Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
My two cents: Anyone who one-sidedly condemns Hamas/Palestine is tacitly endorsing a return to the status quo, which is unacceptable to me.

It's clear that many aspects of Hamas' attack are despicable and likely counterproductive. While I think it's correct to condemn such unjustifiable attacks, I can't agree with anybody who merely condemns them. Such people can't truly be interested in peace and justice for both sides.

I emphasize peace and justice because much of the discourse, especially from the west, seems to crave "peace", though I would describe what they want more as "quiet". They want the conflict to resolve itself quietly, one way or another, without destabilizing regional politics or upsetting their allies. The Israeli state's answer to this is to crush Palestine quietly and slowly via blockades, checkpoints, and forced population transfer. The end goal is a quiet "peace" without justice. An atrocity. A mass grave.

This strategy has been in place much longer than Hamas has existed, and would continue were Hamas to disappear. Any discourse which doesn't address this, even if they're pleading for "peace", isn't worth engaging with, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Zzulu posted:

Hamas is a grotesque terror-organisation that should be destroyed utterly. Like, their founding charter from the 80s alone reads like a cartoon villain wrote it.

So in your head, what happens after Hamas is gone? Who steps in to operate whatever civil infrastructure is left behind in Gaza?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

i fly airplanes posted:

The Gaza Strip was formed from the Oslo Peace Accords which gave up Israeli control and put it under Palestinian Authority. The Israelis were removed as part of the Accords: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_disengagement_from_Gaza

Hamas did not "take over" anything.

i fly airplanes posted:

My point is that the Israeli settlements being removed had nothing to do to the credit of Hamas, and instead was part of an internationally celebrated peace agreement.
A bit late, but the suggestion that Israel withdrew from Gaza because of the Oslo Accords is preposterous, and you haven't provided a shred of evidence otherwise.

The reason Israel withdrew is because defending the settlements inside Gaza had become too costly to Israel. The reason this was true settlements in Gaza and not in the West Bank was because of the greater frequency of attacks on the Gaza settlements and the IDF forces deployed to protect those settlements. One group in particular, Hamas, was credited with most of this violent resistance inside Gaza. After the assassination of Hamas' figurehead Ahmed Yassin, the attacks by Hamas intensified greatly, with overall approval from the people of Gaza. Yassin was a very influential spiritual leader outside of Gaza as well, and his assassination marked a big turning point in the conflict. International sentiment quickly turned against the occupation, and Hamas was able to claim much more clout as a legitimate resistance movement.

This happened in March 2004, and within a couple months Sharon's proposed withdrawal went from a fantasy to political reality. It was abundantly clear that the actions of Hamas was the primary reason behind Israel's withdrawal. And this is likely the sole reason that Hamas went on to win the election of 2006, for better or worse. They had made an incredibly compelling case that their means of resistance had worked against Israeli occupation.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's sortof bizarre how the one incident where the fault is debatable is drowning out all the discussion of all the other atrocities where fault is known.

I think it's an appealing topic because it's much more manageable in scope than difficult or abstract topics like "is Hamas bad?". Also people loving love their true crime stories.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Paladinus posted:

I expect more videos from the super secret Hamas bunker soon. As everyone knows, the bunker exists, so it'd be foolish of them not to film something there.

With electricity shortages and constant bombings, the MRI machines are probably out of commission (the door to the first room looks like there was an explosion). It's weird that with an underground command centre interconnected with a system of tunnels as part of 'the city of terror' Hamas would store anything on the surface at all, but if the MRI rooms were unused, keeping patients' or guards' weapons and kit hidden there wouldn't be a completely outlandish idea, I guess.

The "guns behind an MRI" video isn't very surprising TBH. The magnetic field from an MRI scanner is typically "always on", but it actually requires some amount of power to a cryostat in order to maintain the magnetic field. After losing all power, the helium will slowly boil off until the magnet quenches (several hours to days, depending on the scanner), and the magnetic field is gone.

Maintaining a working MRI scanner in a setting like Gaza is immensely challenging, they require frequent service from specialized technicians, and there's practically no support offered outside of Europe/North America (I can't tell from the clip who manufactured that scanner though). In any case it's obvious that the magnet in the clip had quenched, possibly long before the clip was recorded.

Anyways there's plenty of reason to dismiss this video, but the MRI scanner isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm baffled by the suggestion that a strike on a country's consulate/embassy is somehow ranked below an attack within the country's borders (especially when said attack is on state/military personnel or infrastructure).

I means it would be one thing if Iran had leveled a hospital in Tel-aviv, but come on.