Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Would the same work for "I hate Palestine"?

Also:

The internet is currently is full of Gazan civilians and kids celebrating and supporting the massacre, used to justify their death.

We are really back in the days of 9/11 because that is exactly what was broadcasted, this time with Iraqis celebrating those deaths. And it's being used to gin the same thing: bloodlust for the deaths of thousands of Arab children.

It's like I've time traveled again, seeing those same narratives used to bolster the same awful actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ugh just read this bit re-reading about the Gaza blockade:

While the import of food is restricted through the Gaza blockade, the Israeli military destroys agricultural crops by spraying toxic chemicals over the Gazan lands, using aircraft flying over the border zone. According to the IDF, the spraying is intended "to prevent the concealment of IED's [Improvised Explosive Devices], and to disrupt and prevent the use of the area for destructive purposes."[262]

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

So, basically, "you could have fought a futile fight for me and died instead of trying to stay out of the way and dying by my hand!" What a compelling argument.

Stop dying you cowards!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Honest question, everyone has been talking about Israel shutting off water/electricity to Gaza, but why is it Gaza is dependent on Israel for those things in the first place? Why has Hamas from 2006 to 2023 not built their own electric plants or water purification plants? Are they just too small to run those things, or has Israel had a formal policy to stop or destroy any efforts by Hamas to build such buildings and make themselves more independent?

I know Israel has a blockade against Gaza that Egypt assists with, and controls what goes in and out of Gaza, so have they made sure Gaza can't buy anything that can help them build these plants and not be dependent on an enemy state?

This article (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/17/crisis-gaza-why-food-water-power-running-out) by the Guardian goes into the ramifications of electricity and water being turned off by Israel, and mentions there is (one) power plant, and families have personal desalination plants for water drinking, but unless Israel has been actively sabotaging efforts to become independent from them, it seems bonkers that Hamas has not tried to build up that infrastructure.

Didn't Turkey in the 2020 Armenia-Azerbaijan war tell the Armenian government slyly that they would "finish what they started in 1915?" Also, they're currently colonizing the hell out of Cyprus, with ethnic cleansing of Greeks a slow going process. They would be incredibly hypocritical in these cases.

There was a pretty great article by a poster here focusing on water in the Gaza strip (97% of which is unfit for human consumption). I believe the poster stated that Israel actually limited the amount of deep water wells that Palestine is able to dig. This made me start to look into the issue.

quote:

Gaza normally gets its water supplies from a combination of sources, including a pipeline from Israel, desalination plants on the Mediterranean Sea and wells. Those supplies were slashed when Israel cut off water, along with the fuel and electricity that power water and sewage plants, in the wake of the Hamas attacks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...yGwOU3eVEaLl12e

Desalination plants and an overburdened aquifer is the vast majority of water sources for Gaza. The former is selectively shut down by Israel since the latter country controls most of the electricity going into the territory. Since wells need to be dug thru machinery, this is also impacted by these electricity and fuel cuts (import blockade).

Oh and about that 97 percent unusable water

quote:

After 16 years of a joint Israeli-Egyptian blockade, imposed after Hamas seized control of the exclave in 2007, clean water was already one of the most pressing concerns in the strip. Almost 97% of the water in Gaza’s sole aquifer is not potable; without proper maintenance and with Israeli restrictions on imports and electricity, sewage treatment plants were overwhelmed years ago. Untreated waste has flowed directly into the Mediterranean for more than a decade.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...out?bshm=rime/2

Not only that, Israel DOES require permission from ppl in Gaza to dig new wells. Here's an article covering this from decades ago

quote:

Israel has been restricting Palestinian water use by obligating Palestinians to request authorisation prior to any water-development constructions – such as the drilling of new wells – and by using quotas to limit Palestinians’ water pumping (Isaac, 1994). Whilst authorisations to dig new wells were rarely granted to Palestinians, 36 new wells were drilled in Jewish settlements on the West Bank between 1967 and 1989 (Lowi, 1993).

https://climate-diplomacy.org/case-studies/israel-palestine-water-sharing-conflict

So Israel has caused the Palestinian water crisis in three ways: barring new wells from being dug explicitly, cutting off electricity so that they can't use seawater, and lastly controlling the import of materials and fuel to allow Palestinians from creating new plants or pulling from existing or new wells.

It's been a long term strangulation taking place over decades.

Oh and about that aquifer, one reason why it's so taxed is that Israel has been pulling from it for years, even from Gaza territory.

quote:

Meanwhile, Israel extracted heavily from the Coastal Aquifer, which runs continuously under both Gaza and Israel—and, of course, is a natural feature that doesn’t observe borders.20 Withdrawing water for use in Israel depletes the water available in Gaza. Some Israeli wells have even been drilled within Gaza. For example, Israel developed a series of wells within Gaza extracting 5–8 mcm/y to irrigate crops cultivated in its settlements there (Israel dismantled those settlements in Gaza in 2005). These extractions represented about 6 percent of Gaza’s water use at the time.21

https://tcf.org/content/report/saving-gaza-begins-water/

And once again, Israel actually prevents Palestinians from gaining new water sources (I need to repeat it to believe it myself, it's so shocking)

quote:

Farmers are prevented from drilling new wells or improving old ones, installing pumps and even collecting rainwater, where their springs are seized and their water tanks, cisterns and pipelines destroyed while settlements and roads serving "Eretz Israel" are erected on their agricultural land.

Israeli settlers consume six times the amount of water permitted to their Palestinian neighbours, who are forced to purchase expensive water extracted from the West Bank by Mekorot, the Israeli National Water Carrier, in order to overcome shortfalls in water allocation and frequent water shut-offs

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/how-israel-weaponises-water-gaza-strip

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Personally I feel that there is a distinction between "Israel prevents Gaza from having fresh water" and "Israel deliberately poisons Gaza drinking water" that isn't just pedantic. The latter extremely strongly implies somewhere between "has industrial contaminants they deliberately dump" and "deliberately acquires poison for the purpose" which is very very different from being huge shitheads on the logistics and infrastructure level.

that said, I like source posting a lot so this worked out, thanks

Destroying and cutting off the supply of sewage processing plants that result in unusable water used by the vast majority of Palestinians doesn't come across as poisoning to you?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brucolac posted:

Apparently it's very important that we say things like 'Israel actively and aggressively makes it impossible for Palestinians to access potable water through a range of military and governance approaches' instead.

Edit: Also examples of literal water poisoning have been provided anyway, making that whole conversation moot.

Yeah I was a couple of pages behind, and it's been well established since then.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mannerup posted:

it’s clear the intent was textbook terrorism; using violence against civilians to achieve political aims, the actions of taking civilians hostage and recording the atrocities themselves to disseminate on social media were in pursuit of those aims. I think trying to frame it as just wanting to slaughter jews for it’s own sake or an oppressor/oppressed framework both fail to adequately describe the nature of the attack

Ironically similar to the tactics used by Zionists against the British Palestinian Proctectorate in the 1940s

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AL1IoXBaEv2yfvY

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Okay I'm going to regret this because it's not like this argument hasn't played out exactly the same way a million times and there isn't really anything new to say, but the Palestinians have rejected every single peace deal that's ever been on the table.

Now you might not think that any of the deals they have been offered were any good or should have been accepted but the course of the conflict has been that the Palestinians have repeatedly made the strategic decision to reject offers in the expectation that in the long term they will be able to get better terms, with the reality being that every time they have done this the terms on offer have gotten worse.

Yeah Israel has all the power and that makes it incumbent on Israel to be the party driving for a serious peace, but one of the big blockers to be overcome that is in the Palestinian camp is that getting to a deal is going to require their society to come to terms with the fact that their national strategy for the last 75 years has been a disaster.

You have a source for this? Because I have sources that claim otherwise. It's Israel that violates peace deals.

quote:

Sadly, the Jewish fanatic who assassinated Rabin in 1995 achieved his broader aim of derailing the peace train. In 1996 the rightwing Likud returned to power under the leadership of Binyamin Netanyahu. He made no effort to conceal his deep antagonism to Oslo, denouncing it as incompatible with Israel's right to security and with the historic right of the Jewish people to the whole land of Israel. And he spent his first three years as PM in a largely successful attempt to arrest, undermine, and subvert the accords concluded by his Labour predecessors.

Particularly destructive of the peace project was the policy of expanding Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian territory. These settlements are illegal under international law and constitute a huge obstacle to peace. Building civilian settlements beyond the Green Line does not violate the letter of the Oslo accords but it most decidedly violates its spirit. As a result of settlement expansion the area available for a Palestinian state has been steadily shrinking to the point where a two-state solution is barely conceivable.

The so-called security barrier that Israel has been building on the West Bank since 2002 further encroaches on Palestinian land. Land-grabbing and peace-making do not go together: it is one or the other. Oslo is essentially a land-for-peace deal. By expanding settlements all Israeli governments, Labour as well as Likud, contributed massively to its breakdown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/12/oslo-israel-reneged-colonial-palestine?bshm=rime/2

Israel has gone to pains to violate or undermine any peace deal with the Palestinians in their colonialist mission to grab more land. It's made any sort of agreement a joke that that Israel disregards at their leisure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

20 aid trucks were allowed into Gaza today https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/17/middleeast/rafah-border-crossing-gaza-israel-explained-intl/index.html

Yeah, its extremely obvious at this point Israel did the attack, I don't understand how this is at all in dispute from so many people. A few months from now Israel will take responsibility (for a second time).

20 aid trucks when WHO says a hundred is needed per a day. Israel didn't open up the UN built terminal that could handle bigger aid imports. Wonder why.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Isnt Bibi the reactionary part of the government himself? He has promised revenge and a high death toll since the start of this. His desire for the genocide of Palestinians has been well documented for years now.

[edit]
https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-10-22-23/index.html

The U.S. is putting pressure on Israel to delay their ethnic cleansing campaign with ground forces of Gaza. Once Israel enters Gaza, it's going to turn into a bloodbath where their troops are not going to care who does and doesn't have a gun in their hands.

Netanyahu's election in the 90s spelled the death of any real peace process with the Palestinians. He really is the singular force for instability and war crimes in the region. The body count associated with his prime ministerships is staggering.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yep, letting these trucks in is to just calm down international pressure on Israel and make it look like they are doing something that doesn't involve killing everyone in Gaza. 20 trucks isn't even the bare minimum though.

And lol here's the natural ending to it

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1716102678986580355

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nessin posted:

I mean, 1995 to 2005 Gaza was certainly a more open period for Gaza specifically and they had the opportunity to show the world something during those years. Didn't go that way, but that was a valid opportunity for them to do so.

They also had the opportunity during the election. Even if people would refuse to vote for Fatah, they could have abstained or voted for someone else besides the organization who was explicitly devoted to genocide (whether you believe their future changes, in 2005 it was very explicit). That would have been an opportunity to show the world.

Could you state why 1995-2005 was an opportunity for Gaza to "show the world something" when you had rampant settlerism and land confiscation, and any decisions typically handled by a government handled by an occupying force that controlled their borders, wave arrested and tortured their people, and stole their natural resources, down tp preventing wells from being dug? If you're gonna post such a bold claim, could you at least provide some sources

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nessin posted:

Because 1995 was the turnover from Gaza-Jericho and Oslo II, so Gaza had some self-determination and was making their own government decisions and laws. Specific to your comment here, 1995 is the point when "any decisions typically handled by a government handled by an occupying force that controlled their borders" was no longer an accurate statement thanks to Gaza-Jericho. In addition Egypt, who to remind you controls one of those borders, relations were still good as far as I'm aware and Israel wasn't enforcing a strict blockade like they were prior to that or after the 2005 election.

The Gaza Israeli border [which has 4 crossings] was built in 1994. And before 2005

quote:

In 1993, Israel and the Palestinian Liberation Organization signed the first of the Oslo Accords establishing the Palestinian Authority with limited administrative control of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Pursuant to the Accords, Israel continues to maintain control of the Gaza Strip's airspace, land borders (with the exception of Gaza's border with Egypt, abandoned by Israel in 2005), and territorial waters.

In 2005, Israel unilaterally withdrew its troops from the Gaza Strip, along with thousands of Israeli settlers. Israel thus claims to have ended the occupation. However, this claim has been challenged on the basis that Israel continues to exercise control over Gaza's territorial waters and airspace, despite Gaza not being part of Israel and Gazans not having Israeli passports.[8]

Barrier structure
Israel started construction of the first 60 kilometers (37 mi) long barrier along its border with the Gaza Strip in 1994. In the 1994 Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, it was agreed that "the security fence erected by Israel around the Gaza Strip shall remain in place and that the line demarcated by the fence, as shown on the map, shall be authoritative only for the purpose of the Agreement"[9] (i.e. the barrier does not necessarily constitute the border). The initial barrier was completed in 1996.

Before the 2005 disengagement Israeli military maintained a one-kilometer buffer zone within Gaza along the border wall which prevented the militants to approach the border, sometimes with gunfire. After the IDF withdrawal the border became easily reachable by the Palestinians.[10] Therefore Israel launched the construction of the enhanced security system along the Gaza border, estimated to cost $220 million and to be completed in mid-2006.[11]

And based on further reading, the Egyptian side of the border was only handed over to the them in 2004 pursuant to a new deal btw the countries

quote:

In 2004, the Knesset passed a resolution to unilaterally withdraw all Israeli citizens and forces from the Gaza Strip, which went into force in August 2005. To enable Israel's evacuation from the Philadelphi Corridor, while preventing smuggling of weapons from Egypt into the Gaza Strip and infiltration and other criminal activity, Israel signed with Egypt the "Agreed Arrangements Regarding the Deployment of a Designated Force of Border Guards Along the Border in the Rafah Area" (Philadelphi Accord) on 1 September 2005. Under the Philadelphi Accord, Egypt was authorized to deploy border guards along the Philadelphi route to patrol the border on Egypt's side.[4] Part of the agreement was a continuous coordination between Israel and Egypt regarding operations and intelligence.[5]

Much opposition arose within the "Israeli defense establishment" to vacating the Philadelphi route for strategic reasons. The primary concern was the militarization of Gaza and the threat to Israeli security that its militarization would pose. However, it was decided to vacate the corridor in order to prevent Israeli-Palestinian friction which could destabilize the region further.[4]

The border control by Israel only shifted in location after 2005. If you have anything that disagrees please post it. But your statement that Palestinians had control over their borders before 2005 seems incorrect. Which is why I was wondering why you posted that without a source.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nessin posted:

I never said Palestinians had control over their border, so I'm not sure where you got that from and are hyper-focusing on that specific issue. Are you referring to the statement I quoted from your post? In which case the point is that the Gaza Strip gained a Palestinian government authority that could make it's own decisions and thus any decision typically handled by a government was no longer being handled by Israel, who controls most/all of their border. If Egypt didn't have any control of the border on their side of the strip until 2004 I'll admit I didn't know that, but that was just a point I was making that there were a lot less restrictions on the border at that time compared to pre-Oslo and post-Hamas government, which is true regardless of whomever controlled the western border.

Controlling your own borders is a pretty important feature of governance. You brought up the Egyptians controlling their side of the border before 2005, which made me look up to see if that was true. Which it seemingly isn't. Palestinians have never had the "chance" to control their own borders. The blockade in Gaza only changed in location and a level of severity in 2005. So I'm still wondering how the Palestinians had the chance to show the world how they could govern before that.

Not to mention electricity, water, visas, and the administration of taxes and police powers were still in some or total control by Israel during that time. You made the comment. You've been wrong on an important fact so far. What made you post it, and what are the sources for it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nessin posted:

Palestine started issuing their first passports in 1995. The water rights was a specific agreement in the 1995 agreement, so Isreal controlling that was specifically signed away by the PLO and isn't Israel arbitrarily forcing it on Palestine (which I'd argue is far more of a wrong basic fact than a inconsequential to my argument fact, not to mention by your own post Egypt did control the border prior to 2005, 2004 is prior to 2005). Basic Law was written in 1997.

Palestine started issuing passports in 1995. But who got to enter Gaza (along with what, and taxes/fees was paid on them, was never an entirely Palestinian choice).

Regarding water rights, please refer to my effort post regarding through a mix of strategies, including one sided draining of shared reservoirs and the outright banning of well digging in Gaza, Israel always maintain control over water supplies.

Shageletic posted:

There was a pretty great article by a poster here focusing on water in the Gaza strip (97% of which is unfit for human consumption). I believe the poster stated that Israel actually limited the amount of deep water wells that Palestine is able to dig. This made me start to look into the issue.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...yGwOU3eVEaLl12e

Desalination plants and an overburdened aquifer is the vast majority of water sources for Gaza. The former is selectively shut down by Israel since the latter country controls most of the electricity going into the territory. Since wells need to be dug thru machinery, this is also impacted by these electricity and fuel cuts (import blockade).

Oh and about that 97 percent unusable water

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...out?bshm=rime/2

Not only that, Israel DOES require permission from ppl in Gaza to dig new wells. Here's an article covering this from decades ago

https://climate-diplomacy.org/case-studies/israel-palestine-water-sharing-conflict

So Israel has caused the Palestinian water crisis in three ways: barring new wells from being dug explicitly, cutting off electricity so that they can't use seawater, and lastly controlling the import of materials and fuel to allow Palestinians from creating new plants or pulling from existing or new wells.

It's been a long term strangulation taking place over decades.

Oh and about that aquifer, one reason why it's so taxed is that Israel has been pulling from it for years, even from Gaza territory.

https://tcf.org/content/report/saving-gaza-begins-water/

And once again, Israel actually prevents Palestinians from gaining new water sources (I need to repeat it to believe it myself, it's so shocking)

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/how-israel-weaponises-water-gaza-strip

And Egypt did not control their side of the Egyptian Israeli border until the mid 2000s.

quote:

Under the Philadelphi Accord, Egypt was authorized to deploy border guards along the Philadelphi route to patrol the border on Egypt's side.[4] Part of the agreement was a continuous coordination between Israel and Egypt regarding operations and intelligence.[5]

Alchenar posted:

Not necessarily. The Good Friday Agreement very deliberately fudged that issue in order to settle Northern Ireland.

The Palestinians should be able to wear Israel paying for and delivering their border security if they insist. Security is not something Israel will ever give up on, so concessions on security are the things Palestine should be making in abundance in exchange for something elsewhere.

What would Palestine get in that exchange, then the slow (and now very fast) dismantling of their territory, the constant oppression of an invasive and foreign state, and a government that even discriminates against Palestinian Israelies?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

What is the background on these?

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/missed-opportunity-olmert-abbas-and-media-bias

https://www.jns.org/erekat-olmert-offered-abbas-more-than-the-entire-west-bank/

I'm not saying they're correct, but the "israel offered perfectly good solutions but palestinians reject it unreasonably" comes up pretty often and I don't know enough to talk about it.

The Israelis decide what constitutes the West Bank.

quote:

To begin with, the often-repeated line that Barak offered the Palestinians the Gaza Strip and 96% of the West Bank for a state is completely untrue. Barak offered the Palestinians 96% of Israel’s definition of the West Bank, meaning they did not include any of the areas already under Israeli control, such as settlements, the Dead Sea, and large parts of the Jordan Valley. This meant that Barak effectively annexed 10% of the West Bank to Israel, with an additional 8-12% remaining under “temporary” Israeli control for a period of time.

In return for this annexation, Palestinians would be offered 1% of desert land near the Gaza Strip. Thus, Palestinians would need to give up 10% of the most fertile land in the West Bank, in exchange for 1% of desert land. Not to mention that if the past record is any indicator, the additional 8-12% under “temporary” Israeli control would remain so forever.

https://decolonizepalestine.com/myth/palestinians-sabotaged-the-peace-process/

Along with a couple other great addendums (from the same source)

quote:

In addition to all of this, Israel demanded permanent control of Palestinian airspace, three permanent military installations manned by Israeli troops in the West Bank, Israeli presence at Palestinian border crossings, and special “security arrangements” along the borders with Jordan which effectively annexed additional land.

The cherry on top of all of these stipulations, is that Israel would be allowed to invade at any point in cases of “emergency”. As you can imagine, what constituted an emergency was left incredibly vague and up to interpretation. The Palestinian state would be demilitarized, and the Palestinian government would not be able to enter into alliances without Israeli permission. None of these are ingredients for the creation of an actual sovereign state.

But the Israeli conditions did not end here. In the case of East Jerusalem, which was supposed to be the capital of the Palestinian state, Israel refused any form of Palestinian sovereignty over the majority of the city, including many Palestinian neighborhoods. It should be noted that the PA agreed to Israeli sovereignty over Jewish neighborhoods and the Buraq wall, and even proposed Israel annex settlements in East Jerusalem in return for land swaps elsewhere. This was met with Israeli intransigence, and an insistence that the Noble Sanctuary remain under Israeli sovereignty, and that a part of it should be reserved for Jewish worshippers.

Furthermore, when it came to the right of return, Israel refused to admit any responsibility for the millions of refugees it created [You can read more about this here]. The only thing it offered was a very limited return of a very limited number of refugees over a very long period of time.

Ultimately, this “generous offer” amounted to turning the West Bank into non-contiguous cantons, crisscrossed by a network of settlements, roads and Israeli areas. Even the supposed “capital” of the Palestinian state would mostly be under Israeli control, with stipulations and conditions that stripped any real sovereignty from any area of the supposed Palestinian “state”. Not even the sky above Palestinian heads would be under their control, nor the water under their feet, as Israel still demanded access to water resources under the West Bank.

To add insult to injury, Israel was adamant that Arafat declare “the conflict over” with the signing of these accords, meaning that Palestinians could never ask for anything more after this.

Even Shlomo Ben Ami, Israeli Minister of Foreign Affairs at the time, and one of the main negotiators at Camp David, later candidly admitted later that:

“Camp David was not the missed opportunity for the Palestinians, and if I were a Palestinian I would have rejected Camp David, as well.”

As it stands, Palestinian aspirations cannot be allowed to exceed the ceiling of Israeli table scraps. What is acceptable to Palestinians never enters the discussion, which must always be tailored to what Israel is willing to concede. This becomes even more infuriating once you realize that Israel is not really conceding anything; ending its occupation and stopping its settlement activities is merely following international law. It is not a sacrifice -it should be the default position.

This is how all of the “generous” Israeli peace offers play out. The majority of people who hear about this on the news have no clue what the parameters of the offer are. All they hear is that the Palestinians have rejected yet another “peace” initiative by Israel [You can read more about this here]. This is why Israel focuses on the number of offers, because it distracts from their content, similar to the above example regarding army numbers in 1948.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh I personally would have stopped myself from posting gassing as a way to end the conflict.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

By no means am I endorsing. Just posting the obviousness of the situation they’re in under the assumption bibi isn’t stopping. Just like it was obvious that hospitals were on the hit list. They have a literal ocean to pump in if they want. They can fly drones through to inspect. It’s not the 70s anymore

It's absolutely not an obvious thing and incredibly weird and off-putting thing to post. And none of us were posting anything close to that. You just came in to post about sealing up tunnels and gassing people while saying there is no civilian population and it honestly feels like you're just posting your hosed up fantasies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowy posted:

Is there a good resource I can share with someone that will accurately depict what life has been like for Palestinians? Ideally it would cover recent times too.

My political memory is garbage and it’s a shame since my dad worked with conflict resolution in the Middle East and I’ve grown up around these discussions. I’ve been having conversations with someone close to me who seems to give Israel the benefit of the doubt a little too much when the stories I’ve heard all my life have sounded terrifying. They seem to think the 2005 end of military occupation of the Gaza Strip meant that life has been relatively ok there since.

I’d love something I can share that gives a good overview but won’t be so dense with information that it becomes overwhelming

There's alot I could post, but here's an interview about living as a Palestinian Israeli in Israel, and what's it like to live as a second class citizen.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/what-the-war-means-for-palestinians-inside-israel

And here's a video about going back to Hebron to Palestine as an American journalist and seeing what happened to her father's neighborhood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdGcej-6D0

e: it can be overwhelming, so this is just dipping your toe into the context. Gaza is a thousand times worse, so starting from here will give you the beginning of a sense of how things work for Palestinians anywhere under Israeli occupation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

An integrated one-state solution is the only option that doesn't involve expelling hundreds of thousands of settlers. It's not currently popular among Palestinians or Israelis right now but it's the only feasible one. One nation, 2+ states.

There was a time when a two state solution was 100% possible. It was before Israel turned the West Bank into this:

Hard to see how a one state solution is possible when even Palestinian Israelis are treated as second class citizens, reinforced by recent amendments and laws by the Israelis.

I've been doing some research on discriminatory laws against Palestinian Israelis (i..e Palestinians that lived in Israeli territory between 1945 and 1967). Nominally considered Israeli citizens, what they have to deal with is upsetting in its scope and cruelty. Here's a list of some of the laws: https://www.adalah.org/en/law/index

Plus at anytime their lands can be confiscated by newly created exclusively Jewish municipalities, towns, and kibbutzes, which are allowed to exclude anyone that doesn't fit the "social-economic" mold they are looking for, meaning anyone not Jewish, their homes demolished, their rights violated, any social welfare ripped away (like their kids are denied benefits if their parents are arrested for a security offense, that's a loving law).

And guess what? They have segregated loving schools. They reinvented American segregation. Here's a paper about it.

quote:

Data came from visits to 26 schools of all types and levels; interviews with students, teachers, administrators, and specialists; interviews with staff of the Education Ministry; and reviews of official statistical information. Results revealed that nearly 1 in 4 of Israel’s 1.6 million school children received education in a public school system wholly separate from the majority. Their schools differed significantly in quality from the public schools serving Israel’s majority Jewish population in that they offered fewer facilities and educational opportunities than were offered other Israeli children. Palestinian Arab children attended schools with larger classes and fewer teachers than did those in the Jewish school system, with some children having to travel long distances to reach the nearest school. Some Arab schools lacked basic learning facilities, including libraries, computers, science laboratories, and recreation space. Palestinian Arab children with disabilities are particularly marginalized. Palestinian Arab students dropped out of school at three times the rate of Jewish students and were less likely to pass national examinations for a high school diploma. Few attended a university. Israeli government authorities have acknowledged the gaps between Arab and Jewish education, but they have failed to equalize the two systems. The analysis concluded that addressing the cumulative effect of generations of educational disadvantage upon Israel’s Palestinian Arab citizens requires major new initiatives by the government of Israel in recognition of its obligations under national and international law.

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/second-class-discrimination-against-palestinian-arab-children

Since Israel has explicitly written into their laws that Jewish supremacy is the goal of the Israeli state, they can do this and whatever else they want as long as the people involved aren't Jewish.

E2: The only way forward from my position is that Israel as it currently stands, an explicitly settler colonialist country, cannot exist anymore and exist with current human norms and ideas of equality and freedom. That will take an international effort, akin to at least what happened to South Africa.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 25, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiminewt posted:

I don't think many people here care about this but just to clear up some stuff about the education system.

The Israeli school system is completely split up into four. Secular, orthodox, ultra orthodox and Arab. In the Arab one classes are taught in Arabic and the rest is in Hebrew.

A parent can choose which one their child will go to, though obviously for logistical reasons and social reasons an Arab child will likely go to an Arab school. So the segregation isn't enforced by law as much as it is discrimination. Even in mixed towns like Haifa having Arab students in secular schools is rare. I assume it is difficult language-wise, and that students can face racism.

There are a few mixed schools that teach in both languages but they are rare.

As far as the quality of schooling, there is definite discrimination. Though the Christian Arab schools, in contrast to the Muslim ones, are often considered the best in the country (at least as far as grades and such are concerned). I don't really know it too well.

In universities everything is mixed but people mostly stick to their cliques, speaking their native language. My university was like 20-25% Arabs but in most courses you could see that people usually stuck to the own group. There are groups that are more integrated into Israeli society like the Druze, Bedouin and the ex South Lebanon folk.

I think this separation is one of the "original sins" of Israel (it also effects splits inside Jewish society). It is not segregation by law, but segregation by societal pressure, discrimination and momentum.

Thanks for the added information. Everyone should care about this.

When you talk about Bedouins are you also talking about the ones in the Negev, most of whom live in cities and towns Israel, afaik, refuse to see as actual municipalities and regularly demolish? There's this one town I'm aware of that has apparently been demolished by the Israel army 185 times for example.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiminewt posted:

Yes. Most of the Bedouin live in the Negev and nowadays most of them live in urban (recognised) cities and towns (around 60% from figures I could find) . The unrecognised ones are usually very small "villages", and not always occupied year round.

This I think is kind of a separate problem than the general Palestinian one, but more of a problem thst also exists in other parts of the world where modern governments have hard time dealing with nomadic/seminomadic people and try to force them to settle in "official" places.

I'm just trying to get a sense of the discrimination Bedouins might feel, like it is so clearly established for Palestinians. You said they were integrated in larger Israeli society.

Like this Human Rights Watch article which states

quote:

Israel has demolished thousands of Negev Bedouin homes since the 1970s, and hundreds in 2007 alone. Authorities say that 45,000 existing Bedouin homes in approximately 39 “unrecognized” villages were built illegally and thus potential targets for demolition. Israeli officials contend that they are simply enforcing zoning and building codes. But Human Rights Watch found that officials systematically demolish Bedouin homes while often overlooking or retroactively legalizing unlawful construction by Jewish citizens.

While the Bedouin suffer an acute need for adequate housing and for new (or recognized) residential communities, the state instead is developing new homes and communities for Jewish citizens even though some of the more than 100 existing Jewish communities in the Negev sit half-empty. In theory, any citizen can apply to live in these Negev communities, but in practice selection committees screen applicants and accept people based on undefined notions of “suitability” that systematically exclude Bedouin.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2008/03/30/israel-end-systematic-bias-against-bedouin

Suggests that Bedouins are clearly discriminated against by Israel, especially since they apparently number only 170k (45k Bedouin homes are cataloged as being demolished in the report). Those I did see elsewhere the number being closer to 300k.

Either way the large preponderance of Bedouins do apparently live in the Negev, and from my research a significant percentage of them live in these unrecognized villages, alot of times for generations. And following that, from an Amnesty International article

quote:

Israel/OPT: 500 Palestinians facing forcible eviction, displacement, and segregation
An Israeli court has given the go-ahead for the forced eviction of 500 Palestinian Bedouins in the Negev/Naqab region, highlighting the deep discrimination that Palestinian citizens of Israel face under apartheid, Amnesty International said today. In a judgment issued on 27 July, the Beer’sheva Magistrate’s Court said residents of the village of Ras Jrabah must leave their homes, and vacate the lands where their families have lived for decades, by March 2024. They must also pay a fine of 117,000 NIS (approximately 31,700 USD) to cover legal expenses.

The forced evictions are part of the Israeli authorities’ plans to build a new neighbourhood for the city of Dimona, whose inhabitants are mostly Jewish Israelis. Ras Jrabah’s residents will be relocated to an impoverished and segregated Bedouin town nearby.

Being evicted out of your generational home, and paying for settlers to move in is in fact a singular and terrible practice that does not in fact "exist in other parts of the world." It's singular in its cruelty.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

From George Washington University the other night:

Anecdotally, i've heard a lot of Jews, even of the left persuasion, say they feel incredibly unsafe on college campuses. The number of incidents where student groups are just parroting pro-genocide talking points against Israel is insane.

What are these comments, and why are they pro genocide?

E: I can give you the same, except it's Zionist supporters of Israel calling for the death of protestors calling for peace

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyWMQ7tOvX5/

This article goes into the massively angry response to peaceful pro Palestinian and pro ceasefire demonstrations: https://jewishcurrents.org/a-mccarthyite-backlash-against-pro-palestine-speech

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 25, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiminewt posted:

That's bullshit. Less than 50% of Israeli Jews are of European descent.

White supremacy isn't a philosophy based on facts and actual genealogies. It's based on adhering to a set of created cultural signifiers to create a inferior class below them.

This article is pretty pertinent imo

E: link here https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023/10/24/internal-wix-chat-encouraged-staff-to-support-israels-narrative-in-hamas-conflict/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

The usage of the word martyr is appeasement to religion. Appeasing religious extremists is why we’re in this mess. It’s a bad move for the press.

I take flack for arguing that the doctors should tell people to evacuate a hospital the IDF has repeatedly said they are going to bomb otherwise they’re effectively supporting Hamas. Calling them martyred instead of massacred is effectively proving that point correct.

You still tacking to this argument when we had a bonfire medical professional chime in to state the impossibility of moving prematurely born babies and wounded immobile elderly people without alot of dead babies and old people reveals a deranged logical process or just a callous indifference to Palesrtinian death because they are Palestinian.

kiminewt posted:

You don't have to be white to be a racist or a supermacist. It's just a different thing and trying to fit all problems into America shaped holes is reductive.

There is a huge Jewish supremacy problem in Israel, I'll agree with that. But just because people want to display westernism doesn't make it white supremacy.

The important point is that it is supremacy. And supremacist movements tend to want to share commonalities and the same signifiers between each other.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought a people weren't their state? Why should the people collectively be punished? I thought the problem was the government but you're actually saying every Israeli in Israel is at fault? Can you clarify your position? Is this what you believe and if not how are you justifying this?

Who are the people of Israel? Within the area the current state of Israel claims as its own there is about an equal number of Palestinians and Israel living. Break that down further by the fate of Druze, Bedouin, and other disfavored groups in the current official Israeli mileui this thread has gone over at length for the last few pages, and the Israeli elite/settler class is a distinct minority trying to maintain a precarious supremacist hold over the majority of the population. Changing the parameters and current supremacist framework held there would not in fact be hurting "the people" of Israel. It would be helping the majority.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's hard to be sure but either you seem to be justifying ethnically cleansing millions of people which is still a large number of people even just limiting ourselves to the green line, or you're assuming pedipalps made a very different argument then the one they have in fact literally presented as of me writing this post of moving everyone from Israel to the US.

Forcible moving any number of people for reasons of collective punishment is wrong, can you clarify your position, how many people would this be? Do you think this is just about the Israeli settlers in the west Bank or does this also include the millions within the internationally recognized Green line?

I'm not endorsing ethnic cleansing. I was just wondering what you meant by the people of Israel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

1948 was an entire lifetime ago and some Israeli roots go back a century or more. At some point you're just punishing people for being born in the wrong place.

A not-insignificant chunk of Israel's population were originally refugees from other Arab countries that drove out most of their Jews following the Nakba, too. Do they get their ancestral homes back or was that just more of that "good ethnic cleansing" because of the crimes of their co-religionists in another country?

Just have the same laws regarding inheritance that Jewish people get apply to non Jewish people, have Jewish only municipalities welcome non Jewish people, give everyone born under Israeli control the same right as a Jewish person, stop and reimburse (through property transfers) non Jewish people for land confiscation since the creation of the Jewish state.

And then it could actually consider itself a democracy. It's not that crazy. Israel doesn't have to a settler apartheid state that is constantly wobbling on the 3dge of instability as the cruelty it mets out reverberates and twists its institutions.

Israel is pursuing those claims currently (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/israel-said-set-to-seek-250b-compensation-for-jews-forced-out-of-arab-countries/amp/). They would have a much stronger foundation to press their claim if they did the same themselves.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Well those people probably can't work right now. And between that and the 300,000 soldiers called up I'm sure this is taking a pretty significant hit on their economy.

Couple that with Israel's credit downgrade and likely recession: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/10/19/israel-recession-likely-as-war-drags-on-economist-says.html

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

The article repeatedly says both 'jewish' and 'pro israel' and while it's a literal hate crime to intimidate people because they're jewish it seems perfectly reasonable to shout down and scare off pro-israel people, so I'm curious what the real story is. lovely reporting.

CBS article

quote:

There were tense moments at the campus of Cooper Union in Manhattan on Wednesday afternoon.

Students who are pro-Israel say they felt unsafe as pro-Palestinian demonstrators banged and chanted outside the library they were studying in. They tell CBS New York's Lisa Rozner school staff locked them in the library due to safety concerns.

Police say there were no injuries, arrests or property damage, and that this was a planned demonstration. The NYPD is reviewing surveillance video.

quote:

Off camera, several pro-Palestinian students told CBS New York they planned to protest throughout the entire school and did not target or threaten the Jewish students in the library.

Students representing the pro-Palestinian rally sent CBS New York a statement that read in part:

"We, students of Cooper Union, planned a peaceful protest to demand our institutions acknowledgement of the Israeli apartheid. This was in response to the school's one-sided stance and participation in the occupation of Palestine. We planned to peacefully protest outside the building before walking in and continuing our protest outside the president's office. We concluded our protest by calling out our demands through the hallways of the entire foundation building. When we reached the library, we were told that it was closed so we continued chanting outside the glass window of the library. Many different students of all backgrounds were in the library at the time. We would like to make it clear that our protest was not targeting any individual students or faculty, but the institution itself. We would like to reiterate that we DO NOT under any circumstance condone antisemitism and many members of the protest were Jewish."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/cooper-union-pro-palestinian-rally-jewish-students-library/

Peace protest tried to get to the President's office got rerouted and held a rally outside the bldg. Some kids in the library in the library overreacted.

This is just yet another attempt by Mister Fister posting sensationalist articles to create an image of something that does not exist.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

selec posted:

You, and a lot of other people would be extremely well-served by reading a new book by journalist Vincent Bevins, IF WE BURN. It tracks the history of and reflects on the success or lack thereof of protest movements around the world in the last 10-15 years.

TL;DR is ask the people who filled up Tahrir Square if they felt like they got what they wanted, or if they ended up with something quite different than what they wanted. But seriously, read that book. Protests aren’t enough, and may in fact be counterproductive depending on how they go. You might end up empowering the very forces you opposed if they can hijack it, which happened globally several times in recent history. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Basically that's what happened with the US protests of the 1960s as well. Just a route to reactionary land.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A list of entire extended families destroyed by Israel

https://twitter.com/AseelAlBajeh/status/1717588222845354231

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Israel just cut off all internet and cellular service from the Gaza strip

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

As I said the animation is dumb, but that place has been used with regularity as a Hamas strongpoint. The original PBS documentary from the Fatah/Hamas war is unfindable now, called 'Gaza E.R', but the reporting on the report still exists.

The Washington Post made the de facto HQ statement as far back as 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/2014072...445d_story.html

The article mentions Hamas leaders being in the hallways. Also the author of that article has been suspended by the Washington Post multiple times for plagiarism

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Marenghi posted:

It's hard not to look at what Israel is doing and not be reminded of Nazi Germany. The worst of it are the leaders who said never again, and made a big deal about WW2 history during the Ukraine war. Are all supporting Israel's "right" to genocide.

It's very close to what the Nazis did to Leningrad from the cutting off of water, power, food to the indiscriminate bombing tk the language being used. And that was the greatest act of genocide in the second World War outside the genocide of Jewish people. 2 million people died in Leningrad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Where we talking about Gaza and the largest outdoor prison where 98 percent of its water isn't fit for human consumption, cement hasn't been legally imported since 2005, the wretched and hopeless existence of Palestinian children and babies, before 10/7? It served its function, of focusing the entire world onto it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mannerup posted:

the "it" in this sentence being committing atrocities against hundreds of civilians, including people at a music festival, indiscriminately slaughtering people as well as taking children, foreign workers and the elderly as hostages

they sure got the world's attention alright, except not for the reasons you are stating here

Terrorism has historically been used by resistance groups around the world, and it is effective, yes. My point remains, focus on Gaza had dwindled in the last few years of the occupation. 10/7 drew the world's attention right back to it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mannerup posted:

as long as you accept that its completely morally indefensible behavior they are engaging in for the purpose of gaining political support and sympathy for their cause, then fine. don't exactly think it's a great tactic to go slaughter a bunch of women and children when you fall out of the news cycle.

You seem to be eliding the slow and continuous oppression of the Israeli occupation, with untold thousands dying as their lives are snuffed out by an apartheid settler regime backed by long guns that have continued to rape, beat, and kill women and children for years with no considerable opposition.

Hamas is the only reason that Israel settlers aren't personally oppressing Palestinians in Gaza right now. I'm not a Hamas supporter, but what other options are there against the slow and growing encroachment? A peaceful March for freedom in 2018 ended up with a few thousand Palestinian youths being gunned down.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But do you think the occupation is an example of ongoing atrocities? Because it's hard to tell from your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

The situation would be fundamentally different. Unlike in Iraq and Afghanistan, where it was essentially impossible to regulate the flow of fighters, weapons, and ammunition into the country, Gaza would represent a tiny area where all access into and out of the area can be tightly controlled provided that whoever ends up administering the strip has sufficient personnel to enforce borders and law and order. The question would be whether this third party has any ability to really impact the long-standing political, territorial, and economic issues of the Gaza Strip and whether they can win buy-in from the populace.

Because Israel had such an uneventful time occupying Gaza the last time around.

E: Ehud Barak is a noted war criminal responsible for the deaths of thousands of Palestinians.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 1, 2023