Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a question - there are multiple instances in the west (and probably elsewhere) where a revolutionary/paramilitary group has acted as the de-facto or acknowledged military wing of a political party. Obvious examples of this being Sinn Fein/IRA and HB/ETA on the left, or the NSDAP/Brownshirts and PNF/Blackshirts on the right.

The media often talks about the "political wing" of Hamas - is there any specific reason why Hamas's political and paramilitary structures are under the same umbrella, or is this just not historically unusual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

apatheticman posted:

You've essentially done the work for me; if Israel can blatantly violate the common agreements that international law is supposed to uphold with little to no repercussions from the power brokers that are supposed to uphold these rules, then their discussion and enforcement are essentially moot.

I think an issue here is that discussions of war crimes are frequently used as a demonstration that Israel's actions are wrong in an ethical or moral sense, and "they are flagrantly violating international laws" is a common argument for Israel's actions being immoral.

It is very difficult to discuss acts of war in terms of morality, so the laws of war sometimes serve as a substitute. Following the law is obviously not the same as morality, but I think the resistance to just saying that the laws are moot comes up not because people think the laws are likely to be enforced, but because the laws are frequently used as the grounds to point out how unethical Israel's actions are.

To put it another way, materialist/power-based/Marxist frameworks may provide a useful explanation of Israel's actions, but I think many are less invested in that, than they are in discussing the immorality of their actions specifically.