Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

BougieBitch posted:

It's the end of the Monopoly game where you can either keep rolling the dice knowing you are statistically guaranteed to be completely zeroed out, or just flip the table over and at least you won't have to watch it happen

It seems similar to the Warsaw uprising. Very little chance of success but preferable to those under subjugation than to stand by and be slowly wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Fill Baptismal posted:

I don't know about it being intentionally chosen, but otherwise, yeah. This wasn't a mob of angry teenagers, they were a paramilitary unit that successfully launched an airborne assault. They clearly had communication, at least some training, and some kind of chain of command. The "burst out of a cage, filled with rage!" talk doesn't really make sense in that context. They're as culpable as any other unit of soldiers would be. Would a group of Ukranian airborne infantry landing at rave in Rostov-on-don and emptying magazines into the festival-goers be an example of "unleashed rage"? No, it would be a war crime.

Ukraine is a free country with a professionally training military. There's a bit of a difference between that and a paramilitary force which was formed in an open air prison.

The IRA carried out bombings in their fight for Irish independence from Britain, that would have been considered war crimes if done by a nations army.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 9, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Excerpt from a book explaining the violence of the Haiti slave revolt.
Important to put in context the momentery violence of a resistance movement Vs the systemic, on-going violence imposed on them by their oppressors.

https://x.com/TheGreeneBJ/status/1466911189661802502?s=20

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The IRA's tactics were not even remotely comparable to what Hamas did.

The original IRA carried out targeted executions of off-duty police as well as civilian informers and suspected informers during the original Irish war of independence which would eventually lead to the 26 counties being free of British rule.

The provisional IRA of the northern campaign in more recent history carried out bombings of civilian infrastructure.

True, while not directly comparable in number of casualties, they did carry out a series of car bombs on Bloody Friday which lead to civilian casualties. That attack was a direct response to Bloody Sunday when British paratroopers opened fire on peaceful protesters. Which does compare to the IDF shooting Palestinian protesters earlier this week.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Zzulu posted:

I mean, it's fairly clear the concert was a target.

The alternative is that they accidentally coordinated a huge amount of soldiers using paragliders to fly 5km from the border and accidentally landed exactly at the huge gathering of people and accidentally killed hundreds of them while kidnapping many more (some of which ended up dead on camera later...)

It wasn't a snafu by scared angry teenage rebels, it was a coordinated terrorist attack by veteran militants, as the pictures show.

I mean the rave was held just on the border of Gaza, and it wasn't pre-announced where it would be held.

It's very likely they had co-ordinated a huge amount of soldiers using paragliders to escape over the border and by sheer chance came across the rave as an opportunity target.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 9, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

That tends to happen when you commit such a wanton act of slaughter. I don't think that will change imminently either because more and more details are going to come out about the abuses visited upon the captives.

Israel has cut off water and power to Gaza. And bombed it's only operational hospital

What is that if not a wanton act of slaughter. The dead in Gaza when this settles will vastly outnumber the rave, but I doubt the media will consider the former.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Sri.Theo posted:

I don’t want to watch the video but are the stories about a grandmother’s execution being live-streamed on her Facebook page true?

i heard that when the attacks first broke the news. People were saying Hamas logged into her phone and posted her death to Facebook, but I saw nobody with the link or any corroboration so I'm assuming it was just a rumour, until I hear otherwise.

Edit: Perhaps I was wrong.

Dopilsya posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it was livestreamed. But she was murdered and pictures of the body were posted to her socials from her phone.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That is absolutely awful. Maybe I've been lucky, my twitter timeline has been light on gore compared to what others are saying they've been seeing.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

nogoodpeople posted:

They should do what they can to de-accelerate said apartheid and genocide. Not accelerate it. Simple as that.

But they've tried periods of non-aggression and it's only lead to settlers being free to take more land.

It's very easy to say it's a choice between engaging in violence and being quickly genocided for it, and some second option which very likely doesn't exist of reaching the right combination of peaceful protest and appealing to Israeli empathy to stop them from being slowly genocided.

Just to bring it back to the earlier example of the provisional IRA. Their campaign started because the British had made peaceful means of change impossible due to massacring peaceful protesters.
And the campaign of violence only came to an end when the bombing campaign extended to the British mainland which made negotiations preferable to continued fighting of the insurgency.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 10, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, that’s war alright

Russia was more restrained in their war.

This is less a war, and more total destruction.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

nogoodpeople posted:

Beyond that, blaming the ravers and saying they deserved to be murdered and rape for going to a rave in Israel on the grounds that is an apartheid state or because of how it treats Palestinians is loving insane.

There is not a single nation or region on this planet that you can't find moral qualms with. America? Practically an apartheid state full of racists and murderers. Europe? A ethnocentric region who is actively trying to kill refugees from other nations, historically the source of thousands of pogroms against jews and other forms of ethnic cleansing. The birthplace of Facism. Australia? They run concentration camps in Papau New Guinea. Asia? Ethnocentric nations that hate immigrants and each other. Central & South America? Countries inhabited by the descendants of Spaniards who killed and raped all the natives.

By that loving logic you can't ever go to a party anywhere or ever have fun. By that logic just loving kill yourself there isn't a moral nation on the planet you can live in. We should all be dead serious and never have fun ever in our lives.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

They're not like for like comparisons. It was a rave right outside an open air concentration camp. I'm not condoning the rave massacre but to say it's the equivalent of having rave anywhere in Europe is incorrect.

It would be more akin to having a rave near a beach on the Mediterranean with washed up dead refugees. Or close to one of the actual Nazi concentration camps in Europe.
It's gauche at best.

Brucolac posted:

Reg date October 9, 2023

Hmm, seems this guy has an agenda behind wanting to minimize what Israel has done and is doing.

Shaocaholica posted:

Why are they giving warnings now?

Maybe they're learning which tactics work. Calling in attacks was key to the Provisional IRAs campaign in Northern Ireland.

Hitting infrastructure damages the enemy, killing innocent civilians in the process can hurt popular support.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 10, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I thought it was also a war crime to show off dead soldiers on film as you brag about killing them.
Or is that only a war crime when Russia does it in Ukraine?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

They certainly used to make those comparisons. You previously gave me the example of Mary Lou McDonald.
https://www.irishtimes.com/world/mi...truly-horrific/

She does also go on to criticise Israel, but she is unequivocal in her condemnation of Hamas' actions. Hamas has alienated even people who were firmly on their side.

There's an election coming up soon and the opposition are using Sinn Fein's historical support of Palestine as a line of attack in light of recent events, so her statement has to be viewed through the politics of elections.

On another note.
https://twitter.com/yaelbt/status/1711749865829474351

Do all Kibbutz have a military security coordinator leading armed militias?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

zoux posted:

My friend asked me this question and I didn't have a good answer: Reporting on this sounds like Hamas just waltzed in and were able to massacre people with no resistance. He asked me "I thought Israel was one of the most armed countries in the world" and "Where were the police" and I didn't know. I haven't been following the details on this that closely because fog-of-war reporting is bad and also this is all so depressing, so I apologize if this has been addressed before, but was there civilian or police resistance in the Israeli towns where this happened?

e: I did see that one tweet about the security coordinator who led the defense of her kibbutz, but that's all I've seen and don't know if that was common or extraordinary

There's at least one other village, Ein Habsor, which successfully repealed an attack.

Either the others didn't expect to need a self defense force. Or they had them but we're defeated by the attackers.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 11, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
What is going on with some of these hands, feet and faces?
Looks fine at a glance but zoomed in they seem to exhibit artifacts of AI generation.

https://twitter.com/IsraelinPanama/status/1711535585775530373

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
You can see why famous people are reluctant to support Palestine. Israeli government trying organize pile-ons against anyone who isn't 100% pro Israel even when they are carrying out a genocide.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

DelilahFlowers posted:

Literally who. The gently caress is this

Researcher for Australian Strategic Policy Institute. His original role seems to have been the Xinjiang 'genocide', then he was reporting on the Ukraine War, and now he's adding his opinions to the Palestine conflict.

Amazing how some 'low content rando twitters' are acceptable if it's on the Israeli side. But if it's critical it warrants a probe.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 18, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Did you read your fact check or just the headline. We can't view the video they use as proof because Youtube banned the channel.

quote:

But the Hamas-run Palestinian Authority’s Ministry of Interior has told residents not to pay attention to the IDF warnings.

It issued a directive “calling all our people not to deal or pay attention to the psychological warfare carried out by the occupation through rumours that broadcast across his media and delivering publications and communications on the phones of citizens”.

We don’t know how many of the Palestinian fatalities are the result of people choosing to ignore warnings from the Israelis.

We do know that some civilians have died after being hit with no warning – like the four Palestinian boys from the same family who were killed on Gaza beach last week.

There are also reports of people being given insufficient time to get clear of their buildings before the shells or missile hit.

Some journalists in the conflict zone report that civilians may be reluctant to flee their homes even after receiving warnings because they believe it is safer to stay indoors during the bombardment.

It's hardly proof they are using civilians as shields. All it claims is Hamas encourages civilians to defend their homes by staying put. People are still free to make up their own minds, which some do believing it's safer in their homes than to evacuate under fire. And that many civilians are killed by attacks without warnings.

And given the attacks on humanitarian corridors I can see why some might consider the warnings a trap.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Saladman posted:

So, essentially putting a million people into an actual honest-to-god massive open-air prison (I never quite understood how Gaza was the "world's largest" open-air prison when it's both a tiny fraction of the size of the DPRK and quite substantially more developed than anything outside Pyongyang, but I digress). I really can't imagine either Gazans or right-wing Israelis actually accepting that, but I also don't see anyone actually accepting any of the potential outcomes.

The DPRK is controlled by it's own government, Gaza is controlled by Israel. To call the DPRK an open-air prison would be to call all repressive, authoritarian countries open-air prisons.

Tigey posted:

Forgive my cynicism but once Israel forces them out of Gaza and into makeshift camps in the desert, I don't see it ever letting them back in.

It sounds like a death march into the desert

It does, doesn't it.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 20, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

ummel posted:

I'll take your word for it, but I was under the impression the at least tried to kidnap or kill everyone they came across, even non-Israelis (eg, Arabs & Asian migrant workers). Have there been survivor stories where people were spared? Genuinely asking because I haven't seen any.

What I'm referring to: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/israel-hamas-migrant-workers-thailand-philippines-nepal-rcna120249
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/13/world/middleeast/arab-israeli-hamas-attacks.html

In the immediate aftermath there was more than one report of them sparing people.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-ofakim-one-womans-graceful-bravery-offers-precious-solace-to-a-grieving-nation/

quote:

The Edrys’ next-door neighbor, 60-year-old Shmuel Schwartz, also had a close encounter with a terrorist, which he described with humor. “I came out to see what the noise was. A man strapping an AK-47 put his hand around my shoulder and started walking with me in the direction I was headed. I didn’t say anything and neither did he. Then I asked myself: ‘Hey, why am I walking around with this guy like he’s my girlfriend?’ so I kind of shrugged him off and kept walking. I have no idea why he didn’t shoot me,” said Schwartz

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Netyanahu's advisor sharing AI generated pictures of Hamas leaders living a life of 'luxury'. Wonder will they blame the artifacts on a filter like when the Israel embassy shared a photo with similar artifacts. Though in that case I believe it was actually innocent and caused by combining multiple photos together in a composite.

https://x.com/HananyaNaftali/status/1715416552047059366?s=20

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Inferior Third Season posted:

Google and Meta not tolerating even the most subdued and milquetoast of criticisms of Israel.

https://fortune.com/2023/10/20/web-summit-google-meta-stripe-pull-out-israel-hamas-gaza/

He's since been pressured into resigning as CEO. But even that isn't good enough. They are saying he should divest entirely from the company.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Brucolac posted:

Israel is on record as not wanting an investigation. I've not seen Hamas say the same. Until I do, I'll regard that as significant.

AFAIK Hamas said they want an investigation. Which does seem to indicate who's at fault.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

PT6A posted:

Well, it's Zionist tradition to take people's poo poo, and Palestinian tradition to launch rockets. I mean, I just don't see how you resolve these fundamental cultural conflicts!

I feel like a lot of people ITT would have been arguing in favour of South African Apartheid, on the basis that there's just no other way it could possibly work. It's a very small-minded way of looking at things, by which I don't mean "stupid," but just reflective of a worldview which is ignorant and closed to possibility. I don't think it's morally "evil" or anything, because I think it's done without intent; it's just sad to see.

I mean people did defend it on that basis. There was definitely an element of it having gone on for so long and oppressed black people so bad, that ended it would result in white's being killed for revenge. Similar argument gets made in the I/P situation.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Neurolimal posted:

Fairly clear why Israel is reluctant to negotiate for hostages; all signs suggest that Hamas is observant of the Quran with regards to treatment of captives. It makes the already-absurd argument that this is an existential war of defense against Jew-haters harder to sell.

It's heartening to hear that the hostages are doing well, that Hamas' network is still alive, and that survivors & hostages have easily been the sanest voices in the conflict. I imagine part of that is getting extended time to interact with each other, but I believe either Emanrescu or Alzhared pointed out that the kibbutz bordering Gaza are more left-leaning than others; possible that a lot of the hostages are predisposed to understanding.

The testimony of hostages released thus far does contradict the popular sentiment pushed online by Israeli supporters. That the hostages are being raped and tortured by the bestial Hamas.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

mannerup posted:

people that commit atrocities against civilians, women and children are completely morally indefensible and saying this only shows your complete lack of a moral compass. you have nothing worthwhile to say about morality if you tacitly endorse those sick and depraved actions as “methods” you don’t quite agree with, but think the benefits of slaughtering women and children outweigh the human costs

absolutely deranged posting

So the IRA was indefensible?
Were the British wrong to negotiate peace because it was tacitly endorsing those methods as effective?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

mannerup posted:

I will once again state in this thread that I believe not committing atrocities against civilians, women and children is a categorical imperative; there is no situation in which it is morally justifiable. None. Zero.

I haven't seen anyone defending atrocities or kidnapping of civilians. But I believe you can support their cause while not agreeing with every action.

Your hardline stance that once they engage in a single atrocity to support their cause shows you have no moral compass basically precludes supporting every anti-colonial and independence movement that has ever existed.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Randalor posted:

Mid-Life Crisis was advocating killing doctors and bombing hospitals was a-ok, does that count as "defending atrocities"?

I missed that. I was responding to the first post on this page which claimed it was 'morally indefensible and showed a complete lack of moral compass' in response to this.

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting hamas. I don't full on agree with their methods, but they are freedom fighters, not a terrorist group.

Which I took issue with. To say you cannot defend a cause because of atrocities committed basically precludes defending every ant-colonial independence movement of the 20th century.

ImpAtom posted:

You can criticize a group without criticizing the thing they are fighting for, especially if you believe the actions they take are not something that benefits or helps the cause they are fighting for.

Agreed.

mannerup posted:

it shows moral consistency in believing certain actions are categorically immoral in all cases. if you want to make the argument that they committed morally indefensible actions in pursuit of their movement, I would accept that argument. I cannot accept that it is morally permissible.

‘Support their cause while not agreeing with every action’ is different from saying ‘support their cause while believing they carried out morally indefensible actions in pursuit of it’. just ‘not agreeing’ is something over tactics, not moral atrocities

imo there's no difference between those two statements. The first is just less specific than the second.

I support the Cuban revolution, the IRA independence campaign, and the ANC campaign. While not agreeing with all their actions. But I understand it's easier to judge from the sidelines and that real war is messy, especially asymmetric warfare where the risks are higher for the guerrilla fighters, and the command and control structure is less defined than in traditional military's.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 24, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Well, here you go.

quote:

Honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting hamas.
Supporting Hamas in their campaign against Israel isn't condoning atrocities. You can support a group while condemning their worse actions.

quote:

At best, attending a music festival outside one of the worst humanitarian and political injustices of our time is a deeply ghoulish and callous act; at worst, it's part of a wider cultural industry that works to normalise the suffering and killing of Palestinians.
True statement. Doesn't mean you support the slaughter that happened at the music festival.

quote:

I believe that being a people being genocided or enslaved should not be expected to adhere to morality imposed on them by people living in safety and comfort during their struggles against their oppressors. I also believe that anyone who doesn't at least agree that oppressed peoples' resistance has relaxed moral guidelines then they're only paying lip service to the idea of liberation.
This intersects with what I've said. Find me a oppressed peoples' resistance movement that doesn't have at least some blood on their hands.

quote:

If your stance is that Palestinian violence against the Israelis that have brutally oppressed, tortured, maimed, murdered, raped, stolen from, debased, shamed, humiliated, mocked, and otherwise devastated them for generations is in any way inevitable, understandable, or -- heaven forfend -- justified I must disagree in the strongest possible terms
Am I parsing this wrong or are they disagreeing with the idea that Palestinian violence is justified?

quote:

E: Everyone wants Palestine and Hamas to be *better* than the murderous, indiscriminate Israelis, despite the Palestinians having a thousandth of the power of Israel. You want Palestine to forego justice and show unearned mercy to their tormentors in exchange for nothing, while Israel continues to murder and maraude unchecked.
Again this isn't saying Hamas atrocities are good. It's just asking why are they being held to a higher standard than the structured state military that is the IDF.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's possible to be sympathetic to the cause of Palestinian liberation but also hope Hamas is replaced by a more constructive and less vile organization, there's no need to support the continued relevance of Hamas in its current form. There's so many examples of successful resistance movements who manage to eke out victories without committing atrocities there's no justification as to why Hamas is the exception.

Care to point to those, especially ones who tried the peaceful route and were suppressed.

Off-hand I can think of MLK.

The IRA armed campaign started in the 70s because the British police forces massacred unarmed civilians who were peacefully protesting. Thereby demonstrating that peaceful methods would not work and necessitated a guerilla campaign. Which has parallels to what is currently happening in Gaza. Israel has shown peaceful, 'constructive' methods will be met with violent suppression, so it's unsurprising a military campaign is re-continued.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If you don't see ANYTHING wrong with supporting Hamas after everything that happened in Al-Aqsa Flood, then you must support one of the most significant parts of Al-Aqsa Flood, which was mass civilian slaughter. Otherwise "a total disinterest toward, or inability to prevent, mass civilian slaughter" would be something wrong with supporting Hamas. You might support Hamas anyway, but you'd at least see the concern.

The IRA carried out retaliatory sectarian killings, which I would not support. But I still support their campaign, their cause and what they achieved.

The Kingsmill massacre for example, while not anywhere near the scale of what was carried out on Al-Aqsa Flood, was an atrocity that I cannot defend. Does that mean I am a hypocrite or completely lacking a moral compass for supporting the IRA?

Typo posted:

not really disputing the overall point but both the IRA and the uMkhonto we Sizwe was pretty explicitly in targeting the material and symbolic apparatus of the state like the army. the courts and the police. There were civilian casualties to be sure but at least they were either collateral damage or alleged informers/collaborators. I don't think either group ever did a wholesale massacre of civilians at any point.

Look up the Kingsmill Massacre. An IRA cell executed random protestants solely for being protestant. No one will ever know whether that was carried out under orders from high command or it was the rogue actions of a cell. But were it the latter it does point to how difficult it is to control the actions of every member, when an organization operates in a decentralized manner by necessity of being an underground resistance movement.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 24, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's a really bad parallel. Hamas specifically targets innocent civilians on purpose and puts it's own population at risk. The IRA did hurt civilians over time unlike Hamas put effort to avoid hurting innocent bystanders and even called into the press, law enforcement, etc. to avoid or at the at least minimize causalities.

That said, do you really think war or any kind of violent conflict by either the West Bank or the Gaza Strip is going to get them any closer to their own state or Israeli citizenship?

I wish people would read the history of the actual IRA and stop using this mythical, clean version which has been whitewashed with the time that has passed. Same with how people speak of the ANC as it's remembered now having successfully achieved it's aim. Where their worse tenancies are forgotten.

The IRA carried out random, sectarian killings which was counter-productive, which they learnt from and stopped doing it. I hope Hamas learns from the recent conflict that they would have more support if they reeled their men in.

Yes, I think peaceful methods have shown to be futile. I think these attacks have shaken the Israeli's especially with regards to the security afforded by their much vaunted security barrier. I think Israeli's feeling insecure might encourage them to seek peaceful resolutions to the conflict, knowing that they cannot indefinitely cage Gaza in an open-air prison.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What clean version was represented?

quote:

The IRA did hurt civilians over time unlike Hamas put effort to avoid hurting innocent bystanders and even called into the press, law enforcement, etc. to avoid or at the at least minimize causalities.
Per my post, "The IRA carried out random, sectarian killings"

quote:

The IRA's goal is was independence. The goal of Hamas is to destroy the State of Israel. Those are two very different things.
Yes and listening to some Loyalists from the time would have you believe the IRA's goal was to eradicate the state of Northern Ireland and ethnically cleanse them from the area.

quote:

Considering that they are basically carpet bombing the Gaza Strip and preparing an invasion I can't agree with this conclusion.

At the moment, but in a years time how will it go. The initial commentary from the attack it seems Israeli's no longer believe their security barrier is impenetrable. They really seemed to be a sense that they had contained Gaza for all time. An advanced tech driven barrier they couldn't cross, and the iron dome containing their rockets. Now they are not so invincible.

If they cannot entirely contain Gaza there's only two other options. Fully ethnically cleanse Palestinians from the area by mass deportation, or find a solution which removes the need for violence on Palestine's part, i.e. a peaceful resolution.

Kalit posted:

The US women’s suffrage movement
That you have to qualify it specifically to the US movement, as the UK suffrage movement carried out arson and bombings.
It does show that when afforded concessions from peaceful measures, movements can be successful without needing to resort to violence. But also violence is rarely the first method of resistance. Most movements resort to violence when peaceful demonstrations are put down violently by the oppressing state.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 24, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Jaxyon posted:

Twitter rando, and not saying it's not:

https://twitter.com/land2thetiller/status/1716530884776546784
[click for thread]

But is this post factually correct? I wasn't aware of Israel supporting SA apartheid, but it's certainly not surprising. Most I've seen is they didn't boycott them.

Does anyone know anything about that and the other stuff?

They didn't take part in the international sanctions. They always abstaining from UN votes against South African apartheid. They were close military allies, with Israel providing aid and supplies to South African proxies in their wars. They provided their Jericho ballistic missiles to SA and were rumored to have been helping them develop nuclear weapons to use them with.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

They did. What's your point? As said I, IRA did use violence but it at the least tried to avoid killing innocents. Hamas does not do that to the point where they literally target innocents on purpose.

How does the IRA having at one point used violence directly targeting innocent civilians on the basis of their religion in any way demonstrate they tried to avoid killing innocents. It was a tactic that fell to the wayside as it did more harm than good with the wider war for hearts and minds. But it did happen early during the armed campaign.

Hamas claims they don't intentionally target innocents. They make a differentiation between civilians and settlers. Given that some settlements did have armed defensive groups, there would be a difference between unarmed civilians and armed 'civilians'.

Also the child causalities from the Al-Aqsa Flood is a couple dozen at most. Current child causalities from the Israeli bombardment is couple thousand. One side is killing exponentially more innocents than the other.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This whole conflict is happening under the context of Israel normalizing relations with Saudi Arabi. While not confirmed, it was largely rumored that the Palestinians would get something out of the whole deal. If they did, that is a threat to Hamas because it means there is a potential path to peace without conflict. Because without conflict, there's no need for Hamas.

What were they rumored to get?

Netanyahu rejected any concessions to the Palestinian Government with regard to a settlement freeze as part of normalizing relations. It looked like Palestine was getting jack poo poo out of that.
Palestine are set to lose occupied East Jerusalem since Trump provisionally accepted that as Israel land through opening a US consulate there. And they looked set to lose out on regional support with Israel gaining normalized relations in exchange for zero concessions to Palestine.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 25, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Typo posted:

I'm just going to post some figures from wiki for context

36% of IRA inflicted deaths being civilians does not seem to back up your point.
Though I'll concede not all of them were intentional. For the remainder of the conflict they did try to call in warnings to limit causalities. But back to my original point, it's factually incorrect to say the IRA never intentionally targeted civilians and that's why they were 'moral' freedom fighters while Hamas are 'immoral' freedom fighters.

My contention is people using the white-washed image of other freedom movements to paint Palestinians as being particularly blood-thirsty or not standing up to some standard by which freedom fighters must adhere to. But almost everything said about Hamas was said about the IRA, or ANC during the actual campaigns. The historiography changes after they were successful to forget the atrocities, and excesses. But they happened, and they weren't commendable, or justified, but they happened in the course of a broader campaign for freedom, which itself is a just cause.

I won't disregard the Palestinian cause because some members engaged in abhorrent acts during their struggle, but I also won't excuse those acts. I just hope we don't see repeats of them in the future. Again calling back to the IRA as an example, the leadership learned from atrocities that they were counter-productive to the overall struggle, and worked hard to stop random sectarian killings. Which is the lesson Hamas should learn from this.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

punishedkissinger posted:

the big thing for me is that every living member of the PIRA i've seen comment on Hamas is pretty supportive.

The flip side of that is the loyalists support Israel. While they existed they also supported Rhodesia and Apartheid South Africa.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Where did you read that Netanyahu rejected any concessions with settlement freezes?

I should have said Netanyahu's government.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/21/whats-happening-with-normalising-ties-between-saudi-arabia-and-israel

quote:

Netanyahu’s government, including National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, has rejected “concessions” to the Palestinian Authority (PA) government as part of normalising relations, including a settlement freeze in the occupied West Bank.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm sure they claim that yet their official social media says otherwise and there's also a well documented and unique history unlike other groups...

Understanding Hamas’s Genocidal Ideology

What Would Hamas Do If It Could Do Whatever It Wanted?

It will take me time to read through these articles fully and cross reference them. But this sentence amused me.

quote:

[T]he Hamas Covenant of 1988 notably replaced the Marxist-Leninist conspiracy theory of world politics

What is the ML conspiracy theory of world politics? Is geo-politics a conspiracy theory?

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 26, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Barrel Cactaur posted:

So Hamas comes from the PLO breaking up into factions(this is dramatically oversimplified), the PLO was a nominally leftist organization in the 1950s 'leftism is when you align with the soviets' way.

I am aware of that. I am just confused by how World Politics can be considered a Marxist conspiracy theory.

I found the original article quoted because the link was broken. The quote cut off what the conspiracy was.

quote:

they attributed a mythical conspiracy against the Arabs to “U.S. imperialism” and its Israeli “spearhead”—echoing the propaganda of their patrons, the Soviets.6 Indeed, the Hamas Covenant of 1988 notably replaced the Marxist-Leninist conspiracy theory of world politics with the classic anti-Semitic tropes of Nazism and European fascism, which the Islamists had absorbed when they collaborated with the Nazis during World War II.

I guess US imperialism was the Marxist-Leninist conspiracy theory.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 26, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
"We just released the intelligence proving it"
Releases dahir insaat cgi mock-up of Bin Laden's mountain fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

mannerup posted:

He says that the hospital’s energy infrastructure is also used by Hamas’s underground base.

In that case they should kill the power of every gaza hospital. disconnect every baby incubator so that Hamas's underground lair has no power for their rocket manufacturing factories. As they won't be needing them, Israel could take the babies out of the incubators, take the incubators and leave the children to die on the cold floor.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 27, 2023