Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lady Morgaga posted:

Most harmless stabbing in last 3 months. Boo loving hoo.

If they'd been a different shade, dollars to doughnuts there'd be some houses getting bulldozed right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

How is that different from the IDF's indiscriminate killing of thousands of Palestinian civilians? Is it simply the fact that the IDF do so with high-tech weaponry like bombs and artillery that isn't available to police forces and so are able to murder on a far larger scale?

I think we all know that killing people with high-tech weapons (preferably American made) is 100% A-OK. It's throwing stones at people that's intolerable. </sarcasm>

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

Israel isn't a natural ally except in the sense that there are a lot of evangelical Christians in the USA who want to support it to help bring about the end times or whatever. In strategic terms, Israel is a liability if anything and the US allies with it mostly due to internal political concerns as Israel is popular with the American public.

Israel is also a large (although not at all sole) recipient of US military "assistance", about $2bn a year, which in turn comes back to feed the maw of our voracious military industrial complex. We also partner with the Israelis on intelligence and weapon development - although getting them in the F-35 doesn't seem like much of a favor.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Well, that was informative and depressing. :-(

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'm sure they could go faster if they threw on more dogs.

The UN and ICC business is what really drove home Israeli insincerity to me. The long slow maneuvering of international diplomacy seems vastly preferable to the violence of guerilla terrorism...if your goal is to reach a resolution.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not all, just the pro-ethnic cleansing BDS movement and similar radical groups not supported by mainstream Palestinian organizations.

This is indeed a grave threat, given the Palestinian's large standing army, sophisticated weapons industry, unfailing support of the world's superpower and nuclear arsenal.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Wait, are you saying that removing the illegal Israeli settlers from the West Bank is tantamount to ethnic cleansing? Are you advocating for a one-state solution?

This is his schtick. Anything short of the most retrograde ultra- conservative position is genocidal. It's the international relations version of "You're oppressing me by not letting me discriminate against gay people"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

There's something amusingly hypocritical with wanting boycott, divestment, and sanctions against people who want boycott, divestment, and sanctions.

Almost as if positions are based on pure tribalism than ethical principles.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

It's really kind of astounding that for how much people want to drive home "Never forget the holocaust, don't let it happen again" that wording like that doesn't set off some pretty major alarms.
a problem?

Well it's fine if it happens to those *other* people.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Svartvit posted:

The endgame of boycott is ethnic cleansing?

Remember, KJI is one of those people who believes that objecting to ethnic cleansing of Group B by Group A is ethnic cleansing of Group A.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm not talking about settlements, I'm talking about the goal of the BDS movement to expel Israelis from Israel proper.

Are the settlements part of "Israel Proper" in your definition?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

Um, maybe you should recognize that the problem is rooted in both sides and combat it instead of going "this side bad, other side justified" ? Because the reality is this poo poo isn't going to stop until both sides decide to put down their hate.

I'm guessing that won't happen before Gaza's water supply runs out.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

israel is fully aware that one state is the only possible outcome, it's just that they want to get rid of all the pesky Palestinians in that future single state

They will be provided with affordable, up to date housing in New Mexico?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The sustained protest and boycott movement in the US and Europe certainly helped delegitimize the South African regime, so it could work against Israel.

This is why we must repeal the 1st amendment and outlaw such behavior!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The Onion has repeatedly earned its position as America's Finest News Source.

https://www.theonion.com/netanyahu-announces-day-of-mourning-for-fence-damaged-i-1826046925

https://www.theonion.com/israeli-soldiers-open-fire-on-palestinians-carrying-pot-1826018684

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-fascinated-by-israeli-cultural-tradition-of-mass-1826014445

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

One Palestinian woman activist who was interviewed on Chapo Trap House recently said that she believes the only path forward is a one-state solution and that a two-state solution is effectively impossible now thanks to the settlements. I had not previously agreed with that point but she makes a strong case that even if you had an agreement right now, you could not build a viable Palestinian state.

Hasn't this been true since the 90s, early 2000s at the latest?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Nobody, nobody has any reason to fire missiles at a zoo and to shoot caged lions. The people who choose to do that are irredeemable psychopathic monsters. That they then choose to do some concern trolling about animals accidentally killed by an uncontrolled fire just shows the depth of their depravity.

Clearly they weren't caged lions, they were terror cats.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So is it a war only when there's a ground invasion? Or perhaps there's some absolute number of rockets (obv only gazans rockets cause IDF rockets are all Retaliatory and Justified)?

I do wonder what the spin will be this time, 'well you see, we kinda had commando op go wrong so obviously we had to bomb the hamas TV station' is kind of flimsy.

Based on the behavior of my own country, that's correct. It's not like Congress has declared war in ages, and we still bomb the poo poo out of all *kinds* of poor brown people.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it's not like Israel recognises the state of Palestine.

I believe it's phrases "Palestine's Right to Exist"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Truly, what greater provocation could there be than existing?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

This is Cardin's baby, but even so I've called his office several times to give him a piece of my mind. At least I hope it damages the position of the Israel-is-always-right crowd, since this kind of move proves it isn't defensible on its own.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s unconstitutional just like those laws in some states that make you sign a pledge not to boycott Israel when you are being employed by the state. The problem is that there has to be a court case to knock it down first. It’s just incredible to me that our government is doing these kinds of things for a foreign country.

Well, good thing our courts are fair and just and not stacked with right-wing ideologues.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m of the opinion that Kushner is the dumbest person in authority in the West right now. Yes, dumber than Trump.

Dumber then Theresa May? I suppose she may just be spineless and craven....

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Palestinians existing.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

"Why do the Palestinians keep shooting rockets at us!?"

Where would they put F-16s?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I'm not sure "accepted" is the verb there...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Sweet jesus, sorry we can only behead the guy once.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

i say swears online posted:

west side story but it's west bank story and the dancing is a lot better

Three bars into the overture the theater explodes from an air strike. That music was a provocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If you ask the Supreme Court I think they'll say that legislation is binding regardless of the identity of the MKs voting for it, kind of like the heart of parliamentary system, I think.

That gets dangerously close to saying Arabs are people.