Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mannerup posted:

murdering and taking ravers hostage seems like a slight overreaction for a noise complaint

I'll admit the conflict takes a very odd tone under the lens of NIMBYism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

mannerup posted:

Stating that it was an ‘inevitable consequence of material reality’ implies that the behavior of those perpetrating the murder and kidnapping of ravers is fait accompli. I think broadly painting a group of people as predestined murders and kidnappers of civilians ignores their individual agency in undertaking what is clearly abhorrent.

It's not ignoring individual agency, it's just how humans work. In any population there's a subset who are more likely to engage in horrific poo poo if pressed. The harder you press the more likely that subset will react.

A probably bad example might be US right-wing extremists responding to even the most feather light, not even 'oppression' with hate crimes. Predicting how they will act doesn't mean everyone in the christian American group are terrorists or remove their agency.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

mannerup posted:

MSF has released an update

quote:

... This time, after five days, there have already been 1,200 deaths.

I doubt the death toll is going to be anywhere close to as low as that by the end of the week.

It's hard to argue there's a 'matching' of atrocity to atrocity.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's not what that means. Changing ownership of land or the government of a people isn't genocide, so long as you don't try to force assimilation with those people.

I think it's the cumulative effect of multiple actions. Eg: single death doesn't constitute genocide, but add them up and that's what you get.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Decon posted:

My cynical, gut reaction to both short term and long term gains is that it'll make defense contractors a fuckload of money.

I'm sure an American led forever lasting peacekeeping mission with minimal American lives lost would be the preferred option for a bunch of US interests.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Conspiratiorist posted:

There are no clean wars but Hamas squandered the single best chance there ever has or will be to cause cripplingly lasting (if not altogether lethal) damage to the Israeli state by tasking combat power into terror actions instead of directly targeting the forces of the occupation. They could've overrun Southern Command entirely and captured hundreds of high value military hostages for negotiation and exchanges. They could've brought down the Iron Dome network. Palestinian leverage would've been immense while Bibi's government self-destructed over the blame.

It's possible Hamas sent all their best fighters to attack military targets, and recruited a bunch of lesser trained undisciplined mooks with vauger orders. Or its possible they got exactly what they ordered. I'm speaking in ignorance here.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Glad to see my organization isn't the only one that makes management decisions without bothering to consult the people who are most affected by them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nail Rat posted:

Matthew Miller: *smirks* uh, well, as we've made it clear, Hamas is hiding behind women and children. It's our stance that Israel is acting in full accordance with international law. *chuckles* We're continuing to express concern that we want them to take more care to limit civilian casualties. But we want to stress that Israel has a right to defend itself

Has anyone who's emphasised that Israel has a right to defend itself also emphasised to the same degree that Palestinian has a right to defend itself?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

WarpedLichen posted:

What would being in the UN actually get for Palestine?

Sometimes it's nice to be on the right side of a sternly worded letter.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

projecthalaxy posted:

Maybe they just don't feel like starting WW3 today, which I appreciate.

Look this is a really bad time for me can we murder each other's civilization population another time?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/yoavgallant/status/1783108301829423552

These people should have been removed the way we removed South Vietnam's corrupt Presidency. Threatening American children, what's next for these psychos?

Accusations of terrorism while supporting an active genocide. How do people not see right through this?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Neon Belly posted:

The video isn’t convincing of anything other than some sounds over someone recording a steady light in the sky (being pedantic, even small rotary drones are pretty loud), and it’s suspicious that no mainstream news orgs seem to be reporting that for multiple days Israel has been deploying drones to lure civilians out to shoot them.

Yeah real or fake this video doesnt really add much to a discussion either way. Might as well be evidence of mothman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The whole pier thing is honestly really dumb. If aid can't reach Gaza the problem is not physical logistics it's politics and red tape. Acting like the pier is critical to humanitarian relief just sounds hollow.

Cairo is a few hundred km from the Gaza strip. The US military has boasted about its logistical capabilities in other parts of the world. And yet suddenly it's not is a really small distance?