Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mrmcd posted:

Why would the AKs and rocket launchers be in the booby trapped car? Those are your guns, you don't put them in the exploding trap car!

Or are we supposed to believe this is some sort of Home Alone type scenario where Hamas rigged an elaborate string and hot wheels contraption that fires a full clip at the IDF soldier trying to deliver food and medicine to a dummy inside the car wearing a wig and sunglasses?

not suggesting this is what actually happened since this is clearly bullshit, but it's not unheard of to booby-trap weapon caches or supply drops to prevent the enemy getting into it. if your guys know what the trap is, they don't have anything to fear, and for the people that you don't want in it, they get exploded for messing with your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Never again to us.

Unfortunately, it's this.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

One I heard recently is "you can't let it bother you if there's nothing you can do about it". Just "not my problem" writ large.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1762931742841741368

America can't just tell other countries what to do, OK? We're just a smol bean, we're just a little guy.

It's genuinely insulting that they expect people to believe this.

didn't raegan literally tell israel to gently caress off at one point

fake edit: there's even a direct quote from when he did it!

"I didn't know I had that kind of power."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

three things

1) good post

2) it cannot be overstated how much of the popular support of ukraine comes from ukrainians appearing to be nominally white

3) it cannot be overstated how much of the popular support of israel comes from this conflict having been kicked off by some brown people doing a terrorist attack on the nominally white israelis

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ATTN: the quote block contains a lot of stupid poo poo played straight for the sake of explanation. i am presenting these viewpoints in this way because frankly it's just easier, i do not agree with them in any way because while i am stupid, i am not THAT stupid.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It is not complicated.

quote:

you're right, it's not complicated at all! especially when you're talking to americans, who most still remember 9/11 as an incident where the peaceful nation was minding its own business was suddenly subject to unprovoked terrorist attacks, which incited a righteous war of retribution that 'maybe' ran a little too long but was ultimately a good thing because look at all of the bad guys we killed. and we even got saddam hussein and osama bin laden!

so now we've got a situation where, prior to oct 7th, most folks did not know or care about the situation between israel and palestine. maybe they've heard something about gaza being the world's largest open-air prison, but who really gives a poo poo? all of that stuff is over there, and we're over here. it doesn't matter. and even if someone DID happen to hear something, isn't israel just trying to exist? they're a defensive state formed in response to antisemitism and they went through the holocaust, we should have pity on them because they're the plucky underdogs. plus, there are some bad guys who keep shooting rockets at them for no reason! completely unprovoked, israel is just sitting there minding their own business! the US went so far as to design them a special missile defense system, so that means israel is our friend and therefore DEFINITELY the good guys.

so then oct 7th rolls around, and holy poo poo are you loving kidding me? the bad guys weren't satisfied with constantly shooting rockets at cities, they just HAD to bypass millions of dollars of defensive military hardware so they could attack a music festival and gun down scores of innocent people because their bloodlust wasn't sated by random attacks anymore, they had to get down and dirty and kill civilians firsthand. do you understand how messed up and evil that is? what are they going to escalate to next? it's totally understandable that israel would want to get rid of them, even if a few bystanders get caught in the crossfire - especially since many of those bystanders are convenient human shields at best and outright collaborators at worst. the US did the same thing in the middle east, and we won, so what's the trouble? they'll win eventually, and they seem to be making great progress so far, so we won't have to hear about it for very long.

jesus christ that made me physically ill.

anyway.

as much as we'd love for it to not be the case, you must remember that the vast majority of people are opinionated, uninformed, and incurious. they are the lowest common denominator that wants things to conform to a simple narrative so they can easily take the right side, and according to most available facts, this is that story. anything that tries to add nuance or detail beyond that is "complicating" things, even if the actual explanation (hamas attacked out of desperation because palestinians have been slowly genocided for years and now israel is taking advantage of the opportunity to rapidly genocide them) is much shorter and much simpler.

these are the people that the propaganda worked on. any story that isn't the one they already know is too complicated for them.

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 5, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i don't think they're JAQing, the tone doesn't seem right to me. they seem genuinely uninformed, and have even mentioned valid reasons as to why they might be.

plus assumption of JAQing is against the D&D rules. all things in good faith and etc

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Sean posted:

And that's why I gave two scenarios and presented a case assuming the best of faith to explain why they weren't well-received (which was something they stated to be bothered about).

I did not make a specific assumption and only reply to that.

I think for someone who is acting in good faith that contrast would be valuable to explain why it could be interpreted as bad faith. That could be a valuable thing to learn for someone really looking to get up to speed on this topic of discussion.

oh yeah you're fine, i was just idly sharing my thoughts

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

even if biden was not lying about the ceasefire deal, everyone supposedly involved saying that he was makes him look ridiculously weak. it's pretty catastrophically bad no matter what the situation is, especially since people continue to die

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Using overwhelming military force to cripple the country's ability to do a genocide seems fundamentally different than using overwhelming military force with the intent of committing one.

it was also the basis of world war 2

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Good luck to the IKs, and I hope the thread is not too taxing to manage.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Esran posted:

Thanks, but I don't think I want to be IK'ing this thread. Is it normal to appoint people IK without asking first?

goldmine

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the usual D&D dogpile aside all irony needs to do is apologize and also never do that poo poo again. easy as

Raenir Salazar posted:

backseat modding, posting about the forums
___________________________/

(e: the joke is that you are doing both of those things at this very moment, which i am explaining because i do not trust that to be apparent)

Kith fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 23, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BRJurgis posted:

Don't make me an IK though, I will never use buttons I wanna let people tell the forums who they are.

hey koos we got a volunteer

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually meant to hit the report button not the quote button. :sigh:

im going to laugh at you now

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

and here i thought that the russians booby-trapping children's toys was the most hosed up thing i'd ever seen. this poo poo is beyond parody

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

cat botherer posted:

Children can be so cruel.

:drat:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Charliegrs posted:

Oct 7th and decades of suicide bombings showed that yes they are savages. Like I'm no fan of Israel but come on are people really trying to say Hamas are the good guys here? I want freedom for the Palestinians like every other sane person but I draw the line at defending Hamas.

idk about this one chief

like maybe perhaps reducing an entire group to "savages" is not the best thing you can do

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Marenghi posted:

It's not an absurd conspiracy theory to think a civilian massacre wasn't the purpose of Oct 7th.

It was pure chance that a musical festival was happening along the path for Hamas to take to military targets.

No disrespect, but I find it extremely difficult to believe that a music festival that had been advertised for months was an unplanned obstacle. Do you have a source saying it was?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Giggs posted:

The location was explicitly hidden (from everyone) until the last minute (the 5th I think). Literally no one knew where the festival was going to take place, not even the organizers, given that the location was changed to Re'im from some other original intended location.

Just about every major publication after October 7th concluded that Hamas couldn't have known about it beforehand and that they were surprised. Given the severity of your implied accusation it would be nice if you either had a cursory knowledge of what you're talking about or did a single google or even bing to look up the extremely well established counter to your baseless insinuation.

I'd grab you a link but it's genuinely everywhere. No one disputes that the festival location was both explicitly a secret and changed at the last minute to be on the border of a concentration camp.

I didn't mean to imply or accuse anything, that's what I meant by "no disrespect". I legitimately did not know that and was asking because I couldn't find anything about that on my own. I would genuinely appreciate a link if you have one.

If it's as widely known as you say it is, it's shocking to me that I managed to miss that detail.

e: Thinking about it further, I probably missed that detail because of everything else that was going on at the time - I've been more focused on getting my friends' families help and so on.

Kith fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Marenghi posted:

I don't blame you for missing it. Immediately after the attack Israel and twitter was pushing the narrative that the music festival was specifically targeted by Hamas. The attacks on military sites were downplayed while the attack on the music festival was pushed to the front.

It took a while for the truth to come out that Hamas couldn't have known it would take place along their path to military targets.

What a clusterfuck. That's really awful.

Giggs posted:

I shouldn't have been lovely, my bad. I got annoyed by somebody else's absolutely deranged post, that's not your fault. Here's some more sources detailing that the location was not broadcast for months, and that there's no reason to believe anyone (e: I mean Hamas) knew about the festival when they launched.

It's okay, I understand - the subject is an extremely volatile one and discussions are full of people trying to push narratives, so I don't blame you for being frustrated. I appreciate the sources very much, thank you.