Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Salt of the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
US restates labeling rules on Israeli products from West Bank
Thanks Obama (unironically).

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

The Kingfish posted:

Anyone have a haaretz subscription? They have the scoop on a deal to return certain West Bank cities to PA administration.

The gist from what I read is this:
In secret negotiations it was suggested that Israel return security control of A territories to the PA, with the IDF taking action in them only in case of "ticking bombs" and even then bar for who can authorize a ticking bomb scenario would be raised higher up the command chain. Ramallah and Jericho are to be test cases and should it prove successful, the arrangement would be expanded to other cities. The PA's security forces are to "act decisively" should they be given intel on terrorist activity.

So far it seems negotiations came to a standstill, and now that it's out in the open all the right wing politicians are already coming out against it so I doubt anything's gonna happen.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Phone posting, can't embed: https://imgur.com/a/uo7Um

One nation, one country.
Someone on the internet fixed it for you:

Seriously though, I had to watch the actual thing on youtube to see if it wasn't a photoshop. Goddamn, how can you lack so much self awareness? :cripes:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I saw that yesterday as well (John Browns timeline?) but the photoshop was so bad I couldn't bring myself to post it here.

What really tickles my funny bone is that two years ago during protective edge Barak Cohen handed out posters with the "one people, one country, one leader" slogan at a right wing rally organized by Yoav Eliassi. After that happened many a salty tear were shed and of course Cohen himself was accused of treasonous leftism and the such, so yeah, i'm lolling.

Eh, it's ok for a rushed job.
Yeah I remember that rally. Didn't know those posters were given out by Cohen though, but I guess it doesn't really matter as those people were glad to unironically hold them up anyways.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
:laffo: Liberman is gonna be the minister of defense. gently caress this dumb country.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Xander77 posted:

Better than Justice, though that would be a bit too ironic even by Israeli standards.
It would be more way more cynical, but practically I don't see how it would be different than Shaked.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Absurd Alhazred posted:

An Arab-Israeli supermarket employee was assaulted by plainclothes police right in front of Rabin Square earlier today.

Many witnesses at the scene, including the guy's employer, claim they saw no reason for the policemen to use any violence. Police are not allowing anyone to visit the victim at the hospital.

Here is an alleged bite-mark left on one of the policemen by the victim, from the story above:

Here is a protest against the incident at the supermarket, later in the day:

(source)

A now removed facebook post by the head of the police's "new media" division calling to boycott the supermarket for "employing people who beat cops". ACAB etc

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 25, 2016

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yesterday there was a rather horrific traffic accident in Tel-Aviv where a 41 year old driver apparently suffered a cardiac event and lost his ability to control his car and drove into the sidewalk and into the vitrine of a nearby restaurant ramming into several customers and bystanders killing 3 (including a US citizen) and injuring 7 more. As the car came to a full stop and the driver was injured, undergoing a cardiac event and unconscious several bystanders pulled him out of the car and started beating him as they thought he was a terrorist.

Here's an interview with the wife of the owner of the restaurant who was an eyewitness to assault upon the injured driver (in hebrew, mostly posting this to avoid accusations of "making poo poo up") - http://www.mako.co.il/news-israel/local-q2_2016/Article-a156c5680176551004.htm

So is it just me or did they edit out the part where it said the driver was beaten? I remember reading that when you posted it but going over the same article I can't see it anymore even though the comments referencing it are still there.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

fool_of_sound posted:

So are most Israelis cool with having something like 10% of the population willfully having no skills or employment and living primarily on welfare? I'm surprised there isn't widespread anger about that.

Nope, people hate that. But almost every right wing government needed the Haredim to have a majority, so they begrudgingly accept it.

Ytlaya posted:

What exactly is the ideal endgame for the Haredim? Like, if every single person in Israel was a Haredim, how would society even function? It seems like their way of life is dependent upon other non-Haredim keeping society running.
God's gonna drop some manna or something.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The current mindset seems to be
"None of the fires are close to Arab population centers. This is proof that they did it!"
*ignores Haifa burning to the loving ground*

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Lawman 0 posted:

Does anyone have any information on the extent of damage to Haifa?

Last I heard it was about 1600 people left homeless, 600 damaged buildings and a poo poo ton of forest areas turned to ash. Damages are valued at about 500 million Shekels.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dunno if anyone is keeping tabs or still cares but at the moment out of hundreds (maybe over a thousand. the sources differ) of wildfires only 9 are still being investigated for possible arson, Moshe Kahlon and the ministry of finance have declared that the citizens of haifa and a few other places are the victims of a terror attack while the police came out with a conflicting statement where they say that as far as they're concerned not a single arson has been proven yet and the investigation is still on going.

So, regardless of how many terrorist arsons there were, if any, if would seem like we're talking about less than half of a percent of the total fires and that the majority of them were "natural" or just not intentional for that purpose. Not that Bennet and Bibi are going to be held accountable for their incitement.

Also important to add, that if a fire declared a terrorist attack then the people hurt are entitled to compensations from the government, if not then they get what they were insured for. So basically now that they got a rough estimate of the bill suddenly those fires seem a lot more natural.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
A new front in the war on Christmas:
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.760284

quote:

After Rabbi Elad Dokow calls tree an 'affront to Jewish identity on campus,' Technion says in response that it 'allows students from all religions to express themselves with respect and tolerance.'
Rabbi Elad Dokow of the Technion issued a prohibition against Jewish students entering the university's student union due to the Christmas tree that has been put up in the building.

“The Christmas tree is a religious symbol – not Christian, but even more problematic – pagan,”Dokow wrote in a question-and-answer section on the religious Srugim website. “Halakha clearly states that whenever it is possible to circumvent and not pass through a place where there is any kind of idolatry, this must be done. So one should not enter the student union if it's not necessary to do so.”

The Technion responded that Dokay had expressed his opinion on his personal Facebook page and his words "expressed his personal opinion and not that of the Technion."

The institution, it declared, was determined to continue being a perfect example for tolerance and coexistence in Israeli society."

Dokay said that he wrote the prohibition “in wake of the student union’s affront to the Jewish identity on campus, by placing a Christmas tree (if only there were a menorah of that size)… in the public space (the student union) and giving a place to religious Christian identity in the heart of the Technion.”

Asked if it was permissible to buy food or eat in the student union, the rabbi replied, “Unfortunately, I do not see any way to permit this, especially since there is a problem with uttering God’s name and reciting blessings in a place where such problematic things are found.”

his objection, the rabbi wrote, “This is an anti-Jewish and not just an anti-'religious’ symbol. Is it conceivable that in the name of some type of liberty we would let students declare that Jerusalem does not belong to the Jewish people as was done by UNESCO? Must we accept everything without reservation or limit? In the name of acceptance, would we sanction a Spanish food festival that prominently featured pork (I served as a rabbi in Madrid and that is the national food there)?”

The rabbi also wrote it would not be sufficient if a menorah were also placed there next to the tree, because “it would be paired with something that represents the total antithesis of the Hasmoneans’ entire struggle.” Dokow added, “I would have expected something different from an academic institution – an approach that is more scientific and intellectually and ethically thoughtful.”

Asked whether freedom of worship extended to all citizens, the rabbi answered, “This is not about freedom of worship. It’s about the public space of the campus. This is the world’s only Jewish state. And it has a role to be a ‘light unto the nations’ and not to uncritically embrace every idea.” ( :ironicat: )

"Even before the Technion opened it gates about 100 years ago, its founders stated that the institution they hoped to build would be open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity and gender," the Technion said in its response.

"As a result, all Technion students study side-by-side today an in full equality – Jewish students, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Druze, Circassions, religious and secular. They are in deep and constant dialogue that is open and tolerant and serves as a perfect example for tolerance and coexistence in Israeli society.

"The Technion students union also believes that the Technion has to be open to students of all religions and communities. Thus, student representatives from all social, religious and cultural affiliations sit together on the management of the student union.

"The union, it goes without saying, celebrates all the Jewish festivals and, concurrently, it allows students from other religions to express themselves with respect and tolerance. The different festivals are celebrated in a range of ways, including, in this case, a Christmas tree beside the Hanukkah menorah.

"Just as Haifa celebrated the annual "Festival of Festivals" and other cities around the world have public ceremonies in which the Hanukkah candles are lit, the students union wanted to give voice to all religions together, with the emphasis on connection and not division.

"It's also worth mentioning that hundreds of students from all over the world study int the Technion's international school, and they too should be respected.

"We are determined to continue being a perfect example for tolerance and coexistence in Israeli society."

Technion student Peter Hana said that the decision to decorate the student union with a Christmas tree and Santa hats was reached by a number of students, and was done in order to generate a festive atmosphere. A Hanukkah lamp was also put in place in honor of Hanukkah.

"An absolute majority of students, as well as management and the dean, expressed their support for the initiative, and only a handful of students and the rabbi himself chose to come out against it. We're pleased with the great sympathy shown and the position of the management, which welcomed the initiative and came out against any negative expressions on the matter," he added.

In a message to Technion President Prof. Peretz Lavie, MK Yousef Jabareen of the Joint List argued that the rabbi’s words constitute incitement and that he should therefore be fired. “There’s no need to elaborate on the gravity of these statements, and the serious offense to the Technicon’s Arab students and to Israeli Arabs in general. These statements contain clear incitement to racism, in violation of the law, and therefore also constitute a serious criminal offense,” Jabareen wrote.

The MK says such statements harm the fabric of Jewish-Arab relations and thus stand in stark contradiction to the Technion’s impressive efforts over the last few years to integrate Arab students. Jabareen called for Dokow’s immediate dismissal as rabbi of the Technion synagogue. He also called on the school’s administration to denounce his statements, and to call upon students to come and partake of the cultural richness at the student union.

People have been nicely melting down on the student's facbook page all day over this goddamn tree. My take is that this rabbi is just trying generate some headlines and maybe get a pat on the back from Bennet before moving on to a more political roll.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 21, 2016

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lmao, that whiny gently caress must've poo poo himself in anger.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
And people roll their eyes at me when I say ynet is garbage.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Xander77 posted:

People who pay attention to non-internet based Israeli media - what's the general reaction to Trump's Holocaust announcement?

Funny story relating to that. On the day of the national holocaust memorial, the Likud party held a celebratory event called "The Likudiada" (roughly translates to "Likud Fest") at a resort. When the problematic date for the event started raising some eyebrows, the minister of culture (and star of the event's promotional video) Miri Regev said that she's proud of the organizers because thanks to them the national holocaust memorial day is getting more news cover than it ever did. These people are beyond anything nearing the concept of shame. Nothing matters.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

While it would be satisfying to finally see that gently caress in prison, the best case scenario is that whoever becomes the next PM is just as bad as him.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Ultramega posted:

Yeah let's talk about dumbfuck's hair and not the 1,100 palestinian detainees currently hunger striking in israeli prisons.

Speaking of:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment