Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Maoist Pussy posted:

A sovereign Israel is going to exist unless the US pulls its support. That is all.

This is correct, Israel will continue to exist side by side with Palestine because Israel has enjoyed US support for so long and is so well established it would be extremely unlikely a Palestinian state could threaten the existence of Israel even if it were hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yes. Conflict ended.

Million+ new Palestinian citizens puts additional strain on nation already facing a massive influx of refugees, potential new Jordanian civil war, conflict resumes.

New Palestinian citizens in Egypt likely to be from Gaza, where support for Hamas is highest. Hamas bolsters the ranks of Islamist opposition to Egyptian government with veteran terrorists. Former Gazans treated with suspicion and mistrust by Egyptian government and (likely) people, giving them little reason to accept this new status quo, conflict resumes.

Like, you do get that Egypt and Jordan don't want to accept millions of Palestianians for no reason other than Israel doesn't want them, right?

E:
Also even if Jordan and Egypt were up for this, where would they go? The giant overabundance of land that Jordan has? Drop them off in Cairo and hope they can afford rent? Spend millions developing the infrastructure to build a new Gaza in the Sinai peninsula out of the goodness of Sisi's heart?

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 29, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

Of course. Peace and resolution is clearly not the motive behind all these attempts to gently caress with Israel.

No, I get that peace and resolution is not your motive for resettling Palestinians, but I'm asking even on paper how do you get Egypt or Jordan to get on board with this? Because without them, resettlement can't happen.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I find it strange for someone who supports Israel to argue that any nation has the right to do whatever it wants to the minorities in its nation, and the surrounding ones as well, so long as it has the military capacity to carry out its goals.

hakimashou posted:

So, now so they finally think it was worth it to have shot all those rockets?

At what point will the thing happen that makes all the rockets and tunnels and stuff worth it?

Do you have a source for this? It would be really big news that the farms that were gassed were actually owned by people who fired the rockets, and none of the articles I've found suggest that's that case. Do you have some other source, or does the actions of some Arabs justify racist action against all Arabs?

Again, another thing I find very confusing for a supporter of Israel to say. Do you support Israel, or is it just death you're interested in?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

hakimashou posted:

I don't think anyone would permit it, least of all the Israelis or the USA, especially after 9/11.

What sympathy people that matter might have once had for Jihad groups and "Islamic Resistance" was crashed into skyscrapers in New York, and then more recently locked in cages and set on fire, or drowned, or decapitated in Syria and Iraq.

This was not the question. The question was, if Hamas conquered Israel and forced all Jewish Israelis to flee or be killed, would your reaction be "eh, them's the breaks" or would you suddenly find the courage to be against genocide?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

hakimashou posted:

It's good to be consistent when you're correct!

So your answer to the previous question is that yes, you'd be totally comfortable with Hamas ethnically cleansing Israel so long as they have the military capacity to do it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Now lecture us about all those white victims of lynching(there were a significant number, fwiw) in the Jim Crow South and the insidious plot by historians to portray victims of lynching as exclusively black.

You realize we can read Main Painframe's post too right, that's not just a bug on your end? Like the part where he expands on that statement by talking about other marginalized minorities like gay people that were victims of the Holocaust. Are you saying gay people in Nazi Germany were a privileged majority a la white southerners?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Allow me to quote the Crowsbeak post to which I was referring, which you perhaps have missed:

This post being, once again, in response to the suggestion that Cuomo might somehow have fallen afoul of the federal anti-boycott law.

If you grabbed the wrong Crowsbeak post here, you might want to edit this post real quick to get the Crowsbeak post you actually wanted. Because the way it looks now, it looks like AA calls you out for pretending a post that clearly lays out what it is about Cuomo the poster doesn't like and wants to see him jailed for, such as corruption and basically being a Republican that likes the color blue, is antisemetic. In response to this, you correct AA that instead you were saying that about this other post where Crowsbeak... lays out what it is he wants Cuomo to go to jail for, such as corruption.

Like you don't seem to be disagreeing with AA's point, you're just clarifying which of your swords you'd like to fall on.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Killing kids isn't valid resistance; the girl didn't have any choice in where she lived or who her parents were.

You might wanna reread their post, specifically what TIC is talking about in the part of the post TOS is responding to, and the second half where they say "Palestinians... can target civilians in neither [Israel or Palestine]".

E: Beaten

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I think Trump is actually the only candidate that had the closest thing to a "Palestine might be acceptable" platform... Shortly before silently dropping that and going full "Jerusalem is the capital of Israel", but still, it's going to be a while before we get even Obama levels of "Israel might be problematic".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

This doesn't mean he's for sure not the ambassador but I'm just grateful for this brief window where I can go back to being in denial about Huckabee being the ambassador.

Watch in a week we get US - Israeli ambassador Ted Cruz.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

That would be great because we can basically just ignore him instead of having him whining and grandstanding on the Senate floor

Honestly as bad as that'd be for Palestine (and probably Israel too, since a terrible US-Israeli ambassador means a generally less competent US Middle Eastern policy overall), it probably wouldn't be better under any other ambassador and at least we'd get that silver lining. Suddenly I'm all for Ambassador Cruz.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

How much does the US/Israel relation rely on American Jews? My understanding was that while it certainly doesn't hurt that American Jews generally are supportive of the US/Israeli relation, the real backbone behind the relation is a) religious right/Islamophobia, and b) defense industry/neocon expansionism.

I don't doubt that Trump and Friedman will (together with Bibi) make the US/Israeli relation much more of a GOP/Likud relation, and the end result will be if the Democrats ever regain power (especially if it's under the guide of the Sanders/Ellison wing of the party) it will take a lot of work to reestablish the bipartisan support for Israel, but I'm wondering how much the relation relies on the opinions of American Jews.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

It's cool when I see 20+ new posts in a thread and I go "wow this thread is normally pretty quiet, what happened now" and like, 90% of the time it's Avshalom's dumb gimmick posting.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

So now with the US being on the wrong end of the UN's hosed up veto procedure when it comes to this particular issue, lets take a look at what the future holds.

With Trump coming in, obviously, they are going to seek to overrule this? But can they avoid getting a single veto? Ethiopia and Bolivia are two countries I'd really have my eye on. If either of them stood against it, that would buy 2 years where the US's hands would be tied. Can anyone think any of these countries would veto any resolution to un-condemn Israel for their settlement activities?

Nobody's going to veto the vote to repeal it, but all of the permanent members voted for it, the first half of the temporary members also voted for it, and none of the incoming temporary members seem like Israel diehards. A resolution to repeal the resolution that just passed 14-0 would probably get rejected 1-14. If Trump goes totally nuclear and starts threatening sanctions or something against nations that voted no, he might be able to bully nations like Ukraine into voting yes, but he'd have to start threatening to place sanctions on Japan because of a totally trivial UN vote. At that point, Trump would probably get Business Ploted out of office.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

It has to start somewhere. The US stalled this beginning for decades and now they're stopping that. One got through before Trump could do anything and the UN membership certainly won't take him seriously.

They might not take him seriously on any kind of personal level, but his veto matters. There's never been a problem of the US gathering too much international opposition to resolutions negative to Israel, the problem has always been the US's veto in the security council. In that sense, this is symbolic of nothing if the incoming administration will veto anything more negative to Israel than "Palestinians deserved it".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

All I meant is he won't be able to pass a new resolution that refutes this one.

But that is part of the problem: what would he even need to refute? Yeah it looks bad for Israel's ego, but the resolution doesn't actually do anything. Even if Israel blatantly ignores it, like they announced they will, it would take another security council vote to do anything new, which Trump has already said he will veto.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

What, exactly, are "working ties?" Like are they actually suspending trade and ejecting ambassadors, or are they just throwing a fit and saying they won't extradite criminals or whatever?

My best guess, with the UK, France, Russia, and China on that list, it's not going to impact economic ties at all, unless Bibi really has gone batshit. Most likely it just means any ongoing agreement negotiations are on hold, extraditions will be ignored, and there aren't going to be any joint military exercises for the forseeable future.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Corbyn's bad at everything, but from what I understand from the coup attempts within Labour earlier, there's not really anyone else in Labour who's in any position to oust him, he seems more than happy to allow the Blairites to cry and purge themselves from the party, and Labour's base isn't going to flee back into the arms of the Blairites because Israel said Corbyn's an antisemite.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I mean

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hosted-by-gop-jewish-group-dr-oz-makes-case-for-becoming-first-ever-muslim-senator/

quote:

"John Fetterman is on the opposite side of just about every major issue from me, and that includes the future of Israel,” said the Republican nominee.

“He’s okay with the United States putting pressure on Israel to manage their internal affairs differently, in particular with how they manage the Palestinian population within Israel,” Oz continued. “I believe people should have the autonomy to make important decisions in their lives, like they do with their own personal health.”

Fetterman has made few public statements regarding his pro-Israel positions, but he told Jewish Insider in April that he opposes conditioning US aid to Israel.

It was unclear whether Oz was referring to Arab Israelis or Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza, but he still appeared to suggest that Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians beyond the Green Line was a domestic matter.

Oz argued that Israel should not “give up any of its territory” when Friedman asked the Republican candidate whether he opposed ceding West Bank land to the Palestinians.

between the two of them you had the shy pro-Israel guy vs the "really wants you to know he's pro-Israel" guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

PharmerBoy posted:

OP could have picked any group to be an example of upstanding moral fiber. They somehow landed on Nazis in their post about wanting members of a Jewish group dead. If op picks anyone else but a Nazi group, this is nothing.

They weren't comparing their own moral fiber to the Dirlewagner Brigade, they were comparing the Dirlewagner Brigade's moral fiber to the IDF's, hope that helps