Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You haven't answered, TIC. Is it #1, #2, or #3? I need your guidance, oh wise master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Article quoted by Crowsbeak posted:

And Hamas is the mother. Hamas devoted all its resources to digging tunnels to attack Israelis from Gaza rather than turning Gaza into Singapore

Hahahahaha I'd like to travel to the parallel Earth where Hamas tried to turn Gaza into Singapore, see how that turned out for them. "We're gonna get rich on external trading! While Israel is blockading us and preventing us from developing any sort of infrastructure! It will totally work!"

A big difference between Gaza and Singapore is that Malaysia was not fully invested in preventing Singapore from ever developing any sort of real economy or autonomy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

But assertions to the effect that the Holocaust represented “man’s inhumanity to man” rather than, primarily, “man’s inhumanity to the Jews” amounted to historical hijacking.
So basically they're saying that the Jews are a separate category from human beings, if they are not included by the former formulation and need the latter instead?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Numbers 31 I suppose?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

What is striking about the anti-Zionism derangement syndrome that spills over into anti-Semitism is its ahistorical nature. It denies the long Jewish presence in, and bond with, the Holy Land.

On the other hand, denying the long Palestinian presence in, and bond with, Palestine, is something that is not only acceptable but indeed virtuous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xandu posted:

I'm curious what you all think of this situation. It has some parallels with the Salaita case, though I think she more clearly crosses the line in some cases.
She's a complete nutter.

But I do find this interesting:

quote:

Some of Karega’s posts — which have since apparently been deleted but were captured in screenshots by the pro-Israel blog The Tower — state opinions that, while controversial, are shared by other supporters of the Israel boycott movement. “Let some tell it, an attack on Zionism is an attack on Jews,” Karega wrote on Facebook last January, for example, after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo in Paris. “It’s anti-Semitic, so they say. Total nonsense. And I stopped letting folks bully me with that ‘You’re being anti-Semitic’ nonsense a long time ago.”

If they had stopped right there, without going on about all the conspirationist garbage she spouts about Charlie Hebdo, MH17, and so on, there would be honestly nothing in the article to support that she is as awful as they claim.

So why start with, why even mention, this milquetoast quote, instead of going straight to the bullshit trutherism? That's the article's weak point.

Xandu posted:

What's interesting is that even secular Jews think Jews should be given preferential treatment in Israel.

Secularity does not preclude racism.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Insect Court posted:

So the stuff about Zionist control of world government, that's ok?

That comes later in the article.

Here. Let me help you read the paragraphs in the order they come.

quote:

By Colleen Flaherty

One of the biggest privileges of being a professor — especially a tenured one — is having academic freedom. While the real protections offered under the principle vary from campus to campus, faculty work is at least founded on the idea that there’s room to express even unpopular ideas or beliefs. But are arguably unacademic opinions — inflammatory falsehoods that have no apparent basis in fact — also covered? A recent case at Oberlin College raises questions about whether all ideas are created equal when it comes to academic freedom.

The abstract, no specific examples given yet.

quote:

Earlier this year, several hundred students and alumni at Oberlin College expressed their concerns about what they described as escalating anti-Semitic rhetoric on campus, in an open letter to President Marvin Krislov and others. “As Oberlin students and alumni representing a diversity of views on Israel, we accept criticism of its leadership and policies,” the signatories wrote. “However, we do not believe Israel should be singled out for condemnation and we object to questioning its right to exist. We also abhor the tactics of Oberlin’s pro-[boycott, divestment and sanctions] student organizations that intimidate, threaten and coerce Jewish students, which we have seen and heard in numerous written and spoken reports.”

People objecting against "singling out" Israel and mention that there are organizations "that intimidate, threaten and coerce Jewish students". Those are bad things but there's still nothing pinned to Karega herself, she has yet to be even named.

quote:

The students and alumni didn’t refer to Joy Karega, an assistant professor of rhetoric and composition studies, by name, but the professor has been named in subsequent media coverage as someone aggressively promoting pro-boycott positions on social media. (She’s also reportedly come under fire for co-sponsoring a lecture later this week called “Fighting Apartheid Since 1948: Key Moments in Palestinian and Black Solidarity.”)

Now that Karega is introduced, she's presented as someone who is in favor of boycotting Israel and considers it an Apartheid state, but there's still nothing horrible about her yet.

quote:

Some of Karega’s posts — which have since apparently been deleted but were captured in screenshots by the pro-Israel blog The Tower — state opinions that, while controversial, are shared by other supporters of the Israel boycott movement. “Let some tell it, an attack on Zionism is an attack on Jews,” Karega wrote on Facebook last January, for example, after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo in Paris. “It’s anti-Semitic, so they say. Total nonsense. And I stopped letting folks bully me with that ‘You’re being anti-Semitic’ nonsense a long time ago.”

Now ^^ that ^^ is the point I was talking about.

quote:

Also inflammatory — but arguably a legitimate symbol of her political beliefs — Karega shared with that post an image of an ISIS fighter taking off a mask of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Another posted image recalls World War II-era anti-Jewish propaganda, showing Jacob Rothschild, a member of a well-known Jewish banking family, staring down the words, “We own your news, the media, your oil, and your government.”

And it's here that they start listing the actually outrageous stuff she said.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

First of all, there is virtually no interfaith marriage in Israel.

Since there is no secular marriage in Israel, all marriages have to be handled by religious authorities, this result is not surprising.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's de facto, functional anti-Semitism using the logic of progressivism. If a policy has a disparate impact towards Jews, it's functionally anti-Semitic even if that's not the hypothetical intent - per that reasoning.

If a policy has a disparate impact towards an dispossessed native population, it's functionally colonialism even if that's not the hypothetical intent.
If a policy has a disparate impact towards an entire ethnic group, it's functionally racism even if that's not the hypothetical intent.

Defending the existence of Israel is, de facto, functional colonialism and racism using the logic of progressivisim. Weeeee!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
No, it's a perfectly logical and valid argument, in the same way that arson, theft, and rape are not prosecuted as long as murder exists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I am in favor of a universal, integral boycott of every single country on Earth until Israel stops mistreating Palestinians.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

Its too bad his article is basically him trying to slam dunk liberals by citing things conservative Israelis and Trump said.

"Liberals turn into conservatives when Israel is involved" is the article's basic message, yes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

So, almost 2 years ago Hamas and other jihad groups in Gaza tried violence in earnest against Israel, giving it their best shot. The Israelis responded with Operation Protective Edge and continued until the attacks on Israel stopped.

2 years on, hindsight 20/20, was it a good or bad choice?
Basically your argument is that Israel is better at violence than the Palestinians.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hakimashou posted:

Yeah, way way way way way better. So, it's a crime against decency to cheerlead palestinian violence. It's always doomed to fail, they're always worse off after than they were before, its a fight they can't win and therefore must not engage in.

The notion that if the Palestinians 'martyr' enough of their children the world will turn on Israel is pure bunk. It will never happen. Maybe in a parallel world where there wasn't a huge international fight to the death again salafist islamist terrorists like HAMAS, things might possibly have turned out differently, but it isn't that way.

Cheerleading Palestinian violence is unpardonable. For one, it is self-defeating. The more violent the Palestinians are, the worse off they will be. The more violent they are, the more of them will die violently.

Not that I think cheerleaders of palestinian terrorism are actually perversely motivated by this, I just don't believe they've done a very good job of thinking through the issue.

This is why i think any advocacy for the Palestinians that also condones or endorses violence by Hamas and other jihad groups is without any merit at all and of no value to anyone, and not even a valid position to hold in a serious discussion.

Cheerleading Israeli violence, however, is cool and good, right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

eSports Chaebol posted:

You linked a story about Joy Karega, not Jasbir Puar as you probably intended (though she teaches at Rutgers, not Oberlin). Also, the unauthorized harvesting of organs was not done randomly by "Jews" (no individual Jewish person is responsible for the actions of any other Jewish person or people simply because of their shared Jewishness--to make such a claim is blatant anti-semitism) but at the direction of a single person, Yehuda Hiss, who harvested organs from Jews and Arabs, Israelis and Palestinians alike.

Whenever you accuse one person in particular, who happens to be Jewish, of having committed a crime, you are implicitly accusing all Jews of committing crimes, and therefore are antisemitic. The only way of not being antisemitic is of conferring to all Jews a blanket immunity against any and all accusations.

The same standard, of course, cannot be extended to Palestinians, obviously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
People aren't allies just because they're buddies, they're allies because they need each other's help against a common threat.

There is no scenario in which something would emerge as a threat against which the Israeli would need help from the Palestinians. Besides, you know, what's already happening with the occupation dynamics where the Israeli are glad to receive help from some Palestinians against other Palestinians, of course.

rscott posted:

Aliens coming down from space most likely

No, not even that. In a "war of the worlds" scenario you'd look for allies who have high technology and strong firepower. Palestinians aren't that, what with being an oppressed, divided population living under occupation, so what help could they bring to the table in exchange for spending resources protecting them instead of Israel's own citizens? Wouldn't make sense.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also, it's already full steam ahead with settlements.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

The right is raising a huge fuss about how the Shin Bet is clearly abusing these poor patriots and forcing them into false confessions by applying measures that are normally only used against Palestinians.

Do they actually admit to that last part?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

Apparently free speech violates the Torah and causes gay marriage and Islamic terrorism. I loving love the Jewish Press's constant screeds about how liberalism and freedom are destroying society, and this one's crazier than most

http://www.jewishpress.com/indepth/opinions/modern-liberalism-and-the-death-of-civilization/2016/04/27/

In summary: "Gays and Muslims are subhuman."

There's also some patronizing misogyny as well, of course.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

Given that the crew was suspended from duty and subsequently disciplined after a lengthy investigation, it's gonna be real hard to argue that they weren't lawful combatants acting under the command of a competent authority who they were answerable to. If you think their wing commander or whichever other officer presided over their discipline and declined to press charges has been so willfully indifferent in his duties as to tacitly endorse or support a war crime, you can go that route too, but again, gonna be a hard sell.

Oh the poor dears, they're been suspended from duty (read: they get to go on vacation instead of being in a warzone) and they've been disciplined (some dude with more bling on his uniform than them has wagged his finger at them for a few minutes). That's not a just punishment for a war crime. And besides, they're just the grunts. What about mission control? These guys don't just decide to climb into a plane then wander around looking for things to shoot on their own initiative, they've been told to go there and shoot stuff at such and such coordinates; those who gave them these coordinates and those who okayed the attack are equally culpable.

There's a reason MSF wanted an independent external investigation in this issue; and it's also a reason the USAF denied it: this was a war crime, plain and simple, and an internal investigation is just a way for the USAF to cover its dirty rear end while pretending to save face as much as possible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

Netanyahu was among many cheerleading for it because he's an idiot, a traitor, and a chickenshit.

He's no true Israeli, is that what you're saying? After a rant on cherry-picking and avoiding to mention embarrassing examples, you're then trying to pretend that Bibi is irrelevant to what Israel is and does?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

quote:

PC approved victims

I imagine this analyst yelling "TUMBLLLLLRRRRRR!"

I also enjoy the logic that the Nazi crimes are made less horrible by the fact that they also killed non-Jews.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's ridiculous. The coordinates weren't correct, they were the coordinates of a hospital. MSF gave them the coordinates of their hospital, and regularly reminded them there was a hospital at these coordinates, so they knew it was a hospital. They decided to attack what they knew was a hospital, and that's a war crime.

The gunship loitered for over a hour on the place. The MSF logo was prominently displayed on the building and its entrance. Does the air force hire near-sighted pilots who couldn't tell that it was a hospital? The only reason they're in the clear is that the USA are strong enough to be above the law. You talk about accountability, but they have none of that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

30 minutes, not an hour. 2:08 AM - 2:38 AM.

MSF counted 2:08 - 3:15.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

Either way, it is pretty obvious that it is absurd to accuse Israel apologists of being Jewish

Not just absurd, noxious. Accusations are for bad things; being Jewish is not one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LeoMarr posted:

An israeli fighter jet was spotted near MS804.. it hit mach 2.3 before flying off 2 minutes after the plane lost radar tracking.

They fired an unguided rocked at it.

I was not aware that the EgyptAir A320 was nicknamed USS Liberty.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Is there any other country in the world where an elected representative would feel at liberty to run with a campaign slogan that goes: "Replacing Bibi, I hosed your mother!" or some variant thereof?

It says "Replacing Bibi, Kibinimat"

I read that the most literal understanding is "back to your mom's vagina" though I'm uncertain. Care to elucidate Xander77?

It really seems bizarre to me that russian speaking MKs from the Zionist Union haven't said anything against this campaign, ridiculously vulgar.
Dunno, based on quick googling, it doesn't seem to be that obscene:

Dimrub posted:

And I wouldn’t say it is somehow stronger than cursing in other languages. Comparing with Hebrew, for example, there are also things that are never said in a ‘cultivated’ society or on the TV screen (except some shows that make a point of saying such things). Interestingly enough, there are curses in modern Hebrew, that made their way from Russian. They are as hardcore ‘mat’ as it gets in Russian, but are considered rather mild in Hebrew – such as the ‘kibinimat’, meaning in Hebrew ‘a remote place to be used as destination for annoying people’ (and many people are not even aware of the origins of these curses – they think it’s arabic).

Doesn't seem worse to me than "Read my lips: no more Bush" though this wasn't used officially.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Can you honestly say he's wrong?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There is historically no real differences between Israel's left and right wrt. the Palestinian Question.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JeffersonClay posted:

ISIS is way scarier than the palestinians ever were.

In general terms, maybe, but situationally? I don't think anyone in Israel has to really be afraid of Daesh. As a terrorist group they've never targeted Israeli cities and as a military force they're getting a pounding.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

Great piece about Iraq's ethnic cleansing of Mizrahim in in the 40s/50s. What many anti-Zionists don't emphasize enough is that Zionism is not solely some abstract colonialist project. Its policies were often in direct response to actions like this. Specifically, Iraq's policies poisoned the chances of Palestinian refugees ever receiving compensation or being allowed to return. Whether or not you think it's fair or just, Israel will never accept any agreement that does not include compensation for Mizrahi refugees.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/the-expulsion-that-backfired-when-iraq-kicked-out-its-jews

This is why Mizrahim vote for rightist parties and are the biggest cheerleaders of increased militarism in Israel. They in many cases have a direct grudge and animus against Arabs and/or Muslims.

Okay, so if what you're saying is true, accurate and real, then I have the perfect solution to make absolutely everyone happy and bring back peace in the Middle East. We get the Mizrahim to move out of Israel and back into Iraq, and in their stead the Palestinians can get back on their ancestral lands. I don't expect anyone raising the slightest objection to this plan.

Also Sharett's logic is great because it means that if a pickpocket steals my wallet in the subway, then I am perfectly entitled to steal Sharett's wallet. It's only fair.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 3, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Friendly Factory posted:

Why is Noob Saibot petting kittens?

Why wouldn't he be? If there are kittens somewhere, you pet them. It's the law.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Secular Humanist posted:

Reminiscent of Muslims who cry "Islamophobia" when you criticize the shockingly high levels of homophobia within so many Muslim populations (including Palestine).

Those awful Palestinians and their homophobia! They deserve to be enlightened, with liberal application of the illuminating agent that is white phosphorus. That'll teach them to be progressive!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's something amusingly hypocritical with wanting boycott, divestment, and sanctions against people who want boycott, divestment, and sanctions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

“There are no two states for two nations,” he added. “There is one state for the Jewish people.”
It's nice of them to be honest about their racist and genocidal aims. Usually they try to sweep it under a carpet of hasbara about how they are moral and humane and stuff, and you definitely can't compare them to Apartheid South Africa or Nazi Germany.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cugel the Clever posted:

Good thing he specifically targeted a creed rather than a race, in that case.

TIC just admitted that he believes a large portion of Israeli are fascists, sufficiently large for the death of all fascists to double as a genocide of Israeli.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's insane to me that people regard boycotts as an extremist view. It's such a minor measure that only involves us choosing what to buy.

You're allowed to be opposed to Israel's policies, as long as this is only expressed through a moderate amount of mild tut-tutting but you still give them your full unconditional material support in all their endeavors.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm not talking about settlements, I'm talking about the goal of the BDS movement to expel Israelis from Israel proper.

Yes of course. That's a thing that really exists and is really relevant.

Meanwhile, Israel keeps demolishing Palestinian homes and keeps building new settlements, but hey, allegedly, some BDS people want to expel all Jews from the middle east so it's the Palestinians who are in the wrong.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Israel doesn't need to poison water, they can just bomb water treatment plants to get the same result but with the excuse that they're just defending themselves against terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Insect Court posted:

This strikes me as a rather unconcerned response. But maybe it was intended as one. Is that how you would characterize your reaction to Abbas's remarks? Do we at least agree with the NYT that he was "echoing anti-Semitic claims"?

Obviously. Everything a Palestinian says or does is anti-Semitic by default. Their mere continued existence is the worst act of antisemitism ever committed.