Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This seems like a good thing to discuss after Israel stops openly stealing land in East Jerusalem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The government of Israel are morally equivalent to murderers and should be put in jail, good point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Whenever Israel kills a 14 year old there are people are falling over themselves to point out that they're totally an adult by Arab standards, yeah

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza are already recognized internationally as terrorist groups, while Israel receives huge amounts of military aid and diplomatic support from western nations. If they are morally equivalent we should change our foreign policies to be a lot less pro-Israel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Moreh told The Economist that after interviewing the Shin Bet heads, he decided that Netanyahu “poses a great threat to the existence of the state of Israel.” He said that he seeks “to change the point of view of young Israelis. To tell them a story of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that has not been told before.”

He told The Times of Israel that making the film “changed me a lot....It made me more desperate, more bleak. I saw from their eyes how our leaders really don’t want to solve this problem. They do not have the audacity, the temerity, the will, the courage that we need from a leader.” He added, “I am not putting the blame only on the Israeli leaders. I think the Palestinian leaders suffer from the same horrible disease. I think that what [former Israeli foreign minister] Abba Eban said about how the Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity applies to both sides.”

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

When you think about it people giving me poo poo for being a racist idiot on the internet is the same thing as segregation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

Are we still in agreement that Dees's work is anti-semitic? Or are we going with a 'he's got it right up until the chemtrails and GMO stuff'?
It was explicitly brought up as an example of anti-semitism, idiot

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Does any other nation target UN facilities and staff as regularly as Israel does?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think when a country is receiving $3 billion a year in military aid from your government that entitles you to hold it to higher standards, and maybe ask your government to stop giving them billions of dollars if they are poo poo

Like the US does have a relationship with Saudi Arabia but the scale is just not remotely similar.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think that's actually how anyone thinks. It probably comes down more to the moral outrage of western governments (ie, the representatives of the boycotters) providing so much support to Israel. This also means that a change of policy from our own governments could have a huge effect on the situation, making it a cause that is more likely to succeed than boycotting some random rogue state that won't care.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess collective punishment is only acceptable when it causes massive numbers of civilian deaths and the permanent destruction of critical humanitarian infrastructure.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking realistically a boycott of Israel is not going to cause a humanitarian crisis.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can you provide some examples of what you mean re: Weiss? I am not saying you're wrong, I would just like to see the evidence.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hmm yes the MSF hospital targeting in which the US military investigated the US military and decided that the US military had done nothing wrong is a good, uncontroversial example.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe the UN would like Israel more if Israel didn't keep blowing up its humanitarian facilities

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Let me just repeat the wholly implausible story they're using to cover themselves again:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why would people lie about a bad thing they did? It just makes no sense

e: The idea that it happened entirely accidentally and with no negligence on the part of anyone is an extraordinary claim and requires an actual independent investigation to support it, rather than an internal PR job. It also as a point of fact does not prevent it from being a war crime.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 7, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's a meaningful distinction between criticizing settlements and supporting full boycotts or any other crazy demand. The former is a mainstream belief.
It's insane to me that people regard boycotts as an extremist view. It's such a minor measure that only involves us choosing what to buy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like that since TIC accidentally locked himself out of his beloved Nazi analogies he's been stuck using completely nonsensical comparisons to the US right.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The sad part is that it would be a huge improvement over the current situation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not just "some Jews in Israel", it's that the government both perpetrates and enables that abuse.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

three weeks after it signed a lucrative military aid package

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So saw this in the USPOL thread:
https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/status/798096114868244480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This Bannon guy...I didn't believe it at first. I knew Breitbart were lovely but holy hell. I thought the fact the actual Neo Nazis rejected Milo meant Breitbart wasn't that bad.

But no, they are white supremacists anti-Semites too.
How could this come as a surprise? Bannon was his campaign manager. Although I guess I never understood why they supported the crazy guy rising to power on a new wave of antisemitism over the politician who has been very consistently pro-Israel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I was in the 'this doesn't matter' camp but maybe the Israeli government's freakout over it could push them away from their allies. The truth of the matter is that the resolution is extremely uncontroversial outside of the US and Israel - it is so obviously true that basically every other country has it as their official policy and would always vote for it. The only unusual thing is that the US did not veto it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All Israelis are Jews (except for the ones who aren't).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

starkebn posted:

Why can't Palestinians just have equal rights in a one state Israel?
It would leave Jews as a minority in Israel and that's not seen as acceptable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How dare you hold a state that receives massive diplomatic and financial support from your own nation to a higher standard than already sanctioned pariahs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe the Palestinians should try to set up some kind of organization to encourage individuals and states to Sanction, Divest from and Boycott Israel. I'm sure that organization would be well regarded as a restrained and peaceful movement rather than monstered as people who want to kill all Jews everywhere.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

This is disingenuous nonsense, as the official BDS movement supports the right of return, meaning it's not the actual two state solution, making it a complete non-starter with Israel. It's not a movement merely trying to end the occupation or end the Gaza blockade. It's actually directly contradicting those efforts, and trying really hard to prolong a miserable war.
Case in point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Destroying his home serves only to punish his family and community.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I was thinking troll but spending $10 on that incredibly mad avatar is a whole new level.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I bet all those kids whose homes got demolished for no reason are gonna grow up just loving Israel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's more just a general act of collective punishment and coercion. "Don't come out and protest or medically attend to protesters or you might get shot."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that the popular opinion in Israel right now has swung hard to the right, Netanyahu can't accept a cease fire.

Hamas' improved rocket barrage capabilities are basically seen as a shift in the status quo, scoring direct hits on Tel-Aviv and firing hundreds of rockets in the span of minutes is a new thing, the Israeli population is terrified.
Yeah. I've read that Hamas has also demonstrated that they now have accurate anti-tank missiles, which could be a problem for any ground invasion of Gaza.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even being broadly supportive of Palestine it's impossible to defend this massacre. It will lead to an enormous escalation from Israel and terrifying consequences for the residents of Gaza.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

This is the key take away for me: this decisively ends the long-running accepted situation where the Palestinians are penned in and Israel continually slowly but surely expands its settlements, while the outside world makes empty noises about some sort of 2 state solution at some point, maybe. I don't think there's any going back to that now: whatever happens next, it's going to be something new and different, which I guess is the strategic aim of the attack, to shatter the status quo.
I strongly suspect this "new and different" situation will be Gaza being bombed to rubble in the ensuing war.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A lot of them were from other countries too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think political violence is sometimes justified, but that this specific act of political violence was heinous, excessive and will likely prove enormously counterproductive to the Palestinian cause.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ummel posted:

I'm really not so sure about this, and I feel like we're about to find out the extent of this statement is a truly awful way.
Yeah. Consider what has happened to many cities in Ukraine that are around the same size as Gaza (the difference being that they had somewhere to flee).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

i fly airplanes posted:

He may be voted out, because security (not peace) was the entirety of his platform. He has failed in this regard, drastically.

The downside is we may see someone even more far right than Bibi.
Also he's going to obliterate Gaza in order to try and save his premiership.