Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Come on, Abbas, stop with this 'we want to be a real country' drama. If you do, you can meet our decrepit president that is happily funding the current genocide of your people! Maybe you'll even get ice cream during the photo op!"

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/17/un-palestine-membership-biden

quote:

According to the officials, Abbas rejected the U.S. pressure and his aides told the Biden administration they are moving forward with the vote.

A senior Palestinian official said the Biden administration asked whether Abbas would suspend the bid if he is invited to meet with Biden at the White House.

The Palestinian official said Abbas rejected this trade-off and said he agreed to such a U.S. proposal a year ago but never got an invitation.
U.S. officials admitted they failed in convincing the Palestinians to suspend their UN bid.

What they're saying: "We wanted the U.S. to provide a substantive alternative to UN recognition. They didn't. We believe full membership in the UN for Palestine is way overdue. We have waited more than 12 years since our initial request," the Palestinian official said.

The State Department didn't respond to a request for comment.

It says quite a bit about how poo poo the offers are when even a corrupt empty suit like Abbas can't play along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The complete and utter erasure of anti-zionist jews from the protests and even the narrative is just chilling.

I saw more of them during the cring video of the woman with the 'jew' t-shirt today, posting how unsafe she felt at a campus protest (while hundreds of supposedly murderously anti-semitic people around her barely took notice) and a group with a Jews-for-Free-Palestine sign could be seen for a couple of seconds in the background.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That one, yes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Butter Activities posted:

Okay what actually is your point in all this? What is any of this about? What ultimate point relevant to anything we’re talking about right now is it important that we quibble over the nature of historical ethnic claims to land with you?

Writers and essayists squirt giant clouds of ink for the same reason squids do: to distract and confuse. I was reading through his posts for a while and most were belabored, multi-paragraph just-asking-questions diatribes that oscilate between pseudo-academic wanking "but what is a people, anyway?" and "ethnostates are cool and good, actually", depending on how much good faith you ascribe.

I mean, we're at the mass grave stage of this debacle. I'm not saying everyone should go out and break things, but after a certain point this fake high-minded debate pervert diatribes become either malicious or tone-deaf.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
We're reaching extremely normal levels of people's brainsmelting when faced with basic decency and solidarity..

Adam Sessler, former host of the G4 show X-Play, apparently deleted his account after posting this. Bluesky account also seems to be gone.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yinlock posted:

the pro-defamation league

No kidding. This is a step beyond Ben Shapiro's old gatekeeping of 'real' jewish people.

But as others were saying, everything old is new again.

Anti-trans rhetoric is 90% just old anti-gay canards ("They can't breed so they have to recruit! They are a threat to children! They're mentally ill!")

Pro-ceasefire talk is attacked with the same "You're with the terrorists, huh, traitor?" talk that was the meat and drink of GWOT reaction.

Normally, the notion of ADL and Zionists going full "See, anti-zionist jews are actually the ones with dual loyalties, making matzo bread with baby blood, running all the evil banks and greedily doing anything for a buck. They totall ydid the Protocols!" would be too absurd to countenance, but some people are touching the plate already when presented with the reality of jewish participation in the anti-war side.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Blinken/Biden's one performative fig leaf of pretending to curb excesses of the IDF gets predictably smothered with a pillow.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...0News%20report.

quote:

Washington will not go ahead with sanctions it has been considering against Israeli military and police units alleged to have committed human rights violations against Palestinians, including the Netzah Yehuda Battalion, according to an ABC News report.

While the Biden administration has determined “gross human rights violations” were committed by Israel Defense Forces against Palestinians in the West Bank, according to the report, the relevant battalions will remain eligible for US military aid.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken shared the assessment in a letter to House Speaker Mike Johnson, ABC reports, in which he wrote that the position “will not delay the delivery of any US assistance and Israel will be able to receive the full amount appropriated by Congress.”

"Yeah, they for sure did Human Rights Abuses. No, we ain't doing poo poo."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hey it's me, the cool enlightened liberal dude, I really care about democracy and civilization, just joking about <checks note> burning jewish people alive.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Fair enough. I've been trying to keep track of the general debate on the issue, but you're right. We're likely a good bit into people just tossing out edgy takes to stir online shitstorms, too, so it's a bottomless well.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Majorian posted:

I'd love to see these units get sanctioned by the U.S. Somehow I doubt they will, but it would be nice to see our government take, well, ANY concrete steps at all to discourage this behavior.

e: I won't embed the link since there's some bloody images in there, although I don't think it FULLY counts as gore.

I never got this whole issue of sanctioning specific -units-. What, you earmark the crates of weapons and cash and go "None for battallion 302! They did one massacre too many."? What is keeping the rest of the armed forces from just juggling supplies/whatever around and make it a moot point?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Question: Is discussion of antiwar protests and demosntrations best done here, or in the US politics thread?

Things got rough last night at the UCLA demonstrator camp, as a mob of zionist counter-protestors atacked. They tried to tear down the encampment, beat what lone people and aid volunteers they could find with pipes, and shot loving -fireworks- into the crowd.

https://dailybruin.com/2024/05/01/pro-israel-counter-protesters-attempt-to-storm-encampment-sparking-violence

The chants and shouts were, as you might expect, far lessabout feeling unsafe than calling for a new nakba. The NYT report is back on full, glorious passive voice arstitry of the "clashes erupted" variety.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

That link appears to be down

Huh. It was up an hour ago. It's the student newspapers, so I wonder if they got cracked down on.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The updated version of "If you think about it, the anti-nazi partisans were ultimately responsible for the Lidice massacre. They had to know there would be a reaction to Heydrich being killed." is one hell of a take, but oddly common among PEP types and adjacents.

It's bizarre watching the same playbook unfolding every single time, be it Palestine, Iraq, South Africa, Vietnam, Civil Rights. The Outside Agitator trope. The 'you can protest, but not like that. Not like -that- either!' demonstration sommeliers. Media and people conveniently forgetting that infiltrators and provocateurs are a thing. The establishment moving to reshape the discussion and the issue into the least charitable framing possible. Making the reaction to a crisis the issue instead of the crisis itself.

You think along the way someone would have learned something, but the business of empire churns ever onward, I guess.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Not to mention, you seem to be implying that if the ANC had killed more white Rhodesians in their resistance to violent apartheid, that their cause would have been illegitimate? I certainly don't think that would have been the case.

People making that argument are very careful to never define what level of civilian suffering/death removes legitimacy from a movement/nation/institution. Because no matter how high set it, their approved side has invariably crossed it several times over. It's just easier tocontrast any protest of resistance again a platonic, perfect non-violent version and reject it for failing to meet those standards.

Was jewish nationalism invalid because they blew up the King David Hotel and killed 100 people? Of course not, and it's not like one of the brains behind that came to lead the jewish state once it was formed, right? ...right? But as Piers Morgan was arguing this week, throwing rocks at a tank is violent and just makes him sour about the whole thing, even though he really wants to defend your freedom of protest, guys!

So yeah, some sides can run up death scored into the thousands/hundreds of thousands, but because they (supposedly) didn't mean to, it's alright, they are good guys and justified/legitimate. You can blow up apartment buildings because one militia leader was supposedly inside it and hey, that's just war, plus they hide behind civilians! Plus, remember the terrible things they did on Day X, when History started!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Goatse James Bond posted:

Article says that they're telling Congress it's the literal meaning of indefinitely ("I tried to get my homework done and need an extension, it'll being soon") and not the figurative ("lol get hosed"). We'll see whether that's the case.

Isn't the official report on Israel having non-treaty nuclear weapons also presently stuck in a "we're currently doing research (lol not really) on the topic, results pending" status so it never has to address the obvious?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

I think raising the blood pressure of people like this is good, even if it's not a huge material shift in policy.

https://twitter.com/itamarbengvir/status/1788458123436433783

It's darkly amusing that Biden basically imploding his 18-35 support to give Israel basically everything it wanted bought him ZERO slack from the warmongers.

Not that I believe he will stop the weapons supply in any real way. The IDF has been preparing for this for weeks and likely has all the material it needs. And "major" ivasion can be construed in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Does Israel have a large domestic industry on this stuff? Even with sizable stockpiles going in, after months of war those become near depleted without constant infusions (we somewhat see this with the war in Ukraine, where even the manufacturing capacity can have trouble keeping up with how quickly munitions are being spent).

Brasil has suspended the purchase of israeli artillery and ammunitions yesterday.

https://operamundi.uol.com.br/guerr...etivos-sociais/

I think it's safe to say Israel has a decent-sized arms industry and supply, but not enough to fully cover their big operations plus international sales for an extended period.