Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lmao, the nation founded from people who suffered under Dr. Mengele did this?

The irony is truly palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

qkkl posted:

I think I found a solution to the Israel/Palestine problem. All Israeli Jewish settlers and Israeli Muslims simply switch places, and Israel leaves the West Bank so it can officially become the Palestinian state. In addition Israel gets to pass a law that says only Jews can be citizens of Israel. This is a win for the Palestinians because they get an independent state consisting of the entire West Bank, and a win for Israel because they can finally stop worrying about Israeli Muslims outnumbering Jews and making Israel not a Jewish state anymore.

Thanks qkkl could you write this in crayon and fax to Zionist HQ? Tia

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

So, it is necessary to oppress minorities now? Do you realize how hard it is not to :godwin: with this kind of logic?

Any civilized society will recognize that minorities inevitably represent a fifth column, which must be concentrated and monitored until a lasting solution can be devised.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

I can guarantee you that he's very, very pleased with the consequences of Dubya's crusade.

Yep, Iran having more puppet states and a connection to Hezbollah sure is great for Israel

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Interesting points, but have you considered the Illuminati?

Yes, in fact I've also heard that the Jews secretly control Israel

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Never thought I'd see the day Dershowitz accidentally wandered into the right side of history.

Even a broken human is right twice a lifetime

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

What if the shame induced by merciless mocking is the best method to get them to rethink their pre-conceptions?

Tends to make people double down, not change their minds.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grape posted:

The real inevitable tragedy was that the Nazis had two big goals regarding their territory that clashed.

1. No Jews.
2. All that nice elbow room out east.

And y'know, annexing Poland and eventually the former Pale of Settlement meant the Nazis came into control of shitloads of Jews.

Well, they had a solution for this. :(

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

also these two paragraphs from an NYT article about what is going on in Israel are giving me a headache already at the thought-

Hmm it seems like Netanyahu never planned on honoring his agreements with Gantz. Who could have expected this?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Starpluck posted:

"Terrorism is defined in the Code of Federal Regulations as “the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives” (28 C.F.R.)"

Israel's decision to target the lead scientist was intended to intimidate and strike fear into the hearts of the other civilian scientists. This is what terrorism is. It is stunning we have a terrorist-state in 2020 that is so widely supported in the U.S. and ignored by the EU. If Iran killed a chief scientist from the West, the world would be passing sanctions.

The US has literally droned tens of thousands of people, many innocent, so not sure why this is "stunning"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I just wanna give big congrats to Israel for being the first earth government to join the galactic federation.

https://www.jpost.com/omg/former-israeli-space-security-chief-says-aliens-exist-humanity-not-ready-651405

Look I can buy the idea of a Galactic Federation of aliens, but I do not buy the idea of Donald J. Trump knowing about the Galactic Federation of aliens and not telling us about it. Not credible, imo

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
IMO, the idea of having a state based on an ethnicity is immoral in itself. Why should there be a Jewish State any more than an Arab State or a White People State? The idea that an entire nation should be founded to ensure a society where a particular type of people should have supremacy over others simply due to their birth, is ludicrous and immoral.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

jiffypop45 posted:

Is Israel really homogenous enough to call it an ethnostate? Judaism is a religion ethnicities are Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Mizrahi, etc. This might just be too much jtwitter on my part and lack of understanding of the demographics in Israel but isn't the idea supposed to be about the Jewish religion not the ethnicities associated with it?

Absolutely it's still an ethnostate, that would be like saying South Africa or Rhodesia weren't ethnostates because there were different types of white people such as British and Dutch colonists. Judaism is non-prosletyzing religion and therefore has evolved as a combination of culture, religion as ethnicity. You can inherit "being Jewish" and be able to emigrate to Israel even if you are an athiest. Many of the original zionists were secularists and many Jews in Israel today are athiest. Religion is just one component of it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lum_ posted:

There is and it will be extremely bloody for both sides. The last time this happened (Protective Edge) 67 Israelis and over 2000 Gazans died.

Those numbers do not sound "extremely bloody" for both sides, only one side. The numbers differ by literally an order of magnitude.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I've read that Hamas has also demonstrated that they now have accurate anti-tank missiles, which could be a problem for any ground invasion of Gaza.

They've had those for years. Israeli tanks have active protection systems that can defeat them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

madmatt112 posted:

Israel gets turbofucked almost overnight by militant, vengeful neighbouring countries? I don’t know enough to make confident projections of scenarios.

No, Israel could crush conventional offensives by any of its neighbors, and then has nuclear weapons after that.

Flannelette posted:

Israel's past doctrine is if the US stops protecting them and their military falls to invasion they will launch submarine nuclear missiles at the US/Europe/Mid East's etc cities to take them down with them. That was some time ago I haven't seen any more recent stances on it but there is nothing the US can do to stop them from doing this if they actually intend to so it's safer to just help them + any government that doesn't support Israel will have a hard time being elected either way.

Nuking the US and Europe . . . was not Israeli military doctrine ever.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ravel posted:

Some writers have written about the Samson Option, which may be a retaliative strategy, or it might be something darker.

Some writers writing what they think the Israeli military should do =/= Israeli military doctrine

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The rockets make people afraid and Netanyahu is a good politician who can turn fear into votes. I think whether the conflict is short or long its good for him. Protective Edge lasted over a month.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Flannelette posted:

Have the EU and US send in a whole bunch of military observers to stand around in gaza and watch how quick they stop bombing.

didnt help the uss liberty lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1395474400611348480?s=20

Besides the obvious "Israel only gets a few more hours to destroy gaza buildings" advantage, this seems like a loss for Hamas. They didnt get any assurances on their two ceasefire conditions, Israel got to gently caress poo poo up for free.

Makes me wonder if Israel did hit Hamas harder than we thought; if they were successfully evading bombings you'd think they would have held on as global action continued to mount. The strike dealt tens of millions of dollars in damages to Israel's economy, you'd think they would prefer to stoke that.

Tens of millions of dollars is a drop in the bucket to the Israeli economy which is getting literally thousands of millions of dollars from Uncle Sam every year.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Madkal posted:

Unlike your aimlessly firing missiles at civilian populations my aimlessly firing missiles at civilian populations if fully justified.

It is though. Hamas is shooting rockets randomly at cities, like shooting into a crowd with a shotgun, how can you justify that?

Meanwhile the IDF is conducting war as mercifully as possible using precision weapons, more akin to headshotting individual children using a sniper rifle.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

There haven't been any if I remember correctly?

Thats the joke lol

We'll never know, because Fatah keeps postponing the elections every time it looks like Hamas will make major gains. Which appears to be . . .every single time there would be an election!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Would exodus to more 'prosperous' muslim countries like Malaysia be an option? It's that or a slow death at this point. :shrug:

imo people doing an exodus to a place and displacing the locals is the source of the whole problem, so no

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Naftali Bennet is hardly an improvement over Netanyahu and even if this government forms, how can it last? You got Labor and Islamists in a government with Bennet as PM who wants to annex the west bank among other things?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Who said anything about improvement :v:

You're right, this might turn out worse for everybody than Netanyahu!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Here's what worries me tho - Lapid's coalition will be fragile, but will it even need to exist long enough for that to matter very much? Granted I'm an outsider, but it seems easy enough for me to imagine the new coalition forming, ousting Bibi, and then a few weeks or months later enough members of Likud who weren't obsessively loyal to Bibi himself simply shrugging it off and joining Lapid's coalition in enough numbers to offset the palestinian party, so now you've got a majority of the government happily (back) aboard the "full genocide now" train.

An Arab party being part of the government has broken the rule of "no Arabs in coalitions". Having an Arab party as a coalition option is a genie that can't go back in the bottle especially when it was two ultranationalists fighting each other to get them in their coalitions.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The attack makes Hamas somebody you actually have to negotiate with and listen to instead of a harmless joke. And after Hamas got wrecked the last time around it was only a matter of time until they felt the need to do something "big".

Attack seems designed to cancel the Saudi-Israel peace deal, which depending on Saudi Arabia's conditions probably had a lot better chance of improving the average palestinian life than this.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Recoome posted:

Oh jeez, please don’t justify murdering civilians

Discussing the logic of murdering civilians =/= justifying or condoning it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fill Baptismal posted:

I don't know about it being intentionally chosen, but otherwise, yeah. This wasn't a mob of angry teenagers, they were a paramilitary unit that successfully launched an airborne assault. They clearly had communication, at least some training, and some kind of chain of command. The "burst out of a cage, filled with rage!" talk doesn't really make sense in that context. They're as culpable as any other unit of soldiers would be. Would a group of Ukranian airborne infantry landing at rave in Rostov-on-don and emptying magazines into the festival-goers be an example of "unleashed rage"? No, it would be a war crime.

Anyway, I wonder if these attacks save or drat Bibi. Nothing right-wing strongmen love more than an external foe, but it's also a massive failure that happened on his watch.

IMO these are really bad for Bibi. A small war would be good for him. But in this case, he sold himself as the strongman who's going to protect the nation and yet more Israelis died in one day under his watch, than have died from terrorist attacks in several previous decades combined. And it's assignable to him -- he made the decision to prioritize the judicial "reforms" at the expense of national defense. He ordered the IDF to put all of its troops into the West Bank instead of facing Gaza, because he oversaw the policies that aggravated tensions in that area.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dexanth posted:

If Hamas had actually been out to win sympathy for their cause, there were far better ways to go about this. They could have, for instance, forced people out of their homes at gunpoint, and then torched the property. Burn the settlements, keep the people alive - now you're forcing the Israeli government to resettle its own people while also clearing the colonial settlements at the same time.

Or as Conspiratiorist has noted, go after purely military targets.

Or any number of other things that are not /going around massacring, raping, and killing unarmed people/ and thus triggering exactly the global & local responses we are seeing.

Israel is a lovely apartheid state. gently caress Bibi for being a corrupt shitheel and making it worse.

Massacring civilians is also wrong. gently caress Hamas for this poo poo.

Killiing tons of innocent people has a lot more utility than going after purely military targets. I think it's ridiculous to assume that Hamas would have enjoyed as much success if they purely focused on military targets -- they already basically overran everything they could, which was poorly manned border outposts. Had they decided to pursue anything bigger than that, they would have gotten probably gotten annihilated. I'm sure that would have built "international sympathy" but that's not really worth anything.

Meanwhile, going after civilians allowed them to take a ton more hostages and also rack up bodies. It magnifies greatly the failure of a settler-friendly government. And politically it forces the Israelis into a ground confrontation where Hamas could make a stand and potentially survive (a "victory"), whereas a focus on military targets would have left the Israelis with the option of just doing bombing with no risk, like all the other times. And by going after civilians they were able to take all kinds of people hostage, such as children, which further limits the options of the Israeli government and gives them more leverage for hostage negotiations.

Yeah that's really lovely and morally wrong but that's why they did it this way as opposed to going after military targets alone.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mikojan posted:

I could see him overcorrecting on his mistakes by brutal retaliation. And after a week or so the EU and US will go "hey wow, maybe genociding an entire populace isn't very cool"

There's been no pushback on cutting water and food to the entire population. I think Netanyahu has a blank check from the US.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Vegetable posted:

What the hell do US presidential poll ratings from 9/11 have to do with the war? Is it possible for Americans to sometimes not talk about themselves? :shrug:

if you are following the conversation, it appears people are talking about how a major terrorist attack affects popularity of a nations leader. considering that many Israelis have compared the attack to 9/11, it seems reasonable that others would then discuss how 9/11 affected the popularity of the country's leader

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Netanyahu has told Biden that a ground operation is inevitable, to "restore deterrence"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
benny gantz will have no real influence yet will be easily blamed for any future problems

how does netanyahu keep doing this

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Intent.

If you are a military leader, strike a military target but end up killing civilians unintentionally that makes you at the least possibly a lovely general. Beheading on the other hand, you are clearly trying to murder. There is no way that is remotely any kind of accident. It also hits the human psyche of being an especially cruel way to die.

And Israel is striking only military targets? Really this is more like a carpet bombing campaign, take a look at the destroyed neighborhoods of Gaza and tell me any general reasonably thought those apartment buildings were all legitimate military targets.

The death in Gaza is not accidental. And when you cut off food, water and electricity to a blockaded area then it cant be considered an accident if any civilians starve or thirst to death.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

No, I don't believe so.

I never said or even implied that it was accidental? Why are you even bringing this up?

You said the difference between a baby buried in rubble and baby beheaded is intent, and I'm saying there is not a difference in intent between the people beheading the babies and people burying the babies in rubble.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Some moderately good news. Israel promises to renew water supply to parts of southern Gaza.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/renewed-water-supply-parts-south-gaza-agreed-with-biden-israeli-minister-2023-10-15/

Unfortunately, I believe this might be the bad news for northern Gaza, if the South becomes the dedicated safe zone for civilians.

wonder how the water will actually get to anybody anyways. the water infrastructure wouldnt be doing so well after this much bombardment, and anyways water pumps run on electricity

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

israeli officials previously said they would never lie, so this must be true

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i mean are they really corroborating it? thats like cnn corroborating an idf report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
doing hostage rescue with the 120mm cannon of my 80 ton main battle tank, as we do