Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I’m not an expert on either, but surely Russia and China are two dramatically different countries, and perhaps a country ravaged by colonialism and a century of atrocity and humiliation at the hands of the West and asserting itself as an alternative to the Western system might have partially different motives for opposing a resolution from genocidal Western colonial powers than Putin does?

I can't tell if this is ironic, but that sort of sums up Putin's aspirations for Russia's motives. Which is to say, caveat emptor when it comes to players in geopolitik who think they're big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

And yet, who painted that as a Western-only thing? The West did tons of horrific poo poo in China, no qualifications or whatabouts necessary, and the anti-colonial Marxist ideology of China's ruling elite is the lens through which they view geopolitics. You don't have to agree with it to understand that their worldview and strategy is grounded in a materialist perspective of the history of Western imperialism in a way that Putin definitely doesn't share. It's lazy to lump the motivations of the two countries together just because they're adversaries of the US order (as a previous poster suggested, not necessarily you).

In this analysis, is it the materialist perspective of silicon manufacture that drives China's desires on Taiwan?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kalit posted:

Also, the genocide has been ongoing for nearly the entire existence of Israel, which is well before Biden was a politician. No need to pretend like Biden is the sole reason it hasn’t stopped

In the land of Dungeons and Debates, the usage of the term "sole" has consequences, does it not? What is it that you are arguing here?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

FFS how is this relevant to anything? If you have a point, would you just come out and say it? Things like this make this thread suck

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

You don't have to agree with it to understand that their worldview and strategy is grounded in a materialist perspective of the history of Western imperialism in a way that Putin definitely doesn't share.

In the context of Vladimir Putin's genocidal war on Ukraine, which has been interpreted to various degrees between "dumb" and "listening to supposed pan-Slavic influencers (derogatory but about the influencer part)", it remains opaque to me how China's materialist perspective would be a contrast to the actions of Putin or Israel in their war schemes. Which is why I asked for clarification on this point, is there some major material scheme of China's part on Taiwan that eludes me? I am, as a dim westerner, only aware of Taiwan's heavy role in the semiconductor market.

Kalit posted:

Did you not read the post I was responding to? It’s literally what was being claimed….

I am quoting this in order to avoid the Dungeons and Debates rule captcha about not responding to arguments presented, and would like to thank the Academy for the esteemed fellows who responded on my behalf better than I could.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Esran posted:

Thanks, but I don't think I want to be IK'ing this thread. Is it normal to appoint people IK without asking first?

I thought it was a proud goon tradition that people just woke up one day with buttons (and then accidentally merge the entire forums into a single thread, or whatever that mess was); you're part of a long history.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Many decades of allowing them to integrate into our military supply chains allowed this. This is the consequence of decades of choices. It is our fault. But it’s also not active or willing.

Maybe I'm not parsing this right, but I am having difficulty comprehending this statement. Is this situation something analogous to MAD, where small incremental steps by a lot of institutions and people leads to a situation where no one wants to nuke the northern hemisphere to smithereens, but everyone has to agree to commit to it unwillingly, in case general Ripper goes insane? Is that what you mean when you say the US is not active or willing? There's too much institutional inertia at play, on many fronts, that cannot be stopped by human action anymore?

As you state in another post, everything Israel is doing is pretty dang stupid and bad for them as a state, so it seems especially stupid of the US to be an unwilling and "inactive" (sorry if that's bad paraphrasing) participant in this mess of crimes against humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hong XiuQuan posted:

I've been reading through your stream of quotes there are a few things that you seem to think obvious and true that others might think stupid and credulous. Let's go through a couple of your lines of argument.

1) The US doesn't have much leverage over Israel because it's worried about its own supply chain for various parts including optics - I'm not sure why you're choosing to ignore other forms of leverage Israel has (eg through a strong lobby network). The optics example doesn't make a lick of sense. If Israel threatened that kind of leverage of the US in a non-urgent situation, the answer isn't to immediately start presenting but to threaten to remove anything supply-chain oriented from Israel. You certainly don't start granting tens of billions to the country committing genocide. The US has leverage here.

I'm just theorizing here, but since there has been some discussion about how Israel as a nation entity seems to have adopted a rhetorical strategy of calling anyone criticizing them anti-Semites, it's maybe easier to understand or swallow "oh Israel manufactures fancy military poo poo that the US couldn't defeat the Soviet empire without make themselves" than "Israel has massive political lobbying power in the US and this makes all politicians sit on their hands nervously" since that latter one can be interpreted quite easily as an anti-Semitic cultural trope. "The perfidious Jew has their hands on all the levers of power", etc.

I'm not saying it's going on in this thread, but the general public slash media discourse around this whole disaster is, well, a mess, so I could see some logic in finding more beep-boop, non-emotional arguments to point at, even if they fall apart under some scrutiny or not. And the technical argument, ironically enough, is slightly more optimistic; if Israel is the only source of [magical people-killing doohickey], this situation has a relatively easy fix, make them in the US itself or buy them from someone else who makes people-killing doohickeys*. How do you go about the discourse around fixing the US political situation so that the Israeli lobbying organizations don't have so much power? It almost immediately caves in because getting money in general out of US politics is apparently impossible for a host of very cynical reasons.

*Of course the actual argument seems to have been that these particular magical doohickeys cannot be found anywhere else on the planet, but the obvious counter-argument is that the US is a manufacturing powerhouse and maybe doesn't care about patent law as much as it does about people-killing doohickeys