Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

LeoMarr posted:

That would be like if every once and a while we reoccupied the south

Go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

skeet decorator posted:

In this case it does, they explicitly spell it out :

It is pretty lovely that some Arab states still refuse to grant citizenship to their Palestinian refugees, but that doesn't make Israel any less lovely. And realistically, any solution that relies on Saudi Arabia respecting the human rights of its Palestinian refugees is laughable at best. So what is a realistic solution for refugees stuck in a poo poo hole like Saudi Arabia?

Maybe a two-state solution? A boycott of Saudi-made products?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't think it is reasonable to assume a nation-state must be entirely multicultural and divorced from any historical, cultural, religious or ethnic focus. Most states are not. Requiring Israel to be so seems highly impractical.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

The entire idea behind liberalism as a political ideology is that individual people have rights, not abstract collections or classifications of people. Ethnic groups do not have the right to an exclusive state, and the idea that they do is about as anti-liberal as it gets

Luckily, hardly anyone here gives a crap about liberalism.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Main Paineframe posted:

Ethnic or religious groups shouldn't be oppressed, disenfranchised, or discriminated against, regardless of the ethnic or religious makeup of the state.

They shouldn't. It would be nice if they wouldn't. But, they will be if they declare themselves enemies of that state and repeatedly collaborate with foreign invaders.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

OzyMandrill posted:

TIC, I asked a single question several pages ago. Please explain why we have to discriminate between ethnic or religious groups? It seems unfair to me.

Sometimes two different ethnic groups have really different ideas on how things should be and/or also they want to kill each other, so they can't coexist in a really tiny area.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This seems like a good thing to discuss after Israel stops openly stealing land in East Jerusalem

Israel is not going to stop doing that because having tiny enclaves occupied by foreign hostiles is dumb and untenable.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Indeed. Regardless, though, in practical terms the justifications don't matter a bit.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Main Paineframe posted:

"It's inconvenient for us if they live there" is not a valid reason for stealing, and collective punishment of entire civilian populations for the acts of terrorist individuals or organizations is generally considered a violation of human rights.

Perhaps, but in practical terms only one nationality can possess the land between Lebanon and Egypt. There will be peace when everyone comes to that realization.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
A two-state solution isn't possible because a nation founded for the purpose of being the Jewish state and an ethnic group defined in opposition to the existence of that state are not going to coexist, and because nobody wants weird little microenclaves all over the place, and because all sorts of other reasons that make it ridiculously impractical and undesirable.

A sovereign Israel is going to exist unless the US pulls its support. That is all.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

This is correct, Israel will continue to exist side by side with Palestine because Israel has enjoyed US support for so long and is so well established it would be extremely unlikely a Palestinian state could threaten the existence of Israel even if it were hostile.

Not that they wouldn't try.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Terrorizing Israel as a strategy is a lot larger than Hamas. The onus comes down on Israel to change its policies if your goal is for terrorist fighters from all over the Middle East to stop engaging in terrorist acts.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

Because he's unable to process the idea of equality before the law and universal human rights, or of racial and ethnic groups not being in a hierarchy of superiority to each other

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Non-citizens do not have equality before the law with citizens in any nation that I know of. Anyone who supports groups like Hamas could, obviously, not become an Israeli citizen under any rational policy.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Best browser add-on I ever installed since AdBlock.

It isn't showing up for me?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kajeesus posted:

What about the right to not be born into a prison camp? The right to not suffer collective punishment? The right to not be discriminated against for your ethnicity? Am I to assume you believe the right to gun down children wielding knives is really greater than any other liberty you can imagine?

E: Okay, fair's fair. The right to tell people that gunning down children wielding knives is an acceptable precaution.

How does this not illustrate to you that the liberal narrative of individualist rights is of extremely limited application?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

*even this wouldn't violate the first amendment since SA moderators aren't the government

And refusing to serve lunch to minority diners at the Woolworth's lunch counter didn't violate the 14th Amendment, at first.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Is this supposed to be a joke? In case you're being serious, those things aren't even remotely the same. It is obvious that businesses have the right to discriminate based upon speech, but they do not have the right to discriminate based upon things like skin color (and ideally also sexual orientation even though I don't think that's the case in the US yet).

Exactly. Civil rights can be violated via concerted or pervasive action by private parties, not just government agencies. The law evolves as the situation evolves, and leftists fleeing to a libertarian view of free speech is the most hilarious thing ever.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

Nothing has a possible good end for Palestinians. Don't try to pretend to be concerned about their well-being, since you're the one arguing that Israel should be allowed to commit every crime it wants against them while the entire world should applaud, because Hitler.

The well-being of Palestinians and Israelis depends on the Palestinians realizing that the war is over.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

If the war is over, why are Israeli settlers conquering new land every day?

Because the neighboring Arab nations have refused to allow the Palestinians to immigrate.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Torrannor posted:

Why should the Palestines leave their lands?

Because it is loving Israel now, obviously.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

team overhead smash posted:

If there's one thing basically every country in the entire world agrees on, it's that the occupied land isn't Israel's. Hell, even Israel doesn't try and claim that any of it besides East Jerusalem is actually Israeli because it knows it would get shat upon - hence why it has to go for the slow creeping annexation of settlement expansion instead.

That is what is known as a legal fiction.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Main Paineframe posted:

Not unless the Palestinians have officially surrendered it to Israel in the war-ending peace deal.

If you have lost but failed to surrender, then it should be no surprise when the conflict continues.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
If you aren't uniformed combatants of any nation, you can't claim any land.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
The idea of Palestinians being citizens of Israel in any significant numbers is ludicrous and is only being propounded as an attempt to throw sand in the gears.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The idea that Israel can control the territory and every aspect of their lives while not granting them equal rights is known as 'apartheid'. And besides, Israel already has 2 million palestinian citizens, that's a rather significant number.

What are you proposing?

quote:

in 1967 they were citizens of either Jordan or Egypt;

This.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

So Jordan and Egypt should have the territory back, then?

Ahahahahaha. No.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
No, just resettlement.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

Madagascar makes sense, don't you think?

Just to be more serious, that is literally the definition of ethnic cleansing.

Cleansing is good. I think I am going to go take a cleansing right now!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I am aware that it is a terrifying subject for goons.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Modern international law means jack-poo poo when it presumes to prohibit something that every country knows is a practical necessity.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
You don't have to consider them valid when other people are doing the heavy-lifting for you. You just have to wait it out, and you get a nation of your own with contiguous borders.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kajeesus posted:

So your position is that Egypt and Jordan have an obligation to let Palestinians be "resettled," but Israel has no obligation to stop ethnically cleansing them? Why do Egypt and Jordan have to observe human rights if Israel gets to ignore them?

You are the one operating under a human rights narrative, not me. Resettled people are, in practical terms, going to do best when resettled to neighboring states with identical language, religion and culture.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

I agree, Israel should be forcibly moved away from the predominantly Islamic region of the Middle East

Counterpoint: the predominantly Islamic region of the Middle East should be returned to the Arabian peninsula from whence it came.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You know at a certain point when someone says "ethnic cleansing is good" we can just collectively roll our eyes and move on with the discussion, he's either a troll or a massive bigot (or both).

Continuing the Im Tirzu shitstorm the great ginger hope MK Stav Shaffir has publicly called to pass legislation that bans the organization, further cementing the fact that the Israeli labor party is also full of idiots.

Alternatively, when someone uses a word that implies mass murder to actually describe 'resettling landless people', you can assume he is being disingenuous. Also when he uses an insult implying racial hatred to anyone who disagrees with him.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ethnic cleansing implies ethnic cleansing, what you are proposing is ethnic cleansing. Your usage of the term 'landless people' is very 19th century zionist, very good.

I guess you weren't present in this thread the last time I was called a genocide apologist but I actually distinguish between ethnic cleansing and all forms of mass murder and genocide, so you might be barking up the wrong tree.

And I'm sorry but I have little qualms about calling someone who unreservedly calls for ethnic cleansing a racist cause well.. you are?

"If some rear end in a top hat on the internet isn't calling you a racist, then you need to step up your game, homie." - Josef Stalin

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
No, it is pointing out that people who can't hold differing opinions without crying racism are Badpost Makers.

quote:

Ethnic cleansing literally means forced resettlement. Why not resettle the Jewish people back to the US and Europe? You'd call that a huge tragedy, right? Hmm.

No, and it is stupid to try to invent stances for other people. I would have been happy to resettle the Jewish refugees in the US - its not like anyone is doing anything useful with Idaho, for instance. But that isn't how it happened, and they have every right to make a nation called Israel in that location.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Yes. Conflict ended.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

Like, you do get that Egypt and Jordan don't want to accept millions of Palestianians for no reason other than Israel doesn't want them, right?

Of course. Peace and resolution is clearly not the motive behind all these attempts to gently caress with Israel.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

Why not deport the Israelis to Idaho?

In my personal opinion? Probably just because I like Israelis and I like that there is a functional, westernized nation in the Levant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
True, but I feel like North America has less of a need right now.