Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

The entire idea behind liberalism as a political ideology is that individual people have rights, not abstract collections or classifications of people. Ethnic groups do not have the right to an exclusive state, and the idea that they do is about as anti-liberal as it gets

Actually many if not the majority of liberal democracies has such a policy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis . Rights based in part on ethnicity is a pretty common policy world-wide.

I don't think anyone is arguing for an exclusive ethic state, there are many Jewish ethnicities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean that case would probably be 2nd degree in the US; neither premeditated nor committed in the grips of an intense emotional state (said emotional state downgrade it to manslaughter). I'm not familiar at all with Israeli law, but if it doesn't differentiate based on the same criteria, that sounds like it makes sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide_in_Israeli_law

It would appear that you are correct, murder= US first degree murder(premeditated), manslaughter=US second degree (not-premeditated), and negligent killing would basically be the US manslaughter charge. The maximum sentences roughly line up as well.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 31, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

You're wrong, though. There's a massive difference between the expulsion of a minority population by military force, and voluntary emigration to a national home which promises a better social and economic standing, subsidies, and also pays their way. Some Mizrahi migrations were the result of ethnic cleansing, but many more weren't. (Why, it's almost as if lumping together the experiences of the Jewish populations in over 20 different countries over the course of more than four decades is dumb)

Gee I wonder why Jewish persons would be quick to leave a country where it looks like they are about to be targeted. Seriously? "Well they didn't wait to be actually be ethnically cleansed/ murdered, therefor..." Come on, you're probably smarter than this.

The Insect Court posted:

This is an utterly ignorant misrepresentation about the circumstances under which Mizrahi Jews emigrated to Israel. Did you miss the earlier post made about pogroms in Iraq?

A very cursory summary. Suggesting that Mizrahi merely 'voluntarily' chose to leave their home countries is as tendentiously wrong as the far right narrative that Palestinians fleeing in '48 were doing so willingly and at the urging of Arab governments.

It would be like saying any early Jewish refugees from Germany who saw the writing on the wall should have been turned around (in fact many were) because technically it wasn't ethnic cleansing / genocide until year blah blah.

Main Paineframe posted:

People who willingly and voluntarily choose to permanently leave their countries, with no expectation of ever coming back, typically aren't refugees and usually aren't interested in a right of return. Not too many Palestinians fall under that definition, though plenty of Mizrahi do!

By this logic any syrian refugee who wasn't directly targeted isn't technically a refugee. That seems disgusting but maybe I'm wrong? I have to imagine you know drat well why Jewish people left those countries and you are just being intellectually dishonest.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
It's really sad that it turns out very few had a problem with Bush's methods and massive expansion of the executive, they were just mad it wasn't their team wasn't at bat. Call me crazy but it's kinda good the US system is designed to retard rapid changes because while it may suck when you are in power it's very good when a maniac like Trump has the possibility of winning.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Ultramega posted:

I think one of the really fundamental things I've noticed about a lot of the people posting in israel's defense of its horrible crimes, is this default to legalistics. Anyone who is honest will admit to themselves it's not really laws that govern the world and people's actions, it's power and the relative chance they'll be forced to confront that power whatever form it takes. I think there's just something inherently false to when someone is confronted with evidence of say, an israeli atrocity and the first response is "uh well it's technically legal", because one of the very functions of law, and to a lesser extent, civil/criminal laws, is to justify violent responses from law enforcement without the concomitant feeling of remorse and guilt over having killed or injured other people.

Would anyone here who's tried using law or some sort of sacrosanct observance of military law/rules of engagement be as generous with it's applications if they had a family member or a loved one who suffered from state violence? It's absurd on the surface of it; people don't think like "my cousin went to get ice cream for his wife and because he was driving a bit erratically and it was late the idf blew his windshield and most of his face apart but its alright because they felt threatened and were just following the rules of engagement". You can defend israeli actions all you want like that just know that everyone else here thinks you sound like a kid with the D&D player's handbook tearfully trying to explain to their DM how their character actually did survive a trap/fall/combat because just look at this rule here, you're not interpreting it correctly, you need to follow the rules etc.

And people who suffer violence from refugees tend to have a lower opinion of them as a whole I'm not sure your argument says anything interesting or profound.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Miftan posted:

I give them money because I want nothing to do with their ideology? How did that even go down? Is everyone at that hearing completely useless?

Goons apparently really love the idea of punching nazis yet they still support the aclu, which defends punched nazis, so I guess it isn't impossible.

Ultramega posted:

After seeing pictures of david friedman i refuse to believe he is capable of walking more than like 10 paces before he has to sit down so imagining this fat rear end in a top hat visiting the wailing wall/totally legitimate and not in any way facistic settlement in a rascal is pretty funny.

Uh the dudes got some extra weight but isn't even remotely close to what you are talking about?? Also maybe don't fat shame, even when it's people you don't like??

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 17, 2017

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Avshalom posted:

Edit :/

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Hamas changing its charter, elections in Palestine, various scandals and everyday violence in Israel: 0,5 posts a day

Avshalom getting perma'd: 12 immediate responses

This is pretty funny too.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

lollontee posted:

Because they looked like this:

Figure it out.

Looks like something you'd find at many sports stadiums and large amusement parks :shrug:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Ultramega posted:

A quick glance at your probations tells me everything I need to know about how seriously you take the forum rules.

looooooolllllllll

Solemn Sloth posted:

Some Bibi's going to emergency, some Bibi's going to jail

we'll see.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 6, 2017

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

Russia is a depressed capitalist hellhole catering to the whims of an oligarchy among a dead society. That's not fascism, it's late-stage capitalism taken to its logical extreme.

Fascism isn't a catch-all for "bad country".

Haha

lollontee posted:

Ya'll do realise that "most" fascist part of my posts was irrelevant to my argument, right? Israel is a fascist state and that is indeed all that matters. if some other state completely irrelevant to the topic of israeli fascism does something equally bad, it doesn't make israel any less fascist

You can just admit you were dumb and wrong, it's ok!!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

No.

Bombing means dropping bombs from aircraft,

ahahahhahahahahahahahhhahhahahaha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Ultramega posted:

In other news I came across an article in Ha'aretz about how snipers on the gaza "border" are suffering an increased amount of mental trauma which isn't being treated aptly by the army. Which is good because if you serve on the gaza fence you deserve to swallow a loving bullet.

Such anger, yes! Let the hate flow through you, young one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Soon, your journey to conservatism will be complete :xd: