Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

If I were being charitable I would read this as a metaphorical biblical reference and not that they should literally collect foreskins of their enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The IDF has collapsed the tunnels under Alshifa in their retreat.

So i guess well never know if there really was a hamas superbase under there :nallears:

Can you please provide sources when making relatively big claims like this.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress it yall can have this lovely thread im out

Come on, understanding the reasons for an awful thing is not doubling as condoning or excusing the thing.
It's essential for preventing it in the future.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MadSparkle posted:

Prohibited by what? I'm not saying it's right, but please clarify.
When a country with a military that's acknowledged as "legal" takes them in with no charges, they're called *prisoners* but they still have no actual charges or some vague poo poo and they're taken in for years with flimsy excuses, yet it's ok.
You can't apply the same rules to one side than to the other, but I guess you can when it suits you, but there's a massive imbalance there.

This reads like willful bad faith interpretation. At no point did they say that Israel's hostage taking was "okay" or that the rules don't apply to them.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I need to know what those 16% of people think that Biden is doing that favours Palestinians too much.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Kalit posted:

\
Unfortunate, but unsurprising

loving Biden. Yeah wow, of course, the absolute worst part of what is going on right now is that it might affect the world's public opinion of Israel.
That's the real concern here.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

The Canadian BDS list includes the Canada Pension Plan which might be a bit tricky to boycott.

I assume the intention in these cases is to write in protest or something instead.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I also don't give a gently caress if the number of deaths is inflated or not. That has little to do with it being a genocide. Israel has factually done plenty of awful things with numerous statements in support of genocide by their leadership. Quibbling over specific number of civilians killed by them as if the number was low enough it would change anything is pure distraction done by genocide apologists.

It's good to have accurate numbers for certain purposes but it is completely irrelevant to the larger picture here.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Well as long as they're using the same definition for both counts I don't think it really matters. The same relatively low count seems to be presented for Vietnam also.
Or you can compare to the still-ongoing Russia-Ukraine war (17).

However you count and compare the end result seems to be a much higher rate of media deaths than anything else I've found referenced.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Stringent posted:

I think the technical term for this is, "covering your rear end". My personal view is that the two carrier groups should have been employed to enforce a no fly zone over Gaza from the first day they were on station.

A "no-fly zone" implies that US jets would have to be willing to shoot down Israeli jets.

That is obviously insane.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

So they're not denying anything, just going with they're allowed to do anything they want because Hamas also did bad things.

That's some kind of strategy.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Israel just desecrating Palestinian burial grounds now for some reason. Possibly to stop those dead returning to fight in the Skeleton War, would be about as logical as any other Israeli justification

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1747175354999972134?t=ibzujqOTRySPYyb74r2h8A&s=19

I would have guessed something like preventing observers from finding out how they died but they were already buried so that doesn't make much sense.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Provincial level Canadian politician made some 'interesting' comments in a discussion hosted by B'nai Brith

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/02/01/bc-selina-robinson-israel-comments/amp/

quote:

In a panel discussion hosted by Jewish organization B’nai Brith on Tuesday, Robinson claimed that before Israel was settled by the modern population it was just a “crappy piece of land with nothing on it.”

“There were, you know, several hundred thousand people but other than that, it didn’t produce an economy,” she said. “It couldn’t grow things. It didn’t have anything on it.”

Our governments are full of the absolute worst people. Full-bore Zionists who completely support the genocide. Classic colonialist narratives to justify the worst crimes imaginable.
She has previously spouted the well-worn opinion that really the suffering of Palestinian civilians is Egypt's fault because they won't open their borders to the innocent civilians. So really, Israel has no choice but to keep bombing them since they won't leave.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1759779892634202420

Well this seems bad but not unexpected at this stage unfortunately

Credible fools in the replies immediately jumping on Israel's propaganda that actually it was Hamas trying to steal all the aid!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Something that popped up for me this morning although it's a few days old.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjevvyw3z38o

quote:

A university has said it will "not tolerate" any form of discrimination after what it described as antisemitic graffiti was found painted on a campus building.

Two messages were daubed onto the Lasdun Wall walkway at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich.

A spokesperson said the graffiti would be removed and said it was working with the police to identify those responsible.

The 2 messages are:

"Judaism opposes Zionism"
"Zionism = Colonialism"

The media and academia are furthering the conflation of jews, Israel, and Zionism. No one in their right mind could consider these messages antisemitic.
Shameful to do Israel's work for them.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

The results in that polling are completely insane.

Trump had 57% approval retrospectively.
The 3 highest net favourables are Trump, RFK Jr, and Elon Musk. Jesus christ.

Netanyahu has higher net favourable than AOC?

This is truly a country in a rapid decline.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Neurolimal posted:

Returning to the subject of Oct 7 sexual violence, The Intercept's put out a new article and...It's a bit of a doozy.

"BETWEEN THE HAMMER AND THE ANVIL" The Story Behind the New York Times October 7 Exposé

Essentially, the article orbits around Israeli interviews with Anat Schwartz; Discrediting the Exposé would be the optimistic take, she basically lays out the framework for an entirely opposite Exposé arguing against the existence of systemic sexual violence on October 7th. Not intentionally of course, rather that having no serious Journalism training means Anat doesn't realize how bad this looks for both her and the New York Times.

The case against:

What she/Gettleman decided to actually base the article on:

I'm aware of the goofy memes about Israel being a haven for sex offenders, but I'm sure Israel has rape kits, right? And they wouldn't have those if the burial rites for nearly the entirety of their state didn't give them enough time to be used, right? I seriously hope we're not talking about a country that does not investigate post-mortem rape.

The coordinated effort to create this article:

It's positively insane, she lays this journey out like some sort of triumph of dogged determination & savvy investigation, unaware that it looks incredibly bad. We should honestly be grateful that Gettleman decided to help out some family friends, because if any actually professional investigative journalist had been on this thing, we absolutely wouldn't have first-hand testimony on how terrible the article is, and on the NYT's drive to make the article.

Wow, this is a lot.

In response to the latest propagandist in here. Trying to lay out a gotcha in here with the request of proof of Israeli genocide is quite hilarious in light of the dozens of quotes from Israeli government figures in favour of genocide. Like did you even read the South Africa ICJ case?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Listen folks, we're all looking for the guys supplying these weapons.
In the meantime we're dropping in all the supplies we can as our dearest ally says that they'll explode our aid trucks.

Who are we to tell them what to do.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Yeah, that was the part that REALLY made me pissed.

Unfortunately this person could probably gently caress with my career if I pissed them off. Too many mutual friends and colleagues. But I really want to have an actual honest discussion with them that I know won’t happen.

With half of their nonsense being reduced to Dune analogies it's already in a bad place. It's a rhetorical trick to replace a real happening event with a fictional one so that one can borrow moral analysis from the fiction even if it absolutely doesn't apply.

This piece is full of Zionist supremacy talking points so I don't really know how to attack it, but good on you if you try I suppose. These talking points about Palestinians being "invented" are disgusting and is intended to delegitimize them as a people. All identities are invented and are real only insofar as other people accept that identity. The same applies to states, corporations, and any of the other myriad imaginary things that humans have created.
Israel is not a colonizer because its people have no connection to the land, it's a colonizer because its people arrived, eventually did the Nakba, and continued to drive Palestinians out of their homes, building their own settlements that are internationally recognized as illegal. And then the current apartheid situation.

Honestly, it's all just a load of meaningless bollocks because the current situation is that Israel is war-criming and genociding every single day and there is no justification for it. I want to know what the hell this person is reading and hearing in headlines and radio in New England that's making them mad because it's all very pro-Israel.
Sounds like they're just upset about hearing about Israel's atrocities and would rather be ignorant.

Given their comments about Palestinian identity, I suspect this person is a Nakba denialist, at least in some form. If so, I don't know how you actually have a discussion with such a person.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

You could fairly argue that the over-arching decades-long conflict is "complicated".

But the situation as it is right now is not complicated at all. One side is mass-murdering civilians directly with weapons and indirectly with starvation, poor quality water, and forced movement.
Opining about overall solutions, whether one-state or two-state is like holding discussions about how to improve morale at the factory when it's currently on fire. And it's management that set it on fire. And they're currently firing hoses of gasoline all over it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

What are people's thoughts on this?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/injunction-montreal-protest-real-estate-1.7135106

quote:

A Quebec court has temporarily prohibited protests near several Jewish institutions in Montreal's Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce borough following back-to-back demonstrations outside community buildings in recent days.

According to an injunction granted Tuesday, protests are banned within 50 metres of the Federation CJA building and the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, which requested the injunction.

The order also applies to the Cummings Centre, the Sylvan Adams YM-YWHA, Herzliah High School and United Talmud Torahs of Montreal Inc.

The injunction is valid for the next 10 days. It was served to several groups:

Independent Jewish Voices.
Montreal4Palestine.
Palestinian Youth Movement Montreal.
Alliance4Palestine.

It seems there was a protest at the synagogue because there was a real estate event there allegedly promoting property in the West Bank. Then there was a follow-up protest at CJA, presumably because of them being Zionist and having connections to Hillel.
No idea why those other places are included in the injunction.

Usual backlash that protesting near a synagogue is awful, despite the fact that they weren't protesting it for religious reasons.
I dunno, there's no proper way to protest I guess.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

There were posts in this thread about Israelis bringing their kids to protest and block aid trucks.

Bringing in ships and simply going around that nonsense seems like a path that is far more likely to be successful than trying to get through protestors in the ground and an Israeli government that agrees with those protestors, and is actually an option that could bring in significant amounts of aid, unlike air drops which are a feel good measure.

A ship can carry *far* more than a plane can.

We'll see.

I mean, I would suggest cutting off all aid to Israel until they drop the blockade and stop genociding would be a pretty successful path also.
But they could do both.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Well you can see his own contradictory phrasing.

quote:

“It is a red line, but I am never going to leave Israel. The defence of Israel is still critical, so there’s no red line [where] I’m going to cut off all weapons so they don’t have the Iron Dome to protect them,” Biden said

quote:

“But there’s red lines that if he crosses them…”, Biden said without finishing his chain of thought, adding that his administration “cannot have 30,000 more Palestinians dead”.

He didn't finish his sentence because I don't think he has anything to finish it with. Netanyahu can rightly ignore any of this blustering because Biden isn't willing to back it up with even a verbal description of consequences.
Can't have 30,000 more Palestinians murdered but the first 30,000 were a-ok. It's a pathetic display.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

rscott posted:

Since there's been a lot of talk about how Hamas and how this is all their fault I guess we can check in and see how the West Bank is doing, turns out it's not very good!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/03/11/israel-gaza-west-bank-economy/

And this is a good example of what is being referred to when we talk about how Israel created Hamas and other militant opposition.
Like, what do you expect people to do when you remove all possibility of making a living in the 'proper' way? Hamas and others are among the few recipients of dollars actually flowing into Palestine and are the ones trying to fight back against Israel so it's pretty logical that the more you oppress civilians and limit their options, the more they're going to give up and join these groups.

This is what you do when you want to be able to accuse everyone of being Hamas and make the claim that there are no civilian casualties because they're all terrorists.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Argas posted:

They could just say boncentration bamps and Biden would believe it.

They're not concentration camps obviously, they're just humanitarian villages where we will densify the Palestinian population.

Very different.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Kalit posted:

Did you not read the post I was responding to? It’s literally what was being claimed….

You just quoted something that does not say what you claim it says, impressive for one sentence.

That quote says the "genocide continues" because of Biden.
It makes no claim about how it started, how long it has been going, or who else could have stopped it before now. It also doesn't say that Biden is the "sole" reason.

I don't even fully agree with that claim but your twisting of that sentence to form something you can argue against is ridiculous.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-welcomes-gaza-ceasefire-vote-at-united-nations-security-council-joly-1.6821412

Canada continues to link the ceasefire to Hamas laying down their arms. Hamas is not explicitly named in the resolution but the resolution does mention releasing all hostages.

One wonders whether all the Palestinians that Israel holds are considered hostages or not since they use a quasi-judicial cover story for that.

Canada's foreign policy continues to suck rear end.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

teen witch posted:

Apologies if it’s semi off topic but name a greater love story than Germany and learning lessons from history, but apparently the wrong ones.

Police shut down pro-Palestinian gathering in Germany over hate speech fears

On a related note

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/12/europe/israeli-holocaust-germany-payout-october-7-intl/index.html

quote:

Germany will provide a one-time payment of $236 (€220) to Holocaust survivors, to help them cope with the impacts of the Hamas-led October 7 attacks in southern Israel.

Berlin will compensate 113,000 Holocaust survivors in Israel in the form of $27 million (€25 million), according to the German finance ministry.

“Many Holocaust survivors were hit particularly hard by the Hamas attacks, whether through the loss of their homes, support systems in the form of care,” a German finance ministry spokeswoman said.

The additional funds were aimed at helping the Holocaust survivors ”as quickly as possible (…) in this frightening and hopeless war situation,” the spokeswoman added.

This is just a random cash handout out of guilt. I'm doubtful that most of the recipients were impacted in any financial way by the attacks.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

Targets can be things, and targets can be people. When a warplane bombs an ammunition factory for example, the building itself is the target. The destruction of the building is the goal. When a warplane wants to kill some high ranking military officials unless they are out in the open then they are going to be in a building which is what gets bombed. In both cases a building was destroyed, but in the latter example the goal was to kill the enemy military officials.

It's pretty obvious what Israel's actual goal was to bomb the consulate since they could have done it whenever but did it when some Quds force officials were there. Unless you think Israel just wants to bomb diplomatic buildings now just because they are owned by an enemy state.

Are you purposefully being a moron?

One does not have the right to bomb any building full of civilians because there is 1 person inside that is a legitimate target. Like there's been excessive discussion about this regarding the repeated hospital attacks in Gaza.

You seem to be hyper-focused on the word 'target' instead of taking in the bigger picture of what happened. Fixating on semantics that make no difference to the actual event is a bizarre hill to die on and is extremely suspicious behaviour.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Joshua Landis' take on the Iran attack is that it was an own goal that took the focus off Gaza, sealed the breach between Biden and Bibi, and made Iran look weak. Interesting hearing him say that as he's usually highly critical of the U.S. and Israel.

One thing I was wondering about is how many ballistic missiles they actually fired, how many of them were duds, and what percentage were those of the total number of missiles Iran has with the range to reach Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLK2TNyNhc

This is not a take I would expect.
I'm not an academic but surely Iran would look weaker if they did nothing, letting Israel completely get away with assassinating their people? To my eyes they made a response that was carefully planned to minimize casualties and cost while still making their position known.

Worrying about "sealing the breach" is laughable. There is no breach except the BS that Biden's PR throws out every now and then to try and placate the base.

This makes no sense to me.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1781736713720565847

I do not believe this would be occurring if ProPublica hadn’t released their report that Blinken had been sitting on reports from people in the State Department of documented instances of rape and murder committed by Israeli military units going back even before 10/7.

Does sanctioning a particular battalion not imply that the IDF has lost control of that battalion? I know it's some politicking bs, but responsibility in the military goes directly to the top. If some unit has done some poo poo dire enough to be sanctioned you should be sanctioning all the way up. Units are not independent.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1783520372001825139

The media keeps letting this poo poo stain speak without pushback.

Very strong irony of a group labeled "Anti-Defamation" making incredibly defamatory remarks about JVP and other groups.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

Basically all of the media in the US is calling the campus protests anti semitic. So my question is, what evidence do they have of this because I'm not seeing it? Are they simply calling it anti semitic because the protests are pro Palestinian? Is anyone chanting pro Hamas slogans? I mean the crowds are pretty big so I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least a few actual anti semites but I'm guessing these protests by and large are anti genocide and not anti semitic but of course the media is doing a horrible job of actually representing what they are.

I haven't looked into it too much but I do follow a few people who are definitely of the opinion that the campus protests are widely anti-semitic. I'm going to post examples not as an argument for that perspective but just as a sampling of what they're using to draw that conclusion.
There's also a lot of pointless whataboutism regarding the privilege of students being able to camp out, Syria, and who knows what else.

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-798915

He's written a lot also but it's a bit too much to repost here. I will end with a quote that has been reposted or referenced multiple times.

quote:

"FREE PALESTINE" is an Islamic conquest movement.

So yeah.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

The Israelis will take every chance to smugly declare that X thing is not genocide so it's good to at least be aware of the technicalities.

Of course this does mean that their moral fallback is that it's "just" ethnic cleansing, war crimes, and atrocities against civilians.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

For what theoretical reason would Hamas attack the pier? Is it supposed to be the thing about them stealing supplies again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

skipmyseashells posted:

the whole post is stupid but this part makes my head spin. This is like saying Jews shouldn’t have fought the Warsaw uprising because they might have been fed longer, and anyone cheering it on believes in the protocols of the elders book too

My reason for being skeptical of a Hamas attack on the pier is that I see no strategic benefit to it. America is obviously an enemy and deservedly hated, but what purpose would it serve to attack them? It won't do anything to stop the Israeli oppression, it won't do anything to stop the weapons flowing, it will damage their popularity with the American population (debatable how much that matters), and it will reduce some amount of aid coming in.
The benefits are...feeling good about a principled attack on enemies? A demonstration of sovereignty on their land, which isn't nothing.

I wouldn't be necessarily be shocked if they attacked but it would be quite surprising.

I guess it depends on what actually ends up happening in terms of security around the pier. If it's IDF forces, well, that's just another target yeah. We'll see.