Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
What in god's name is going on here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

South Africa, India, the 1989 revolutions, the color revolutions that followed. Portugal, The Philippines. The defeat of the Soviet coup in 91. End of the Syrian occupation of Lebanon. Overthrow of the South Korean Junta. End of one party rule in Taiwan.

There’s a pretty big body of research that says nonviolent resistance is about twice as effective.

indian independence was accompanied by the largest ethnic cleansing campaign in history. There was plenty of violence, it just wasn't directed at the colonial administration but against neighbors.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also a large part of the nonviolent parts of indian independence included striking, disobeying tax laws and boycotting goods - the latter of which have been tried against israel and have had loyalty pledges mandated by US state legislatures.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

PT6A posted:

I'd also add that there's an obvious vested interested on the part of the oppressors to claim that it was totally the non-violent parts of the resistance, exclusively, that accomplished the desired goal. Also, probably an interest on the parts of the non-violent elements of the resistance to claim that they alone were responsible and violence accomplished nothing.

At the same time, you see a figure like Mandela, who was imprisoned, and refused to denounce violence as a condition of a potential release -- and yet, is considered one of the great peacemakers of our time (correctly, in my opinion). He spoke about the need to find peaceful solutions, and certainly assumed a position where he was willing to forgive and facilitate forgiveness, and yet at the cost of his own freedom he did not categorically denounce violence. This makes him, in my mind, a far stronger figure, a superior moral philosopher, and a better person than Gandhi or MLK Jr.

I mean in the case of gandhi his negotiations with the raj was always undercut by "I won't do anything but more violent revolutionaries might."

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I don't think that North Korea has minefields with either the PRC or Russia.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

piL posted:

Im not trying to support any argument, just dipping in to clarify this listed point that came up. According to Human Rights Watch, there are unconfirmed reports of such.

Distinguishing fact from fiction about matters between DPRK and PRC seems like a nearly impossible task, so for now they're just reports

yeah unconfirmed. At the same time there's enough people regularly working in the PRC or Russia for work that the NIS regularly honeypots korean immigrant labor into going through china and to Seoul for tabloid headlines.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The country is busy stealing land and resources from it's neighbors via quasi-state and State actors. Garnishing pensions for a quick burst of forex seems quaint in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the law is so complicated when it comes to consulates. Its so simple when it comes to starving palestinians (its khamas' fault)