Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

small butter posted:

As much as people say that Biden is guilty of genocide, it's pretty clear that there was nothing short of military intervention that Biden could have done to prevent a brutal invasion of Gaza. Knowing some of these details, there is no way that Israel would have done anything short of this. Yeah, yeah, stop selling them then weapons, but they have enough weapons to do this invasion twice over.

There must be a reason they want even more weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Kchama posted:

This doesn't really make any sense as a "they have the right to do this". Yeah, they failed, but okay? I mean, so if they had killed all the Hamas sneaking in, you'd have no complaint?

I think that makes sense? They have a right to kill the invaders of their country, but not to commit genocide of the people those invaders belong to?

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I don’t want to be a conspiracy theorist but if Israel really wanted to prevent something like this from happening they’d have done about 1000 things differently. October 7 gave Netanyahu an excuse to act and the grabbed it with both hands and then some.

Aside from the disproportional nature of the counter-offence, the fact that in 2023 over 200 Palestinians were killed *before* October 7 also weakens even that argument.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 18, 2024

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Staluigi posted:

Gonna say here that this assumes way, way, way too much competence on the part of israel and especially likud. The attacks were entirely representative of security, policy and leadership failures of the israeli government, which are extra horrifying because they mix in with israel's other spectacular issues, like how their cruel lovely policies to the Palestinians set them up for this and that they have no loving clue how to respond to it without going overtly genocidal and smashing through gaza and again converting their society to nationalist race purifiers

I’m sure there is incompetence, but reading that they received the attack plans a full year before the attack happened and ignored them even when Hamas started conducting training drills as described in those same attack plans combined with the fact Israel gave as an excuse for being unprepared that they didn’t think Hamas the capabilities even though Israel has been funding Hamas for years makes me think there is some wilful incompetence going on.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Grip it and rip it posted:

What an absolutely pointless and useless metric to use. "Better than the IDF" describes a massive portion of humanity, and does little to distinguish whether a group is responsible for illegal or reprehensible activity.

I'd say it's a pretty relevant metric when one of the few other sources of first-hand information is the IDF.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
"We've investigated ourselves and found we did nothing wrong."

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

go play outside Skyler posted:

My national, tax-financed news did the exact same loving thing and it drives me crazy. Why the gently caress is it so hard to say Israel tanks killed 9 people?

HazCat posted:

It's almost like Western media is biased.

The article actually states why:

quote:

U.N. officials did not say explicitly who had fired on the shelter, but said it was hit by tank rounds; only Israel uses tanks in the conflict. The Israeli Defense Force later said it was looking into the possibility that Hamas had hit the building.

“After an examination of our operational systems, the I.D.F. has currently ruled out that this incident is a result of an aerial or artillery strike by the I.D.F.” the military said in a statement. “A thorough review of the operations of the forces in the vicinity is underway.”
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01/24/world/israel-hamas-gaza-news

Yes, we all know it as Israel, the NY Times also knows it was Israel, but until there is explicit confirmation from a source, they should not put that in the headline. Western media is, of course, biased, but there are also good journalistic reasons sometimes.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

I know a lot of people were expecting the court to rule differently, but countries secretly love this poo poo even if/when they publicly oppose the court’s decision.

It allows them to use the court as a scapegoat, and when said countries choose to comply with it they can just say it’s out of their hands, how can they ignore a court’s decision? Not saying the latter part will happen here too (especially re: the US), but it’s definitely something that is used to do something they secretly want to do but cannot really come out and say because of their voters or something.

E.g., many European politicians were ‘happy’ when their country was convicted for failing to provide minimum standard living conditions and mental health access for mentally insane individuals who had committed serious crimes. That is not a strong campaign point to run on especially in times of inflation, but if a court forces them, that gives them a way out.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Kalit posted:

I mean, I guess it's kind of weird that Mansour is implying that the ICJ did find Israel guilty of committing genocide when they explicitly didn't make a ruling on that aspect.

Where do you get this from?

The ICJ did order Israel to take all measures within its power to prevent acts of genocide. Considering this is against Gaza, that is historic.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Marenghi posted:

Same. There seems to be more news updates there. Where this thread always seems to devolve into pointless debates like whether members of an armed force actively participating in a genocide are morally culpable.

I also wonder why a thread in Debate & Discussion has actual debate and discussions.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it's really a perfect example of all of it being completely arbitrary bullshit that is selectively enforced based on whether or not you're in the good graces of the "rules based international order".

This is any legal system pretty much, and it’s the best we have.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

apatheticman posted:

Pretending international law isn't just a post-hoc justification for those who have the military power to get their way is a fine way to carry on an internet debate, but it's by no means a reflection of reality.

What is the alternative?

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

apatheticman posted:

Realizing we're just doing imperialism with more steps?

Of course, and I agree that calling out the hypocrisy is good, but making GBS threads on the system itself like there is a viable alternative is also by no means a reflection of reality, and, to be honest, pretty tiring.

Also, are any officials actually calling to use international law to justify actions against Iran for their counter-attack?

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

quote:

Israeli Officials Believe I.C.C. Is Preparing Arrest Warrants Over War

Israeli and foreign officials say it appears the International Criminal Court is preparing to move against top Israeli and Hamas officials. The prosecutors’ office of the court declined to comment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/28/world/middleeast/icc-arrest-warrants-israel-hamas.html

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Giggs posted:

So, when I call the pier a performative act, it is due to the blatantly inadequate nature of its theoretical throughput.

The error makes a pretty big difference in the whole calculation, 150 trucks per day at 20 tons per truck would be about 6.6 million pounds, which would be more than is required per the calculation.

Also, considering the obesity rate in any Western country I don't know if the average diet of "Westerners" is a meaningful metric to calculate how much food is required to be well-nourished, not to mention that there's a pretty significant difference between 3 and 5 pounds of food.

I get the rationale behind the calculation and I am also not hopeful the pier will get in as much food as some people are saying it will, but it is a whole lot of words and numbers to say nothing meaningful even if the numbers used were correct.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Vorenus posted:

Also here's a journalist actually challenging an Israeli govt spokesperson:
https://twitter.com/SMohyeddin/status/1784208344346919015

It’s pretty hard to watch, the answers he gives is literally how you dehumanise and detach yourself from victims of a war, even from the hostages they killed.

Casualties are just mere mistakes that require regrouping and brainstorming on how to fine tune the process. It’s a business.