Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with boycotts of Israel not because "the europeans are boycotting jewish businesses" but because "the europeans are boycotting jewish businesses again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lol AIPAC is working to make boycotting Israel a Federal felony in the us, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. The bill has bipartisan support including from big names like Chuck Schumer

If you believe that's ever going to happen I've got a bridge to sell you.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
What is the big deal about putting metal detectors at the entrance to the mosque anyway?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There will not be a happy ending for the palestinians before they disarm and commit to giving up violence.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The world happily "tolerates" many ethno-states.

Why should the one Jewish state be singled out for condemnation and elimination?

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 24, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

lollontee posted:

hakimashou hosed around with this message at Jul 25, 2017 around 00:35

:thunk:

edit: what an interasting edit you made there really. It's like you came dangerously close to realising that Israel is indeed not being treated unfairly, and then your superego made a quick adjustment to your internal selection of words, before any permanent damage to your own view of the world occurred.

I thought the edited version brought the point home better and put it in its proper historical context.

There are many 'ethno states' such as China or Japan or the First Nations or American Indians in North America.

Many people would like to a see a Kurdistan for the Kurds for example.

But when we get to the one Jewish state... no right to exist!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

qkkl posted:

I'm wondering what Palestinians think their end game is? Another war down the line that Israel loses? I know from watching some imam sermons that there is a belief that Allah will cause Islam's enemies to be greatly weakened by natural disasters or other outside phenomenon. Barring losing a war, Israel is just going to continue to squeeze the Palestinians by building settlements and cutting down on services for Palestinians to lower their birth rate, until Jews make up 80%+ of the Israel+West Bank population and the area effectively becomes a Jewish ethno-state.

Nobody knows really. The Arabs lost their wars with Israel, it's settled whether people want to admit it or not. Israel has a nuclear deterrent and the most powerful friends any country could have. The Jewish state will continue to exist and unless people are willing to accept and make peace with that then they will not have a good time of it.

If well-intentioned people want to make a difference then they are barking up the wrong tree with Israel. There are millions of lives to be saved from starvation, malnutrition and preventable disease all over the developing world. What makes Israel different from all these other worthy causes in terms of the furious hatred and frenzy it provokes in Europeans and some Americans will probably always remain a mystery.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 25, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Disinterested posted:

They've offered everything short of an unconditional surrender.

They have decided they may as well just wait and see.

Nasty wars have to end in unconditional surrender or they just drag on forever.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Agnosticnixie posted:

If you were Palestinian you would hopefully not be this much of a psycho

If he was that much of a psycho and also a Palestinian he might do something really psycho which would set back the cause of the Palestinians like... murder strangers in the street with a knife, or set a bomb off in a crowded cafe, or run people over deliberately with a car.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
God bless you and keep you avshalom

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There's an article in the times about music and backgammon events for israelis and palestinians to come together.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/09/world/middleeast/jerusalem-palestinians-arts.html

quote:

“I stopped hoping for a peace agreement,” Mr. Spinoza said in an interview, “so I do it my own way — I live the peace.” Of the more traditional methods of fostering coexistence in the city, he added: “Dialogue groups are not the best fun. This is fun.”

Mr. Spinoza often hosts Palestinian rappers like the duo Muzi Raps, from the Old City, and Raed Bassem Jabid, from the Palestinian neighborhood of At-Tur on the Mount of Olives. “If you’re looking for peace,” Mr. Jabid said, “you’ll find the peace.”

Even in peacetime, though, attempts to escape politics can be viewed as political. Many Palestinians, for instance, reject what they call cultural normalization with the Israelis.

What is "cultural normalization with the Israelis?"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Does HAMAS give people due process before executing them?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It looks like HAMAS and Fatah are ending their long feud.

Hopefully this means HAMAS will become more like Fatah and not the other way around.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Some town in Texas is trying to make hurricane relief funds contingent on not boycotting Israel.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/20/559070267/need-hurricane-aid-in-one-texas-city-if-you-boycott-israel-you-may-be-out-of-luc

quote:

Hurricane Harvey's floodwaters damaged many homes in the Texas city of Dickinson, and residents are applying for assistance and working to repair their properties.

But Dickinson's application for repair grants is raising eyebrows. Alongside standard items such as project descriptions and grant amounts, the city application reads:

"By executing this Agreement below, the Applicant verifies that the Applicant: (1) does not boycott Israel; and (2) will not boycott Israel during the term of this agreement."

In doing so, the application appears to make eligibility for hurricane relief funds contingent on political beliefs regarding Israel, which the American Civil Liberties Union describes as unconstitutional.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Someone ran over people in New York with a truck yesterday, I don't think the US is going to side with the 'islamist terrorism' side of the israel-palestine conflict any time soon.

The Palestinians' one only hope is to renounce violence and terrorism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ytlaya posted:

Why doesn't it count as terrorism when Israel kills civilians?

Like, you might want to seriously think about why you automatically view Palestinian violence as aggressive and Israeli violence as defensive. Even if you ignore the vast difference in magnitude, there's no real logical reason for the dramatic difference in attitude.

I mean, the snarky (and probably at least partly true) answer is "racism," but I think that people also have a tendency to inherently view violence committed by an organized military less negatively than violence committed by civilians (which is kind of ironic, because you'd imagine it would be the opposite).

I expect one common way of thinking about it is that terror attacks aim to kill as many civilians as possible, while military attacks aim to avoid civilian casualties. Of course there are counter-examples like strategic bombing in ww2.

At the end of the day though, people have to make decisions based on things really are, and its unlikely that attitudes in America toward HAMAS/Al qaeda/ISIS style terrorism is going to change any time soon.

Lots of people in here seem to agree that the key to things ever getting better for Palestinians is the US changing its policy. I don't think terrorism will make the US more likely to change its policy. If anything, being the victim of similar kinds of terrorist attacks draws Israel and the US closer together and reinforces the idea that we are on the same side fighting a common foe on different front. I am sure Israel goes out of its way to promote this notion.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ze Pollack posted:

what does the US gain from Israel, hakimashou

and how much do we pay them for it

Many Americans feel good that we are supporting the one and only Jewish state in the world, especially after what the Europeans did to the Jews in the 20th century. Some Americans believe we have a religious obligation to support Israel. I don't know enough about national security to quantify the exact benefits we obtain from having Israel be what it is where it is.

I don't know how much it costs, but the US has more money than any other country, so it's not that much of an issue either way.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, I'll just wait for Trump and/or his replacement to ruin the US's international clout, forcing Israel to start listening to Europe which is much more BDS-friendly.

I don't think Israel will ever listen to Europe and I don't blame them one bit for it after what happened.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You still think the Israeli government genuinely cares about the holocaust. Cute.

Yeah I think they do.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DarkCrawler posted:

It is commendable that people here think that you can reason factually with someone who supports apartheid and literal colonialism in the year 2017. It really shows the degree of faith others still have in the human mind and capacity of improvement, but that is just too far gone for me. As an European whose country loathes the immoral poo poo state that is Israel I obviously am less frustrated with the ongoing situation then an American would be, granted.

Honestly, any time you debate and you aren't asking why these people think that racial and/or religious segregation and settler colonialism is alright is a waste. All you do is get drawn into the usual bullshit semantics and whataboutism.

Israel falls when America's support for it falls and everyone else, who already literally hate Israel as much as North Korea or Iran, starve it out with sanctions and force it to reform into a democracy and give full and equal national rights to non-Jewish residents and colonial subjects. Thanks to America allowing them to pretend they are part of the West, enabling many Israelis to become accustomated to 1st world lifestyles, I have some faith that process will not be very long (at least in comparison to the one preceding it).

The Palestinian State, thanks to decades and decades of continual expansion by the Jewish State, is dead and unviable, geographically, demographically and politically. Due to those same reasons, the Jewish State is dying as well, and will be dead after US pulls its support. The future existence of either is just a fantasy by those who don't see the writing on the wall.

There's going to be at least another 30-50 years of horrific poo poo happening before we end up with a binational state that is going to have a good few decades of further trouble, so you know I am not happy about any of this, but it has become a reality that I've accepted. I get that it is not as easy for others here to accept, whether you are a believer in equal rights and Palestinian statehood or one of the resident Jewish supremacists. I get that it is impossible to most of the people in the region itself to accept as well for a long, long time.

But what else is there? Nobody in Israel or its colony is packing up and leaving and it isn't really viable to force them to leave. Nobody else in the world than USA gives a poo poo about Israel or actively hates them and USA will not support them to the end of time, if only because it's own demographic and cultural transition. Nothing lasts forever.

Though I would be very interested in how others see the future unfolding, even though I am pretty well convinced that this is the only realistic scenario.

Unless American attitudes toward Islamist terrorism change, the status quo with American support for Israel is not going to change. It's possible that American attitudes toward the middle east could change the way American attitudes toward Japan and Germany did, but I don't know how likely that is. There would probably have to be big material changes first, on par with how we conquered Japan and Germany. I don't think it's going to happen.

Alternatively, a generation or more of nonviolent Palestinians might be able to break the strong perceptual link between their cause and terrorist attacks in the US and Europe, maybe.

Anyway aside from that there isn't going to be a magical day where the USA stops supporting Israel. I'm not sure that the consequences of the US not supporting Israel would be as good for the Palestinians as you imagine, either. An Israel surrounded and cornered without friends could be very dangerous for its enemies, since they do mean "never again" when they say it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ytlaya posted:

Christ, stop trying to pretend you care about Jewish people. It's obvious you're just trying to use it as some sort of rhetorical bludgeon. I can assure you that Israel and their actions do no favors for the Jewish diaspora and that having Jewish ancestry doesn't randomly give you more of an excuse to commit atrocities out of a misguided sense of self-preservation.

Even accepting your bizarre "literal might = right" logic, attitudes would never change in a positive way if everyone was like you and spent all their effort defending the status quo using an is-ought fallacy*. The hakimashou in 1820s America would be arguing against abolitionists about how it obviously isn't feasible to end slavery.

*Just in case you weren't aware, there's actually a term ("is-ought fallacy") for the specific type of bad logic you're using here. It means that you're confusing "the way things are" with "the way things should be."

I'm not pretending I care about Jewish people, I really do care.

I don't believe that Israel causes anti-semitism, or that anti-semitism has gotten worse since the formation of Israel. Anti-semitism is much weaker now than it was before Israel.

I don't believe that just winning a war should should always give one group of people the right to displace another, but that is how pretty much all the land in the world got divvied up at one point or another. It's certainly how the US and Britain came to be.

The world probably should stop it from happening anymore, but I don't think it's right to draw the line right before the Jews got Israel. "It was alright for us to do this, but not for you" doesn't seem appropriate in this case. If anything, the west has a special obligation to the wellbeing of the Jews, as a way of making up for all the horror inflicted on them. It would be more appropriate in the case of Israel to say that we are making a special exception in their favor, that they can do this but it ends there and we won't permit it again.

All this isn't to say that I have anything against Arabs. I would be thrilled if we spent as much money as we do on Israel, or even much more money, helping resettle the Palestinians and giving them a good life somewhere else. I'd be very happy if the US welcomed them all here in fact, and would enthusiastically support someone in an election if that was a plank of his or her platform. Immigrants make America great.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nebalebadingdong posted:

You're just another coward who tries to hide their support of ethnic cleansing behind a proposal they know they don't have to support in any meaningful way

Well if someone ran with that as a plank of their platform I'd have to support them by donating some money and voting. I dunno how much more "meaningful" support can be than that.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

starkebn posted:

I'm naive, but I don't really see why "the Jews" needed to move anywhere, let alone have their own state.

The holocaust and the centuries and centuries of brutality leading up to it were a big factor I think.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they should have sent a

they DID send a poet :eyepop:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dead Reckoning posted:

Or behind, those launchers have a large back-blast area.

It's always been an absurd fantasy that borders created by military force are illegitimate. I would say the majority of modern borders were either drawn with the point of a sword, or imposed by colonizers. If nothing else, it's ridiculous to assert that land seized before some arbitrary date is legitimate, but afterwards is illegitimate.

And its especially egregious to choose to arbitrarily draw that line to deliberately cut out the Jews, after the holocaust and the centuries and centuries of european brutality that lead up to it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The permanent security council members have a veto in the UN because they have a veto in reality. The UN wouldn't work anymore if it pretended it was some other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I think with trump gone netanyahu will lose too