Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Honest question: What does the USA get out of giving money to Israel?

Like, there's got to be a reason billions are going to fund weapons for genocide instead of being used for healthcare for citizens and I'd like to know why.

Campaign donations and PACs.

The politician would like to spend your tax dollars on themselves, but they cannot. To get access to your money they first have to give it to Israel, or Saudi Arabia is good at this too, who then reinvests a portion of that money into lobbyists, your local arms dealers, or citizen groups or whatever, who then give you the donation/PAC money you wanted. It's the same reason Americans don't get to have proper healthcare or real banking regulations or sane environmental policy.

You would be better off giving every politician a $5,000,000 per year salary than how the system funds itself now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

I think their point is this:

1. Abraham is originally from the city of Ur.
2. Abraham is the father of the Jewish faith.
3. Therefore Jewish people should feel comfortable moving to ::checks notes:: el-Muqayyar, in Iraq, and evicting the Iraqis who are living there, who don't count, unless they were also from Ur originally.
4. I suppose the Levant goes back to Canaanites who were there originally?

Makes about as much sense as any other Biblical distribution of land.

Edit: That is clearly not their point but 100% the same logic.

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 13, 2024

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Paladinus posted:

The absolute shortsightedness of attacking an embassy amidst growing tensions is staggering. Literally zero strategic reason to do that, pure posturing. Zero surprise that Iran retaliated, and Israel will still try to spin it as an unprovoked attack somehow.

There are plenty of reasons why attacking a consulate is a great idea, if you're cynical enough.

1. There have been a lot of people questioning how much arms and money flow into Israel, seemingly just to grind Gaza into the dust a little harder without regard to the casualties of the women and children. Now each and every country involved in these transfers of arms can say to their concerned citizens, see, this isn't about grinding Gaza into the dust a little harder, it's about helping Israel defend itself from those Iranians. Note: It's still all going to be used to grind Gaza into dust without regard to the casualties of women and children.

It is entirely possible this is a gift to the American administration. At the very least it's a gift to the arms dealers who fund American politics via campaign donations and shady PACs. Half of the fun is to keep those companies lobbying their governments on behalf of Israeli decision makers. The money flows and a little heat is off the back of the US administration a bit. I can't be sure it works this way in other places, Germany for example, but I imagine every weapons-producing country is delighted by this, whatever they say publicly is whatever.

2. It actually a great distraction from what's going in Gaza, if you're the kind of person who really loves what's going on in Gaza, but thinks the people who are upset about it are harshing your mellow. It's probably a fine time right now to do all sorts of very interesting things to Gaza and the West Bank. The media has been historically on your side. A few little things like this are a great way to going back to the coverage you want. #2 is a stretch of course since nobody at all has cared about running distractions since this thing started.

3. Netanyahu cannot go to jail so long as Israel is at war. It is in his interest to keep some kind of conflict brewing, forever.

4. There's nothing to lose. No matter how many missiles and drones are sent, Israeli (and American) defensive systems are going to make short work of most of it. A few may get through, sure, but not enough to cause more than extremely light damage. A few people die? Whatever. Take a deep breath and ask yourself cynically, if the kind of of political decision maker who is content to grease refugee camps, hospitals, and what what, 15k to 20k non combatant women and children... if they would really care, deep down, if a few of their own people die in the process. If you're already comfortable with murder on that level what's a few more bodies?

5. It forces Iran into a Demonstration of Weakness. Iran gets to look comically ineffectual in its retaliation. This probably hurt Iran more than Israel, because Iran isn't just going to be installed resupplied by America and Europe once its stocks run low. People can make all the excuses they like that this is Iran just testing for future weakness, but that sounds like magical thinking to try to make Iran save face.

Edit: Grammar and diction.