Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Oh come on, you have to wait more than two years before you can tell such a huge lie and expect to not get called on it. On june 30th, Hamas fired its first rocket since 2012, in response to Israeli airstrikes which killed a Hamas member. No honest, clear-headed observer could come to the conclusion that Hamas instigated protective edge. Or brother's keeper, for that matter.

The kidnappings were done by a Hamas member and planned by a rogue faction, albeit acting independently of leadership. It was not full scale Protective Edge until Hamas proper started strikes in early July in an effort to ratchet up pressure, before then it was just tit for tat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Slight comic relief, one of Israel's most prominent fascists one Yoav "The Shadow" Eliassi posted the following on his facebook page:

I think the story about Israeli politics right now is less a wide scale turn to the right, and more political empowerment of the Mizrahim who literally hate Muslims due to being ethnically cleansed by them in the past century.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Except all the data point to the opposite, unless you are claiming mizrahim are about 65% of the population?

Except you're 100% wrong.

http://972mag.com/why-mizrahis-dont-vote-for-the-left/101769/

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I didn't endorse all of the content of the article, it just gives the voting crosstabs from a source that he'd accept.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Remember your original claim about it being less about Israeli shift to the right and more about Mizrahim being right-wing?

When 65% of Israelis think that a soldier who executed a wounded man 'did nothing wrong' it would suggest to me that there has been a massive shift to the right in Israel. Whether with Mizrahim or Ashkenazim. The fact that Mizrahim may be a little more to the right of an already far-right spectrum is meaningless. When heads of 'leftist' parties are espousing ideas that would have been considered practically Kahanist in the 1990s then you can't just point to Mizrahim and say 'well, Muslims' fault for kicking them out I guess'.

You're missing the point. Hamas is wrong for targeting civilians in the past. Would you say then that it's not a good idea to look at the reasons why they're angry? There's a reason Hebron is a lot shittier to live in than Ramallah: it's deliberate, as a punitive response to the 1929 pogrom and ethnic cleansing. That doesn't excuse the conduct, but it explains it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Watermelon City posted:

So what will it take for Israel to grudgingly regard Palestinians as allies?

Israel is allied with the Palestinian Authority.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
You have two options as far as Palestinian governance and they're both lovely in their own ways. If Israel were to throw up their hands and say, welp, no partner, guess it's full steam ahead with settlements you'd complain too. It's either them, or nothing, although I'm sure you do prefer the latter as a decent plurality of anti-Zionists really don't seem to give a poo poo at all about Palestinian quality of life and want to do things that would kill thousands of people and destroy their economy and lead to mass human suffering like start another intifada or outright open warfare in Israel proper.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Not even remotely connected to my post in any way, shape, or form. Was that non sequitur seeded by Ariel into Avshalom's cavernous vagina?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

The US and Iran came to a deal based around security. That doesn't make them allies, or even on friendly terms.

Does the Palestinian Authority care about anything other than their maintaining their lavish villas in Cyprus?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

So now they are Israeli puppets? Ignoring the fact that this completely undermines your point about Israel being "allied" with any Palestinian body, you're way off base. Pretty sure Israel wasn't very happy about releasing prisoners as concessions to the PA during negotiations, or the PA applying to UN charters and the ICC very publicly to stick their thumb in Israel's eye. Israel is not politically aligned with anyone who wishes to unlock the ball and chain on Palestines ankle, because at the end of the day, they are not open to giving up concessions on basic human rights that would allow Palestine to thrive as a normal nation. That's why the situation has been stagnant for so long.

There are a lot of reasons it's been stagnant, Netanyahu isn't a dictator for life, there was a long period where Kadima was eager to make a deal. There's plenty of blame to go around, and certainly Hamas and Fatah have incited violence at points to bring in more right wing governments.

And as you'd probably concede in another thread, Israel is now allied with most of the Sunni states in the region even if they're not so eager to announce it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. Most of the people who defend Israel in conversations like this tend to genuinely believe that government-sanctioned violence committed by an organized military is somehow less bad than private individuals committing acts of terror. Usually I can at least understand the warped logic that leads to dumb right-wing opinions, but I honestly don't know where they're coming from here.

The only thing I can think of is that they consider military violence more justifiable solely because the military (in this case the IDF) attempts to make excuses for its violence, whereas terrorists just flat out say "yeah we wanted to kill civilians." Like, it's somehow better for the IDF to kill orders of magnitude more civilians as long as they claim it wasn't their primary goal.

Part of it's causation, in that Israeli actions in Gaza are fundamentally in response to Hamas, even if you want to argue about the recent tit for tat, that's clearly the genesis as Israel has renounced territorial claims on Gaza. Secondly, there isn't a meaningful distinction any more between Hamas and a governmental actor, they are the elected government.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

objects in mirror posted:

The conflation of Israel with Jews and Judaism as a tactic to prevent any criticism of Israel needs to be called out more.

The claim that anti-Semitism allegations are thrown out at the drop of a hat is a ridiculous canard used to stifle debate and really needs to be called out more.

quote:

The labour party in the UK, which has many members who are on the anti-Zionist and pro-Palestine train, has been getting hilariously trolled these past few months by Israel lobby people and their cronies in the media with accusations of anti-Semitism and the Labour party is responding as if they got caught with their pants down (I don't follow UK politics too closely and all this information is coming to me via outlets that cover the I/P issue.)

Ken Livingstone is just a moron, no one would argue that he actually hates Jews, but he sure as poo poo is a political opportunist. Corbyn clearly has no hatred towards Jews at all, but has been idiotic in not forcefully condemning genuine, unambiguous anti-Semites. While both, rightfully, trip over themselves to angrily condemn any hypothetical instance of Islamophobia. Jews are seen as white and part of the establishment upper class and unworthy of the same protections. Similarly, Naz Shah and Malia Bouattia, while hypocrites and loving morons, are not anti-Semites. It's not a matter of direct anti-Semitism with those four, it's that the internal double standard within some realms of progressive politics, and Corbyn reaching out to genuine anti-Semites in other instances.

quote:

Vox.com is a site I like for the most part, even though I'm a moderate on most issues, but one of their glaring flaws is that they do act as a bulwark against criticism of Israel becoming mainstream among the left.

This is loving laughable. Like Vox is a bulwark of anything among the left. It isn't loving Jacobin. It's a Comcast-funded celebration of the neoliberal consensus.

edit: rofl at the autocorrect

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 1, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Except that you're cherry picking, and there are just as many examples of Alison Weir and Stormfront types JUST ASKING QUESTIONS about international financiers, morons like Joy Karega being wild anti-Semites and claiming they're just anti-Zionist, and things like the Mearsheimer/Walt report playing into centuries of anti-Semitic tropes in additional to being factually wrong, which didn't stop anti-Zionists from dying on the insane Israel is responsible for the war in Iraq hill. (Where the truth is that Sharon actively opposed it on realpolitik terms, but Netanyahu was among many cheerleading for it because he's an idiot, a traitor, and a chickenshit.) Or the insane double standard of the UN's disproportionate criticism of Israel, to the point where UNESCO resolutions are saying things like the Western Wall is an entirely Islamic site.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
You know, there are degrees of anti-Semitism. It's not a toggle switch where you go from nothing to instant Holocaust.

It's inaccurate to say that Israel is responsible for the Iraq war, as their PM at the time opposed it.

Ken Livingston didn't exactly pepper his comment with nuance.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 1, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ultramega posted:

You want to talk about cherry-picking, you never answered these:

But who knows, maybe these are all non sequiturs and not worthy of a meaningful response.

They are in the sense that it boils down to "those bad things you mentioned don't matter because other bad things are happening."

Ytlaya posted:

But none of this changes the fact that Israel actually is guilty of the crimes that it is frequently accused of.

It's frequently accused of genocide, which is demonstrably false. What's the need to exaggerate when keeping Gaza in a state of semi starvation and rubble is bad enough?

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 3, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

quote:

The problem with your argument is that you assume that all criticism of Israel is somewhere on the anti-semitic spectrum

Nope, not even remotely.

quote:

As I said, there's a lot to criticize about their work but to smear it as anti-semitism is beyond the pale and has a chilling effect on the discussion.

The accusation isn't about Iraq ultimately, it's about their scheming Jewish cabal theorizing.

quote:

I said nothing of the sort.

That's what the post I was asked to respond to boiled down to. It's not strictly about the double standard, it's the double standard just happening to fall on the group that's been a scapegoat for 2,000 years. You're clearly off the rails with the "blood libel" garbage that wasn't remotely implied by anything outside of your imagination. You have to engage with the argument that people actually post, not some trash strawman argument that wasn't made here.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Panzeh posted:

A desire to engage in ethnic cleansing at some point is probably the most accurate term I could use for Israeli intentions in the Palestinian territory. When I presented the dictionary definition of ethnic cleansing to people who suggested that the inhabitants of Gaza and the West bank move, they just kinda shrugged. I don't recall which one it was, MIGF or hakimashou.

The very notion that you can occupy territory, then tell the inhabitants that they can neither be citizens of an independent country nor be citizens of Israel is rather troubling, and most people who support Israel support this position. The easiest way to tease out the racism from this very notion is to ask them to justify why Palestinians can't be unilaterally made citizens of Israel.

I don't think the majority of Israelis want to govern Palestinian majority areas. They want to:

Keep the 1948 borders, which the majority of Palestinians do not accept. This ultimately is why the conflict may not be solvable.
Keep the majority of Jewish-majority settlements, especially adjacent to the Green Line. The largest plurality would prefer to do this via negotiations and land swaps, but radicalization means that even Labor now increasingly supports unilateral disengagement and annexation. This may be solvable, but becomes less so by the day.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

FreshlyShaven posted:

No, that's precisely what you're arguing. Simply saying "nuh-uh" doesn't change the fact that your argument, that there is no line between criticism of a nation state/its policies/its ideology and bigotry towards a people but only a question of degrees, implies precisely that.

I have never argued this in any capacity. That's purely in your imagination. You're making these ridiculous claims with zero citations because they are 100% fiction.

team overhead smash posted:

Actually there has been majority support for the peace process for a good long while amongst Palestinians. It's only in the last year or two that it's dipped below 50%, with the thousands killed in protective Edge following years of oppression with no progress seeing it decline to the high 40's due to the lack of belief that Israel is actually willing to engage in peace.

They support the peace process in theory, but would they have supported surrendering their refugee claims? Because that's the only way Labor ever signs a deal.

Okay, I have their book, The Israel lobby and US Foreign policy, right here in front of me. If you're "not remotely" just throwing out blind accusations of anti-semitism to hide behind, what are the passages that you're critical of?

The fundamental thesis of the book is self-serving bullshit meant to apologize for solely American failures. I think Chomsky is 100% correct that Israel can be seen as an American client state blindly following American interests. It's just a more politically correct version of the stormfront trope of undue Jewish influence.

Main Paineframe posted:

even the director of the Pears Institute for the Study of Anti-Semitism is being accused of "dismissing" anti-Semitism and having ties with "leftist" groups that are "critical of British Jewish institutions", I think it's fair to say the whole thing's escalated into nothing less than a witch-hunt.

He's inherently not a neutral observer in being a member of IJV, although their website looks more like a J Street analogue than a JVP one. Corbyn should pick a genuine independent auditor rather than a fellow traveler.

Fundamentally this dispute boils down to whether anti-Semitism is solely limited to outright hatred and violence, or whether prejudice and functional outcomes count. The answer in the latter case is of course, it depends on the situation, but groups like JVP are seemingly determined to defend cases like Bouattia's reflexively, who has not advocated outright hatred against Jews, but rails against "Zionists" controlling the media and other institutions of power, and supports unlimited violence in the name of "resistance."

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

This is a nice way of shifting the blame. What you actually mean here is that no Israeli government and a majority of the Jewish people do not support the peace process based on the internationally agreed consensus on the final status.

That's not true in the sense that the international consensus is that refugees aren't coming back. That's what the quartet was telling Abbas.

quote:

And I've got the book right here in front of me, so where does it say anything to back up your claims? Have you even read it?

The book I've got points out that the Israel lobby is a powerful influence, but not the exclusive one. It explains that even though the Israel was active in the various events it covers, other people with no connection to the lobby were pushing for the same thing. Moreover at no point does it say "and because the lobby has this influence, the USA politicians therefore have no culpability in their own decisions".

It honestly seems like you've never actually read the book and are basing your entire argument off of reviews or on-line criticisms you've googled, which is loving retarded.

I read it 8 years ago. It dresses up its idiotic claims but they're still bullshit.

I see, Walt and Mearsheimer were merely trying to apologize for American failures. In that same spirit of criticism, perhaps it's fair to say that you might be similarly prejudiced in trying to discredit claims about Zionist lobbying efforts and corruption of U.S foreign policy perhaps because of your ethnic and religious ties to Israel (sorry to say but only Israelis and Jewish supporters of Israel take your tone, but forgive my presumption if you are someone without emotional and ethnic connections to Israel who just happens to be sharing impartial views on foreign affairs that just happen to be favorable towards Israel.)

This is loving Stormfront-level trash. There are posters in this thread who scream about how they're Jewish and anti-Zionist. That's also the very premise of JVP, a group that loves touting its ethnic background. Ethnicity and nationality have no bearing on this at all either way, and anyone citing them is a lovely debater and disingenuous.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

You dismissed a widely read and influential book that was critical of the US-Israel relationship as well as of the Israel lobby by claiming that its authors were merely trying to cover up for American mistakes. Let's entertain this idea. Walt and Mearsheimer book was not a reasoned argument but merely a ruse to cover up for America because, presumably, Walt and Mearsheimer are American nationalists who love America and were being protective of its image. But curious, isn't it, how you froth at the mouth when this same type of criticism is leveled at you -- that is, you are someone who primarily perceives the I/P conflict from an ethnocentric and tribal perspective and your arguments are the ones that are really trying to cover for a country's bad actions. When you claim others' words and advocacy as being disingenuous due to being motivated by nationalism (as you said, the intent to cover up for America's mistakes), it's fine and dandy. When others accuse you of the same thing, it's "stormfront-level trash." Funny how that works. Perhaps this is making you understandably uncomfortable, as Israel is known for having a troll brigade of nationalists who work to disrupt criticism of Israel online, but that's neither here nor there, so how about withdrawing that baseless charge against Walt and Mearsheimer? If you don't then I'll be just as free to call you an ethnocentric tribal nationalist engaging in hasbara for emotional and biased reasons to benefit a Nation-state to which he's connected. Toodles.

I never claimed that they were motivated by ethnicity in any respect, and calling their work influential is stretching it given that most of the reaction to it was hostile in some respect. Mearsheimer and Walt mirror centuries of anti-Semitic tropes while I have not cited stereotypes in any capacity. Your argument is that prima facie, no good faith argument against anti-Zionism can ever be levied in any capacity. You're fully disingenuous and colossally full of poo poo.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know, I try to avoid posting or adjudicating in this thread due to my closeness to the material, but you've been spending pages upon pages alternating between throwing accusations at Mearsheimer and Walt and non sequiturs attacking those asking you to back them up. If you can't support your claim with evidence, admit defeat and move on. Keep this up and there will be consequences.

You're criticizing me, when objects demanded an ethnic purity test for being allowed to have an opinion on this subject? The evidence is the loving argument that they made. I've tried to keep this solely on substance.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I didn't accuse them of tribalism, I accused them of having a narrow, autistic, delusionally self-serving view of the "national interest." They want us to have a foreign policy out of Putin's Russia. If we take that school to its natural end, we would have endlessly and uncritically supported authoritarian regimes like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Syria, and Libya until they inevitably blew up. Thankfully, actual adults were in charge during the past seven years and we avoided that path.

It's not bad faith because I not being in any way disingenuous here. Everyone has their own priors, it's loving irrelevant and impossible to measure, go by the plain, written text and merit of the argument.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Explain to me the obsession over the Liberty and not one peep about the USS Stark.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

YOu are kidding right? Actually according to your logic the USA should have invaded Israel and forced it to endure a ten year occupation.

Iraq was a US ally at the time, and would continue to be for a number of years. Again, why no conspiracy there? More people died.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Officially, yes. In the Temple, there was a area which basically no one was permitted to enter except for the High Priest under very specific circumstances, and entry to the Temple in general was subject to certain conditions as well. It's believed that even though the Temple is long gone, these restrictions still exist on the land on which it stood, and since it is no longer possible to determine the exact location of the area where humans were forbidden to step, mainstream Judaism holds that Jews should stay off the Temple Mount altogether until the time of the Third Temple, in order to avoid accidentally violating that ban and profaning the holiest site in Judaism.

However, there are plenty of extremist rabbis who go against mainstream Orthodox doctrine. One particularly active set is the so-called "religious nationalist" movement, which basically argues that bringing all of biblical Israel under Jewish control is not just a divine right but also a divine mandate. Naturally, Temple Mount activists tend to be followers of religious-nationalist rabbis, who proclaim that the time of the Third Temple is ours to decide and bring about through action. Typically, these rabbis claim that the prohibition on ascending the Temple Mount is misguided in some way, either arguing that the location of the prohibited site is known well enough that there's no need to bar entry (typically they claim it's inside the Dome of the Rock or other Muslim sites, which of course would have to be demolished so that the Third Temple could be built there) or pointing to various historical Jewish scholars who they claim ascended the Temple Mount.

The Temple movement goes against Jewish theology in a lot of ways, but people don't flock to religious nationalism for accurate Jewish analysis - they flock to it because it's a religious justification for their political desires, and its distinctly messianic flavor is attractive to many.

This is correct, and I know you're not implying this, but the error in this ideology does not mean that Satmar or more extremist groups are correct, because they mainly think the state of Israel is illegitimate because it's too secular.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I think this is approaching #nevertrump territory where the Israeli media and Americans are loudly cheerleading the idea of a renegate Likud faction led by Yaalon toppling the government. As appealing as the idea is on certain levels, it also smacks of the No Labels fantasy of drafting General Mattis or something, even if the military is more ingrained into Israeli culture. http://www.timesofisrael.com/poll-party-headlined-by-yaalon-saar-kahlon-could-beat-likud

quote:

A new political party with former defense minister Moshe Ya’alon, Kulanu leader Moshe Kahlon and former Likud minister Gideon Sa’ar would get the largest number of seats in Israel’s 120-seat parliament — 25 — if elections were held today, according to a poll published on Friday.

The survey by Israel Radio indicated that a new center-right party would beat Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud by four seats, with Israel’s ruling party dropping from its current 30 seats to 21.

With the new Ya’alon-Kahlon-Sa’ar party in the running, the Zionist Union would fall dramatically — from 24 seats to 11 — and the center-left Yesh Atid, right-wing Jewish Home and right-wing Yisrael Beytenu would all snatch up two more seats than they currently have (Yesh Atid would rise from 11 to 13, Jewish Home from 8 to 10, and Yisrael Beytenu from 6 to 8).

The Joint (Arab) List would remain steady with 13 seats, as would the ultra-Orthodox United Torah Judaism with eight. Ultra-Orthodox party Shas and left-wing Meretz would each lose one seat, according to the survey.

Ya’alon resigned last Friday, after Netanyahu offered the Defense Ministry to Yisrael Beytenu leader Avigdor Liberman as part of coalition talks. In his parting address, the veteran Likud politician vowed a political comeback.

Sa’ar, also a former Likud minister, is rumored to be considering a return to political life and is thought to be a contender to Netanyahu for the premiership. Ya’alon, Sa’ar and Kahlon have not suggested they will run on a joint ticket in the future, and the survey is entirely speculative.

Without the formation of such a new center-right party, the Likud would shrink by two seats (28) but remain, by far, the largest party in the Knesset, according to the Israel Radio poll.

The second-largest party would be Yesh Atid with 19 seats, identical to the number it had after the 2013 elections. Kahlon’s Kulanu would drop from 10 to 6, and the Zionist Union would decline from its 24 seats to 15. The Jewish Home and Yisrael Beytenu parties would get an additional two seats, respectively, and Shas and Meretz one more than they now hold (7 and 6).

The poll did not note the number of respondents or margin of error.

The coalition deal between Netanyahu and Liberman was signed on Wednesday, bringing the latter’s five-seat party into the narrow coalition. It would have been six seats but Yisrael Beytenu MK Orly Levy-Abekasis resigned from her party last week, although not from the Knesset, in protest of the talks.

On Friday, Environmental Protection Minister Avi Gabbay, a non-MK Kulanu candidate filling the position, stepped down, saying he “could not swallow” Liberman’s appointment and Ya’alon’s resignation.

In this scenario, Kulanu/New Likud at 25 + Yesh Atid at 13 + Labor at 11 + Meretz at 4 doesn't give them a majority. But neither does Likud at 21 + Jewish Home at 10 + Beitenu at 8 + UTJ at 8 + Shas at 7. Some have suggested that Lieberman would consider a centrist coalition, and conceivably Shas could be had in some scenarios. UTJ has coalitioned with Labor in the past, but Lapid would seemingly be against it.

Other polls without this option have Labor bleeding its support to Yesh Atid instead.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Sharon like Ya'aron is/was a centrist who vacillated wildly during his career. Netanyahu is an Israeli Mitt Romney who has no core principles.

Peres and Barak had deals ready to go before losing due to Hamas/Fatah violence campaigns.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Now there are reports that Bennett is going to blow up the coalition and new elections might be coming.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Great piece about Iraq's ethnic cleansing of Mizrahim in in the 40s/50s. What many anti-Zionists don't emphasize enough is that Zionism is not solely some abstract colonialist project. Its policies were often in direct response to actions like this. Specifically, Iraq's policies poisoned the chances of Palestinian refugees ever receiving compensation or being allowed to return. Whether or not you think it's fair or just, Israel will never accept any agreement that does not include compensation for Mizrahi refugees.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/the-expulsion-that-backfired-when-iraq-kicked-out-its-jews

quote:

Israeli foreign minister Moshe Sharett vociferously condemned Iraq’s extortion and state-sponsored theft. Estimates of the value of Iraqi Jewry’s blocked assets ranged from 6 million to 12 million dinars or, at its highest valuation, some $300 million in 21st century money.

Sharett swore that Israel “considers this act of robbery by force of law to be the continuation of the evil oppression which Iraq has always practiced against defenseless minorities … We have a reckoning to conduct with the Arab world as to the compensation due to Arabs who left Israeli territory and abandoned their property there because of the war of the Arab world against our state. The act perpetrated by the Iraqi kingdom against the property of Jews that have not transgressed against Iraqi law, and have not undermined her status or plotted against her, forces us to combine the two accounts. Hence,” Sharett declared, “the government has decided to inform the appropriate UN institution and I proclaim this publicly, that the value of the Jewish property frozen in Iraq will be taken into account by us in calculating the sum of the compensation we have agreed to pay to Arabs who abandoned property in Israel.”

This is why Mizrahim vote for rightist parties and are the biggest cheerleaders of increased militarism in Israel. They in many cases have a direct grudge and animus against Arabs and/or Muslims.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Anyhow, what about the main thrust of your argument - the assertion that Mizrahi have a grudge against Arab countries and demand reparations? Well, although Jews were definitely outright expelled from a few Arab countries, many prominent Mizrahi have called the "all Mizrahi were expelled from Arab countries" narrative utter horseshit, pointing out that large-scale departure of Jews from many Arab countries was entirely voluntary or done at Israel's behest (and, indeed, one of the deeper traumas shared by many Mizrahi populations is Israel's utter mismanagement of those migrations and the second-class status they faced when they arrived). It's a narrative that deprives Arab Jews of their own agency by turning them from "fervent Zionists who willingly threw away their old lives for Israel" into "helpless refugees rescued and enlightened by the mighty Ashkenazi", all for the sake of concocting an excuse to refuse the claims of the Palestinian refugees that Israel forced upon those very same countries. Let's see how the descendants of Iraqi Jews feel about Iraq.

You can go on frontpagemag and find arguments claiming the Nakba was 100% voluntary and they had it coming anyway, it doesn't make it true. What right do Ashkenazim have to jewsplain to Mizrahim about how they're supposed to feel about being ethnically cleansed?

Kajeesus posted:

I'm assuming you would be cheerleading exactly as much if Palestinians were in a position to ethnically cleanse Jews, because they too have a direct grudge and animus, yes?

How was I cheerleading? It's stupid and self defeating that they're so driven for revenge that they support war, but it's coming from a real place of pain. Just like Palestinians who suffered real hardship and in turn support war. Neither animus is going to go away unless there's a recognition of that pain. Israel is not loving Zabar's on the Mediterranean, it's a majority Mizrahi country and acts as such.

Also it is perfectly possible that in a final agreement the reparations to Jewish refugees will be set against the much larger reparations to Palestinians. That's unlikely to happen any time soon though because it would invovle Israel being comitted to the peace process.

Why would there be much larger reparations to Palestinians? That's not the case if you go by value of property lost or number of refugees displaced.

quote:

In fact if we flipped this around and have "people are hostile towards Jews because of something Israel did 60 years ago", wouldn't that be a classic case of anti-semitism? Projecting the actions of a nation onto an entire race/religion is wrong and racist whether the country is Iraq or Israel. So why are you advocating this directly analogous example as something that should not just be taken into account but actually emphasised?

Hating Jews because of Israel's actions is anti-Semitic, but it's not anti-Semitic to try to understand the cause and try to mediate it. Your argument doesn't make sense. I'm arguing that Mizrahi narratives in fact closely mirror Palestinian narratives, there's just a double standard because Israel took them in, while most Muslim countries refuse to grant Palestinians citizenship or in many cases basic human rights. Not only that, but this is important to understand that in the mindset of Zionism - anti-Zionism has zero credibility because there's a focus on Palestinians that's disproportionate to analogous cases, and the genuinely analogous Mizrahim (as far as 1948 goes) are almost completely dismissed as irrelevant. Or someone like Hanan Ashrawi attacks them as liars and criminals.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

FreshlyShaven posted:

That and the whole racism thing, you know how Israel was supposed to be a "Jewish" state(ie, a state which guaranteed one racial group's political dominance and relegated all others to second-class status if that) and such a state could not come about without ethnic cleansing.

Ben Gurion was a lot more powerful than Jabotinsky. Arab leaders at the time could have very easily accepted the 1947 partition plan. They chose not to, and in fact chose war and attempted ethnic cleansing instead. I am not arguing this in turn imparts any guilt or collective responsibility on modern day Palestinians, or justifies land theft, but it's loving true.

quote:

Of course, that's just another tactic for buying time and changing the "facts on the ground". What you're saying is that Israel shouldn't be asked to end the occupation and accept Palestinian human rights until literally every Arab(and maybe Central Asian/Persian/Turkish) state agrees to apologize to the Mizrahim and compensate them. In the real world, that means never; you'll never get all these countries to agree, at least as long as Israel continues its occupation and makes a mockery of the very concept of human rights and as long as the occupation/the refugee situation continues to fuel mass anti-Israel sentiment. Saying "we won't do anything until Yemen, Iraq, Syria, Algeria, Iran, KSA, etc, etc. all simultaneous agree to our terms" is saying "we won't do anything," period. Now, if Israel were actually interested in securing rights for the Mizrahim forced out of Middle-Eastern lands, Israel would end the occupation and grant Palestinians their rights. Doing so would make such agreements politically possible; the Arab League has agreed to normalize relations with Israel once the occupation is over and some just solution to the Palestinian refugees is found and normalization of relations is an important step towards reconciliation and compensation. With an end to the occupation and the bi-annual Gaza massacre and the subsequent piles of dead children, with an end to the misery-filled Palestinian refugee camps, popular opinion towards Israel will soften in the Middle East, making it politically feasible for governments to deal with Israel and the Mizrahim justly. Of course, Israel is more interested in using the plight of the Mizrahim as a pretext to continue oppressing and violating the rights of Palestinians than it is in actually trying to solve it.

In the real world, no Israeli government will ever agree to unilateral concessions like this. So therefore, you're basically saying the occupation should go on forever because god forbid you take a deal that's a gigantic improvement over what the future would otherwise hold but not 100% perfect. AKA, 1947 all over again. What you're advocating is also wildly unjust. It's simply unfair to elevate one group's suffering arbitrarily over another's. The Arab League proposal is a non starter for this reason. Saying agree to our every single demand and we'll make peace is not a peace proposal, it's an excuse for warlords to continue to wage war. Genuine peace requires hard concessions on both sides, even if god loving damnit Kosovo is the birthplace of Serbdom and Skanderbeg is turning over in his grave.

quote:

That and the fact that the Ashkenazi elite who formed the core of the Labour party and the center-left political establishment viewed Mizrahim as little better than Arabs, ie. vermin. Cf. the whole abducting Moroccan children thing or the dousing of new Mizrahi arrivals in pesticides upon arrival in Israel.

Hence, why Mizrahim finally started rejecting Ashkenazim at the ballot box and voting for their desired non-condescending parties with militaristic foreign policies.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

FreshlyShaven posted:

Leaving that aside, despite the disclaimer, this comes dangerously close to victim-blaming. Maybe instead of trying to elide Israeli responsibility by blaming Palestinian leaders, you could simply acknowledge the most salient fact and let it sink in: Israel ethnically cleansed the Palestinians and has refused to make amends for it or acknowledge the basic human rights of its victims. Yes, the ethnic cleansing occurred in a time of racial tension and political violence, but that's true of almost every incidence of ethnic cleansing; ethnic cleansing rarely happens during periods of stability and prosperity.

That's not what's being debated. I've argued there's a close analogy to the treatment of Palestinians and Mizrahim, and to be consistent, they're either both ethnic cleansing or neither are.

quote:

In the real world, Israel is not interested in making a just peace. It prefers to maintain the occupation to satisfy its right-wing zealots, avoid dealing with its housing crisis and to profit the Israeli economy at the expense of Palestinian suffering. The closest thing to a serious peace plan offered by Israel was the Oslo Accords and a) that didn't even create a Palestinian state, and b) no sooner did Israel sign the Accords than it went about sabotaging them.

Netanyahu started sabotaging them. He only succeeded because Hamas (in 1996) and Fatah (in 2000) attacks radicalized Israeli politics.

quote:

Netanyahu has promised there will be no Palestinian state, 3/4 of Israeli Jews oppose a 2 state solution which creates a viable Palestinian-administered territory, and Labour's record is just as bad as Likud's(and likely to get worse as Herzog decides that the route to electoral victory is through hating Arabs more than Likud). So don't pretend that some reasonable peace could come about if those Palestinians were just willing to eat more poo poo and pretend to like it. The only way to peace is through international sanctions and pressure.

Polls say anything, there are lots of polls saying Israelis and Palestinians both support and oppose peace. Peace does not mean 100% acquiesce to Palestinian demands, including fresh rounds of ethnic cleansing.

quote:

No, I'm saying an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal should focus on Israel/Palestine instead of dealing with tangential issues because given Israel's behavior, it should be obvious that Israel would use a single country's intransigence to scuttle the entire talks. The issue of Iraqi Mizrahim and compensation for their suffering should be dealt with between the government of Iraq and Israel; the Palestinians should not be held hostage over something they had nothing to do with.

That seems like Israel's MO right there. Nevertheless, that's not what I'm doing. I'm saying separate issues should be addressed separately and that one group's suffering is no excuse for another group's suffering. You know, basic morality.

It's exactly what you're doing. You're elevating the rights of one group of refugees over another's, arguing one group deserves immediate compensation and the other does not.

quote:

For another, the Arab peace proposal is, in its outline, simple: end the occupation and find a just solution to the refugees. This is the international consensus and the bare minimum for any kind of a just peace. Israel has no excuse for not accepting it; its refusal to even entertain the idea is proof of just how little interest Israel has in ending apartheid and making peace.

Not remotely true, the international consensus is not for the right of return. If it was, they would not have supported Barak and Olmert's plans which did not include more than token measures.

quote:

The Palestinians have been suffering for over 60 years under a brutal apartheid regime. Israelis have not. The Palestinians have already made hard concessions through their blood, their tears, their stolen lands, the daily apartheid checkpoints, the stolen billions from the Palestinian economy, etc. They've done 98 percent of the suffering; it's Israel's turn to give up its apartheid policies and make some concessions for once.

This is wishful thinking, and not how international diplomacy works. There's a scenario where centrists win the Knesset and Taba is revived. There a scenario where the status quo persists and Palestinian misery worsens. There's no scenario where one of the two major US political parties permits any sanction of Israel over the next eight years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Just to confirm then, do you accept that Mizrahim who hold the views you set out are racist scumbags whose opinions are worthless regardless of whether it might be useful to understand why they hold these racist scumbag opinions?

Thanks for the paragraphs about how refugees don't deserve any sympathy. Those opinions aren't inherently racist in the sense that they're primarily motivated out of revenge, unless you also consider a good chunk of Palestinian anti-Zionism to be racist as well. The ideas are garbage, but they hold validity in the sense that they come from real emotional pain.

quote:

Arafat in the 2000 Camp David Summit was already willing to make concessions and accept a very limited return to Israel. The only bit Israel could possibly object to is handwavey waffle specifically designed as a fig leaf for the arabs so that the refugees can be mentioned while committing Israel to nothing.

That's a thorny piece. There's a lot of talk about how Arafat was self contradictory on the point, but clearly it's a precondition for any peace deal. He accepted this at certain points but ultimately rejected it, and then went back and forth a few times like when in 2002 or so he asked to sign the deal when Sharon was shelling camps. I think you're giving far too generous a reading. If you read comments by the Saudis and other governments, they're clearly at least catering to an audience back home with a very different interpretation.

quote:

Also it's not really elevating one group's suffering arbitrarily over another's, but being capable of basic critical analysis and reasoning that the ethnic cleansing of Jews 70 years ago who were refugees for a short time, in some case days, but now live in relative comfort in a modern industrialised nation is not as important than a group of arabs being ethnically cleansed 70 years ago and then them and their descendent continuing to be refugees living in poverty who are oppressed, kill, jailed, tortured, etc for those 70 years up until the present day.

The flaw in what you're saying is that the ethnic cleansing of Mizrahim in fact has a direct causal link to the poor treatment of Palestinian refugees you cite. For instance, Hebron is so miserable precisely because it's meant to be punitive punishment for a pogrom. Also, by your logic, the Palestinian refugee problem could have been solved by them being given citizenship by their absorbing states, so therefore you must think the fault lies with the likes of Lebanon and Syria.

Counter-productive to what? Israel's slow ethnic cleansing of them? There is a massive international consensus that Israel needs to return to the the pre-1967 borders (with mutal land swaps, blahblahblahblah) and this constrains Israelis actions to a large degree. It would be foolish to get rid of that by going "actually, I guess we don't need human rights or anything, feel free to take all our land".

That of course doesn't mention that this is a massive misinterpretation. In negotiations, Palestinians haven't been arguing for a return to the status quo. The return of refugees has been planned to be small, with most of them planned to go to a newly formed Palestinian state so that Israel can maintain it's ethnic and religious purity, while in terms of the land although it's based along the 1967 borders land swaps have been agreed in principle so that Israel gets all its big settlements in return for giving the Palestinians undeveloped land. They're specifically not negotiating for a return to the "status quo anti bellum".

Let's distinguish from the PA and the broader anti-Zionist movement here. If you want to argue that BDS or Electronic Intifada are radical, armchair, non-representative groups I would agree with you. They argue for a maximalist position where any attempts at peacemaking are "collaborationist." My criticism is of those groups, and not genuine advocates for human rights like Odeh.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 5, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

You're wrong, though. There's a massive difference between the expulsion of a minority population by military force, and voluntary emigration to a national home which promises a better social and economic standing, subsidies, and also pays their way. Some Mizrahi migrations were the result of ethnic cleansing, but many more weren't. (Why, it's almost as if lumping together the experiences of the Jewish populations in over 20 different countries over the course of more than four decades is dumb)

You're deliberately obfuscating. 100% of the Palestinian refugees did not leave their homes involuntarily. You're intentionally maximizing Palestinian suffering and minimalizing Mizrahi suffering to suit your rhetoric.

SedanChair posted:

That's nice, now the Palestinians are "irredentist." Not wanting your land to be slowly absorbed, and your people dispersed and their identity not even acknowledged, is irredentist.

Not all, just the pro-ethnic cleansing BDS movement and similar radical groups not supported by mainstream Palestinian organizations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ultramega posted:

A cursory google revealed this
https://bdsmovement.net/2013/al-haq-substantial-grounds-holding-italian-firm-pizzarotti-responsible-war-crimes-11197

Al-Haq is about as mainstream as they come when it comes to palestinian NGOs and their record of defending terrorism and organizing direct violent action against Israeli settlers is so well documented.

What does this have to do with the BDS (re: Barghouti) movement's stated irredentist goals?

Ultramega posted:

Why do you have such a stick up your rear end about all of this? What's more illustrative of current trends? The fact that hardons like you literally, cannot take a joke about The Jewish State™ and your and KJI's axiomatic position of "anti-israeli sentiment is de facto anti-semitism" comes off in ways you might not intend.

I haven't said this - the fact that you're stating this shows that you just glossed over what I actually have said numerous times.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You have all spent a whole page talking about BDS, so maybe it's worthwhile to mention this:

I wonder if this will hold up in court? Seems like both executive overreach (this failed to pass in the State legislature) and State overreach (seems to be impinging upon the Commerce Clause). Here's some criticism published in the generally centrist Jewish-American Daily Forward:

I oppose boycotts on principle and they're not at all effective in practice. Still, the logic is a complete inversion of BDS, so I don't see the consistency in arguing Sweden or whoever should boycott Israel but this one is improper. It's pretty dumb but it's not an infringement on free speech, nor is it "banning BDS" like some liars are claiming.

Are you really that dumb? You realize that directly contradicts the point you're trying to make? The State of Israel's actions, justly or unjustly, start a causal chain that leads to anti-Semitic beliefs. That has nothing to do at all with equating anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

Why did Herzog think it was a good idea to enter into a coalition again? Also might he get kicked from his party?

Because the alternative is Bennett and the religious parties in prominent positions in the coalition.

Ismael Haniyeh publicly praised the attacks. Reports are that the attackers are from Hebron.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There's a meaningful distinction between criticizing settlements and supporting full boycotts or any other crazy demand. The former is a mainstream belief.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's insane to me that people regard boycotts as an extremist view. It's such a minor measure that only involves us choosing what to buy.

I think they're stupid in general (see above knocking the NYC boycott), but it's not all boycotts, it's Barghouti's boycott. There are groups like the PA that boycott the settlements and whatever. Barghouti's boycott is both collective punishment and has the end game of ethnic cleansing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

Remember, KJI is one of those people who believes that objecting to ethnic cleansing of Group B by Group A is ethnic cleansing of Group A.

No, I believe that promising to remove group A and replace them with group B is ethnic cleansing.