Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

Private Witt posted:

If they do the hypothetical prisoner swap of all of the hostages for all of the Hamas prisoners, where exactly would the prisoners be going?

In the 2011 prisoner exchange they were first released to Cairo then some were transferred to Gaza. Those barred from returning to Gaza were later moved to other countries such as Qatar. So it would probably look something like this and required a third party broker.

I think it would necessitate a ceasefire just to move all the hostages within Gaza safely as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

particularly the mysterious disappearance of all physical remains of the explosive from the scene (which Hamas had control of).

This talking point is laughable to me. Obviously Hamas can get their hands on plenty of IDF munitions remnants. If they wanted to they could fake that evidence. And so if they present any evidence the next talking point will be "they are faking it, you can't trust Hamas!"

It is pretty clear Hamas has decided they already have won the hearts of the Arabic world on this topic, and they have no faith in Western media to treat their evidence fairly, so they just aren't going to engage further.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Blinken's plan is complete horseshit. So Israel, who created the conditions for all of this in the first place, on purpose, gets all of the power still over Palestinians, and gets to implement a puppet government that will be pro-Israeli and leave the Palestinians likely worst off than they are even now. Israel has committed horrific war crimes, and carried out ruthless genocide against Palestinians for decades, they don't get a say in this, and letting them control Gaza in any capacity is completely unacceptable.

If such a plan were to work, Israel cannot be both party to and enforcer of the plan. It didn't work with Oslo and it won't work now, because parties in a negotiation want to get as much as possible out of it, while enforcers need to ensure the parties act fairly. You would need a powerful third party that all sides don't despise. The only country that comes to mind is China but they seem to want to stay well away from the I/P conflict. The US is not trusted by Palestinians due to their long-standing support of Israel. A coalition involving Western and Arab states might be possible but it is unwieldy.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

China has been doing a quiet ethnic cleansing in the western part of the country where there have been traditionally been a lot of Muslim people. This has been going on for probably a decade now.

Not just Xinjiang but Tibet as well. It's not really ethnic cleansing in the sense of forced removal, but China seems to want their ethnic minorities to abandon certain traditional practices and to instead conform to their mainstream standards. It's sort of like what Canada did with its Indian residential schools to try to force natives to assimilate.