Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
"I have told hold this man's head under the water, because if I don't he may hold my head under!"

Meanwhile the best solution to both get the gently caress out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I just watched Louis Theroux's "The Ultra Zionists" documentary and I have to ask: Do do you think he painted you in the best possible light, TIC? I assume you're one of the guys in it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
On the other hand, I think it's good that the Palestinians do fire rockets. For one thing, it feeds the narrative that Israel has to live up to that Palestinians are an existential threat (even though they clearly are not, any more than a caged dog is an existential threat to the person holding the key). Israel has to jump through so many, many hoops maintaining this lie and eventually they're not going to be able to do it anymore.

It's a loving awful situation but what other choice do they have? They can either go quietly into the night or take a stand and fight back, however futile. The "Well they should just quietly take it" is loving stupid because using the same reasoning you could very easily say that the Warsaw ghetto uprising was an Unreasonable act and they should have just quietly accepted their fate - kicking up a fuss is a terrible shame.

Anything the Palestinians do, including existing, has caused them to be ground into the dirt. They should never be good little victims and quietly accept their destruction.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of the rocket's casualties was a Bedouin, which Israel co-incidentally didn't give a single gently caress about. Rockets are a war crime when they happen to hit, or land near, a Jewish person - other Israelis are not a huge concern.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

hakimashou posted:

Dr King and Gandhi taught non violence, and they won their struggles.

I see there was a new terrorist attack in Israel today. Do you think it will help or hurt the Palestinians' cause?

I don't think you're familiar with the Civil Rights movement or the Indian independence movement if you think they were entirely non-violent.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Baracula posted:

Gandhi was operating as the alternative to the real possibility of a bloody Indian army mutiny. That's probably not important though

Likewise with the civil rights movement you had the black panthers effectively forming armed militias that would protect black neighbourhoods from the police etc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
FWIW it's only really worth looking at subtle nuances when there's even a token attempt to hide blind racism and bigotry.

When official representatives come out and say that Miscegenation is wrong, that Israeli Arabs who show sympathy for other Arabs they should be denied rights of citizenship and outright denying the humanity and comparing people to rats and diseases it's really hard to find any semblance of nuance or other interpretations in that.

This isn't dog whistle racism, this is a megaphone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

XMNN posted:

I'd go with zero for either side, a missile that might hit a civilian population but lands in a field or gets blown out of the sky is a war crime but it's not really on the same level as one that kills or injures someone or dozens or hundreds of people.

Which doesn't change the fact that he is asking people to condemn them as war crimes implicitly to excuse the actions of the IDF which kills hundreds of civilians because either they too are incapable of distinguishing between civilian and military targets or they simply don't care about collateral damage, which sounds pretty war crimey to me.

It's not that they're incapable of distinguishing civilian and military targets, they're explicitly told to disregard any distinction and treat everyone as a military target.

http://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/protective-edge

Actual testimony from IDF on how Protective Edge was carried out. Obviously these are the worst types of anti-Semites that could possibly be.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I agree that a stabbing is a terrible thing that is completely unconscionable. It's also fairly common.We have about 130,000 stabbings per year in the UK, yet none of them are met with the full force of our military might by driving tanks through the ghetto, much as certain sections of society would love to see that.

Why is it that Israel feels that a criminal act should be met with extra-judicial military force?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Is this the point in time when you declare yourself the great recreator or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The most convincing argument I've heard for the uniqueness of the Holocaust as a tragedy is that it was the first industrial, almost mechanised slaughter of humans.

This was also true for every other target of the Nazis, though, so it still doesn't really hold true.