Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Muslim countries got a lot of Christian churches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

That's good to know about the churches! I've only ever been to Israel so I'm still learning about the other countries in the area. My only context has been "you're jewish and you're not allowed to live there" which I'm sure is an oversimplification (I hope).

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

we've only got a few years left to get in our shoah takes before the survivors aren't here to read them!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

still sucks to get hit with one regardless

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Pomeroy posted:

Nonsense, Israel wouldn't last a year without American backing, it's an appendage of the US empire, nothing more. The Suez crisis settled that definitively.

hi i don't post in this thread much but i'll pop in to disagree with this

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

thank you for reading

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Relayer posted:

Robust discussion and good faith consideration of the other side itt

What are the sides exactly?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Relayer posted:

I'd like to tell you but I don't really wanna get banned cause ten bucks sort of matters right now

i'm glad getting probated was a cheap alternative.

anyways, painting with broad strokes about how people occupying a certain region feel about nuanced topics like queerness is one small part of how we got into this mess. anecdotally, i know queer palestinians and homophobic israelis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

I'm outta the loop except my friend was just protesting against netanyahu in jaffa a week or two ago. loved to see it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

I just don't talk about Israel/Palestine with gentiles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

yeah we don't have special protections but I understand folks get frustrated with coordinated efforts to shut down any reasonable criticism of israel. just getting a little nervous here.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

folks were brown as hell when i visited israel last but my perspective may be skewed from living in oregon

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

ghetto being a term originally used to describe where cities forced their jews to live. human history always throwing out curve balls.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 6, 2022

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

exciting to see the big protests over there recently 🥹

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I liked the Yiddish Policeman's Union, a book set in an alternate history where a jewish nation state is founded in Alaska. It's a fun what if.

how'd the indigenous folks fare in that one? better than they have under america I'd hope 🥲

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah but that was a US thing at the height of
Idk about devout muslims but in the Talmud I'm pretty sure it says "don't breed pigs to be safe" but like you could have a pet pig and give it all the cuddles and be fine, and that's before people murdering you shoving pig carcass into your morgue slot. Why are these jews even having all these pig carcasses?

Talmud is fun stuff

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

naw it's not antisemitic to feel weird about folks who want a literal messiah to show up and/or have the 3rd temple built anytime soon

GoutPatrol posted:

Yes my sister also did it because hey, free trip. She said there wasn't a hard sell on actually moving there, but more like making sure you bring back a positive picture of, like, the IDF.

i had a nice time on the 30yo+ trip. my old brain could spot the propaganda better and i was able to be loudly gay and leftist at everyone. squeezing money from sheldon's withered body felt arguably ethical

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 4, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

our matzot were round and homemade and good as hell. chag pesach sameach to the I/P thread.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

kiminewt posted:

Eventually one of the guides took me aside to ask if I was forced to be here, because it seemed like I was just angry all the time 🤷‍♂️

i think having an Israeli around who seems angry all the time should be part of the experience

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

edit: ^^^ also what they said ^^^

I don't think I ever noticed before the magnitude of obfuscation and media focus on what i consider pretty unnecessary topics in the bigger picture. It feels like half the poo poo I see is clickbait about beheaded barbecued babies or evil tunnel networks.

can't everyone just accept that many babies have been killed and tunnels exist and get back to working for peace?? can we please stop getting lost in the details to try and justify daily mass murders?? anyways I'm still tired. Hoping, against all odds, that the ceasefire holds and is extended indefinitely.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 23, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

a one state solution does not equate to ethnically cleansing jewish Israeli's either way, that's Zionist propaganda. There's enough room in Palestine for all people to coexist. There is NOT room for an apartheid state.

this. also applicable to the world at large.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

what's the main issue with briahna joy gray's post? something about victims of sexual violence being silenced by the israeli govt or what? batya ungar-sargon has been saying ghoulish things for years. or is jayapal being called a shithead?

(having trouble with reading comprehension today)

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 5, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Flopsy posted:

She's saying Hamas doesn't use systematic rape as a means of war. And that all other testimony and forensic evidence otherwise is suspect.

Oh, I'm just reading it as a correction regarding the meaning of "believe women" being misused by Ungar-Sargon as some anti woke gotcha. I don't know too much about what sexual violence occured on 10/7. I'm assuming there was some since it was male fighters and that's what they tend to do.

As important as getting a clear idea of what happened on 10/7 is, I still think media arguments about rape and baby beheadings distracts from the bigger picture of ending systematic and direct violence towards people stuck in Gaza.

like even if every hamas guy was a dick-out robocop alleyway rapist, the ongoing violence against folks in gaza still isn't justified so i'm like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 5, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I don't think any of the violance is justified because both countries are at the mercy of their lovely governments but I especially hate it when war crimes are played down to make the other side look less dogshit.

I can appreciate that, thanks for clarifying. I guess I take it for granted that every war is mostly war crimes but then I might be pessimistic. I don't want any acts of violence to be hidden or understated, especially with the intention of maintaining some "this side does good war, this side does bad war" false binary.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

even if jews weren't connected to the land by blood, a lot of us would still argue connection to the land through history. that said, folks who have been living there for centuries can say the same thing so it doesn't matter who is "indigenous" by virtue of who was there first. there's also multiple definitions for what indigeneity means so like come on now.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

No one's connected to land by blood. That's not a thing.

it doesn't have to make sense for it to very much be a thing. see also: race

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

to be fair, Native people are still subject to systemic and direct violence in the united states but i understand the comparison to a whole different situation is fraught

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

and like it's been said many times regarding many sieges, many folks would rather go out with a blaze of violence rather than slow decay

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

Debating the morality of the Houthis is, ultimately, a useful distraction from discussing what’s happening in Gaza.

the straw hats are the only moral pirates and they support the Palestinian people

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

not a value-add posted:

I don’t understand how someone could join the armed forces of whatever nation they grew up in and not care about protecting citizens from harm. Imagine your parents getting kidnapped and instead of using intel for a rescue attempt your “defense force” uses the grid to incinerate them, all so they could kill a few extra five year olds sheltering in the basement. The conduct of the IDF is just so far gone from anything I’ve ever seen. America should’ve pulled the plug on this poo poo long ago.

it's worth watching interviews from American soldiers in Vietnam. if you can't find "the enemy," you kill the people you can find (five year olds).

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i wasn't aiming at the building, i was aiming through the bullding

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

yeah, i'm on the board at my synagogue but i'd be considered a kapo or some poo poo by right wing jews and them's the breaks. chag sameach. hope the freedom flotilla makes it over there safely.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Majorian posted:

Skip the "Crackhead Barney" interview (ie: up to 9:50); she's an idiot clout chaser, as Hasan correctly points out.

i'll do you one better and skip the entire video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

yeah, if we learned anything from the shoah on this day of remembrance, it's about the banality of evil and how any society is capable of committing atrocities with the right ingredients.