Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Dangit, too late.

Just had to include the first two keystrokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lady Naga posted:

Whenever I see a new post in the thread I'm like

For the record, any doubt I had about this LP was vanished at this moment.

Also, I found the conversation between Wesker and Chris if you're like me and want to actually hear what they say here

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I hope that this is used a lot during the LP.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

and people think that this series is stupid stupid :allears:

poo poo like that is why we're here playing through ALL of the games

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

This is a thing of beauty.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Okay I'll stop, I promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHU-9DPnhUo
Here's half an hour of us (horribly, sorry!) playing Sweet Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFqcDu285Rg
And here's the first update for Director's Cut Dualshock. I won't be pasting any notes for this run since they're identical to Chris'. Hopefully the Sweet Home gameplay persuades you to at least check out the game, it's a really interesting product.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I just caught up and I'm so glad you're doing this. :allears:
I've been wanting to know the pre-4 entries to the series but I didn't really know if I could play them since I have no idea how well they aged to someone who never played them originally.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Okay I'll stop, I promise.

nope. Never stop.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I kinda agree that sweet home doesn't make for good video. The last sslp of it was over 5 years ago. Maybe it's time to request someone take a new expert crack at it?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I hate to be "that guy" but your info on some changes in the Director's Cut releases are a bit mixed-up, in particular the Beretta stuff. I'm going to probably go a bit overboard here and explain some things you already know, but I can't stop myself because I'm a bit of a pedant and like to clear everything up where I can when it comes to this particular entry in the series, so don't take this longpost the wrong way or anything like that.

Okay, so the first obvious difference between DC and DCDS is the inclusion of that stellar replacement soundtrack in the latter, along with some rewording for each mode on the New Game menu:

Standard/Original is just that; the classic game, but at the original Japanese difficulty, as opposed to the US/EU version's amped-up "not in one rental" difficulty. Monsters are less inclined to be frustrating ammo sponges now (especially the Hunters, now dying in 2-3 shells instead of 4-5), and Ink Ribbon pickups give 3 ribbons instead of the stingy Western release's 2 ribbons. Training/Beginner is exactly what you mentioned in Part 9, essentially a "Babby's First Play" option of the original scenarios for newbies and players who struggle to understand how RE's "tank controls"* work.

Advanced/Arrange, with the new camera angles, item locations and monster health being set to the oh-so-familiar Western values, is the only mode though where the Beretta differences comes into play. First off is the cosmetic change (with the weapon now being a stainless 92FS "Inox"). With otherwise identical stats to the black 92F (same rate of fire, aimtime, capacity, blah blah blah), the only gameplay change to this weapon is indeed the random chance of scoring a headshot on zombies. There's nothing you can do to influence the chances of making their skull pop however, such as shooting when they have their back to you or by aiming up or any of that nonsense. And it's only an effect seen on zombies, with everything else -- even the lowly Cerberus -- behaving like they're being shot at with the basic 92F.

--and breathe--

So yeah. As a result of playing this game way too much for my own good, I hope I've cleared up any confusion over exactly what differences there are in and between the Director's Cut editions.

*(I've never understood how or why the controls in RE became so infamous for being "difficult" or "crappy". For a game with a frequently changing camera view of the player character, it always made perfect logical sense to me for them to behave the way they do.)

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 16, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Thanks for that, the original and the dualshock version are the only two I'm at all familiar with since I went ahead and skipped the director's cut version for years.

Jyrraeth posted:

I just caught up and I'm so glad you're doing this. :allears:
I've been wanting to know the pre-4 entries to the series but I didn't really know if I could play them since I have no idea how well they aged to someone who never played them originally.

For the record, I think they hold up really well! Fixed-camera survival horror games are a really interesting subgenre because they've been around for a little over two decades now and very little about them has changed, especially now that they aren't getting made any more (barring very few half-exceptions like Until Dawn). You could play Resident Evil (1996) and then immediately hop to something like Siren: Blood Curse and it wouldn't feel like the former has aged at all. They have a weird timeless charm to them that I absolutely adore.

If you're going to play the original though, definitely stick with non-Dualshock Director's Cut, or the DS port. Despite how not-bad I think the replacement soundtrack is I'd still recommend you enjoy the game in its original presentation, and the analog controls feel a little weird on a game that wasn't meant to have them.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 16, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah I believe PSN has the non-Dualshock Director's Cut for the price of like $5, or something like that. PSN is where I got 1, 2, and 3 and it wasn't until later that I found out about the DSDC music change and I was quite...amazed by it

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You can also play those versions on a PSP/Vita so I can do practice runs on the go!

Also the "problem" people have with tank controls is that left/right are relative to your character model, instead of the camera. This makes sense in a game with rapidly changing angles yes, but it's not at all how most modern games function so it takes some getting used to.

So uh, how do y'all feel about Call of Duty/Battlefield 4?

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
God drat it, I'm posting in a Resident Evil thread.

Lady Naga posted:

It's incredibly confusing and makes absolutely zero sense. Wesker used to work for Umbrella as a reasearcher, but then joined the STARS, but apparently he was a double-crosser? Or not, maybe. Wesker's most likely lying through his teeth so the best explanation I can give is that he's still on Umbrella's payroll and joined the STARS as a sleeper agent for decades so he could finally be promoted to a leadership role so he could sabotage the STARS just in case they might someday investigate the secret mansion lab that Umbrella owns. The timescale is really confusing and honestly the plot in this game does not matter at all because it all gets retconned 5 installments later.

The original game's manual mentions that Wesker was the founder of the STARS in 1996, two years before the events of the game, because Raccoon City needed a small, heavily-armed, militarized counter-terrorism task force.

RE2 goes on to establish that Raccoon City's chief of police is Umbrella's personal hand puppet, so he would've agreed to anything the company suggested, and that most of the "counter-terrorism" to be done in Raccoon City was most likely corporate espionage against Umbrella and/or fallout from its experiments.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Wanderer posted:

God drat it, I'm posting in a Resident Evil thread.

The original game's manual mentions that Wesker was the founder of the STARS in 1996, two years before the events of the game, because Raccoon City needed a small, heavily-armed, militarized counter-terrorism task force.

RE2 goes on to establish that Raccoon City's chief of police is Umbrella's personal hand puppet, so he would've agreed to anything the company suggested, and that most of the "counter-terrorism" to be done in Raccoon City was most likely corporate espionage against Umbrella and/or fallout from its experiments.

The second thing is also brought up in the Wesker Report, but the thing about him founding STARS isn't ever mentioned again I don't think so I'm not sure if it's still canon with the REmake retcon.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Nah, since REmake happened, Wesker's original involvement in creating S.T.A.R.S. hasn't been canon. That was simply retconned at some point to just be "stuff the R.P.D. made to combat crime & terrorism, part-funded by Umbrella" (which makes sense when you consider Chief Irons and his involvement in everything).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The question is: what new, exciting retcons will REmake 2 give us?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The only retcon I'd want is some way to actually make the scenario events consistent with canon. So not really a retcon as such, but less of the open-ended nonsense which will have to be handwaved away without a real explanation at some point down the line.

That being said, I'm already expecting something weird to happen which will undoubtedly gently caress with what we already 'know'. Like how a particular addition to REmake did the very same thing.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I dunno, I'm really curious as to what they're going to do with it. The first Remake exists mostly because they wanted to square away all the weird little things in the first game with the rest of the series, but with REmake 2 it seems like they're just doing it to mine nostalgia while also seeing whether or not people would be willing to accept a revival of the old style RE games. I feel like it probably won't be nearly as huge a change as REmake is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I would expect it to be a largely faithful high-definition remake in the spirit of the original "REmake," which changes surprisingly little, although I wouldn't be sad to see them address some of the complications and plot holes that later games would either introduce or make worse.

Raccoon City in RE2 looks like a one-horse town but is basically the Japanese version of Omaha by RE3/Outbreak. It also made increasingly less sense as later games evolved the Raccoon City situation that both Claire and Leon could get all the way into the middle of town without knowing something was going on, even if it was the middle of the night. Half the city's on fire.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I wish they'd do 2 and 3 at the same time to make their incredibly confusing simultaneous timeline bullhonkey make sense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I wish they'd do 2 and 3 at the same time to make their incredibly confusing simultaneous timeline bullhonkey make sense.

It's really not that confusing.

RE3, up until Jill gets knocked out after the fight at the Clock Tower: September 28th
RE2: September 29th
RE3, Jill wakes up and escapes the city: October 1st

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Jill goes to the clock tower and then all of a sudden someone madly wanders around the police precinct tearing down boarded doors and putting statues and keys everywhere.

Irons decides to wander back from whatever he was doing before too.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Jill goes to the clock tower and then all of a sudden someone madly wanders around the police precinct tearing down boarded doors and putting statues and keys everywhere.

Just make it Resident Evil 2&3- Jill's the only playable character until the clock tower, then Leon and Claire get unlocked. :v:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

apostateCourier posted:

Just make it Resident Evil 2&3- Jill's the only playable character until the clock tower, then Leon and Claire get unlocked. :v:

This actually wouldn't be too bad an idea, unless you completely remake 3 it'll still feel like the sidegame it's supposed to be at the end of the day anyway.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

On that topic of boarded-up doorways and locked doors, I used to tell my dumb friend that putting either RE2 disc in the PlayStation when playing RE3 would unlock all the rooms in the RPD, as long as it was during a door load sequence while going back into the main hall. On multiple occasions the dumbass was there for several minutes looking at a black screen and waiting for something cosmic and incredible to happen, while I sat behind him trying desperately to keep a straight face through his confusion.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lady Naga posted:

Somebody's forgotten Resident Evil Outbreak, that game had a mission where you were inside the Police Station as well, try fitting that into the timeline nicely. :v:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

On that topic of boarded-up doorways and locked doors, I used to tell my dumb friend that putting either RE2 disc in the PlayStation when playing RE3 would unlock all the rooms in the RPD, as long as it was during a door load sequence while going back into the main hall. On multiple occasions the dumbass was there for several minutes looking at a black screen and waiting for something cosmic and incredible to happen, while I sat behind him trying desperately to keep a straight face through his confusion.

At least you didn't tell him Akuma was in the game.

Judge Tesla posted:

Somebody's forgotten Resident Evil Outbreak, that game had a mission where you were inside the Police Station as well, try fitting that into the timeline nicely. :v:

I loving geeked out so hard when Outbreak had a police station level.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Try fitting Outbreak as a whole into the timeline nicely! No don't it can't be done at all any serious attempt will drive you insane Although I forgive it for being all over the place anyway because the "Below Freezing Point" scenario had me grinning like a Cheshire cat all the way through. A location from RE2 and the most infamous monsters in the RE series, together? IN ONE PLACE?

gently caress that revisit to the Raccoon City hospital though. loving leechman.

Lady Naga posted:

At least you didn't tell him Akuma was in the game.
Oh gently caress, I thought I'd never read about this again!

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 17, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Try fitting Outbreak as a whole into the timeline nicely! No don't it can't be done at all any serious attempt will drive you insane Although I forgive it for being all over the place anyway because the "Below Freezing Point" scenario had me grinning like a Cheshire cat all the way through. A location from RE2 and the most infamous monsters in the RE series, together? IN ONE PLACE?

gently caress that revisit to the Raccoon City hospital though. loving leechman.

Outbreak is one of the sidegames we might actually play to completion because of how much I love it. "Multiplayer (sorta) multi-mission campaign PS2 canon Resident Evil game" fits nicely into my niche of enjoying the weirdest stuff possible.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

If you absolutely have to reconcile the boarded-up doors and replaced statuary, there's a file in RE2 that mentions Irons is absolutely obsessed with the arrangement of his weird art collection, to the point where he berated a secretary who knocked a painting askew. I find it entirely believable that, in the 24 hours or so between Jill entering the building and Claire/Leon A, Irons showed back up and spent the entire time sleeplessly replacing his decorations and cleaning up the debris.

Still, the RE2/RE3 continuity, such as it is, runs on broad strokes more than anything else. The boards on the doors are quick-and-dirty visual shorthand for "you can't go through here," and would no doubt have been handled a bit more elegantly if RE3 hadn't been made in such a hurry. (Code: Veronica was supposed to be RE3, but it switched platforms early on, so RE3 was raced into production to fill a hole in the schedule.) In File #2, when you revisit the RPD, your lack of access to the west side of the building is explained as the electronic lock system being engaged.

Try fitting Outbreak as a whole into the timeline nicely! No don't it can't be done at all any serious attempt will drive you insane

The game deliberately avoids too much in the way of landmarks, and the shifting cast means it's more of a series of vignettes than anything else, but of the scenarios that involve previous locations, you can fit them into the timeline reasonably easily. "Below Freezing Point," for example, is super early in the outbreak timeline, and probably isn't more than a day or two after the initial attack. "Desperate Times" in File #2 finishes up before Jill gets there, and most of "The Hive" in the first game is set in parts of the hospital that Carlos never visits in RE3.

One of the biggest problems it presents is how it continues to add onto the timeline of the Raccoon City outbreak and the status of the city itself, which goes from a tiny town to a suburb to an actual city over the course of four games. By the end of File #2, Raccoon City has a reasonably big university, a subway system, a zoo, and a multi-floor corporate laboratory in the middle of town that looks like the inside of a Star Destroyer. If they ever get around to releasing the extra scenarios that are supposedly in a Capcom vault somewhere, I expect Raccoon City will end up with several skyscrapers, a football stadium, an airport, and a space elevator.

Really, though, the two big issues with this series are that it doesn't explain many of its details in anything close to a linear fashion, since its original creator didn't care in the least about that sort of thing, and that its fans tend to write it all off as making no sense without actually looking to see if that's the case. Most of the big mysteries and continuity snarls in the series are more or less explained at this point, but the answers are never anywhere where an average person would think to look.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

Outbreak is one of the sidegames we might actually play to completion because of how much I love it. "Multiplayer (sorta) multi-mission campaign PS2 canon Resident Evil game" fits nicely into my niche of enjoying the weirdest stuff possible.

It (being File 1 and File 2) really is a bit of a hidden gem in many ways. Lacks the overall polish and cohesion of the main titles (for obvious reasons, having to account for so many ingame possibilities on any given scenario), but it's certainly a more competent product than virtually any other of the minor titles.

...and now I have remembered the horror that is Survivor 2. You're giving that one a miss, right? You know, for sanity reasons.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

It (being File 1 and File 2) really is a bit of a hidden gem in many ways. Lacks the overall polish and cohesion of the main titles (for obvious reasons, having to account for so many ingame possibilities on any given scenario), but it's certainly a more competent product than virtually any other of the minor titles.

...and now I have remembered the horror that is Survivor 2. You're giving that one a miss, right? You know, for sanity reasons.

The Code Veronica one? Or are you talking about Dead Aim? Because we are absolutely playing Dead Aim from start to finish. It must be shown to the world.

Wanderer posted:

If you absolutely have to reconcile the boarded-up doors and replaced statuary, there's a file in RE2 that mentions Irons is absolutely obsessed with the arrangement of his weird art collection, to the point where he berated a secretary who knocked a painting askew. I find it entirely believable that, in the 24 hours or so between Jill entering the building and Claire/Leon A, Irons showed back up and spent the entire time sleeplessly replacing his decorations and cleaning up the debris.

Still, the RE2/RE3 continuity, such as it is, runs on broad strokes more than anything else. The boards on the doors are quick-and-dirty visual shorthand for "you can't go through here," and would no doubt have been handled a bit more elegantly if RE3 hadn't been made in such a hurry. (Code: Veronica was supposed to be RE3, but it switched platforms early on, so RE3 was raced into production to fill a hole in the schedule.) In File #2, when you revisit the RPD, your lack of access to the west side of the building is explained as the electronic lock system being engaged.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm totally not missing the forest for the trees here. Continuity matters about as little to me as it possibly could. It's still kind of fun to point these things out though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
If they released the Outbreak games on Steam, I'd snatch that poo poo right up.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Lady Naga posted:

For the record, I think they hold up really well! Fixed-camera survival horror games are a really interesting subgenre because they've been around for a little over two decades now and very little about them has changed, especially now that they aren't getting made any more (barring very few half-exceptions like Until Dawn). You could play Resident Evil (1996) and then immediately hop to something like Siren: Blood Curse and it wouldn't feel like the former has aged at all. They have a weird timeless charm to them that I absolutely adore.

If you're going to play the original though, definitely stick with non-Dualshock Director's Cut, or the DS port. Despite how not-bad I think the replacement soundtrack is I'd still recommend you enjoy the game in its original presentation, and the analog controls feel a little weird on a game that wasn't meant to have them.

Maybe all the people who've told me tank controls suck played the dual shock version, anyways? Not sure. Regardless, I'm not afraid of bad/weird controls (Dwarf fortress comes to mind) as long as I'm allowed to pause often. I'll probably pick up the DS version one of these days, or maybe get a Vita eventually.

The only other Survival Horror games I've played were... about 30 minutes into the PS2 Siren and (all paths of) Eternal Darkness. Don't remember anything about either of them, except for scaring my friends with them, hehe.

I kind of like how messed up the canon from what I've heard of RE2/3 in general. Makes it kind of feel like its people remembering events and someone piecing them together into a story instead of some omniscient narrator telling you exactly how things went.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

REmake 2, instead of including a new boss that fills a similar role to Nemesis (wait a minute, Mr. X already fills that role what am I saying) we spend the time going around the precinct with it somehow always getting boarded up in weird ways that they weren't before. Imagine meeting Irons and Claire responds instead of "hey you're the creep the secretary was referring to in her diary" with "hey, you're the rear end in a top hat who keeps boarding up doorways :mad:".

Failing that I will settle for a file from Rebecca saying "gently caress you and your lovely police force, I'm crossing the ocean away from this madness"

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

One of the biggest problems it presents is how it continues to add onto the timeline of the Raccoon City outbreak and the status of the city itself, which goes from a tiny town to a suburb to an actual city over the course of four games.

Well, poo poo. I never really gave this any thought but you're absolutely right. Even by RE2 alone it broke itself in the space of practically no time at all. The intro describes Raccoon City as "a suburb". The rest of the intro... yeah. Leon's driving in a straight line for a good few minutes, down two roads that clearly aren't suburban, and he's doing a decent 40mph both times!

Suburbs in Raccoon City are just different, I suppose.

Lady Naga posted:

The Code Veronica one? Or are you talking about Dead Aim? Because we are absolutely playing Dead Aim from start to finish. It must be shown to the world.
The Code Veronica one. That just doesn't seem worth it; besides being a truly awful game (with some admittedly comical moments), it doesn't even recap Code Veronica properly because it's stupid and poo poo and uses that lazy loving "just a dream" trope. On the other hand, I'm actually completely blind to Dead Aim after the first few minutes, so I'm genuinely curious as to how that one pans out!

Lady Naga posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm totally not missing the forest for the trees here. Continuity matters about as little to me as it possibly could. It's still kind of fun to point these things out though.
I could talk about the RE games all day just to pick apart silly details, and never tire of it. I think something's wrong with me.

Leavemywife posted:

If they released the Outbreak games on Steam, I'd snatch that poo poo right up.
gently caress yes. I'd love it if this happened. I'm also sitting here waiting for the day that Code Veronica gets a PC remaster release through Steam, but I won't hold my breath.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Well, poo poo. I never really gave this any thought but you're absolutely right. Even by RE2 alone it broke itself in the space of practically no time at all. The intro describes Raccoon City as "a suburb". The rest of the intro... yeah. Leon's driving in a straight line for a good few minutes, down two roads that clearly aren't suburban, and he's doing a decent 40mph both times!

The Code Veronica one. That just doesn't seem worth it; besides being a truly awful game (with some admittedly comical moments), it doesn't even recap Code Veronica properly because it's stupid and poo poo and uses that lazy loving "just a dream" trope.

Oh poo poo really? I never played that far into it. Anyway, this is a "play all the RE games" lp, and aside from games I can't get to because of tech issues (Mercenaries 3D) we're playing them all. We'll give Survivor 2 the usual thirty minute view while we talk about other things.

On the other hand, I'm actually completely blind to Dead Aim after the first few minutes, so I'm genuinely curious as to how that one pans out!

Please God if you take one thing from me do not spoil yourself on a single minute of Dead Aim, I hope I'm not hyping it up too much but lord is it ever a trip.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There's a site full of serious RE grognards called Project Umbrella, and on there, there's a guy who makes a case given the geography of the area that Raccoon City could be in southwestern Missouri, near the Ozarks, making it a suburb of Springfield, as it's one of the few places in the Midwest where you could hope to find a mountain range, a big river, and a large forest near each other.

It wouldn't be deliberate on Capcom's part, but I lived in Missouri for several years, so I could see them stubbornly continuing to refer to a city that's roughly the same size and an hour away as a "suburb" of Springfield. It'd be kind of a funny regional in-joke, since people in Missouri have to drive for forty minutes to get anywhere.

I guess Fire Zone got a European PS2 release, back when there was still some faint hope that light-gun games would make a comeback on home systems, so it's not entirely impossible. I never got around to playing it, but I was given to understand it was pretty difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I still remember my dad getting Time Crisis 4 for the PS3. It had these awful little LED lamps that were finicky and terrible and the controller wasn't useful for any other game.

• Locked thread