Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's good to have this back. I missed having a GH day-by-day to read over lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey does seem to have a bit of bad luck when it comes to attacking Pearl.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
If Grey didn't remember to cancel the I-400 I'll take it as my lucky ship, if he did, I'll take the SS Shad as my ship again.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 8, 2015

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
It's back! I'll skip calling you mad Grey, you've probably heard that enough over the past few years. Oh, and Jobbo, put me down for the HMS Valiant.

...what? I claimed it last time, and I like to stick with what worked (she didn't get sunk in the last Japanese LP :colbert:)

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Put me down for HMS Warspite as my lucky ship, please!

Looking forward to once again having one of your amazing grognard threads to check during lunch every day.

Hamilcar
Oct 18, 2012
It's happening! This is going to be a glorious couple of years. I'd like to claim the CL Jintsū.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I'll take the "Fighting I" Intrepid CV-11. I can wait two years for it to show up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hurray! My favorite thread is back! Good luck Grey!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:aaaaa:

Well I'll be up for the HMNZS Leander. Good luck Grey Hunter!

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015
I've always known it - the P-36 was a better fighter than the P-40 - particularly the P-40 "E" version. The P-36 could well be adjusted somewhat for maneuverability and climb in the Editor. The 41/42 models were lighter than the later models.

Fred

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Put me down for CL Tenryuu as my lucky ship. Pretty much the same ship I picked in the last game before GH's PC decided to die on him.

Hopefully it'd do better than it did historically and survive past '42.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'll take the sister ship the CL Tatsuta.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2015

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'd like to make USS Barb my lucky ship.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

How did I not notice this yesterday? Good to see you keeping things traditional by starting off the war with a new British reef right off the bat.

As for lucky ships, I call the USS Wahoo. Too bad WITP doesn't model attacks on trawlers with Molotov cocktails.

LeadSled fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 9, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Drone posted:

If there were just one thing I'd bother complaining about in your otherwise stellar LP's, it's this. I like not knowing for sure if a ship has been sunk, since the game has a built-in unreliability to it for the first few weeks/months after seeing a battle result. I mean in the real war, the Enterprise was reported sunk by the Japanese newspapers like six times.

This was actually an American Strategy, or at least this line of thought; they reused ship names. For example, the Yorktown was sunk at Midway after a lengthy career of punching the Japanese in the face up and down the Pacific. She was succeeded by the, well, Yorktown, a later model of carrier. This was rather confusing to Japanese Intelligence reports and also extremely demoralizing. "Wait, I thought we sunk that one?!" etc.

Now, of course, the BIG E never actually sunk, but it was still a thing.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Very excited for this! I'll take DD Le Triomphant :france:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Very happy to see GH make another run at the Imperial version. Hopefully the little tyke doesn't torpedo his run.

Looks like the USS Hornet (CV-8) is unclaimed, I'll claim that plucky ship. Let's see if Grey can sink her before she bombs the home islands.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

This was actually an American Strategy, or at least this line of thought; they reused ship names. For example, the Yorktown was sunk at Midway after a lengthy career of punching the Japanese in the face up and down the Pacific. She was succeeded by the, well, Yorktown, a later model of carrier. This was rather confusing to Japanese Intelligence reports and also extremely demoralizing. "Wait, I thought we sunk that one?!" etc.

Re-using ship names is a pretty common practice? Although what must be really demoralizing is that by 1944, the US had run out of pre-war battles to name carriers after and was starting to use the names of battles from earlier in the war.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Peanut3141 posted:

Very happy to see GH make another run at the Imperial version. Hopefully the little tyke doesn't torpedo his run.

Looks like the USS Hornet (CV-8) is unclaimed, I'll claim that plucky ship. Let's see if Grey can sink her before she bombs the home islands.

With any luck, the kid'll use American fish.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lenoon posted:

We're back! Well done Grey on both the baby and the WiTP fronts. Looking forward to another incredible ride. maybe I'll even write up history posts as we go along this time

I'd like to claim the mightily lovely HMS Hermes - long may she remain largely ineffective!

Hermes was already claimed.

chrisoya posted:

It's me, I'm the CV-not-appearing-in-this-LP Aso.

I'll miss a few days and the mounting backlog will make catching up impossible, so I won't be here even for the last stages of the war.

It won't exist in this timeline, do you want to pick something else?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Is this a claim? Because its already taken.

Please disregard if it is merely my lack of sleep.

If I missed anyone so far, apologies. I think I got everyone so far...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If I missed anyone so far, apologies. I think I got everyone so far...

I just got really confused looking at your database, thinking it was really wrong.

Then I rembered I did the turn for the 15th this morning.

I'm living in the future people. We have hoverboards.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
American carriers confirmed for sunk

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

American carriers confirmed for sunk

Wait, I'm supposed to sink American ships this time around? Not the Japanese.

I thought this was going too well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aw yes, super pumped for this :dance:

For my lucky ship I'll take CVL Taiyo please, unless it's already taken.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Grey Hunter posted:

Wait, I'm supposed to sink American ships this time around? Not the Japanese.

I thought this was going too well.

Old habits die hard

much like Battleship Row :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

Old habits die hard

much like Battleship Row :v:

I have poor luck at Pearl it seems, lets see what happens when more complete data comes in - I may have sunk things, but the Americans are not telling anyone.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

I have poor luck at Pearl it seems, lets see what happens when more complete data comes in - I may have sunk things, but the Americans are not telling anyone.

Dammit Grey you had one job, "a date which will live in infamy" is that so much to ask?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'd like to claim HMAS Canberra. Lets hope if she gets sunk it's by Japanese Torpedo's and not (probably) American ones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm very pumped up for this after hearing so much about the first one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

I'd like to claim HMAS Canberra. Lets hope if she gets sunk it's by Japanese Torpedo's and not (probably) American ones.

I'm fairly confident we won't see American torpedoes sinking anything for quite a while yet :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ikasuhito posted:

Dammit Grey you had one job, "a date which will live in infamy" is that so much to ask?

I think I have a death star or two lying around here somewhere.....

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Clunk! A hit but no explosion! Is going to suddenly be something we look forward to and that's going to take some time to adjust to

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It won't exist in this timeline, do you want to pick something else?
It is truly unsinkable, and its absencegracious and honourable donation of its resources to other ships contributes directly to the war effort, thus allowing me to claim credit for literally anything good that happens.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

lenoon posted:

Clunk! A hit but no explosion! Is going to suddenly be something we look forward to and that's going to take some time to adjust to

The downside is that this time it will be us on the receiving end of those crack Dutch submarine skippers.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

chrisoya posted:

It is truly unsinkable, and its absencegracious and honourable donation of its resources to other ships contributes directly to the war effort, thus allowing me to claim credit for literally anything good that happens.

Any time a ship breaks down or its hull unexpectedly ruptures on impact we're gonna blame chrisoya's lovely ship poo poo, you know that, right?

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I guess I'll be a nag since no one else is saying anything. Are you backing up these saves, Grey?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Rexim posted:

I guess I'll be a nag since no one else is saying anything. Are you backing up these saves, Grey?

YES!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

I hope you also took into account your previous attempt and will hopefully plan ahead?

I seem to remember a quagmire with no end in sight at Singapore.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

On of our invasion convoys is buzzed by American destroyers.

We still land troops on the mainland however.

Another invasion ship is hit by a torpedo, thankfully it fails to go off.

A few hours later, another ship hears a “clunk” followed by a distinct but muffled “DAMMIT!” from beneath the waves.

Our cruisers find those two destroyers, who are surprised by our presence. The Pillsbury is hit hard and sunk.

The Pope flees, into the jaws of another task force that deals with her.

The bombers go inland to soften up the next target.

We land troops in the French holdings in China.

Here we take our first ship damage.

Our subs begin to choke off Hawaii.

Troops land at Wake.

The meagre American defence cannot hold us for even a day.

We continue to bomb around Malaya.

The Kongo was attacked, but she was not hit.

We get some Nates up in the afternoon to deal with the next wave.

Just as well it seems!

We hit Tarawa today. It is unoccupied and we take it with the loss of ten men injured during landing operations.

A good day, we take two bases with minimal losses, and sink two enemy destroyers!

Still no American battleships – an no points for the British ones yet!

Well, there's always tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
DD Helm sunk eh?

:allears: Shine on you crazy intelligence reports