Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Whew, the Kongo is safe. Would have been embarrassing to get some major damage or sinkage on Day 3.

Were there any times in the past LPs where somebody's boat got taken out really early, and not just because it was expected like the Repulse or the Prince of Wales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Gonna claim the CA Suzuya as my lucky ship!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Takanago posted:

Whew, the Kongo is safe. Would have been embarrassing to get some major damage or sinkage on Day 3.

Were there any times in the past LPs where somebody's boat got taken out really early, and not just because it was expected like the Repulse or the Prince of Wales?

I think someone lost the Enterprise once. Can't remember who or where though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Takanago posted:

I didn't keep the sunk dates, unfortunately (or they were unconfirmed).

2014-2015 WitP game

The first non-Repulse/Prince of Wales kill was suspected to be the USS Lexington after a fuel store exploded via torpedo by SS I-168 on the 16th of December 1941. (Edit: I think Grey got the points for it, but intel reports didn't confirm it at the time)

The first confirmed kills were a tie between CL De Ruyter and CL Java who caught an amphibious TF and sunk enough ships to cause 1600 casualties, before being eliminated by an IJN TF that intercepted(?) them on the 23rd of December 1941.

Lexington was chosen by apseudonym

De Ruyter was chosen by Tevery Best

Java was chosen by Koesj

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Saint Celestine posted:

I seem to remember a quagmire with no end in sight at Singapore.

This is by design.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Gotta get in on this one. Sign me up for the Heavy Cruiser USS San Francisco please.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take the USS Pensacola (CA-42) if it's available.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nice job capturing Wake!

If I remember right the default forces assigned to Wake usually aren't enough to take it on the first try.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Does the Monsoon Group show up in this game? If so, give me U-178

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Arbite posted:

Also, since we're not grandfathering in last year's choices, BB Mutsu. . I've got a lucky feeling about her.

drat you! Was looking forward to claim it for the third WitP LP in a row (both the previous ones were abandoned). :argh:

I guess I'll call the CL Sendai instead, since it seems to be the heaviest IJN ship left according to the Google sheet.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 10, 2015

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

drat you! Was looking forward to claim it for the third WitP LP in a row (both the previous ones were abandoned). :argh:

Don't look at me! I wanted Nagato for the third WITP LP in row!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Grey really needs to hit Singers with everything he's got this time so we don't get held up there.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah Grey really needs to hit Singers with everything he's got this time so we don't get held up there.

Yeah, if the allied player manages to get supplies in to Singapore, it can be tough to take. There are also allied transports that start the game en-route to Singapore full of troops - these shouldn't be allowed to reach their destination.One of the smart things that Saros did in our PBEM is quickly shut off my access to Singapore. If Grey moves aggressively to get air dominance, he can shut off all naval access to the DEI, which will help it topple faster.

Since Grey is playing vs AI, he can afford to be much more aggressive. The AI won't concentrate it's carriers as well as a player will, which means that he can divide the KB early game and still be unchallenged in naval air power.

For the Japanese player in 1941 early 1942, it's all about tempo. They have a limited window in which their amphibious bonus is active, but during that time they can set some ambitious goals for themselves. Right now Grey needs to make a list of what he wants to take, and then allocate the troops to take it. There aren't too many goals that are off limits vs the AI, as if he accompanies his invasion force with the KB, the allies simply cannot contest the landing by sea. It's sometimes better as the Japanese player to take a string of bases allowing clear supply lines to their furthest away targets, and then back-fill the rest later. There are a lot of bases in Borneo, New Guinea and the Celebes that, cut off, the allies can't do much with, and that the Japanese player can afford to bypass.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paradigmblue posted:

There aren't too many goals that are off limits vs the AI, as if he accompanies his invasion force with the KB, the allies simply cannot contest the landing by sea. It's sometimes better as the Japanese player to take a string of bases allowing clear supply lines to their furthest away targets, and then back-fill the rest later.

Diego Garcia or bust!

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Full on invasion of Hawaii, calling it now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BgRdMchne posted:

Does the Monsoon Group show up in this game? If so, give me U-178

Not as far as I know, no.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I would like to call CVE Gambier Bay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donkringel posted:

I would like to call CVE Gambier Bay.

A fan of Taffy 3, huh? Good choice.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I know there's an event that triggers in the event the Japanese make landfall on the US West Coast (Patton shows up to wreck some poo poo). Is there something similar if the Japanese player invades Australia or India? I remember steinrokkan had invaded about 1/2 of Australia in his last LP attempt, but I don't recall if there was any kind of scripted thing to make it harder for him.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Drone posted:

So I know there's an event that triggers in the event the Japanese make landfall on the US West Coast (Patton shows up to wreck some poo poo). Is there something similar if the Japanese player invades Australia or India? I remember steinrokkan had invaded about 1/2 of Australia in his last LP attempt, but I don't recall if there was any kind of scripted thing to make it harder for him.

I believe it was said in that thread that it doesn't trigger until you reach the SE Australia, so what steinrokkan did was just about the extent of it before triggering anything extra.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeh. no-one cares about WA or Darwin etc

Also, Fiji or bust!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, there are also special emergency reinforcements that are triggered when you cross a certain point of Australia, or land in New Zealand, or cross a certain point in India.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You know, I think for all that we like to tease Grey about spectacular plans that just somehow don't come to fruition (remember Iwo Jima?), there were some outrageously ballsy plays in the first WITP. Operation Castration, carriers duking it out about 10k from land based fighters, taking out a fleet carrier and then casually sauntering home to Sydney springs to mind. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, that is.

Grey+the ridiculous combined power of the Kido Butai is a recipe for insane antics, and we certainly shouldn't seek to restrain any and all (especially if they're ever so slightly ill-thought through) schemes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

lenoon posted:

You know, I think for all that we like to tease Grey about spectacular plans that just somehow don't come to fruition (remember Iwo Jima?), there were some outrageously ballsy plays in the first WITP. Operation Castration, carriers duking it out about 10k from land based fighters, taking out a fleet carrier and then casually sauntering home to Sydney springs to mind. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, that is.

Grey+the ridiculous combined power of the Kido Butai is a recipe for insane antics, and we certainly shouldn't seek to restrain any and all (especially if they're ever so slightly ill-thought through) schemes.

As long as he resists the temptation to split up the Kido Butai. There's a pretty huge difference in doctrine between the Allied and Japanese sides in WitP.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Grey, giant wrecking ball kido butai and the search for a decisive battle are like peas in a pod

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lenoon posted:

Grey, giant wrecking ball kido butai and the search for a decisive battle are like peas in a pod

:black101: SINK ALL DA SHIPPIES :black101:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sink all the enemy shippies, sir, the enemy shippies. Our shippies like being unsunk.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Oh, that's fine, Grey just needs to wait for the "repair" teams to work their magic on our own shippies when damaged. Needs no effort from him :downs:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Americans try and sneak four battleships out of Pearl Harbour. We torpedo one of them twice. We must NOW get a kill, surely!

No! Target one of the other ones!

The West Virginia is missing. Could it be one of those identifications was wrong and we torpedoed two separate ships?

The Batan force Island hops south.

We take more heavy losses here.

Appari is now ours, and wave two is hitting the beaches.

We continue this one-two with a landing at Legaspi.

We land troops to the north of Borneo.

Owch, that's a few less airframes.

Vildebeest's are one of two aircraft I fear at this time – the other being the Swordfish. There are not many of them, but they punch well above their weight.

They return in the afternoon to do some more damage.

Taking out a B-17 is actually quite a feat in these days.

American Carrier spotted!

We are losing a number of airframes.

Five American battleships appear on the kill list, but we only see a 162 point jump in the allied ship losses chart – but still, if this is true, then we have done a good job!

The Kido Butai is ordered to move to the Marshall islands to try and catch that American carrier. If we can sink one early, we can help ourselves massively.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The early Allied air power seems a lot more effective this time around. Still, let's hope those battleships are actually down now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Get that goddamn carrier.

What are we betting, Enterprise or Lexington?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Get that goddamn carrier.

What are we betting, Enterprise or Lexington?

Saratoga :black101:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
God, if Grey nails the Enterprise four days into the war ...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Can I grab the SS Narwhals because it's swimming in the ocean and causing a commotion because it is so awesome.

I hear it would beat a polar bear in a fight and can even stop Cthulu eating ye.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

God, if Grey nails the Enterprise four days into the war ...

Is everybody's shivving thing still on the table?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Claiming USS Alabama (BB-60)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, didn't get on quite at ground floor for this LP, but close enough. And always fun watching Grey Hunter LPs, and him obliterate his own fleet gloriously lead the nation he skillfully chose to complete victory.

As for a lucky ship, let's go with IJN Shigure. Maybe we can be even luckier than the real one.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

Is everybody's shivving thing still on the table?

I've not seen brooklin bruiser in ages.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Grey Hunter posted:

I've not seen brooklin bruiser in ages.

Have you checked behind your living room curtain? :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is no way all those battleships have been sunk. I refuse to believe it.

It would be nice if we could bag that carrier though.