Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

These LPs started when I was in undergrad and ended years after I got my PhD. I'm not sure what I'm going to do without daily updates.

Of course, I thought the same thing when the Allied LP ended...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

September, 1945.

Having just flown back from the humiliating armistice signing at Pearl Harbor, President Truman shares a smirk with his gathered advisors. The imprisoned generals and admirals will be well rewarded for their troubles and their dedication to keeping America's biggest secret, a massive project representing the pinnacle of American military might and scientific achievement. Soon.... soon they will be vindicated and the same jeering mobs burning the country down in their anger at the dozens of unused CV's (or are they?) in San Francisco Bay will be singing the government's praises. The President issues a single, brief order to his commanders, no louder than a whisper: "San Francisco Bay Fortress.... assemble"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Is it possible to tell in the game where the nukes are?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
:five:

Good show, Grey. A shame about the AI, but it hardly takes away from the utter madness of doing this for eight years.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the one hand, a Japanese victory would be a catastrophe.

On the other hand, a MacArthur suicide...

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been following these since the destruction of the British Navy! Excellent work Grey!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE ARE RPT WHERE ARE US CARRIERS RR THE WORLD WONDERS

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm going to miss these updates. Sure the AI and a bunch of other stuff in this game is broken as hell, but this LP was a special experience to watch. Thanks, Grey Hunter.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gg go next.

Except the opposite of that, obviously.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Thanks for doing this mammoth LP a third time! You're quite likely one of a single-digit number of people to play through to September 1945!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm in awe at the level of perseverance to complete both LPs, especially the latter phase of this one. Thanks for the threads Grey, it's been a real treat to follow these.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It would be fascinating to listen to a discussion between Grey and Matrix about their games. Thank You you divine fool.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Thanks for putting up with the game for us Grey.

Grey, how big is your deputy at this point?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

First post December 7th 2015. :wow:

Thanks, Grey!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Another years long LP down. What a legend.

So this is where you start a Distant Worlds LP as Greater Japan right?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bravo Grey! It would have been tough to stick with it this long knowing the AI was retardedly broken.

VX-145
Oct 29, 2012
Congratulations on finishing, Grey!

I've been following along with these since about 2011/12ish, and it's been interesting watching them develop - especially this one, where a) we had the Battleship Supremacy timeline, and b) I got in early enough to claim a lucky ship - even if mine didn't show up at all past December 1941.

Shame about the absolutely atrocious Allied AI; does anyone have any theories as to why the hell all the American carriers are in Seattle and San Francisco? Or where the nuclear squadron(s) are?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The AI is really lovely (shocker, I know) and basically runs on a handful of very narrowly defined scripts for where and how to attack. The scripts are, of course, themselves poorly written with all sorts of weird triggers to try and make the AI act roughly historically, which means that e.g. if the AI gets hung up on the "attack Rabaul" script it'll just keep sailing a handful of transports into Rabaul every couple months for five years and never try to attack somewhere else or in a different way until it manages to complete the "attack Rabaul" script. If it never completes the "attack Rabaul" script, well, it'll just lock up and do nothing because it can't complete the thing it's trying to do but also can't do anything else so you end up with the entire Pacific fleet sitting in San Fran with no orders because the scripts that say "round up some carriers and send them at X" can never trigger.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Thanks for playing! Wonderful LP. Shame the Allies are morons, the win conditions are absurd, the combat system is broken, and the game is almost unplayable.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VX-145 posted:

Congratulations on finishing, Grey!

I've been following along with these since about 2011/12ish, and it's been interesting watching them develop - especially this one, where a) we had the Battleship Supremacy timeline, and b) I got in early enough to claim a lucky ship - even if mine didn't show up at all past December 1941.

Shame about the absolutely atrocious Allied AI; does anyone have any theories as to why the hell all the American carriers are in Seattle and San Francisco? Or where the nuclear squadron(s) are?

The theories people are posting seem about right; the AI is programmed with a set of war plans and has limited ability to improvise, so it runs into mental roadblocks when it doesn’t recognize the conditions around it. I’m not sure where it started but there would have been an initial victory Grey scored that started snowballing as the AI couldn’t comprehend not owning certain islands and couldn’t launch a major offensive because of it.

I assume the same holds true for the Japanese AI but since Japan is on the defensive it’s less noticeable.

Groly
Nov 4, 2009
Masterfully done, Grey. And with everything else you're juggling, too.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're an insane man for doing these herculean LPs and I love you for it. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Incredible LP, Grey. Been one hell of a ride.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pirate Radar posted:

The theories people are posting seem about right; the AI is programmed with a set of war plans and has limited ability to improvise, so it runs into mental roadblocks when it doesn’t recognize the conditions around it. I’m not sure where it started but there would have been an initial victory Grey scored that started snowballing as the AI couldn’t comprehend not owning certain islands and couldn’t launch a major offensive because of it.

I assume the same holds true for the Japanese AI but since Japan is on the defensive it’s less noticeable.

They aren't really theories, this is all 100% confirmed on the Matrix forums. If you open up the scenario editor, which is surprisingly user-friendly by the standards of this game, you can see that the strategic AI works pretty much how Crazycryodude described it. There is also a tactical-level AI for how units fight and maneuver when they are near the enemy, but that won't come into play unless one of the scripts has put the units in the right place.

The AI works the same for the Japanese but yeah, it's less noticeable and actually works mostly fine since all of their offensive operations are at the start when the game is in a predictable state. I think it's possible to break the Japanese AI in a similar way if you hold certain objectives at the start, though.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
:japan:

Wonderful Thread Grey, Thankyou!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

After horrible losses in the 1941-1943 period, the US Navy has mutinied and created the independent Republic of Alameda. They have been locked in a bitter civil war with the US Army for nearly two years. Only the Hornet has remained loyal to the old United States, trapped at Pearl Harbor for a lack of fuel to make the voyage to the east coast. The transports will have to fend for themselves.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Banzai, Grey Hunter!

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Congratulations, Grey Hunter, on your victory(???)! Thanks so much, it's been great to see the updates every morning. You gave this game far more time than it ever deserved.

This is such a terrible loving game.

Stupid question: would there ever have been a way to gather intel on where all the carriers were holed up earlier? I guess it would have been near impossible to sail/fly anything near SF to get a good enough look.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks for the years long run through GH. It was insane watching months of nothing followed by several days of intense carrier hunting. I told my dad about this game/thread in May of last year, as he was a huge WWII history buff, and he regularly asked for updates on how it was going. We talked about the 1945 progress (or lack thereof) a couple of days before he died.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Thank you for playing.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Now do it again. But this time do it as both sides.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Joined this forum to read the end of the Allied LP, and now here's the end of the Japanese one. It's been one hell of a ride, and it's hard to believe it's over.

...which presumably means it's time to kick off an LP of The Campaign For North Africa.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Thanks for all your words guys - It can get pretty quiet in threads like this, and It's always nice to know people have been reading, even if they have not been commenting (I know there is not often much to say, so this is not a criticism)

This one was much more of a slog than the previous one, mainly because it deadlocked so early and there was little I could do to make it interesting - the game just won't allow for anything stupid.

Kibayasu posted:

Another years long LP down. What a legend.

So this is where you start a Distant Worlds LP as Greater Japan right?

I did consider doing either Distant Worlds or Stellaris, but for now I want to get either FOG:E or RTW2 done - three text lps spreads me to thin!

I'm open to suggestions to what you guys would like to see next though!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Congrats Grey. Your allied LP is what made me sign up here and now I'm glad to see this one in spite of the bad AI.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I absolutely adored the Ghana LP, personally. Is there anything else that can end in such a perfect Space Opera fashion as how you accidentally beheaded the evil empire there? I wouldn't mind seeing more Distant Worlds in general.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Congrats on making it to the end! I have no idea if my lucky ship ever got built, but there was no shortage of shenanigians. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with a few hours of your time each day in the future.

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error
Thanks for doing this LP. Reading your updates has been part of my nightly routine for the last couple years, and I binged on your allied playthrough. It'll feel odd now that over...

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I am another regular lurker who really appreciates your work, Grey. Thanks for this!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm open to suggestions to what you guys would like to see next though!

I would love to see a Distant Worlds LP just like this one - screenshots and text, no goons-in-command type stuff, just you doing your thing and posting it.

I like checking in on LPs on my phone when I'm taking a little break at work, so I really prefer screenshot to video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Congrats Grey, still sad of the Japan LP that came to a halt before its time.