Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bold Robot posted:

I would love to see a Distant Worlds LP just like this one - screenshots and text, no goons-in-command type stuff, just you doing your thing and posting it.

I like checking in on LPs on my phone when I'm taking a little break at work, so I really prefer screenshot to video.

I'm trying a mix - videos are quicker, and work better for some games, but you can do different things with SS, so I'll always try and keep a couple of those running.

I don't mind firing up DW again, if people want to see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What would have happened to Operation Silk Road? Was India wide open?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

And can you save scum so you get off a satisfying strike on pearl eventually

Or see if you can get the task force back home

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
My lucky ship Hiryu makes it through the whole way unscathed, only to eat a couple of bombs on the last day! I know it's only minimal damage but I was worried for a second there!

Grey, thanks again for the Herculean effort that must go into running an LP like this. Reading the latest update has been part of my morning routine every day for the last 4+ years.

What's left to say but one last BANZAI!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grey, you were a legend when you started this LP. You are a goon amongst goons now, Goonus Maximus Octopodus.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Blocked by +terrain - dispite having 10:1 numbers, apparently the terrain has stopped a quarter of a million Japanese veterans.

i81icu812 posted:

And can you save scum so you get off a satisfying strike on pearl eventually

Or see if you can get the task force back home

A sucessful strike is not possible - they have to many fighters in the air - the one thing the AI has not sent home.
Getting the fleet back is easy - they only got a few hits out of luck today, so tomorrow they will be back to level bombers only.

mllaneza posted:

Grey, you were a legend when you started this LP. You are a goon amongst goons now, Goonus Maximus Octopodus.

But have I peaked? Is this the greatest thing I will ever achieve in my life? How can I beat this?

Things on my speculative list
Distant Worlds/Stellaris Japan game
Stellaris with a CYOA race building section.
Combat Mission: Black Sea Mercenaries game.
Anno 1800
Transport Tycoon.
Spearhead Modern - The Brexit Wars. (hopefully averted after yesterdays fun in parliament)
Some other tabletop game with a campaign. (Longstreet for the ACW?)

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

Blocked by +terrain - dispite having 10:1 numbers, apparently the terrain has stopped a quarter of a million Japanese veterans.

A sucessful strike is not possible - they have to many fighters in the air - the one thing the AI has not sent home.
Getting the fleet back is easy - they only got a few hits out of luck today, so tomorrow they will be back to level bombers only.

But have I peaked? Is this the greatest thing I will ever achieve in my life? How can I beat this?

Things on my speculative list
Distant Worlds/Stellaris Japan game
Stellaris with a CYOA race building section.
Anno 1800
Transport Tycoon.
Spearhead Modern - The Brexit Wars. (hopefully averted after yesterdays fun in parliament)
Some other tabletop game with a campaign. (Longstreet for the ACW?)

You know what’s next

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/campaign-north-africa

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grey Hunter posted:

Transport Tycoon.

The original Transport Tycoon or OpenTTD?

If you're still up for some ancient world stuff during of after your playthrough of FoGE I'd recommend the Europa Barbarorum 2 mod for Medieval II: Total War. It's massive and full of interesting historical stuff but not in the overwhelming way that something like Caveman 2 Cosmos is.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 4, 2019

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I'd like to see Grey tackle a maths edutainment game tbh, like math blaster or zoombinis

(or lego rock raiders)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations on another successful run, Grey!

For your next LP, may I recommend Crusader Kings Day by Day

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

HOI4: Hour by Hour

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Amazing effort and I will miss my regular catch-up of the thread. Looking forward to more screen shot based LPs as I can't access video from my isolated site in Africa!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Thank you for the LPs, Grey. It'll be weird not to see the daily updates anymore.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Grey Hunter posted:

If you did this as a Yooper style Goon run merc squad, I would be all in for it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thank you for this LP, Grey. I thoroughly enjoyed this huge, crazy endeavour :)

Shame about the allied AI, but it can't be helped.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Very down for a Japan Goes To The Stars in either Distant World's or Stellaris

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Shropshire wasn't lost after all! Chilling in Pearl doing dick all, that's life :banjo:

Grey, thanks for another couple years of first class entertainment!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pershing posted:

Very down for a Japan Goes To The Stars in either Distant World's or Stellaris

Japan, after becoming the Earth's most dominant superpower in 1945 quickly led mankind to the stars where the need arose for development of mobile workers...

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Thank you for 8 years of amazing threads in a broken, janky game. Please chill out and enjoy, this song is dedicated to the US Pacific Fleet

https://youtu.be/wyPKRcBTsFQ

ProfFrink
Nov 7, 2007

"Stun" may be a bit of a misnomer.
Bravo!
Amazing work Grey.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I am with the others here recognizing the daily updates here have been a constant across near a decade of our lives, for me changing paths in life, changing states, changing schools, changing relationships, moving from multiple cities, completing an undergraduate degree and my masters degree afterwards, and making significant headway into a new career.

Congrats on getting to the end Grey, and you remain a madman for taking on as much as you do, but we appreciate what you do. The location of Tokyo Bay Fortress will forever remain in our hearts, though allied intelligence may speculate otherwise.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Spearhead Modern - The Brexit Wars - I want to see this... badly.
Or alternatively, another war in ex-Yugoslavia being LPd

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for doing these LPS Grey. The length is truly an undertaking. I broke up with my girlfriend when the first one started and got my bachelors degree. When the first one ended I had got my MBA and started talking to a new girl. Now that this is over I'm married to her, got another degree for a different field, and I'm buying my first house. You were a reassuring daily constant for all of that, so thank you.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Still mad the big guns didn't get to play on the last day, but the fleet of subs would have put 100 torpedoes in the sides of IJN ships.

Grey Hunter, thank you for another wonderful marathon LP.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Congratulations on another successful run, Grey!

For your next LP, may I recommend Crusader Kings Day by Day
I'm not an immortal space Croctapus in real life you know.

Huh, a Paradox mega campaign where the viewpoint isn't the king, but the Immortal Space croctopus sent to earth to "conquer" it after a slight mishap with a superlaser.

habeasdorkus posted:

If you did this as a Yooper style Goon run merc squad, I would be all in for it.

That would be the plan - have you guys buy units, take contracts, go on missions and control the guys on the ground - then hope to make enough money to pay for all the poo poo that gets blown up during the mission.
The engine would be the fight, CM has no civilians in it, so that would limit the mission scope somewhat - but I think it could still work. with some GM trickery.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm not an immortal space Croctapus in real life you know.

Huh, a Paradox mega campaign where the viewpoint isn't the king, but the Immortal Space croctopus sent to earth to "conquer" it after two slight mishaps with a superlaser.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Two?

I only blew one planet up by mistake.....

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
It's hard to believe that it's over. Like many others, this thread and it's predecessor were ones I checked every day. The end of an era!

Thanks, Grey, for all the hard work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yessod posted:

Thank you for 8 years of amazing threads in a broken, janky game. Please chill out and enjoy, this song is dedicated to the US Pacific Fleet

https://youtu.be/wyPKRcBTsFQ

And this for the IJN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbMEgfo5To

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I hope whoever handled the previous WitP game for lparchive.org has been collecting Grey's posts from the start, it'll take a long time otherwise.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You played the Axis, you played the Allies...what about the Comintern?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Another years long LP down. What a legend.

So this is where you start a Distant Worlds LP as Greater Japan right?

Second!
Please name the first light warship class 'J7W' tia.

Stellaris is also fine.

edit: w is not m.

terrenblade fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 4, 2019

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Stellaris but as domestic robots built in post war Japan run amok

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
tbf to Matrix this is more of a multiplayer game I think.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It's been a long time Grey. The first LP I followed here, the one that got me to get an account.. Wierd to have it be finally over.

Congrats!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

I hope whoever handled the previous WitP game for lparchive.org has been collecting Grey's posts from the start, it'll take a long time otherwise.

Oh god, I'm so behind on archiving threads......

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Congrats for another victory Grey. Your perseverance with a broken game and incredible dedication is as always beyond words. Banzai!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
great thread!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Congratulations and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just keep bumping the thread every day like a Japanese trooper in the jungle who refuses to believe the war is over.

It was going SO WELL...