Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fredleander posted:

Already Kavieng and Rabaul! Quite a shortcut!

I'm not 100% sure I can take Rabaul with the forces I have there, but I'm willing to take the risk - go big or go home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've never once been able to either reinforce or evacuate Rabaul by sea in time before the Japanese invade. I usually just do the admittedly-gamey-but-still-valid tactic of sending some PBY Catalinas there and ferrying out little bits of the troops that are stationed there, to recombine them into the Australian 6th/8th Division (I forget which) at Moresby.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Drone posted:

I forget, wasn't there some tactic that a Japanese player used on some Matrix forums AAR of WITP where they pre-emptively attacked the Soviets to free up the garrison troops after cleaning them up? Do the Soviets get a Patton-style intervention event if the Japanese player advances too far into Siberia (Zhukov showing up to push Tito's poo poo in, I guess)?

The problem with attacking the Soviets in an AI game is that you can't completely defeat them, like you can the Australians, Dutch, or New Zealanders. In those cases, if you take the base hex that serves as their main reinforcement hub, they will no longer receive reinforcements.

Because Soviet Union has an off-map hex that can't be moved into as the Japanese, which represents the Western half of the Soviet Union, all of the Soviet reinforcements will wind up piling up in this hex, and over time this will be enough Assault Value to push Japan back. The Soviet Union gets waves of reinforcements that turn their OOB into a nightmare for the Japanese player, with lots of heavy armor that is very difficult for the Japanese to deal with, as they have few units with good anti-vehicle numbers.

In a PBEM game in which players are playing for an auto-victory, based on points, attacking the Soviets is more doable, but still risky. The Soviets don't get their first major reinforcements until the summer of 42, and their planes are uniformly terrible until 1943, with the exception of the Mig-3. This allows the Japanese player to potentially gain lots of victory points in the form of Soviet bases and destroyed Soviet units and planes, but if they don't get that 1943 auto-victory, they've made the situation much worse for themselves, as they've opened a front with a force that they can't actually take out of the game.

Different mods handle this differently (In Focus Pacific, which Saros and I are playing (I'm really bad about updating my Let's Play thread, I'm sorry), the Soviets start activated, but Japan starts with an additional 6,000 AV in Manchuko), but because Grey is playing for the full 5 years, and isn't going for an autovictory, there's going to be no advantage for him to open the particular can of worms that is the Soviets before their automatic activation in late 45.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Drone posted:

I've never once been able to either reinforce or evacuate Rabaul by sea in time before the Japanese invade. I usually just do the admittedly-gamey-but-still-valid tactic of sending some PBY Catalinas there and ferrying out little bits of the troops that are stationed there, to recombine them into the Australian 6th/8th Division (I forget which) at Moresby.

You have some empty USN transports that are headed East in the Pacific at the start of the game. If you re-direct these APs straight to Rabaul, you can, along with some help from your PBYs, grab your units before the Japanese get there. Alternatively, you can split the TF up and grab both the detachments on Naru and Ocean Islands before the hammer falls.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nauru and ocean bf aren't worth the fuel, they're like 2 support each.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Americans go after our sub.

I'm landing fresh troops at Lingayen. The enemy get a torpedo into one of the ships.

We still land fresh troops.

We also invade San Fernando.

We take Davao as the enemy troops surrender to us.

We hit Guam.

I've moved some planes to Kota Bharu, they go into action today.

Alor Star falls to our rapidly advancing troops.

The battle for Hong Kong continues. The Allies are taking heavy losses now.

We lose Sinyang, I cannot foresee a long battle to retake it.

We're still taking a lot of air casualties. But we need to keep pushing on.

Hmm, this one is suspect.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wasn't Sinyang the site of a battle that spanned the better part of a whole year in the last LP?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Drone posted:

Wasn't Sinyang the site of a battle that spanned the better part of a whole year in the last LP?

I think so but the most "famous" was Kaifeng aka KIAfeng.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Could I have the Honolulu please.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Drone posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a wiki or something? Over 445,000 reported casualties.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
If I'm reading the spreadsheet right, no one has claimed the USS South Dakota, so I'll take her,

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i like when massive generation-defining battles happen in places where they didn't in real life. i loved the sinyang and kaifeng battles. to a lesser extent surabaya, i think, on java. places that didn't really get stuck in to wwii irl but did in the simulation

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'll claim the USS Whitney AD-4. Not the most impressive ship, but it's where my great-grandfather was stationed way back on December 7th, 1941. Please don't kill my great-grandpa, Grey! :ohdear: (Or my grandfather, or my great-uncle, but I digress)

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'll claim the USS Whitney AD-4. Not the most impressive ship, but it's where my great-grandfather was stationed way back on December 7th, 1941. Please don't kill my great-grandpa, Grey! :ohdear: (Or my grandfather, or my great-uncle, but I digress)

So, uh, did Oswald do it?

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm not 100% sure I can take Rabaul with the forces I have there, but I'm willing to take the risk - go big or go home!

One at a time. Fly in the Navy paras......

Aaahh......British Vildebeests supporting the Americans in the Philipppines? That'd be the day.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Drone posted:

If you're playing the US side there is always the Pensacola convoy. Not sure MacArthur would like that, though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I still have a dream that some kid is going to stumble across that wiki and hand in a very confusing report to their teacher one day.....

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

While doing the big writeup of the Iwo Jima debacle, it really started to blur into one - there's still a bit of me that thinks the (irl) invasion of Iwo Jima was somehow the second battle, and that the one in the greyverse was an early attempt at Island hopping.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

No, we can go even deeper. We should publish a book, "The Pacific theater of World War 2 as told by Grey Hunter" It can include not only his first play through, but this one as well simultaneously (Hell even his first botched attempt.) All told as if it was a legit history book.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If Grey has backups, he could release saved games of the original Allied run at various points, so people could delve into it and trace things like the deployment, performance, experiences and battles of individual ship captains and pilots through the years.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ikasuhito posted:

No, we can go even deeper. We should publish a book, "The Pacific theater of World War 2 as told by Grey Hunter" It can include not only his first play through, but this one as well simultaneously (Hell even his first botched attempt.) All told as if it was a legit history book.

Like the enormous nerd I am, I've been dying to do this ever since the first thread was winding down. In the end I think I wrote up maybe five or six thousand words before I realised I should get on with my entirely unrelated phd.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Ikasuhito posted:

Too late, I'm already at it. Would have liked to post a link to it but the local moderator seems rather sensitive to such. Am I correct?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fredleander posted:

Too late, I'm already at it. Would have liked to post a link to it but the local moderator seems rather sensitive to such. Am I correct?

Only if you sign your name at the bottom of each page.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

fredleander posted:

You should be fine - you just ran into one of those things that's so old around here no one even thinks about it.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Looks like the game is 50% off at Matrix Games right now. Decisions, decisions...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SOLarian posted:

Looks like the game is 50% off at Matrix Games right now. Decisions, decisions...

Get WitP or Get WitP

Tough call.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SOLarian posted:

Really the only decision you should be making is whether to play the Allies or Imperial Japan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Really the only decision you should be making is whether to play the Allies or Imperial Japan.

If it's your first time out as Japan, do yourself a favor and read up on how their economy and research works at the Matrix forum, it'll save you a major headache.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Take that America! We just sunk your Liberty!

Hey! These are supposed to be duds! That's a troop ship as well!

I'm fairly sure these planes are flying in the wrong direction – to the Philippines you idiots!

Later in the day we see the sub strike again.

We slam into the defenders of Hong Kong, they can't hold for long.

Ooooh, This is a good kill – oilers are rare beasts.

Its a good day for the subs.

Argh! One of the dreaded Dutch Subs!

Well, this is interesting....

I need to move these onto more useful missions.

This was a brave raid.

We advance deeper into Malaya.

I hate these things.

We find a light freighter fleeing the area.

We hit the beaches on another island.

We attack at Lingyen again, and despite the fact the enemy are poorly lead and green, they hold – numbers do seem to count for something it seems!

We have some reinforcements incoming though.

We take Guam!

Well, that was a busy day of ups and downs! We see a 200 point shift in our direction however, as we have taken a good amount of ground.

The subs have been active everywhere.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015
Duds? The Mark XII torpedoes of the USN "S"-boats were supposedly more reliable than those carried by the newer boats.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Where there are fleet oilers, there are carriers. Although I notice that the one that you hit was Aussie.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Take a look at the adjusted AV in Lingyen: all the way down to a single digit! Those troops must be hella disrupted. How'd that happen? Landings can cause some disruption but not that much I thought. Probably need to rest them up however that happened.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the operational number in that fight might've been 'we have 238 tanks, you do not have any.'

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Yep, that's probably it. The Japanese are hobbled by a lack of effective anti-armor small armors. Good eyes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Where are the Japanese battleships at the moment?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where are the Japanese battleships at the moment?

I was wondering this myself - Grey, would you be willing to give us a rundown as to what our big fancy ships are up to at the moment?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

fredleander posted:

Duds? The Mark XII torpedoes of the USN "S"-boats were supposedly more reliable than those carried by the newer boats.

In game they are very much more reliable for the first year of the game, though slightly less damaging especially compared to IJN torpedoes. The only issue with those boats is that they have short range until '43.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

But isince their torps actually, you know, work, it's still an acceptable trade. Especially early on if you can avoid damage so they don't try to get repairs in Java or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It was a gamey exploit in SH4 as well to just load those Mark 10s into your non-S-class fleet boat instead of the Mark 14s just so you'd have fish that'd explode reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That said, it's not like the dud rate in SH4 was particularly bad. Even the 'realism' mods didn't seem to quite capture the hillarious awfulness of US torpedoes.