Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Gotta get in on this one. Sign me up for the Heavy Cruiser USS San Francisco please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
The thing is that not only was the West Coast immune to invasion, so was Hawaii, even by the time Midway rolled around. Even at full strength, and with the US Carrier fleet obliterated, the entire Japanese navy simply did not have the logistical or staying power to pound Hawaii into submission. By June of 1942, Hawaii was defended by nearly 100,000 American troops, with hundreds upon hundreds of aircraft, more than Japan could have brought to bear even with every carrier in their fleet deployed. At best, they might have raided the convoys that shipped supplies into Hawaii, but they did not have the staying power to be able to blockade Hawaii effectively, particularly not given the submarine doctrine they were using. Hawaii was regarded by PACCOM as asset without which waging the war was impossible, and the US was willing to throw Atlantic-style convoys into the mix to fight supplies through if necessary. With or without Germany first, with or without local Naval superiority, Japan would never have taken Hawaii, and consequently could never have forced the US to abandon the war.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Even if the Adelaide is sunk, how could it possibly have been sunk by a 40cm gun? Is that some kind of wonky code for a Japanese torpedo?

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
For the loss of exactly one plane, you obliterated what has to be a division-sized sealift of marines and probably destroyed the majority of the forces they used to take Makin. I'd call that a good day.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Jew it to it! posted:

One could say that this was an openly evil day for the Japanese on the 27th.

It's going to get so much worse...

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

CarrKnight posted:

Actually was there any landing by the Japanese that was thrown back into the sea?
It's probably not a risk you take.

All I can think of is actions like at Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands, but they were reinforcements to the defenders more than full scale assaults. No?

Milne Bay probably qualifies. The Japanese landed what amounts to a single battalion of SNLF troops to evict what they thought was a couple companies of Australian troops from the tip of New Guinea, only to encounter a pair of re-enforced Australian brigades which outnumbered them five to one, and which were supplied with heavy close air support. The result was predictable.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Landing? poo poo's Tough

Didn't the actual troops of WWII call them "Large, Slow Targets"?

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
What does a 'KV' ship refer to?

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grey's kid actually remembers to rest between shock attacks once fatigue gets too high

:boom:

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
That article was fascinating. I knew Japanese logistics were a catastrophe, but I had no idea they were that bad...

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Doesn't Fort Level 7 basically mean you're headbutting the Maginot Line? I'm astonished you only lost what you did.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
They're packing 14 inch guns on aircraft now?

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
They did, in fairness, get a huge amount of help from Lend Lease with which to do all of that fighting, but yes, Soviet claims to have won the war by themselves are complicated by the fact that they effectively did just that.

EDIT: That said, the soviets were definitely using human wave style assaults early in the war and against the Finns. The casualty figures they suffered through that war speak for themselves, really. Someone was doing an awful lot of dying over there, and the Soviet antipathy towards the human cost of their tactics is too well attested to be nothing but propaganda. Seelowe Heights involved a hell of a lot of direct marching into the teeth of enemy fire, and that was near the end of the war. And the penal battalions were definitely used as mine-clearers on more than one occasion by having them link arms and run forward.

GenHavoc fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 16, 2018

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Crazycryodude posted:

A big slice of the high casualties they suffered is massive encirclements/setbacks during the first year or so of the war and the whole, y'know, genocide thing the fascists were doing rather than the perfidious Slav not valuing human life. Seelowe Heights' casualty rate was no worse than D-Day's (or even a bit lower depending on who's numbers you believe), which is not at all surprising when attacking uphill, across a river, and through a swamp against a series of fortified strongpoints. Clearing minefields by having convicts run across them is an utterly absurd myth that no commander with a modicum of real military training would consider, and I can't find any reputable sources on it being actually attempted on a large scale anywhere except for a few times during the Iran-Iraq War (where, obviously, it just ended with all the charging unprotected men immediately getting shot and not clearing any mines).

Trotter talks about it in A Frozen Hell, and so does Beevor in his Battle of Berlin book, in both cases drawing on sources from the Winter and Russo-German wars respectively. Trotter mentions that the Soviets apparently also occasionally cleared minefields by running herds of horses into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

"Wow, their tanks kicked my rear end. Well they probably won't have them on the next map."

- Repeat 30x.