Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take the USS Pensacola (CA-42) if it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did Grey skip the 22nd?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My lucky ship.
:rip: Pensacola.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm ready for a good surface engagement. I want to see some sunk ships! Give my lucky ship some company Grey.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What are the chances the Revenge actually sunk? Could the bombing have done enough to keep them from stopping the flooding?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I went back and added it up. The Revenge has taken 39 bomb hits and 2 torpedoes. Today is the first time we have seen heavy damage though.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone is interested the current tally on the Revenge is 69 bomb hits and 2 torpedoes.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ikasuhito posted:

Dammit, At this point I believe Grey has put more bombs into the Revenge than all the battleships hit at both Pearl attacks.

At this rate he really will sink them both by weighing them down, 250kgs at a time.

I didn't count but he has put almost as many into the Resolution. Between the two I'd bet he's up to 100+ bombs.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a list of the lucky ships? My poor Pensacola is already on the bottom so I want to claim one of Grey's CV's if any on that list aren't taken. Maybe the Unryu?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I would like to claim the CVL Ryūjō. The real one only made it to August 42, hopefully Grey can do better.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LostCosmonaut posted:

A 250 kilo bomb isn't going to do poo poo to Resolution at this point.

Isn't it up to 70 bomb hits or some other bonkers number?

The Revenge was up to 70 or so. I didn't count the hits on Resolution but it was probably 50 or 60. Like Jobbo said though at least some of those were 60kg bombs.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think you missed the update for the 5th.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Mobile (pronouced mo-bee-all) is a fairly large city in Alabama. I assume that's what the ship is named after.

It is on Mobile bay, which connects to the gulf of mexico, and is currently the production site for the controversial Independence class littoral combat ships.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

David Corbett posted:

Speaking of those, it absolutely blows my mind that shipbuilders are still running face first into problems with galvanic corrosion. Within ten years of the launch of the first iron-hulled warship (HMS Warrior), designs were already being pioneered to avoid the issue. HMS Inconstant used a clever system of wood furring to keep the copper and iron separate - in 1868. 150 years later, we apparently have forgotten these lessons.

This isn't really the place for it, but those ships are a clusterfuck in a bunch of ways. The manufacturer is currently being sued because they had workers use giant circular saws to cut metal even the though the saw manufacturer says specifically not to do that. It has led to a bunch of people losing fingers/hands/arms, but is faster than doing it the right way.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm now interested in what would happen if we put modern performance car engines in WWII fighters.

Or at least piston engine planes with car engines.

I'm actually studying piston engines right now so I can shed a little light on this.

A common way of evaluating piston engines is the brake mean effective pressure (BMEP), which is the power per engine revolution divided by its displacement. Typical values for this are 6 - 18 (atm/bar), with 6 being more reliable engines and 18 being turbo race engines.

Using the values in Wikipedia for the double wasp (and assuming the radial engines are 4-stroke) the BMEP is about 7 bar.
The same calculation for the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport the BMEP is about 10 bar.

So if a modern double wasp was made to the same performance per displacement as a Bugatti it would make about 2200 kW or 3000 hp.

Looking at a max performance it could make 3700 kW or 5000 hp. (This motor would need to be rebuilt every 50-100 hours or so probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to see the press in this timeline. The Wasp was barely in service 6 months and Yorktown just over a year. In the real timeline the US didn't lose a single Essex class carrier and Grey just bagged two in one day.