Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Hmm, fresh prey.

They are not done yet it seems.

Our battleships arrive at Iba to begin softening it up.

There is another day of hard fighting at Clark Field. While we take more losses, they take a lot more destroyed squads – so this is a win in our direction.

Kuantan continues to draw in enemy planes.

We get some good kills here.

Guess who's doing their job properly now!

The Royal Navy is going down!

Its not a good day for the Dutch Navy either.

We then go after the convoy the Dauntless was protecting.

Thought you could shoot our ships and live did you?

Rabaul is ours!

A massed force advances into Changchow, then shock attacks the city. The is a incredibly brutal day of fighting, but we kill over three to one. The enemy are forced from the city with 50% losses.

That was a good day! We are advancing rapidly – I'm going to rest the Clark Field force for a day or so, as we are already doing much better than last time, and I think some rest will help them crack the field.

Any day you sink a cruiser is a good one. (unless you lose a carrier, of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk! Mwah ha ha.....

Ha... ha... Dammit.

Another one bites the dusk.

Arr! To Davy Jones's Locker with thee!

We deliver more shells to Iba.

The air war here continues.

We pick off another destroyer today.

A fuel filled freighter follows her down.

Our tanks overrun Georgetown.

Brunei also falls.

We keep on moving forward.

Quite a few ships went down today.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No supplies for you!

Here we continue to see lots of small raids losing one or two planes a time.

A small brigade of Indian troops slows our advance in Malaya.

I so wish I could build more subs.

Surface attacks a few miles from their capital, they really are powerless.

An American sub gives up on its torpedoes and machine guns one of our ships. It seems more effective.

I order an attack here, and despite being outnumbered, our troops are surprisingly effective.

A force reaches Nanning, but is forced to retreat by a larger Chinese unit.

These Zero pilots care nothing about being outnumbered!

This one seems to have been filled with fuel.

Lots of sub action today. We also took a lot of losses in the air – I'm going to switch strategy here and hope I can do something about it. All my planes will hit a single base in one unstoppable wave!

At least we sunk some ships.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No hits, but a good attempt!

This is much better.

A single destroyer sweeps through our ships in Kuantan, causing chaos.

This is not the mass raid I ordered.

This is more like it, although no hits reported.

The Kido Butai is here now, and they get a good hit on a big ship. Taking this out will be a nice result.

Actually, there are a lot of valuable ships here.

The Indians surrender, they put up a brave fight.

I hope this was full of tanks.

This one looks like a nice target as well.

More reinforcements march into Clark field – once more, most of our losses are disabled squads, and acceptable. Cracking the fort makes this a good day.

We smash another force.

A good day, but we have to accept that Singapore and Port Moresby are being reinforced. This could cause problems later on, but for now, we got the cat amongst the pigeons.

Although there is only a few of their ships on the sheet at this time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Whoo, that's a nice sized tanker.

This one is small, but I'll take it.

Clunk! Mwah ha ha!

This one just skips to using its guns.

This is more what I wanted – although some more support would be nice!

A few days of this and we can end the air problem in the region.

We hit another troop ship.

A couple of fleeing ships are also run down.

We continue to push north.

Our forces outside Sinyang have a good defensive position, and hold off a superior force easily.

We take the base next to Clark field, despite the fact we have a lower AV – the enemy morale is low !

Some nice advances today, and it looks like the air war in Malaya is moving in my direction at last. Having to check all the fighters every few days to stop them resetting to 100ft operating height is annoying, but its just in this area, so its a short term problem.

A nicely one sided sheet here.

Oh yeah, its that time of the month – as before, I will be comparing my progress to that of the previous Allied campaign! There will be some oddities here, as the hidden losses has been reversed, so all Japanese losses are automatically reported, while the Allied ones will be hidden, but as long as we keep this in mind, we should be fine.

Score wise we are on track, the AI has a lower score, and while we also has a lower score, nothing from Pearl Harbor has been confirmed. This one could jump again, or I could have had the second Pearl Harbor attack in a row where nothing was sunk!

Base wise, we are doing as well, but not better than the AI.

Now this one is a surprise! I thought I was losing planes left right and centre, but my losses have been much lower than the AI's over the same time period.

A few bad days in China have spiked this – you can literally see the days we where hit hard.

This is the most inaccurate one at the moment – our kills at Pearl have not been confirmed by our spies, while all our losses have. Interestingly, the PATTERN of the graphs is the same, just the values are much higher.

Same story here!

Here are our best pilots – Chono has racked up a massive nine kills in the month, and the Yamada Det1 squadron has eight of the top ten pilots.

Here are the ship kills – most of these are not confirmed. I'm not listing all the smaller ships.

Okay! Onto plans. Here is the extent of our conquests so far.

For now, I'm trying to unlock troops to support the push to Rabaul, but I'm not getting the Political points needed to do so, so this may take some time. The main plan is to carry on pushing along the historical lines, finishing off in the Philippines and then hitting the Dutch East Indies.

The plan in China is based around stripping the Manchurian garrison to provide thousands of fresh bodies, once we have locked down China, I can begin to move these troops out to other theatres (as much as they are not locked in.)

That's the basics, I'm pretty much on autopilot at the moment, the real plans should begin once the Philippines falls.

Happy new year all! One year down, four to go!
(IT COUNTS!)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Theantero posted:

Well now. Someone's aiming for the stars I see.

Go big or go home.

Banzaiiiiiiiiii!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A White Guy posted:

:stare: so, basically, Allied Shipping is effectively limitless during and after 1943.

Yep!

So I'm going to be sinking lots and lots of ships! Its going to be glorious!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dammit, she's still alive.

This seems like overkill!

Today seems to be the day of subs chasing down their targets.

This force has been created to police up all those little islands.

Right, I'm not garrisoning these, so onto the next!

The Kido Butai seems to have forced most British planes into hiding – here we clean up a troop convoy.

I have joined in the bombing of ISIS. It seems to be the popular thing to do.

I love seeing these liners getting hit.

The allies are abandoning their bases!

We reduce the last fortifications – now for a couple of days rest before a shock attack to shatter them.

I need a few more forces here to overwhelm a much larger force.

[img]http://lpix.org/2320224/12].jpg[/img]

We're kicking rear end out there – I'm sure this is going much better than last time!

If not for their subs, we'd not be losing any ships at all!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Huh. No long and bloody battle this time it seems!

Allied forces cross into Canton.

The Singapore strikes continue.

Oh god, that's a lot of losses! Where are the fighters? They were here yesterday!

Looks like we're running out of targets. Well, good targets.

This is a good strike!

There are a couple of destroyers wandering around.

The Allies get the drop on a bomber formation who forget to take friends. The idiots.

More troops arrive at Iba – this is to try and stop the Americans from fleeing here from Clark Field.

Here we forget resting for more attacks – the Allies replace their fortifications, but it doesn't help them much. Again, ignore the number of casualties and focus on the units actually destroyed. We're taking lots of wounded, but not many killed.

The Allied bombardment shows that their Av has more than halved – one more day will shatter them.

Owch, a lot of plane losses today – I'm going to rest the bombers for a while and pull the KB back for refuelling, repairs and replacements.

At least we got a couple of ships?

I suck at surprise attacks it seems.

CannonFodder posted:

11 PM Hawaii time is 9AM in the UK, according to a time zone converter I found. He just has to post before going to work in the morning.

Yep its Hawaii time!
Sorry, got the inlaws around, and its screwing the hell out of my schedule.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lenoon posted:

But the scale of the map changes anyway, there's no way that projection can be consistent. India is tiny!

The map is the thing that bugs me the most about this game. Its really hard to navigate. Even after playing the game for five years soild!

That said, I'm still enjoying it! which is amd seeing as I've put so much of my life into one game.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I was going to do one, but then the reviews came out, and I decided I had better things to spend my money on. If it was a reasonable price, then I might have taken the plunge, but not for the silly money Matrix are asking for.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another troop ship takes a hit.

The I-8's Captain is having a good day.

A really good day!

With no interesting air attacks, we skip to the afternoon sub attacks.

Some of our troops reach Chingsha, but they are ahead of the main party and take heavy losses.

The American's and their allies do not want to give up Clark's Field. They are down to 18AV after this attack though, so tomorrow should do it!

We begin work on taking Iba.

We are slowing down slightly, as men are marching and that takes an inordinately long time in this game.

The subs are carrying us it seems.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We finish off a wounded duck.

Then hit a new ship.

The Americans are using their guns more now.

We see the Allies attacking us today.

Hey! We came out on top here!

Its a quiet day, have this as well.

Jeez guys, I think it may be dead!

We pick off another ship near Pearl.

We hit that enemy force once more. Those 1,200 lost squads are going to be very hard for the Chinese to replace quickly.

We lose ground at Changsha – these men shouldn't have outstripped the main force!

Clark Field is ours! The enemy takes heavy losses and is forced into retreat or ignoble surrender.

This run is defiantly going better! Today was a massive 772 point swing in our favour! We should be able to clear up the Philippines now, and the doom stack is rolling in China.

Glug, glug, glug.

Here is the plan in China – we're pushing for the big one! I want to free up troops for other regions!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We hit Ocean Island.

Its mine now.

They are learning, it seems.

We protect a leaving task force.

Low level fighting continues at Iba.

Dull day – they are going to happen. But hey – we're now winning a **Major Victory**!

This is optimistic.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The pass here is still dangerous.

The S-38 is having a good day.

Oh, they do have some duds, I was starting to wonder.

We have planes in the Philippines?

We pick off another transport.

Nothing of import to say today – troops moved forwards, so we have men in Manilla now.

This is not unrealistic.

The West Point was one of those big liners right?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ikasuhito posted:

Not quite as exciting as our last one month anniversary. But we are at least doing noticeably better in the Philippines.

I'm doing much better across the board really - apart from the much higher plane losses - there is still no real confirmation of what has been sunk at Pearl Harbor, so I've either been very unlucky there (again) or the Americans are pulling off a masterstroke of censorship and hiding the loss of their ships.

The enemy carriers are hiding, but while the Kido Butai needs a couple of weeks in drydock to clear their damage and replace lost planes - I have to hope they can do this before the Enterprise pops up. the next danger stage is when I start loading troops from the Philippines for the invasion of Java - this is where I did a lot of damage to the Japanese in my game, and I want to limit my ship losses for this phase.

I just need to clean up the last bits of resistance in the north first. There are no real troops in the southern islands, so I can pick them off as I go.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If they somehow manage to prevent war with Russia and the US, I'd say they could've peaced out for some time.

Yeah, if they had beaten the British Empire in Africa, cut the Suez canal, then U-boated mainland Britain to starvation, they could have gotten a peace treaty - Vichy France would have been an "ally", and they could have focused all their efforts on Russia in 1942....
....And still have gotten their heads pounded in. Because they went to war with goddamn Russia!.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its really dull in the air – this is the afternoon already.

Just as well I planned for a quiet day and ordered an offensive in China!

A entire Corps surrenders here.

We get closer to cutting this rail line.

This is my town.

The main force arrives at Changsha, and the battle begins. – I would be better with the whole force, but that's how it goes.

The men in Manilla need a rest, but they hold off the enemy well today.

Lots of good ground combat in China, but now we have to wait for all those troops to advance forwards again. I need to rest the Manilla troops.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's a big ship, I want it still. Please stop shooting it.

We begin the attacks to take the Changsha fortifications – this is going to be a long and bloody job!

I'm doing well at picking off their larger troop transports.

We get a few hits in on Singapore, but most planes here are still on training mode to replace losses and repair damaged planes.

The Kido Butai jumps back into action hitting the President Coolaid hard. I know I said I was sending them back for repair, but that was a cunning plan to confuse the spies amongst you! In reality, I remembered I'd ordered a fresh wave of troops in – that's the transport up near Kota Barau – These guys are landing at Mersing and I need to provide support for them!

These guys have moved up as well! Its only taken them a month to march 40 miles!

The battle for Iba continues!

The Manchurian Garrison has been stripped down to near the bone! But that's a good thing.

That's a couple of great ships to sink.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You most defiantly don't have a permit to do that!

Due to extremely slow marching, the invasion of Mindando is going poorly. So I land fresh troops today.

We hold off an Allied counter attack at Manilla.

Talking about slow marchers! These guys finally move up and get into action.

We are picking off a good number of ships around here.

The Chinese counter attack at Changsha, but it goes horribly for them – I need to press my attack now, before they can recover those disabled squads.

Changsha is going to be bloody, but that attack today should swing it in my favour!

Well, this is random!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We start the day with a hunting sub.

The Sub war continues to be the most dangerous part for us.

I order a shock attack at Iba, and the enemy surrender and entire division to us.

The new invasion at the south is successful, the ships will pick these troops up and move them on to the next target.

The invasion force arrives at Mersing, and the enemy begin their attack.

Our attack at Changsha is brutal, but it lowers the fortifications. Maybe the Chinese will be kind enough to counter attack again tomorrow.

The fall of Iba frees up a load of troops, and means I'm certanly doing a lot better than the previous run, where I was held up here for months.

That cruiser may have been limping home.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm amazed I've not been driven off by hordes of Destroyers yet.

We are racking up a steady kill tally on the Allies with our subs.

We see some effective defence over Mersing.

Time to start whittling.

Screw it, lets push hard tomorrow in the Philippines.

He he he.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We take Mersing without a fight.

The offensive here continues. I'm still trying to clear out the railway lines.

The Chinese attack our forces, but they are poorly lead and inexperienced, and take heavy losses.

We need more troops to take Manilla.

Not much to mention here today.

I have no idea why these guys thought this was a good idea. They decided to go through mined Bataan to get to the location instead of the unmined hex.

Green is the expected safe route. Red is the route this bunch of idiots took.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We jump north.

Sigh.

I'm going to try a shock attack here – it might be all that is needed to break the enemy.

I hope we have driven this sub off at least.

We crack another layer of fortifications – an destroy a lot of enemy squads! This is a good day, despite what the raw numbers of losses say.

We continue to batter the Chinese across the country.

Well, that's the Manchurian garrison stripped bare. I should have the doom stacks needed to wrap China up relatively quickly. Maybe a year or two....

Bloody AI pathing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This could have gone badly.

Now, I do these in advance, but I'm guessing there were cries of “No Grey, Don't shock attack you fool!” - Up yours mate. Up wherever your species traditionally shoves it.
With nowhere to flee, two whole divisions surrender to us.

We take another poorly defended base in the south.

I love hitting these big ones.

For the love of.....

STOP GOING IN IN SMALL NUMBERS WITHOUT FIGHTER SUPPORT!

At least we take another base in Borneo.

Oh yeah, I've got a small force invading America.

Changsha continues to be bloody, but it also continues to go our way in destroyed squads – I need to rest up our troops for a few days it seems.

We destroy the 10th Army group.

I need to divert troops to take out this mini doom stack. A dread stack?

They are also pushing back at Sinyang.

The Chinese are really on the offensive! Then again, they've been sitting here since the start of December.

Lots of brutal fighting in China, but we are making progress in the Philippines.

Every day you mock me!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our subs continue to do good work.

Hmm, I might need to increase the hight on these fighters.

NOOO!
Find a safe port, any port!

I'm leapfrogging troops down from Kuantan to Mersing, and the Allies take a crack at the ships carrying them.

Damage control teams report in!

Okay, this could be a lot worse, there are a few fires, but they should be able to bring them under control, we won't be launching any fighters for a time, but I think I can save her. She's about a hundred miles from Davao, where she can patch up some of the damage before returning to Japan. We probably won't see her until after her refit now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk! Mwah ha ha!

Dammit, I just missed a period.

Our troops arrive at Bataan and throw themselves into a shock attack – losses are horrendous.

There is a minor counter attack which shows what the losses have done to our forces.

I must relive the commander of the Bataan attack from his post, that was a wasteful loss of men, which will slow our assault while we wait for our men to rest and resupply.

The Ryujo's pumps are containing the flooding, so she is trying to limp home now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another wonderful dud.

Screw it, says Commander New. Lets just use the deck gun.

There was a ship from 'Stralia,
Her destroyers did go an fail her,
The Japanese were there, with torpedoes in hand,
and now she lies on the sand.

These bastards make this run every day, and are responsible for most of our destroyed on ground. Today we get revenge.

We push the enemy back from Rabaul.

The Changsha offensive begins again.

We begin to reduce the defences at Manilla. I'm going to check my leader to try and remove one of their pluses.

We hold on in Bataan. I think this is stalemated for a while now, but I have plenty of troops I can bring in to support. Manillia first though.

Not much action today, but apparently America has reoccupied some small base.

Yay, a dead destroyer, if they don't take it from me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We care not for the American submarine defences around their most important port.

A nice big one!

We jump up another base.

And crack another layer of forts at Manilla.

We hit Changsha again.

We continue our random advances.

Not much to comment on today.

We sunk some nice ships though!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another ship picked off.

Another valuable passenger liner.

The Permit resubmits its paperwork via deck gun.

I'll trade a light ship for a tanker any day.

Hmm, reinforcing or evacuating?

Several waves hit Singapore without encountering defensive fighters.

The Tanks begin to push into Malacca.

Another base in Borneo is ours, and there are two less units to worry about.

We break the last layer of forts at Changsha. I'll rest a day before making the next assault.

We retreat before a large Chinese force.

We get fresh troops into Manila. Hopefully we can overwhelm them now.

We could see some nice advances in the next few days – or some high casualties!

Two more ships down.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mikl posted:

Then the game ended because of "save file corruption" on the Japanese side.

Sheesh, who still uses that excuse when an LP is not going your way?

:rolleyes:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

You are backing up this one regularly, right?

:ohdear:

Yep! and its a new computer that does not yet know what it's in for!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

She's not sunk yet, so we finish the job.

I reactivate the bombers, thinking they will strike Jahor, but no, they fly outside of escort range all the way down here, and get butchered.

This is more what I expected, but I forgot to drop the height.

We get a hit, and confirm they have troops aboard.

Malacca falls to our forces. With nowhere to retreat to, the enemy forces surrender.

We begin to clear enemy troops out near Singyang – this is one where the destroyed squads is important, not the raw loss numbers.

We begin the final attacks on Manilla. This drops the AV to 35.

We are Jahore now, and will begin the attacks tomorrow. We took heavy air losses, but the Allies lost nearly a hundred points in army loss points.

Mine now.

21 days for repairs. Oh well, that's not bad for ending up in combat.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We strike a troop transport. I think Singapore is going to be a tough nut to crack.

If only I hadn't had to pull my carriers out.

We begin to attack Johore Bahru. We have the forces to do this, with more on the way.

Good sub.

Dear Commander.
A bombardment attack is where you throw shells at the enemy, not when you strap shells to your men and have them make Banzai charges at the enemy.
Yours,
Imperial Command.

One more day of this should do it!

The enemy at Changsha continue to crumble.

We win another victory around Sinyang.

We are so close to taking Manilla. Once the city falls, everything will hit Bataan and we can move on – hopefully I can break them quicker than Iba last time around.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm sorry, you did not file form 32B in triplicate.

Right, I'm giving this up until I find more Zeros.

We need more supplies here, but everything else is in our favour – there are plenty of supplies to the north, but they need shipping down, so I'll send some more ships in.

We are just killing them here now – they can't hold out for much longer.

Bataan is the best defended place on the island, I launch an attack to try and break them. Thats a lot of enemy squads disabled, so I may try another day of attacks.

This is an auto attack, but we at least destroy more squads than we lose.

We've cleared out most of the easy spots now, so we just need to crack a couple of hardspots, then its on to phase two.

Aww, if that's true, then that's the end of my Bureaucracy jokes. You may like that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The first one was a dud. The next three were not.

We skip to the next base. The American troops can starve out in the bush, and we can clean them up later.

Manillia falls to our forces. Five thousand enemy troops surrender. In real life, this was made an open city, but I've had to level a large part of it to take it.

The Chinese are to powerful in the south, I have diverted troops to clean up the situation.

The British counter attack, but it goes poorly.

The fall of Manilla is a nice 1,500 point swing in our direction. Now to clear out Bataan and get these troops freed up!

This one is not surprising.

Taking Manilla solves our supply problems.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The RAF goes on the offensive.

We continue pushing near Sinyang.

This is a vanity project, but its a nice easy use of a single small force.

A quiet day – I need to move more men into Bataan, but with the way units march in this game, that could take weeks. I'm hoping to reopen Changsha in a few days.

We get a new toy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oh hey, my raider fleets finally find a target.

We take out another ship.

Time to rest these guys up.

I think I'm going to organise a air attack on Bataan to wear them down.

A couple of kills today, which is nice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Grumio posted:

Will you add the Shoho to the Kido Butai, or keep it on its own? I saw in one thread the suggestion to pool all the japanese CVE into a mini kido butai, so they can be an effective force that doesn't slow down the main fleet.

At the moment I have them in the KB, but I am considering splitting them out, but having them operate in close proximity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Good morning Bataan!

This is your wakeup call!

This is the problem here, they have a good number of guns and vehicles. So they can hurt us hard even when we bombard. We need to use up their supplies. The new bombing campaign should help with that.

That's a nice number of squads destroyed.

Ho hum, its one of those phases – most major actions are waiting for troops to move up, and its still two weeks before the Kido Butai finishes its repairs. Well, I could send them out without the Kaga, but that feels like a really stupid idea.