Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

It's pretty hard to actually sink a ship without a torpedo. There are many ways to make it useless but unless there's a gaping hole below the water line it's not going down quickly. All 5 carries sunk at Midway required a torpedo from a Japanese Submarine to sink.

Pretty much true. The point of a bomb vs a torpedo is that a bomb has more explosive per pound of stuff. Torpedos have the advantage of hitting the water line and producing flooding, bombs have the advantage of being well... bigger. Flooding literally sink ships, but lots of other things can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TehKeen posted:

Out of curiosity what are some examples of ships getting blow up by dive bombers? I imagine a 1000lb AP bomb isn't very nice to most things.

The kaga* and the Akagi* at midway are the big ones. Pretty much every American loss at okinawa if you count kamakazi as bombs.

*they were actually sunk sunk by torpedos proving the earlier posters point, but they were killed by bombs and the resulting fires

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

She cut the other ship in half and just kept going. Savage.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

That's actually the right move, when you look at it from a wartime utilitarian perspective. She had 10,000 troops on board, and stopping would make you an easy target for a submarine that might be lurking nearby.

Agreed, but still savage. Toot toot motherfucker. Out of my way.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

what's the importance of the green number in the Manchiruan garrison?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

algebra testes posted:

It's the Second Impact.

The First Angel.

or alternatively a Zentradi space ship crash landed in Tokyo Bay. Finally we will have the technology to defeat the Americans!

I always thought the zendtradi were a metaphor for American ships showing up in Tokyo bay be it commodore Perry or the Missouri.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So can you do a Doolittle raid in this game?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

He just wanted to avoid a disaster like last LP

I vaguely remember this, but can someone point me to this?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What do the green and red ships mean? Are those sightings of enemy ships?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

It should be noted that "Negros" is an island in the Phillipines.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

And the name lives on!

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2188850

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

pthighs posted:

"The big man said we've got to drop these supplies that Japanese base, so dammit, that's what we're going to do."

Edit: I meant Allied base. Obviously my US bias coming through.

Maybe they were trying to defect? Death to traitors.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

How does the game handwave the reporting of casualties stuff? Are you supposed to have the enemies codes cracked and are listening in to their reports of losses? Is there some other explanation? Also, same question about ships reported sunk then confirmed later?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

I call Captain Kurita into my office. I explain to him that we need to know the threat level at Nomau. He has been given the opportunity by the Emperor himself to scout the area to see what air defences they have ahead of a general attack.

I wish him luck.

I think Rear Admiral Kurita left a little pissed about you demoting him.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

the_seventh_cohort posted:

A mock up based on steinrokkan's color scheme:

When you say previous, did GH play as the Japanese or the filthy white imperialists?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Does the game model using warships for supplies like submarines in the Tokyo express or moving the bomb via batleship?

What about submarines doing downed pilot duty?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RA Rx posted:

If we're going to go to that detail I want to manage military police and prisoner of war camps, and nuts and bolt production in every factory.

Fast forward five hundred years and WiTP is a planetary-scale simulation with sentient virtual minds... :)

War in the Pacific Dwarf Fortress

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

goatface posted:

Bikini Atoll.

Guam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

George HW Pixelman Bush has got to be bobbing in his life raft somewhere down there.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

It would be especially bad for the Americans if those oilers were full of oil and the capital ships were near empty. It's actually possible the entire fleet could be stranded.

GH doesn't get that level of lucky, though.

This actually happened, though not to carriers and due to storm and not enemy action. Close enough.

TF 38 was low on fuel after performing actions in support of the Philippines. They got hit by a typhoon and were unable to replenish underway. The little guys were riding so high due to low stores and fuel that three destroyers capsized and sunk. Other ships pumped seawater into their tanks for ballast and managed to ride the storm

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 15, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

From the great beyond, Alfred looks down upon you and smiles

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RA Rx posted:

Ngh... All Grey needs to do to survive out 1946 with more points than the Allies is sink another ten Essex-carriers or so, without losing any of his own. You can do that right, Grey?

Or is it more like 20+? Or is 10 enough to slow down the Allies enough to 'win' by having more points in 1946 (as if the Green Machine would've stopped)?

Are the Japanese victory conditions really that bad?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I meant the game victory conditions.

But IRL, had the Japanese won in Mahanian fashion at coral sea and/or midway, the war would have turned out very differently. Probably would have taken also a successful defense of Guadalcanal, but yeah I don't see the Japanese war effort as purely in vain. I think we're colored more by hindsight.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Japanese victory necessarily has to be a political victory. A big victory like i mentioned has to include a rethinking of naval policy. The Americans already did this in the IRL timeline when they were unable to reinforce the Philippines like they planned to prewar. A theoretical us navy comes off that big loss and must re-evaluate. They could refocus and prosecute the war with their fleet submarines operating from the west coast and Australia and India. They could wait for their industrial capacity to catch up and try to re-fight the same battle in a year or two. What happens though if they can no longer supply pearl? I don't think a separate peace is out of the question.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Can't resupply Pearl? That's an absurd proposition. The Japanese navy was physically incapable of putting more than a dent into the American merchant marine combined with their shipbulding frenzy.

There's a reason why the Pacific was considered a secondary priority in American strategic planning.

In hindsight sure. But I'm assuming the American fleet carriers are sunk. If that battle takes place at midway, the ijn has midway and naval superiority in the north central pacific. Then next logical step is to deny Pearl supply. Hell, the US was bunkering up Hawaii hard for an invasion.

As for the Germany first strategy, that was driven by close political ties to Europe as well as the not irrational notion that the west coast was immune to invasion.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I agree generally, but even in the irl timeline, the us did bunker the hell out of Hawaii. As to whether the Japanese could have blockaded Hawaii, I agree that they were at the end of their logical reach. Otoh, that would be the sole focus of the war effort in a timeline that has the ijn in control of the central pacific. So yeah it's a stretch, but that's my turtle dove path to Japanese victory. Early mahanian victory against the us navy, successful oil blockade of Pearl Harbor, Washington seeks terms.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I came.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

you son of a bitch you sunk the Enterprise

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Also, how many years have you had that gif ready?

I had faith you'd do it Grey.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

No but really, shouldn't they have more air support?

I'm scared Grey. Tell me it's gunna be ok.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

great carrier reef

Thread subtitle right here.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can someone explain what "runway hits" mean in the context of the game? Does grey have to expend supply to repair the runway in order to fly planes? What is the effect of these daily bombing runs?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grey, any chance you'll be doing another turn on video?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

CeeJee posted:

Even after years of following these LP's the game still makes very little sense to me.

Allied AV: 5482

Adjusted Allied AV: 1

And I suspect it's 1 because of a hard limit and it would have been -2910 or something without that limit.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nope.

Sunk is a "one and done" type affair, but I'll double-check next time I can take a peek at the manual.

Even in shallow water like what happened at Pearl Harbor?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Saw the new Star Wars and the imperial navy is pretty much the ijn. Does that make the Tokyo bay fortress the Death Star?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mikl posted:

"They kicked our asses pretty bad, and what do we care about the Co-Prosperity Sphere anyway? Let 'em have it."

versus

"They kicked our asses pretty bad, now it's PAYBACK TIME :argh:"

Which one do you see America (gently caress yea) going for?

Just means Henry Kaiser is buying another mansion.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RZApublican posted:

The Enterprise went down on my birthday :allears:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fires over two hundred shots and didn't hit a thing? Maybe some glasses for your coastal gunners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Up to 500ish shots with out a hit.