Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I'd like to call the Shōkaku, unless I missed someone already nabbing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 4, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

The Home Islands will be awash in crab legs for New Year's.

You know, the more I learn about the Japanese leadership during the war the more I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they invaded the Aleutians solely for the crab. Admirals gotta eat!

Sep 4, 2008

Jaluit, and it's amazing mixture of organic matter and wartime chemicals/heavy metals, will be the origin of every postwar creature feature.

God, imagine the weird poo poo that would grow if the used it for nuclear tests.

Sep 4, 2008

In this timeline, if the Soviets intervene the price would presumably be a Soviet occupation zone in Japan and all of Korea under their thumb.

Sep 4, 2008

The Soviets are probably the real winners of all of this, unless the Japanese army in this timeline has the strength to hold them off a lot longer. I'm imagining they end up occupying all of Korea and get a zone in Japan.

Sep 4, 2008

RA Rx posted:

I don't think they have the fleet for any zone in Japan, and even if they grabbed enough for a tiny beachhead while the US did all the work it would not be worth pissing off Uncle Sam. Ultimately Japan will surrender to America as the Home Isles are being flattened, not over losing colonial possessions, so it's hard for me to see America not getting Japan exclusively (especially to compensate for any large Soviet zone in Asia), and they might even try to demand some influence in Korea and China if there are any Japanese forces left to turn over their bases to whatever the Americans can scrape together of impromptu Nationalist militias.
(I hope Chiang wins, I'd rather whatever fate crazy fate he would have had in store for us than Mao and his cult, the GLF and CR.)
It's part of why I'm so interested in and keep asking if Grey will fight on after game victory, will Korea and China fall to the Russians (before the Allies combined get enough points to force Japan to surrender) or will Japan cave to America's bomber fleet and nukes first by folding on points before Soviet domination of the Korean Peninsula and China is a fait accompli?

Is it as impossible as people say for Grey to hold out against the Russian military, even if he clears out Chongqing? Probably. But it'd be nice to see him try.

I think you're probably right re: an occupation zone, although I think it'll ultimately depend on how long the war lasts after Soviet intervention and how costly their campaign in China ends up being. Stalin had somewhat wanted to administer the occupation of Hokkaido, but it was a tough sell without possessing it at the war's end or having been in the war longer than a week. A more meaningful soviet contribution changes the situation.

This also opens the can of worms of what the American foreign policy outlook is after the war. It does make intuitive sense that we'd have President Dewey in this timeline, but I wonder how strong the Taft wing of the party would be.

Sep 4, 2008

After seeing a thing yesterday about how parts of France and Belguim are still toxic from WWI, I'm legitimately curious how hosed the south pacific's ecosystems are at this point.

Sep 4, 2008

Reuben Sandwich posted:

I-15's crew and the dead men walking of Charnel House died to prolong a war.

They died to ensure a third atomic bomb is dropped on their homeland :japan:

Sep 4, 2008

Grey used the Yamato to trigger the San Andreas fault and sank America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 4, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Seeing the nuke dropped would be pretty cool.

On Rabaul