Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Once the Big Grey is mass-produced...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's not really 20k lives lost though, most can be revived with necromancysupplies no problem.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Against fighters, yes. If you are concerned about bombers (like say, Germany, or Japan), then you need cannons too.

Preferably cannons with more than like 120 rounds though.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just wanted to make a small callback to Shattered Sword real quick: the American dive bombers "got through" because the IJN carriers ran out of CAP. The IJN carriers ran out of CAP because the multiple American attacks throughout the day kept coming in dribs and drabs, which meant that Nagumo had to keep choosing between launching more CAP, recovering the CAP that was Winchester, and launching a naval strike with his own bombers. And he kept choosing the first two options. Which meant that contrary to popular belief, the bombers weren't on-deck at all - the flight deck was busy working with the Zeros for precisely the same reasons that allowed Dick Best to score his hits in the first place!

And I don't mean to say that the big picture is wrong: the Americans did catch a lucky break, and the Americans did catch the carriers in the middle of flight operations, and the confluence of factors that lead up to the moment of the fatal hits on the Kaga and Akagi were due to the clusterfuck that was Yamamoto's "will they won't they" strategy combined with multiple points of doctrinal failure, but the bombers were below decks.

Of course, being below decks weren't much of a plus considering the flight decks weren't armored and the... flaws in the carriers design when it came to fire-fighting capability.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Read up on that one, the japanese player seems to be very cruddy at the air game and careless on the sea side of things (at least with convoys), at least from what I can compare with other AARs I've read (some Japanese players are really good).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Basic history education in any country seems to lack any sort of reflection on the "why" part. It's mostly just a snapshot of whatever period of history happened to be considered "important" for the nation in question (30-year war in Swedens case) but not a whole lot on the "why" part. If I remember correctly it was "Look at this MAP, look at HOW loving HUGE SWEDEN USED TO BE, HOLY poo poo and man we were NECK DEEP IN GERMANY WHEN SUDDENLY: FOG! THE KING GOT SHOT, poo poo And then the Great Power time was over :( suddenly: RUSSIANS, OH GOD THEY ARE CRAWLING ALL OVER OUR BALLSFINLAND how about we give peace a chance aye? Good thing HITLER only wanted our precious steel and EXCELLENT TRAIN SERVICES (also Russians all over our god drat balls again)".
Nevermind getting anything on the pacific.

Feels like I've gotten 90% of my history education from Games like this, Paradox stuff and whatever books/indepth documentaries I've found online. Just spending a few days with a CK2 or EUIV game on "observe" mode would probably give you a better grasp of history than years of public schooling.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

All the way up until an insane, homosexual Bulgarian Jew founds the kingdom of Israel on the Baltic coast in 1232 AD, loses a war against the Sultanate of Norway and subsequently converts to Jainism.

It really explains everything about modern Europe if you think about it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The sequel will use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH1bZ0F3zVU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Also in the Allied campaign there was a patrol boat that was attacked for a few weeks on some random atoll and kept dodging the bombs the IJN was dropping on it for some weird reason.

That sounds familiar...

:coffeepal:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I hope you feel good about dooming thousands of pixelmen to their deaths with your OpSec breach :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That ship loss ratio is looking decidedly ungood for this stage of the war.