Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Very happy to see GH make another run at the Imperial version. Hopefully the little tyke doesn't torpedo his run.

Looks like the USS Hornet (CV-8) is unclaimed, I'll claim that plucky ship. Let's see if Grey can sink her before she bombs the home islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

I play Axis in a bunch of wargames because I find of of there equipment fascinating, like any TFR goon does. That said, my favorite WW2 story still involvers my Opa pissing on dead Nazis in Holland when he was a boy.

Ah yes, the old classics that get revisited to this day.

http://imgur.com/tj1Dvuk

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

MohawkSatan posted:

Pretty sure a Dutch boy pissing on dead Nazis that had been occupying his country and for a good chunk of his life at that point is different.

War crimes are war crimes whether they're committed by the good guys or bad guys.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Here's today's Amoy report.

Wow, how is this not over? He has over 4 times the adjusted AV with no forts! I thought the capture point was twice the AV with no forts. Can someone who plays WITP explain this?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Pervis posted:

He probably took the base days ago, but the defenders had nowhere to retreat, so now they fight till the death (or surrender) which doesn't work with the same rules. I've seen 50 to 1 ratios and still not finish off the hostile troops for that battle, but eventually the units will either be destroyed or you'll get the message that you have units surrounded at the base (after a battle) which means some of the units were destroyed/surrendered after the battle.

It's kind of wonky and sometimes takes a week or more to finish off enemy troops in a base hex even after you captured the base itself.

Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that giving the defenders nowhere to retreat simply forced them to surrender/be destroyed when they were defeated with the appropriate AV multiplier instead of retreating.

I'm now curious to find out what it takes to get surrounded forces to surrender in lieu of fighting to the death.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

RZApublican posted:

Invading that close to the home islands, though, should spawn a bunch of free divisions for the Japanese.

So the most effective, albeit gamey, tactic is to clear the way if you see that coming?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Grey is closing in on the 2x score threshold. Is that going to unlock an auto-victory when he gets there?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Slippery42 posted:

The 2x auto-victory threshold is for 1945 (it's 3x in '44, 4x in '43, and not available in '42), so he'll need to hold onto his lead until then. In order to get 4x the Allies' score, you'd need to add nearly the entirety of Australia or India to the Co-Prosperity Sphere while inflicting quite a bit more damage than you take in shipping, planes, and troops.

Ah, then we're a lot further off from an auto victory we can point to when the actual situation begins to blow up in our face.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Missed an update due to inlaws, I'll catch up tonight.

I'm not to anal about it this time, as I proved I can do it, and I have a kid now.

Glad to hear it. The kid alone will be plenty to drive you crazy. There's no need to obsess over an update schedule any more.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm honestly curious, Grey, why do you keep doing this? Assembling your primary raiding fleet for a very risky mission is not exactly a routine thing like setting up flight altitudes for CAP squadron #16 would be - Surely a top speed of 18 is hard to go by unnoticed? It's not the first time this exact thing has happened, either.

Is there a deeper reason why your fleet compositions often end up looking like this? We usually only get to see your executed turns here, not your entire thought process behind them.

I think it can all be explained by having an infant.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Gimmick Account posted:

I am aware of that, it's where the recent delays come from, and why sometimes orders are forgotten. But would that really affect actual fleet composition?

I'm just curious if the setup is deliberate (since we're seeing it for the second time in this playthrough), and if so, why. Does the benefit of having more 'meat shields' in the fleet outweigh the speed penalty?

Yes, I can totally see it affecting fleet composition. Speaking for myself, it's far more difficult to give 100% of my focus to gaming and other solo activities with a young child in the house. If you listened to his latest rogue trader videos, you'd realize it's hard to get space to completely focus on one things for the hours it takes to do several turns.

My XCOM play has gotten far worse, for example. Whereas pre-child, I managed to complete a LW playthrough only losing two soldiers. I can see such divided attention leading to sea anchors like this in your fleet, just as it leads to my soldiers getting hot plasma up their rear end.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 10, 2016

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
My headcanon is that's a rocking croctopus. There's enough of it occluded that I can still believe!

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is literally the first time we've seen the original Hornet.

Aye, been looking forward to my lucky ship for nearly 3 years and first sighting has her crippled.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

It's actually a relief after 6 months of wall to wall paw patrol......

Blippi, Paw Patrol, Muppet Babies, & PJ Masks: these are the days of our lives.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Could be worse. Could be Calliou.

Aye, could also be better. Kid only had a brief dalliance with Sarah & Duck. That show was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

No, mien is kamphy enough thanks.

Dont wory in me rushing the witw lp, i need to LEARN to play it first.

I just feel like i have to report to my investors. ;)

Patrons, imo, not investors. Nobody here owns you like an investor owns their investment.

Think of it like people tossing money into your guitar case after listening to you play a decade-long song. They sure hope you come back to play tomorrow, but either way they've already gotten their money's worth.