Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aw yes, super pumped for this :dance:

For my lucky ship I'll take CVL Taiyo please, unless it's already taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

I've not seen brooklin bruiser in ages.

Have you checked behind your living room curtain? :ese:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

My paternal grandfather was too old (and also lame), so he got to stay home during the war. My maternal grandfather was captured by the enemy when we got our asses kicked in Greece, was handed over to the brits, and spent the rest of the war living somewhat comfortably as a POW in India :shrug:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Drone posted:

Come to think of it, has there ever been an LP or AAR where the Allies invaded the Home Islands? I know Grey took Hokkaido in his Allied LP.

There was a two-player AAR on the Matrix forums, an expert Japanese player versus a new Allied player. The Japanese player was winning handily (mostly because of the Allied player having to learn to play the game as they were playing it), so the Allied player went "gently caress it" and launched an invasion of Hokkaido. It turned out the Japanese had overextended because of overconfidence, so the Allied conquered all of Hokkaido in a few days. Then in a stroke of luck / skill he launched an invasion of Honshu and managed to sink the huge carrier/battleship combined TF the Japanese had rallied to fight off the invasion.

Then the game ended because of "save file corruption" on the Japanese side.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you even have saved game corruption? I've been playing a game with goon ElBrak for a year (?) now and if a file goes bad wouldn't you just pick up from the previous turn, which you'd have archived over the hundreds and hundreds of back-and-forth emails?

Understandable for Grey Hunter playing single-player, but in a PBEM? C'mon.

Turns out I was misremembering, here's the AAR on the Japanese side.

Here is about where he invades Hokkaido.

Then he tried to land at Akita after conquering Hokkaido, and succeeds after murdering the battleship/cruiser force the Japanese player had sent to stop him (this is what I was remembering). Then the Japanese player "lost" the savegame, the turn was replayed, and the battleship/cruiser force was fine and the landings were repelled (from the thread: "about 9000 AV was moved to Akita almost overnight before the attack").

After that the Allied player changed tactics, conquered Sadogashima, and later on got a lot of his air force murdered on the ground in Hokkaido (in the thread they called "overstacking on the Japanese side" but I have no clue what that means), and his CVs a little earlier than that. Then a while after that the game came to a stalemate, they got tired and called it quits.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 21, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy poo poo where do you get off being that much of a cheating dick.

To be fair, the Allied player didn't call the Japanese player out on this, and he could have just re-sent him the turn. So it's possible that he did lose the turn, or it was corrupted, and they didn't save the earlier turns from the PBEM.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I forgot, have we gotten a carrier sinking in this LP yet? I don't think so, but I could've missed it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

You keep popping ships just outside Pearl Harbour, and yet no one seems inclined to try and stop you. What the hell is the AI doing? :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Congratulations Cartoon for being the first confirmed actual victim!

CL Leander was his claim

:toot:

Any bets on which flattop will be first to become a reef?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Random question: does this game model fog of war conditions for the player's own units? That is, is it possible to have a ship disappear on you and never find out what happened to it?

(This question prompted by reading about USS Indianapolis, which was sunk by a sub while under radio silence and went down so quickly that the crew didn't have time to send out a distress call so the higher-ups didn't know what the gently caress had happened to her until the few remaining survivors were found four days later.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Quoting from a few pages back:

goatface posted:

Mountain Jungle. Reduce your land speed to Nnnope.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Look forward to a double post in two years' time, since 1944 was a leap year!

e. Also 1948, of course. Can you even keep the game going into 1948, or does it have to stop earlier than that?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dear god, man. Have you sunk anything at Pear? Anything at all? :ohdear:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ooooooo, time travel! Spooky!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

Did Grey skip the 22nd?

Yes he did.

Mikl posted:

Ooooooo, time travel! Spooky!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Guess SOVIET RESPONSE finally happened, huh? Congrats! :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'll do one last low-effort joke.

It was just a Decoy to draw fire away from the Enterprise :rimshot:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Where there are oilers, there are usually carriers.

:gonk: Run, Big E, run!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Hiei, which repeatedly came out of nowhere to wreak havoc before disappearing again. I'm pretty sure it was reported sunk several times too.

IIRC, she was never definitely sunk. She just disappeared into the void again, and then the war ended.

Which means she's still out there somewhere. Waiting.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Over/under on her eating several torpedoes and being sunk?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Reminder: in the Allied LP we had a Japanese cruiser sail right into a harbour where Enterprise's TF was hanging out, doing a lot of damage before being sunk.

Which is to say: weird things happen in this game.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Have the Yamashiro's captain commit seppuku at once. Such a magnificent ship should not have her name sullied by an incompetent wretch like him.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

A White Guy posted:

1 torpedo'd carrier, and 6,000 drowned Japanese dudes in two days. This month is gonna be great.

Our boys will be home by Christmas.

Those who are left, that is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

27 shells into a minesweeper? That's a bit overkill, don't you think?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This game tracks individual machine gun bullets? :psyduck:

And here I thought I'd already seen maximum possible Grognardiness :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

That makes a lot more sense (and is considerably less insane) than what I was thinking.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

How does it feel to be on the other side of the clunkfest?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I distinctly remember a CV (Yorktown? I'm not sure) heading into Sydney for repairs... and getting torp'd twice in as many days by a Japanese sub. (She made it to port safely, but it was still hilarious.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

GAH

MY LUCKY SHIP

GREEEEEEEEEY :argh: :ese:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Of course, out of all of them, it has to be mine that eats a torpedo :argh:

Hopefully it won't be the first sunk Japanese carrier of the game :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The bomb was dropped by Yamashiro. They are kept hidden in the pagoda mast.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

2 Allied ships sighted near Yokahama/Yokusuka?

Is that just a BS scout report?

It's the Doolittle Raid.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ha ha ha, my lucky ship is safe in the harbour :dance:

It'll be her chance to shine once all our flattops are sunk by that single lone allied one :unsmigghh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'm reminded of the Alternate History book "MacArthur's War."

In the book, Japan won Midway by sinking all US carriers present at the battle, but the subsequent invasion was foiled through sheer luck. Then a few months later, there's a Battle of the Solomon Islands in which all remaining US carriers and the Japanese carriers mutually sink each other. Then the US admiral who was in command gets called to Washington, where Roosevelt basically tells him "good job."

"...Good job? I got all our carriers sunk."
"Yeah, but you also sunk all of theirs. With our production capability we can replace our ships in a matter of months, but the Japanese ships once sunk are completely out of the picture. So, good job."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hey now! We did pretty well in Greece until the Greeks kicked our asses and Hitler had to bail us out! Also we did really good in East Africa and North Africa until the British kicked our asses! And remember how fiercely we beat back the landings in Sicily until the British and Americans kicked our asses?

:italy:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm 100% sure the AI "cheats" when it comes to recon - you miss stuff all the time, but the AI always seems to be able to make runs at anything you put in the sea.

Right now scientists they are experimenting with "learning" AIs, which learn how to play a game simply by trial and error by watching the information displayed on the screen, without access to the game's code. It would be interesting to pit such an AI versus a human player.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Paging the AI, time for Doolittle 2: Doobig or Doohome :getin:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

No kills today, but I've got a surprise for you guys coming up!

The Gamilas attack. The Earth's surface is rendered uninhabitable. Only a small part of the population survives. All ships are reduced to burned-out hulks on the former seabed, now a desert. Until a message from outer space is received, with schematics to convert the mightest battleship Earth has ever known into a space-faring vessel. Thus is born...

Space Battleship Yamashiro.

e. Welp, new page. Guess my post is thread canon now!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

algebra testes posted:

We will have to defeat them through the power of song!!!

I remember love. Do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, I need to neutalize them or they could move south in a wave of communist terror.

Can't you just surround them and starve them out? Or would that tie up too many pixelmen you need elsewhere?