Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'll grab the Wasp (CV-7) please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

ZombieLenin posted:

Jarha Bahru

It's Johor (or Johore, but not really). I wouldn't mention this if I haven't spent there the other week.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

goatface posted:

What are you supposed to ignore while you put 100,000 men attacking Singapore? It's silly.

Ideally you want to get to it early and not let it reinforce, more or less as in real life. And the fortress and fortress guns are sort of facing the harbour (which is where the actual city is) but they could still fire at invaders.

wikipedia posted:

It is a commonly repeated misconception that Singapore's famous large-calibre coastal guns were ineffective against the Japanese because they were designed to face south to defend the harbour against naval attack and could not be turned round to face north. In fact, most of the guns could be turned, and were indeed fired at the invaders. However, the guns—which included one battery of three 15 in (380 mm) weapons and one with two 15 in (380 mm) guns—were supplied mostly with armour-piercing (AP) shells and few high explosive (HE) shells. AP shells were designed to penetrate the hulls of heavily armoured warships and were mostly ineffective against infantry targets.[41][42] Military analysts later estimated that if the guns had been well supplied with HE shells the Japanese attackers would have suffered heavy casualties, but the invasion would not have been prevented by this means alone.

Also IRL it's been defended by ~80000 men, although a fair amount of them were mostly untrained colonial troops and with horrible leadership. It's not inconceivable they could've held out for longer. And of course, it does happen to be a hilly jungle island.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 21, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

RIP Private Speech

Dammit I take a break from reading this thread and this is what happens.

That's what I get for picking a carrier runt I guess.