Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
It's back! I'll skip calling you mad Grey, you've probably heard that enough over the past few years. Oh, and Jobbo, put me down for the HMS Valiant.

...what? I claimed it last time, and I like to stick with what worked (she didn't get sunk in the last Japanese LP :colbert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Oh, that's fine, Grey just needs to wait for the "repair" teams to work their magic on our own shippies when damaged. Needs no effort from him :downs:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

KHORNE CARES NOT FROM WHO THE SHIPPIES SINK

Reefs for the reef throne! :black101:

And isn't that a pretty strong maneuver from the USN right now, sending a carrier out to the Marshalls? Even if the KB's recovering from the Pearl raid, it's a bit risky (understatement of the year, I guess).

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

In the alternoverse we've destroyed 100 more allied planes in A2A combat (:eyepop:) but are on pretty much the exact same track in terms of losses. Base points are also nearly identical, and Japanese ship losses are at around the same points value despite the current attempt having about ~10 more hulls lost. Here's the direct link to the old thread for the curious which mostly just proves that this is the one true timeline because we're using the nice map instead of default.

:stare: Well then. To be honest, I'm not quite sure where the massive disparity in A2A losses comes from then - except for maybe the airbase raids in the first two days, but I don't recall the original attempt's attacks going particularly poorly as such. Not complaining, mind. 100 less Allied aircraft is always a nice figure. Just would be nice if there were more dead Vildebeest in that number.

Veloxyll posted:

Try battleship. Fortunately, when your entire carrier air wing says "Yo, our torpedoes exploded when they hit the water," backed up by a presumably VERY cross watch officer from one of your own Battleships giving a very colourful account of how they just got attacked by a bunch of torpedo biplanes, the British were the only power able to figure out their magnetic detonators were garbage in under 2 years.
(The IJN never used them)

To be fair, after noticeable highlighted failures of the magnetic detonators the U-boats had to put up with during the invasion of Norway, the Germans actually cottoned on fast and weren't far behind in fixing those errors.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

See, this kind of late Christmas present combo of the Dutch putting in work and Grey-isms I heartily approve of.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

That was a surprisingly sturdy freighter all things considered. If all of those Kates were using the same bombs, she took 4 long tons of explosives to sink.

Somehow, this bodes poorly.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

goatface posted:

Manila is haemorrhaging allied combat squads. It should be tomorrow.

edit - So probably next week sometime.

Still, even if Manila's defenders hold til next week, at least it'll fall some time before Bataan, which if current divisional CO's tactics are anything to measure by, will collapse sometime in 2018.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Dreamsicle posted:

2018 as in 1944 or a 74 year siege lasting beyond the game end?

Well, I meant the former, but given how long KIAfeng took in the Allied game...

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

God knows Grey has form.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Congratulations Grey! :D

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

So if that kind of accident is the start of the strange week, anyone taking odds on a destroyer accidentally becoming a new bow ornament for the Yamato?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Mikl posted:

Reminder: in the Allied LP we had a Japanese cruiser sail right into a harbour where Enterprise's TF was hanging out, doing a lot of damage before being sunk.

Which is to say: weird things happen in this game.

I'd forgotten about that, truthfully. Was that quite early on? I think I remember the Japanese stepping up their game like that after the shenanigans of the Dutch Navy cruiser detachment finally came to an end. But then again, surely the Allied AI won't make any kind of strange call like that...

Grey Hunter posted:

...Then we took Pegu without a fight, an scouts say Rangoon is empty. I can't believe it yet, but that's what they are telling me.

Well never bloody mind then! All these years later I've still only ever dipped my toes in the shallow end of WiTP, but I'm pretty sure that if the above is true, this must be a death sentence for any Commonwealth forces in Burma who aren't a few day's march from the Indian border. After all, if Grey can just push on up the coastal roads from Rangoon towards India, surely all the troops stuck off the road aren't going to be reached by the Indian supply lines, without a port to get the supplies into?

Not to mention as others have said that the Chinese supply route is stuffed even with only Pegu fallen. Hoo boy. One wonders if the Imperial Guard landing accident was a karmic backhander to balance this potential boon out.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

AceRimmer posted:

Has anyone checked up on the Tokyo Bay Fortress recently? :ohdear:

The Chittagong Citadel?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Drone posted:

Chittadel, please.

Good shout.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Where is the kido butai right now, anyway?

If memory serves, still on their way back from their last big sortie after they laid over in some port in the DEI that wasn't big enough to repair or resupply all of them in a sensible timeframe.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

tunapirate posted:

I think it was discussed in the thread already, but are there any events for Azad Hind/the INA once you reach India?

Not exactly, but the INA / Azad Hind and other Indian rebel groups are represented in a way. If memory serves, the Allies (well, British) have to garrison major cities and positions in India, much like the Japanese have to garrison the Russian border. The difference is that if the British don't or can't, the key locations start taking damage to represent guerrilla action. (I don't remember how this damage is modeled, and would ask someone more experience with the game go over the fine details).

Now that in particular isn't changed by a Japanese invasion, but consider that (notionally) rear-line locations may be stripped of defenders to go and reinforce the front line and thus enable attacks and damage, our invasion might assist them indirectly.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Now, that I hadn't expected.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Considering everything you've got going on Grey, we're just grateful (and frankly, very surprised) for all you're doing. Hang in there!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Similarly: How many Zeros can fail to guard a Betty bomber flight against minimal allied opposition?

I'd guess the answer's the same: as many as it takes to make the Japanese player miserable.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Good god drat, that was something to see alright. First blood ... in all directions and speeds.

One thing that comes to mind though; is Munda airfield big enough where it can supply / maintain all these ex-CAG airplanes? I seem to recall there's a mechanic with small airbases having too many air squadrons put into them damaging their efficiency. And hell, a little bit of help from land-based airpower on Day 2 would be nice.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

...huh. I was honestly expecting that to go far worse for us than it did. I would imagine a single 250kg to the decks of each of our BB's wouldn't do much lethal short of a nasty critical hit?

Now keep chasing down what's left, Grey! Banzai and all that!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

The embodiment of Bushido

So I come back to over a hundred posts and the Battle for Milne Bay going down; now I'm not a massively creative man in terms of images, so I'm just going to leave it at "Holy poo poo, Grey." drat whether or not that changes the overall course of the war, that was fan-bloody-tastic work, gamble or not.

RZApublican posted:

Hey Grey, have you considered trying to take Darwin and Perth? They are usually very lightly defended and you don't really need to hold on to them in the long term. You should consider going after them as they are very likely where the Americans are basing their subs out of. Take them and the amount of sunken shipping to and from the Home Islands should go down drastically, not to mention the much lower chance that of the subs will get a lucky shot on a carrier after their torpedoes improve.

And hey, there's nothing stopping you from doing this, or going with a lower-key general smash and grab on the northern Australian coastline.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

I suppose Japanese High Command has rather earned its' Darwin award this time.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

...Italian torpedo boat Ardente, foundered as a result of boiler explosion and fire following a collision with destroyer Grecale off Sicily. Two Italian forces crossed paths in heavy weather...

Is there, on record, a mention of two Italian TFs or convoys passing near each other and not losing a ship? I'd be surprised at this rate.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Owww, that was a lot of bombers lost. To be fair, though, given the slaughterhouse on merchant shipping you've run over the last two days, a dry day today isn't that bad.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, drat! Banzai doctrine and trusting blindly in luck looks to be written into naval doctrine for the forseeable future.

Mikl posted:

(Where do you think that invasion fleet was going anyway? Guadalcanal?)

E: That or Tulagi, I would have thought? I mean, much further west and the TF goes back into a nice big empty stretch of ocean for a few days and I can't imagine the Allied AI would do that.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Jesenjin posted:

Or some Imperial Japanese soldier had too much sake before aiming his cannon.

Or someone was conducting a funeral, and misunderstood where the "forty gun salute" was supposed to be aimed.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Awww. Congrats, Grey!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

wukkar posted:

Did the Italian navy sink goddamn anything that wasn't Italian?

I have a vague recollection of them blowing up a German transport once or twice?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

HMS Valiant, HMS Queen Elizabeth, HMS York.

Errr.... the Valiant wasn't sunk. Damaged by limpet mines and sent to drydock, but she lived to be scrapped in 1948.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

I have no idea what these guys are doing here.

:stare: Well, from the looks of it, taking ten men per one of your tanks/tankettes and putting Garand rounds into it until they kill the drat thing, run out of ammo, or both.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

21 October 1943

Canadian minesweeper Chedabucto, declared a total loss after a collision with SS Lord Kelvin.

Because the Allies decided it wasn't sporting to let the Italians have all that collision fun to themselves, I suppose.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They skipped class.

Surely if they skipped a ship class, they would have said they were attacking a BC?

:v:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Owwwww. Well, if you're going to go down, go down swinging I guess?

(To be fair, sign of the end for Japan or not, a day where three US fleet carriers are sunk... E: The Battle of Kusaie Island, I assume? Well, it'll definitely be going in the history books.)

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Good God, this is the sort of gently caress-up that leads to governments/generals falling.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

They fight hard, but are soon wiped out.

You know, for yet another suicide wave against the defences at Jaluit, that was actually a hell of an attempt by these guys. Nasty number of destroyed squads.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

You know, if nothing else, the IJN really is proving that sheer bloody stubborn-mindedness can move mountains. (Ones made of broken bodies and hulls, but still.)

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Kodos666 posted:

it seems the subs skipper wasn't good enough

:heysexy:

First dylguy then you now, drat it

:golfclap:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

What in the

Well, that's one way to continually ruin the careers of successive forward-thinking naval theorists, I suppose.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

OK, Grey, we get it, your Raiders are pretty damned legendary, turn the "outrageous banzai" valve back down now :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Just be careful, otherwise the USN will Schedule an Entourage of very much alive carriers to put in an express Mail delivery of death on top of the raiders.

And then there will be Accounting in Tokyo.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 28, 2018