Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'd like the CA Furutaka for a lucky ship.

C'mon, Taco. You can survive the war this time. Unlike real life where you died. Like most IJN boats.

Also, good luck, Grey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

megane posted:

I can never keep track what the heck is going on in this game, but I look forward to watching Grey sink the British Navy. Maybe on purpose this time.

Note the only confirmed sinking he's achieved was, of course, British. :britain:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donkringel posted:

I would like to call CVE Gambier Bay.

A fan of Taffy 3, huh? Good choice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speaking of massive subs, going to build the I-400 and go after the Panama locks?

I can't decide if the I-400 or the Surcouf is sillier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suppose it all depends on if we can make it up the tech tree enough to activate the Zakus hidden in Tokyo Bay.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the operational number in that fight might've been 'we have 238 tanks, you do not have any.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neophyte posted:

"Fly me lower! I want hit them with my katana!"

Grey's fighter pilots were clearly replaced with War Thunder pubbies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Merry Christmas! Hope you unwrap a fleet carrier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My maternal grandfather was one of the guys who was going to drive the landing craft for an invasion of Japan. He never saw combat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would love to hear stories from people who crewed the glorious flying whale that is the PBY.

Catalina is the best boatplane.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

lenoon posted:

Edit: the real crime here is people somehow believing that the Catalina was the best floatplane of the war and not the majestic Sunderland.

Tell me of this Sunderland, I lust to know more about boats that are planes of all kinds.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Do the PBYs fulfill their real role of rescuing downed pilots and other personnel, too?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It wouldn't be a proper war without people occasionally disobeying your orders to do something incredibly stupid. Or awesome, sometimes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Germans couldn't even invade Norway without losing a poo poo ton of destroyers and cargo ships, against a country that, by-and-large, refused to believe that Hitler would invade them and were incredibly unprepared. Sure, the Allies helped with Britain providing a lot of naval assets, but assume for a second that they would have to attack a location that brings them much closer to the RN and RAF... and you quickly realize that it wouldn't work without hand-waving a lot of issues such as air support, naval support, supply/logistics, and so on.

If the Germans had years to practice amphib landings, build the appropriate vessels to do so, and develop more support... you still ignore giving the English that same benefit.

It just doesn't work. We're talking about an operation that was hastily thrown together in 1940 that was to occur in 1940 without the means to achieve it.

Don't forget what happened to the Blucher.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LeadSled posted:

...I've never even heard of a land-based torpedo launcher, until now.

I learned about it when I visited the Occupation Museum in Oslo.

They're really proud of loving up that cruiser. Also where I learned they voted in the death penalty just long enough to hang Vudkin Quisling, then immediately repealed it once he was dead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't forget the early Zeroes didn't have radios, while the US planes did. I'm not sure if they added them to the Zero eventually, but I remember listening to a Japanese ace giving an interview about how on really long flights after heavy fighting, they'd lose pilots to falling asleep in the cockpit and there was no way to radio them to wake them up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gnoman posted:

Whatever pilot you're remembering must have been flying a different aircraft - a complete radio set was part of the design requirements for the Zero from the beginning.

Really? My apologies. I might've misinterpreted what he was saying and he instead just meant 'if they conked out in a moving plane from exhaustion, radioing them wasn't going to be enough'.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JitLr5D7LSI found the interview in question.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Subs will forever troll Grey. When he's the allies, they slip his ASW and destroy him or their torpedoes go clunk. Here, well. Bad things will happen.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the real question on everyone's minds right now should be: "Where is the CA Furutaka? Is it seizing its glorious taco destiny?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I admit I claimed it for a lucky ship because it's a terrible boat in all the on-line boat-shooting games and yet I can't help but love it in them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny, but didn't the US pilots in the Pacific despise the P-39? What made it work out so well on the Eastern front?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I need to know more about IJN torpedoes. I've heard they had a tendency to blow up the boat they were on but did a great job in general.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BuOrd REALLY hosed up on those torpedoes, man.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It looks like we're making solid progress in Changsha.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Have you considered lowering bomber height? It's tough to hit anything from 5 miles up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cartoon posted:

Slightly unrelated but has anyone else sniggered that the tech advance in Civ V to get submarines is refrigeration?

Look, man, that ice cream machine was goddamn necessary.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At least it's down to 3, and most of what Grey lost was disabled.

Plus, an Allied Unit being destroyed is promising.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Danann posted:

Well ice cream did fulfill the dairy part of dietary requirements back then. Plus the servicemen liked ice cream enough that destroyers picking up downed carrier aircrew often got an ice cream bounty for it.

I was in no way kidding. If I was going to be strapped into a steel coffin under the ocean with lovely non-functional torpedoes, I'd want ice cream and air conditioning, too.

Plus, didn't the AC actually help prevent corrosion or something?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZombieLenin posted:

Correct. Repulse was the BC, and despite her speed, really had no business in a shooting war.

Wasn't that the case with the entire concept of a BC, considering how often they just loving exploded?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Some of your ships will be sunk by "Unknown" but I'm unsure if its limited to subs, or even solely caused by them.

Goddamn Sharktopus!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZombieLenin posted:

On top of that their hulls were incapable of supporting anti-torpedo bulges

Oh dear. I was not aware of that part.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hey there, Myoko, I recognize you from various bote-based vidjagames.

I hope the Furutaka is staying safe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't part of the reason for the stunning success of our subs that Japanese ASW was really really poo poo? Like as lovely as their damage control?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Right wing militarists are pretty notoriously bad at weighing the odds of military conflicts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Did they remember to have their enemy be in a long period of Imperial decline and also fighting off revolutionary movements that showed it had lost the loyalty of portions of the military because that was a big contributing factor there.

But yes, the Russo-Japanese war was huge and also what put Japan on the map of Imperial Powers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Congratulations and best of luck!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Helena was a pretty neat ship. Kinda glad you didn't manage to kill her.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Yup. More than a few submarines by various nations have been sunk since their invention by surface ships ramming them, intentionally or otherwise. Some of the latter never even realized they'd collided with a submarine.

This is one of the possible fates of the Surcouf, amazing ridiculous french submersible cruiser/professional bad idea.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

February 1942, en route to the pacific.

Poor Surcouf. You were too gloriously dumb for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pensacola nooooo!

You're supposed to survive the torpedo and being on fire for 12 hours, not die.