Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'll take the sister ship the CL Tatsuta.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My great-grandfather was an aerial photographer in the Pacific theatre. I was digging through some boxes and came upon a few of his photos. I guess my great uncle has thousands like this, so I'm going to hit him up and see if he can digitize them. The names on the ships are too small to read, but I can definitely pick out Japanese characters on the stern.

No idea about the bear, it was mixed in with the rest.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I like it, but it has lots of problems some of them inherent to the conflict, and some design decision. If you want to drive across europe as Patton and invade Italy it's a bit of fun the first two times you do it but after that you get sick of babysitting your pilots and making sure they have nap time.

It's also great because the conflict slowly ramps up in complexity so it's a great learning grog game.

I haven't played WitE but people seem to rightfully criticise it because you're not making sweeping strategic decisions it's more about running up and down the line until you find the right math that allows you to break the german lines.

WitE definitely runs into a mass line issue. A lot of it is finding that weak spot and then exploiting it. So instead of Kursk you might have Rzhev, or wherever you find the hole. I enjoy the scenarios more than the grand campaign as you can get the essence of a battle without slogging through dozens of turns of finding that one hole. It has a different sort of long-game than WitP. There's the same theater level background action interspersed with a turn or two of madness.

WitW is fun a few times but once you get a firm foothold in europe it feels like the same game over and over. I was disappointed to not see a Bulge style attack happen. Again, the scenarios end up being more fun than NaziStomping in the grand campaign.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

the matrix forums have tons of WitP AARs but most of them are unreadable, jumbled messes of poorly formatted text and dead picture links, so you have to trawl through a lot of junk to find the really good ones.

I was just digging for one the other day and with the Photobucket apocalypse nearly any, and every, grog forum is filled with thread after thread of gorgeous let's plays replaced by Photobucket hosting errors.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

You think they're ever gonna do WitP2?

They're doing WitE2, so I guess anything is possible?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

The game? lovely and boring beyond just how broken and groggy it is.

The thread/watching progress? I read every update and enjoy the commentary.

Do as you will grey, but I will be sad if you end it without at least some mad charge of the carrier brigades at the end :)

Same! I enjoy checking in, seeing the progress, and hoping something amazing happens.

I'd hate to see you continue for 2 years just to find out the game is bugged out and nothing will ever happen.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

pthighs posted:

Literally lol if you don't have a circular slide rule sitting on your computer desk.

Don't doxx me bro. My first engineering job out of college required me to use a circular slide rule before they allowed a digital calculator. Circa 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bravo Grey! It would have been tough to stick with it this long knowing the AI was retardedly broken.