Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

someday I'm going to actually manage to make it to a grey hunter LP on time, but for now I'll claim the CVL Zuiho .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Mikl posted:

:toot:

Any bets on which flattop will be first to become a reef?

assuming it's not a random allied carrier off doing something dumb by itself, I'll guess one of the Japanese light carriers not in the Kido Butai. Probably it'll get jumped by an allied taskforce and not manage to limp home like the Ryujo did

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 15, 2016

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Rad. I finally get to see my lucky ship again and she's getting torpedoed. Poor Zuihō

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Training cruisers like the Kashima don't really have the same kind of speed that a cruiser actually made to go out and fight would.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Edited to better fit Grey Hunter's actual talents

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

and there goes my lucky ship, the Zuiho. rip little japanese cvl, you were never gonna survive the war anyways

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

As a training cruiser, the Katori has basically no armament, is hilariously slow at a max speed of 18 knots, and was almost entirely unarmored. I'm not sure I'd take her over just about anything you could conceivably call a real warship

EDIT: To go into more detail about what vyelkin said, Fletcher class destroyers had 5 5inch guns and 10 torpedo tubes to the Katori's 4 5.5 inch guns, 2 more 5 inch AA guns, and 4 torpedo tubes.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 25, 2018

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

if the Hyuga has been (or will be) refit into a carrier, it seems like it shouldn't operate with the rest of the regular surface battlefleet?

if WitP is anything like IRL the actual planes will do terribly and be basically useless. Even if it's nice enough to assume that the planes are going to actually be able to launch and land the Hyuga is almost certainly too slow to realistically be an effective part of the Kido Butai

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Saint Celestine posted:

? ...what rocket AA

this one http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_12cm_AA_Rocket.php#mountnote2

as far as I'm aware they only saw service IRL on the Unryū class carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I assume he means what happens after her conversion into her battle-carrier thing?

basically irl they stuck a flight deck over the stern after midway to try to replace the lost carriers. As far as I'm aware they never even got aircraft