Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Whelp, there goes your tempo in the Philippines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

quote:

We have defiantly turned the corner here.

Well at least no one can accuse the IJA of being timid :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Peanut3141 posted:

So the most effective, albeit gamey, tactic is to clear the way if you see that coming?

Worked for FDR :colbert:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

Maybe the AI is somehow hindered by the arcane logic of WitP.

The Allies sent a submarine to Tokyo harbor, but did not set it to attack. It sat in Tokyo harbor for two weeks, parked at a distant dock and getting refueled. One day a Japanese officer appears with a telegram from the USN stating "You're supposed to sink the Japanese ships." The American sub leaves the dock, slips below the waves, and the man who delivered the letter, the IJA Officer smiles

...and that man was Grey Hunter

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Nothing like a suite of morale victories to bolster the home presses! Will this mean that Greys surface fleet can act with near impunity outside a luckily massed carrier TF now that the Iowa is down? And is it worth counting damaged planes for anything?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

All this defeatism in thread is what's going to cause our glorious battleships to fall. I want to see some real elan here folks, else I'm running you through with my katana reporting you up the chain of command

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

She isn't sunk, she's simply taking the fight to the GIs that have been insidiously attempting to hold territory on the ocean floor :unsmith:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

simplefish posted:

Yes but also no

If GH is looking to double the Allied score, and is ahead, every 18 points the Allies lose are worth 9 points to him in losses.

Another way of looking at it is that if he loses 18, the allies have to lose 36

A bit more, because he's still trying to hit the point where he only needs to break even. My guess, without really knowing the game, is that the 1945 victory is gonna come down to him getting lucky and steamrolling the lack China pocket while stemming the bleeding in the pacific. So basically up to RNG and AI fuckery.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Feel like Wake is gonna get about as many ship kills as the entire air force come '45

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Spontaneous combustion is real and it is my friend

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

McNally posted:

I'm hoping the carriers get too close to a shore battery and get blown to hell. It's about the only thing we haven't seen yet.

The gunners at Turk wiping an entire carrier TF would be the most glorious thing

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Some insane planners in the USA read too much Roman history, and figured that since they can't beat Japan in a naval battle that they'll just produce (read: sink) enough metal sheets so that the army can march from California to Japan in the worlds largest boarding action.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

We should be charging the US shipbuilding industry for all these wonderful business opportunities we keep creating.

The war was caused and perpetuated by a secret cabal of shipping magnates that needed a spike in profits from lucrative govt. contracts

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I love how not even an overwhelming numbers advantage can get you to break even. Honestly seems like your better off just sending single zeros into the 100+ flight swarms and hoping that it causes enough confusion that multiple allied planes collide mid-air before taking him out.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Send the Kido Butai on a surprise raid on Pearl Harbor! They won't expect such an audatious raid a second time around so late into the war, how could it fail?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Ah, so this is where Hunter's tongue gets bit off

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

...wait, how many ships is that? Can you do that to other west coast cities and shut down huge chunks of their late game fleet?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Could this new carrier group be the one to actually buzz Rabul and put it down for good!?

fake e. of course it won't, they'll beach their carriers on Wake and lose half of them to the shore guns.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

My guess is that a burning Japanese Carrier performs one last banzai attack and manages to take out two opposing carriers via ramming their port side. This will not be considered too strange by future historians.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Every day like this in the skys makes me less and less hopeful that you can get the 2x threshhold for '45. How much longer do you feel like you can sustain these sort of losses, even if your carrer force remains mostly intact?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Maybe they're just planning to send wave after wave of carriers to bait out your carrier fleet, such that it's much easier for them to thin out your frame and pilot pool with their superior flak? Like you sunk two carriers vs none and you still came out negative in the plane trade :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Sad King Billy posted:

I can't help but feel that the Japanese success in this war will just lead to a far less favourable post-war situation.

Adding 1000's more casualties on top of Pearl Harbour will just lead to a more humiliated and vengeful USA. On top of that Macarthur is probably sacked or dead, good for the American war effort, bad for Japan.

I fear that Japan might be raised to the ground?

Check the points, soon the American fools will tire of war and they will have to settle with the gains made by the Prosperity Sphere :smuggo:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Well, good luck with that. Certainly gonna need it if your fighters aren't getting any!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Ever get the feeling of deja vu?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Seems like the Americans have been closing the point gap a bit in the past week or so. You got any plans to try and flip the script to get the '45 autovictory (outside China), or are you just bunkering down and hoping for Chunknig to pop in December?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Flip back to the Vietcong vs AZNAC game

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Operation: Decisive Battle

No matter how it goes it still works as a title :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Declare the Emperor insufficiently patriotic and invade Tokyo/Naval HQ

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Does the game model the possibility of a nuke being a dud for whatever reason?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Your navy is 100% more effective against their airforce than your actual carriers or airforce.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The Japanese secret wonder weapon will be dredging out all the sunken shipping of the allies and using it to create a networked bridge system strapped with guns

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Looking at Chunking, all my troops there are finally back at full strength. So I need to give the attack another go!
This is going to be bloody.

:unsmigghh:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

That's total bullshit.

Invade the USSR.

While raiding Pearl Harbor

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Easy, now that the Yamato is a sitting duck she can force the decisive battle on terrain dictated by the IJN! Bushido spirit will easily carry the day, I will hear of no naysaying!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

5 more days at 2 knots, right?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

So at this point all of Grey's heavy hitters are gonna be in drydock till 45, right? Looks like the AI will finally be able to start their island hopping campaign :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I'm going to be so hurt when the Yamato gets sunk a day out from port

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

He's rightfully afraid that he might find a couple Katanas in his back should such negligent warmaking have been done on his watch.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

We didn't even get to see it go down :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Take her and lil grey to a battleship museum :nsacloud: