Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Friend Commuter posted:

Aren't the Chinese armies always out of supply in this game?

Yeah but now they're like... EXTRA out of supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Chinese barely have any supplies even when they're not surrounded and cut off, so starving out the last little bit would have little effect, let them dig in more, and take time/pixelmans that would be better spent elsewhere.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think you're just trying to throw us off the scent of you landing in San Francisco 2 weeks from now.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wait they tried to scuttle the Hornet via friendlies shooting it up? It didn't have a more purposeful method of scuttling available (say, propping open all the bulkheads and opening up the seacocks/setting off some demolition charges)?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Confirming sunk ships at the very least is the enemy government/press officially admitting to the world that Ship X has in fact been sunk.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Grey defiantly doesn't pay much attention to the thread complaining about typos and graphs. Really, almost unreadable graphs are a vital part of the experience.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What strange universe do you come from where goons don't sperg out over the strangest things?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

How many tankers do the Allies get? I know their more mundane transports (especially xAK's) are functionally infinite but are we appreciably affecting their ability to transport fuel by dropping all these big tankers and the odd oiler? Ditto for troops and the big liners we've sunk, too.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What's this? 40 new posts since I checked last night? :getin:

Edit: H... how did two massive carrier fleets get within basically visual range of each other without noticing? I can't wait to read this universe's version of Shattered Sword.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 15, 2016

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

The option to buy oil from the Allies doesn't really exist though. The embargo is really what precipitates the Pacific War in the first place; getting oil means stopping their colonial adventures in China, which was fundamentally unacceptable to the Japanese leadership. Even if we assume a Gay White Emperor with unlimited powers, convincing Japan that it doesn't get to be a colonial power in the 30s is the same as saying they don't get to be a world power, as good as the whiteys. You can't sell that without a time machine to show them just how ruinous the true Pacific War will be.

I think you misunderstood what they were saying, because the message I got is pretty much what you said. RA Rx was saying that Gay Black Hirohito with a 21st century history textbook would have been better off buddying up with the Allies (including backing off of China for a decade or two), and waiting until the 50's for the European empires to fall apart. Then they could build the Co-Prosperity Sphere out of all the newly independent and unstable Asian nations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

No no don't you know that history is like Paradox games? As long as the Japs have a valid CB and whoever they're attacking isn't sphered they'll be fine.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Is there any way it could have lost its air group without itself sinking (i.e. does the game model tossing the planes overboard for whatever emergency reason)?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A) Borderline free (at least compared to having to mine, refine, and ship them otherwise) materials are good and cool, but
B) Disturbing graves

We're not QUITE desperate enough for that, give the planet a few more decades of reckless resource depletion before we start melting gravesites down into toy cars.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh I know it's happening, just saying it probably shouldn't.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Didn't we have this exact conversation a week or two ago, or was that the MilHist thread?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wow, 60 new posts, did the war graves discussion get THAT intense or did Grey sink the E... no, it's never that.

*45 seconds later*

:captainpop:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

wukkar posted:

So Grey finally lets the battleships out to stretch their legs and they do this. :stare:

Where are Yamato and Musashi? Let the big dogs eat.

Didn't we lose one of them already or was that in another one of the WITP LP's going on?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Why does it feel like they just copy-pasted the Wikipedia entries?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I'll admit I didn't read that far, this one's on me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Did the Allies just try to land an unsupported base force and nothing else at Luganville? I don't think these are invasions so much as defections...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Shame he had to go back. Apparently there's something about Ohio that makes its residents want to fling themselves off the planet.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

We also see another carriers worth of planes lost “destroyed on field”

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

wedgekree posted:

So how many carriers worth of planes have the Allies had as 'operational losses'?

All of them. The ones that matter, at least, they've probably got some garbage CVE's and such left.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Judging by the point jumps Big E and Lexington are more than just hulked, they're sunk for good. There are literally no American CV's (can't remember if the rest of the Allies have any) left (besides Hornet?), and when fresh ones show up they'll have to start with green pilots. The Battle of Milne Bay tilted the carrier war firmly in Grey's favor for quite a while.

God, I wish I could read this universe's version of Shattered Sword/Eagle.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 6, 2016

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well that was rather anticlimactic

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

wedgekree posted:

How can 350,000 men and a thousand guns have an AFV of 0?

AFV's are Armored Fighting Vehicles, you're thinking of just AV (Assault Value). They can still get to zero adjusted AV after accounting for supplies, training, morale, terrain, etc. in this stupid ground combat model.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

How many points does it take to free up the Tokyo Bay Fortress? He may be saving up for that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I don't think recent events lead to the US peacing out, but the Battle of Milne Bay would probably be a huge blow to the carrier advocates in the USN, as well as a political upset back home.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Does anybody know the exact formula for whether or not pilots get rescued? Because all those American pilots went down deep in enemy territory and the fleet that could conceivably rescue them was destroyed almost to the man, with the survivors scurrying back to port.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

This entire timeline has just been one anemic showing by carriers after the other. If this was real life, I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of US carriers getting canceled in favor of superheavy BB's like the Montanas.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Forum claims Ikasuhito posted but it ain't showing up. Maybe this will shake it loose.

E: Yup, there it is.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Neophyte posted:

SEA PATROL

Holy loving poo poo dudes...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I mean, it makes sense, it's just a weird image (to me at least) that the turret's not anchored to anything. I logically know that if the ship is turned upside down you've got much bigger problems than your turrets falling out, but it just seems wrong that the main thing differentiating a battleship from a very strangely designed freighter isn't actually bolted on anywhere.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM WHEN DID THE JAPS INVENT TIME TRAVEL TO MAKE THE 16TH HAPPEN TWICE RR THE WORLD WONDERS

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For a guy with the nickname "Bull," Halsey was sure a sensitive motherfucker.

Dude starts crying and goes drat near catatonic because of some security padding. I can think of very few examples of people with thinner skins.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

@realCLTromp tweeted: "The liberal Japanese intelligence is reporting me as sunk. They can't even keep track of a single ship properly. SAD!"

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 18, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

And I like literally none of the people listed there. For big macho military men, a lot of these people are incredibly childish. Not Nimitz/Eisenhower, though, they're the dream team.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

All the prisoners were herded into large vats and rendered down to their constituent Victory Points.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Jesus Christ, those Allied shipping losses are horrific. I know they have functionally infinite capacity once the US starts making GBS threads out a billion Liberty ships but still, the past few days have got to hurt.