Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

There are many things that WITP does really well.

Land combat is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

LLSix posted:

What flag is that over Manado? It's not USA or UK. It looks like a sideways French flag.

Uhhh.... the Netherlands.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

goatface posted:

Are India in as an entity or are they just under Britain?

Indian bases all have a British flag on them.

Canada is also in-game, mainly just for anti-submarine patrols on the West Coast.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I like collecting the Dutch navy together and forming a little elite raider group :3: Dutch cruisers and submarines are fantastic.

Shame about the air force though. Do they ever upgrade their outdated Buffalos and Dorniers? I feel like at some point they turn into P40's?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hey Grey, logistical question about running an LP like this of a grognard game: during turn resolution do you just take a ton of screenshots and then only come back and post/comment on the ones that turned out to be most interesting?

I've thought about doing a grog AAR or something before and I can't decide if it would be easier to just spam print screen or just take a video turn and then grab frames from the video as screenshots after the fact.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Steinrokkan had a pretty good Japanese one that got abandoned twice. He had invaded the western half of Australia when the LP petered out (for the second time). Shame too, he had a really great style of interspersing gameplay with actual WW2 photography and stories.

You need archives to view the thread now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704111

To compare to Grey's progress, but this time in-game (2nd February 1942), Steinrokkan had just taken Rangoon, a theater that otherwise has been silent in this LP so far.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lol at the thought of those Claudes plinking away at the armor on a B-17. The "damage" reported there is almost certainly just chipped paint.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grey Hunter posted:

Its also hard to remember MY timeline to the posted one.....

Do you keep notes to yourself from session to session so that you remember what your plans were? I find that's basically a requirement when playing WitP.

Edit: also I found this pretty cool thing on Youtube that shows roughly how the fronts changed in the Pacific theater on a day-by-day basis, if anyone wants to keep track of how Grey's doing (a cursory look says he's pretty much on-schedule with how the Japanese did IRL, with the exception of being slightly ahead in the Port Moresby area of New Guinea and having much more activity in China, one of Grey's real strong suits judging by the last LP and this one so far). Unfortunately this video is very much [citation needed], but it's probably good enough for a general idea.

Things that we can hopefully look forward to in the coming weeks: the invasion of Sumatra and the opening of the Burma front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1rzp2YVxQ

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 8, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fort Level 4 will do that to you. Bataan could easily have another week before it falls.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thankfully WitP has a December 8th scenario that gives you the historical result, but it seems to not be terribly popular for LP's or AAR's.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's no such ship in the game, which is weird as it was a real ship... weird.

The real question: is there a Kobayashi Maru in-game?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I want to say that there are several different scripting "paths" that the AI can take that are randomly assigned when you start a game (ie: sometimes the AI will load a set of scripts that follow historical strategy, some that prioritize different islands/theaters/whatever, etc.).

But yeah, AI scripting in WITP is best exemplified by Grey's Eniwetok meat grinder in the last game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ZombieLenin posted:

I would use this, except one of my favorite things (and the only thing that excites me really in the first bunch of turns as the allies) is trying to save Prince of Wales and Repulse.

If there were a way to have a December 8th start, but at least force the die rolls for the attack on PoW and Repulse, I'd play it all the time.

Playing as the Japanese it doesn't matter so much, but watching the Pearl raid is kind of satisfying even if you don't get historical (or even close) results.

You can definitely save Force Z. I play pretty much exclusively from the December 8th start date and have been able to save PoW and Repulse maybe 65% of the time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

goatface posted:

Isn't that a really tiny airfield? Or am I reading that tooltip all wrong?

It's small but not teeny tiny.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Random question, but does Java have enough supply/fuel production to make it effectively self-sufficient if an Allied player tried to just fortify it like crazy? The issue with doing a Fortress Java strategy in my experience is that Japanese air and naval control over the Java Sea makes it hugely problematic because of the difficulty in keeping the island supplied. And unfortunately all the good ports are on the Java Sea side of the island and there's basically nothing really useful on the Indian Ocean side, so there's little chance of finding at least one kind of safe harbor for supply transfer.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dreamsicle posted:

Reposting this here from the Grog Games thread since I got no response:

Here you go:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17472

Written by (I believe?) gradenko_2000.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Bye bye, Dutch air force.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

A White Guy posted:

I probably missed a few things, but in my own humble judgement, Japan is doing worse than historical. This is gonna be a loooong 3 years if Grey can't start making serious steam.

He needs Palembang like, yesterday.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Take. Palembang.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Well, Balikpapan has oil at least.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can we get a brief rundown on your strategic thinking with what's going on? I know it's a day-by-day LP and all but things are feeling dangerously static right now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Why prioritize Javan oil over Sumatran? Sumatra produces much more and is a much easier nut to crack than Java.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Palembang should be pretty easy now, but Batavia is not going to fall without a substantial amount of support. Maybe if Singers falls soon, you can ship much-needed reinforcements from there down to Java.

Also real glad to see the Kido Butai hitting some targets of substance, even if they were horribly inefficient about it.

Would mounting an air raid on Soerabaja be possible/beneficial? As an Allied player I usually turn that into a pretty major naval base in the early game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can't wait for the SOVIET RESPONSE.

(Best of luck to you and Mrs. Hunter, Grey!)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

How far into India can a player get before those reinforcement hellarmies spawn? You know, the same ones Australia gets if you get too close to Sydney, or the US gets if you land in California.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

My knowledge of the Pacific war isn't really that in-depth... were Dutch submarines as badass IRL as they tend to be in WITP?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nth Doctor posted:

You're coming close to summoning Fred.

Kinda been surprised at multiple points over the last few days that the discussion about Japanese destroyer doctrine and Long Lances didn't summon him.

Edit: what if Grey Hunter names his kid Fred?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grey Hunter posted:

This one is a little late, as I've just driven back from the hospital on 26 hours without sleep.
In other related news, I'm now a father.

ALLIED RESPONSE

Do you have a little grognard or a little grognardette? :3:

Also:

Gervasius posted:

Congrats on little Kiddo Butai!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ikasuhito posted:

Congratulations Grey on your newly earned status as a father and your upcoming string of sleepless nights.

And lo, we have witnessed the death of LPs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Please tell me this is a typo of Johnson. Please tell me Grey Hunter put a typo on the birth certificate.

That would be defiantly funny.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grey Hunter posted:

I've not forgotten the post. But some one has only just got to sleep and I'm rocking him with one hand and phone posting with the other.
Post as soon as i can stop.

:kimchi:

Make Uncle Ugleb take over posting for you!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yessss, raid the gently caress out of Surabaya.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kindof a shame it looks like the AI didn't turn Surabaya into a huge base. Still big and you'll still get some easy pickings from the ships there, but nothing gigantic like a BB.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Weren't Japanese tanks kinda plagued by using subpar steel in their construction too, since all the good poo poo went to the Navy? Or is that a myth?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Don't regenerated/purchased units come back with less efficiency/morale/whatever than their previous incarnations though? Or am I getting that confused with War in the East?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm willing to bet that there's at least one CV in Sydney, if not two.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I do kinda love how the Royal Navy often tended to have ship names of the same class all start with the same letter of the alphabet. It's just so attractively alliterative :swoon:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fortifications in Singers are at 0!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Moresby looks way heavily fortified, hopefully not with those Australian divisions that are some of the best in the game :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yay, I finally see my lucky ship (BB Fuso)! Was wondering what those BB's have been up to the whole war.