Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Realbarrow posted:

Just a reminder, the Operational Report header is still showing (day)/12/42 rather than (day)/12/41. Top-flight stuff otherwise.

Please don't ruin my Grey Hunter immersion in the future, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Unsurprisingly, Grey kills a British Sailor.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Veloxyll posted:

well, it's not like they're going that far. :p

You'd be surprised how deep the pacific can be in spots.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Aren't you supposed to run a huge positive K/D in China to just break even as Axis?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Congrats. Don't death-star your only child by mistake and you'll be a great dad!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sullat posted:

Hopefully you don't have to manually order them to tie down the aircraft for rough weather in this game when you are ferrying aircraft.

More than that you'd try to figure out why your carriers didn't send up and CAP and it turned out that they all got tied down 2 weeks ago and you never manually unclicked them.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Note that Chokai didn't literally blow up. That's a situation mostly limited to British ships (and Taiho) :v:. Having her launchers explode just caused extensive damage to the middle of the ship and, most crucially, knocked out her engine and steering. That combined with taking a 500 lb bomb a few minutes later (and the IJN fleet leaving) basically made her unrecoverable though.

She was actually still afloat hours later when she was scuttled by a destroyer.

It's pretty hard to actually sink a ship without a torpedo. There are many ways to make it useless but unless there's a gaping hole below the water line it's not going down quickly. All 5 carries sunk at Midway required a torpedo from a Japanese Submarine to sink.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Welp, lotta of crying pixelmothers tonight.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I assume this was the "big thing" you alluded to a week and a half or so ago.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Misspellings will continue until morale improves.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's always nice when you can open the thread, look at the first image in the new update and fistpump real hard.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Looks like Chungking should fall soon!

I think there are a ton of troops in Chungking that they're not attacking with and would get a massive bonus on defense.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's with the rare ship classes today with the CM, AP, and AG. The CM is a minelayer but how is AG and AP different from AK?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

(x)AK ships transport cargo, (x)AP ships transport people, AG ships can repair/rearm AND transport cargo.

Ok that makes sense because historically AG-31 Argonne was also listed as AS-10 Argonne as a sub tender.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
US Marines sure living up to their name.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pthighs posted:

Wouldn't the accuracy of a bomber be more about the bombsight and unrelated to the plane itself?

Bombsights are basically way too precise for what normal atmospheric conditions are. The Norden bombsight would allow you to land a bomb in a cardboard box but only in 1 out of a 100 days in the desert with zero wind or temperature inversions ground to 10,000 ft.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
An AO and two CLs is cool but I'd rather drown 10,000 pixelmarines.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Will we ever get a proper count of troops sunk or will we just have to guess it from troop loss points?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

i81icu812 posted:

:confuoot:

2/2 on lucky ship kills

Hmm, now what to pick...

Go big on whatever CV is coming next.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So which one of those Sherman variants floats the best because the allies should start shipping that one to the pacific?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I have to say it's cool as hell that you can reenforce a worthless island and then kill every single reenforcement in a single shock attack.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

All research on the Bomb has been cancelled and instead scientists are now desperately trying to figure out how to give Marines gills

Ice 9 dropped into the South Pacific. Just drive Sherman tanks across Tokyo Harbor.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
We're not quite at Anzac day yet Grey. You need to save some for later.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
someone's gonna have a story of a B-17 landing with a clean 18" hole through it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

:chloe:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
J rations back on the menu, boys.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

algebra testes posted:

If she was called the Harvard none of this would have happened.

Have we seen CV Bunker Hill in the grey timeline yet?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

gently caress it, chase down the carriers! Put Musashi in a tiny task force that will go back and bombard Noumea

Nothing like putting on Operation Ten-Go mid 1943.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If I were a us marine in the greyverse and they wanted me to get on a ship I'd frag my co and run into the wilderness.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Send your entire China army to Noumea and bring the battleships

And who cares if the Russians are in Busan in a week. No one likes likes Korea anyway.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Goddamn do I love drowned US Marines.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

two_step posted:

So will the AI just keep invading Luganville until it succeeds? Can't you just make the place a fortress and stall them forever there?

Didn't the Japanese AI do that with Eniwetok? I feel like it gets target fixation sometimes and if you can sink/beat back the first invasion force they'll just send reinforcements forever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I imagine that newfangled "radar" contraption probably helps a fair bit with making flak more effective.

Also paired with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Might as well give up now. The rituals have been performed. The sacrifices have been made.

Your new gods have no power over this realm silly hu man.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is the East Bay on the same hex as San Fransisco since the shipbuilding was distributed pretty well in both?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is that half a million troops in Chunking going to become a doomstack once it gets released or will it require too many resources to ever become anything?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

simplefish posted:

Also George Orwell was 6'2 and got shot through the neck in the Spanish Civil War, probably related.

E: and if memory serves, the average British soldier in ww2 was 5'9, for comparison

Sounds like it would have been way worse if he was 5'8.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grey Hunter posted:

This, however is a worry.

The Elder Gods will not take this slight lightly and will bestow untold horrors on those responsible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Losses were bad enough as it was, prox fuses would have ended strategic bombing entirely.

Did late war germany have the industrial capacity to manufacture proximity fuses?

Edit:

There's a whole lot of precision manufacturing to build something like this.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I guess it's also worth noting that the allies also developed RF countermeasures that would prematurely detonate proximity fuses so their value might have been mitigated in a war where both sides robustly understood their mechanism.