Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'll say it again here for clarity's sake, Mongolians don't have real surnames and only started using clan names for a similar purpose in the 2000's. So Arban is his given name, and will probably be the only one he ever actually gives to anyone. edit: Working on fluffing out the debts.

quote:

> Someone is hiding you from someone, or something, powerful. You owe them a Debt.
There is always something bigger and meaner. I do not know who owned my former prison, but after the first assassin I gathered that they were not pleased with me. Two and three meant that they were powerful enough to lose men for something petty. A short time after I had established my territory, the attempts on my life stopped and I was approached by Mr. Taisu. He told me, with the help of an interpreter, that what I had claimed belonged to his family, but since I was doing a fine job of "keeping it clean" they were prepared to make a deal, answer to them and I would continue to be assassin free.

quote:

> Someone hired you for a job and you hosed it up. You owe them 2 Debts.
Mr. Devitt was put into contact with me when he needed some information held by an uncooperative individual. Unfortunately for everyone involved my struggles with this dammned tongue led me to the wrong person. Several days and a lot of yelling later the mistake was caught, but the real target had already disappeared by that point.

quote:

> Someone lives in your territory, benefiting from your protection. They owe you a Debt.
I met Luc when word of a soothsayer reached my ears. The Chinese fear those with the power instead of giving them the respect they deserve, especially in these dangerous times, so I was quick to extend an offer to him. He may be even more foreign than I am, but the chosen are picked for a reason.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Sure. Maybe in some sort of mutually beneficial deal? You could have your territory's obligation be to the family.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
My own:

quote:

»» You’re protecting someone from a dark power. They owe you 2 Debts.
Luc St. Pierre, I guess? Evil beings don't tend to like oracles exposing their deeds - chances are one of them tried to attack them. Jian is both a spiritual and practical person - a real oracle is too useful to let die!

quote:

»» Someone is trying to save you and keeps suffering for it.You owe them 2 Debts.

Maiyu Liang would be my choice here. They've likely met on opposite sides of a battle until she realized what was really going on or he told her?

quote:

»» You have a demon patron who holds the contract for your soul. You owe them 3 Debts.

Chilong, obviously.

Others:

ShootaBoy posted:

I think Jian would work best with this one. My territory in the slums could fall under his families' area of influence.

Sure. Maybe in some sort of mutually beneficial deal? You could have your territory's obligation be to the family.

Ferrosol posted:

Not sure on this on either. Maybe Luc maybe Jing hell maybe even Jian?

Sounds hilarious given the circumstances, I'll take it if you want. Maybe it's a friendship born when we were enemies - until you realized what was up (see my second debt) and then became my rival, and later my friend?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 20, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

quote:

Someone told you their secrets and you haven't told anyone about them yet. They owe you 2 Debts

Maiyu Liang

quote:

Someone thinks they are protecting you, but its really more like you are protecting them. You owe each other a Debt
Philip

quote:

You are leveraging dirt you have on someone to get their help with something. You owe them a Debt.

Jiao Mei

My reasonings are up for grabs but basically:

Maiyu Liang and I are actually fairly close to each other geographically and we got to know each others subtle cues of knowing about the supernatural when I was trying to talk to some of her working girls for information about a particular visitor they had been having.

That visitor turned out to be a red pole with some intimidating connections on the wrong side of a particularly spiky occult fence, and I had to talk to Philip as a go between so as not to get too involved. Philip is trying to lean on me as a fellow scholar and he seems to be a wiser head than some others I have met, so I make sure that none of his lackeys actions land him in too much trouble.

And as for Jiao? I am trying to find for myself a proper exorcists sword. Not one of the cheap knock offs they sell for cheap at the markets but a proper bronze one. Its proving tricky and a friend of a friend set me off trying to find one with Jiao. Hence why I owe her a debt.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 19, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh by the way, do we have an IRC?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

It's #shanghaishadows on syn.irc

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
I'm good with everything posted so far, and it all seems to make sense. Not going to worry about taking more debts until we filter down to the last few.

quote:

»» Someone helps you understand your dreams and visions. You owe them 2 Debts.

Chao has been quite a help with all of the issues with visions. Some of the metaphors are strangely local, so getting a translation has been nice. Plus, she understands the power in visions. I don't have to explain every time how dire things can be.

quote:

»» You’ve had a dire prophecy about someone, but you don’t know how to help them...yet. You owe them a Debt.

Taisu has quite a bit of darkness following him around. It isn't clear about where things end, but it isn't good and it isn't clear. Maybe with more time, I will find out exactly what is happening with the man and his..less-than-wholesome nature.

quote:

»» You are helping someone realize their true potential through your visions. They owe you a Debt.

Maiyu has been a frequent source of visions and I feel like they're pushing me to make her more than just someone who hunts down monsters. Sadly, it doesn't pay the bills, or I would be working on this project much more than I have been.

Let Old Man TLB Have His Fun But Don't Encourage Me posted:

»» Everyone's name starts with J. Come on, there's name generators for this sort of thing. They owe you an explanation.

I don't know where this came from.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Luc St. Pierre: Who is your best,and most reliable customer, and what do they usually ask for? How do you plan to get more control over your current situation?

My most reliable customer? That is a strange one, given how long I've been here. I guess it would be the dock authority, a Mr. Shu Shang. It is not glamorous, but looking for missing containers and missing items pays the rent. It is my part of my plan for gaining control. Finding some sort of job that pays consistently, since holding a normal job is not going to work given some of the unusual reactions I've had in the city so far. This may seem like a simple answer, but I am a simple man. Once I can afford a few books and some more.. help with my visions, I can hopefully find some time to relax.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 20, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

GodFish posted:

Someone makes sure you get fed regularly. You owe them 2 Debts.
Not sure! Jiao Mei uses her Opium Den to get her feeding for the most part, perhaps someone is acting as a supplier to keep the amenities flowing, or sends humans her way?

GodFish posted:

Someone relies on you for their fix. They owe you a Debt
Also not sure! Mei can and will provide you with pretty much ~anything~

GodFish posted:

Someone bears responsibility for you becoming a vampire. They owe you a Debt.
For this one, I think Phillip is the perfect fit, since the vampire who turned Mei was driven out of Shanghai by some humans for unclear reasons awhile back.

Having a dire prophecy sounds like fun, and if you don't mind Josef, Jing's leveraging dirt background seems like the perfect fit for Mei.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

GodFish posted:

Not sure! Jiao Mei uses her Opium Den to get her feeding for the most part, perhaps someone is acting as a supplier to keep the amenities flowing, or sends humans her way?

Sounds like a job for Jian Taisu! What with Wo Shing Wo's main trade being drugs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sounds perfect will alter the names, just so long as you don't mind trying to get me an exorcist sword!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Everyone should get their background fiction finished so we can get this thread launched, imo.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

People still need to actually claim mine!

Also shootaboy I have no bloody idea if the one between you and me are done yet because you are stretching it out across two pages in a really confusing way whyyyyyyy just put every debt information in the debts post like everyone else please.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 20, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

GodFish posted:

Someone makes sure you get fed regularly. You owe them 2 Debts.
Wo Shing Wo provides the best drugs at a quality/price ratio, and good enough I don't have to worry about customer complaints. They aren't always easy to get from, not at their better rates anyway, but I've got an in. Jian Taisu is the one providing that in, so I make sure to give him some favors for connecting me. I think we're both happy with how things turned out.

GodFish posted:

Someone relies on you for their fix. They owe you a Debt

Luc. Luc, where do to begin with Luc. He's an interesting fish. But the important part is that he's always a fish who loves his drink, and loves his opium. Both of which I am more than happy to provide. More than happy.

GodFish posted:

Someone bears responsibility for you becoming a vampire. They owe you a Debt.
As I explained, Liao Liu turned me while fleeing Shanghai because of some trouble he'd had with a leading figure among the Onyx Tortoise. Now, the main person the trouble with is currently dead. But I hear the one they call Phillip Devitt-Pendlebury was apparently involved. Not entirely sure how, but, well. He isn't dead.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Moved to below prompt.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 21, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
It looks like we're done with debts, so next step!

Pick a character your character trusts the least, they'll mark a faction for you and you roll that faction! I'll put the game thread up tonight, if we get that mostly done today.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

At the beginning of every session, choose the player of the character you trust the least to spotlight a Faction for your character (that isn’t already marked) and mark that Faction. Tell the MC about a rumor or conflict that you’ve heard about that Faction, building on previous established information if you’d like, and roll with the Faction:

Picking Rauri for this one. Mages! :shepicide: *Hearthstone rage*

Chao
marks Night.

Session start stuff:

Rumor for Mortality:

There's been a series of thefts affecting various large crime families, even ours. It's rather strange, however, that there never are ANY traces of the thief. People are suspecting supernatural powers, but what exactly would be this good at it?

Season Intro roll (Mortality): 2d6+2 7

I have asked Maiyu Liang for help on this matter, albeit I was unable to disclose the real reason of why I am so concerned about this. Namely, the staff Chilong is making me keep safe. Thankfully, she agreed without asking too many questions about the matter. (+1 debt on me)

Unfortunately, such a situation raises the tempers. Guo Liu Hong depends on me more than ever to keep the peace both internally and externally. Which means I get favors. I... am a man who likes having favors open. (+1 Debt on Guo Liu Hong, the Dragonhead)

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 21, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'm picking GodFish for this. Adding a new generation to the genre spanning werewolf-vampire feud :drac:

edit that I actually saved this time: Mei is marking Wild. Maiyu highlights power.

Wild Rumour
A friend recently brought word that one of my people was spotted in the city. I do not know if they are one of my companions or not but based on what I was told they are probably in the same situation I was. I must find them.

Intro Roll (Wild) 2d6+1 13

edit edit: Lemme know if/when I gently caress something in this up.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 23, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Picking Jiao Mei/ Godfish for this one for definite.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 22, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Picking Arban/Shootaboy for this one. Never trust a Wolf!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Picking Jian Taisu for Chao's least-trusted. She doesn't know Jiao Mei is a vampire, or it'd be her.

Yami - Taisu marks Mortality.
Godfish - Mei marks Night.

<Rauri> Chao's Season Intro Roll - Night
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 2-1 = 1
<Rauri> and then there's that

I've heard talk that Voljek not only survived my attack upon him, but that he's even daring to openly reveal himself as both a defector from the Chakravanti, as well as one of the Undead. I don't know how that's possible - I literally unmade him, destroyed the spells he used to bind his spirit to existence - but I'm going to look into these rumors, obviously. Problem is, I'm not sure where to start looking... and if he is back, then he knows exactly where I live.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 21, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Chao is Mei's least trusted, her whole order being a bunch of undead hating jerks.

Arban highlights Wild
Jing highlight Power

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Mei is probably the one Luc trusts the least.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Luc, highlight Mortality.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Phillip currently doesn't trust Mei at all

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Everyone hating on the vampire :smith:

Philip, highlight Night.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hey Jing, I don't think I got a clear answer on this?

quote:

DEBTS
• Someone relies on you for training or knowledge. They owe you
2 Debts.

Possibly Jing? He's the kind of western educated, forward thinking young Chinaman Phillip would be interested in grooming as an agent.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

Hey Jing, I don't think I got a clear answer on this?

Oh I noted it down already in the Google doc, but yeah that is absolutely fine!

Also for rolling:

http://orokos.com/roll/354384

Apparently got a 5 so I am in the caring hands of the GM. Bugger.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Need four more start-of-session rolls, then we can start! Let's gogogogo!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

[05:47.15] * ChanServ sets mode +qo Nown Nown for #ShanghaiShadows
[09:02.20] <thelazyblank> !r 2d6+1
[09:02.21] <Krysmbot> thelazyblank, 4+1 = 5
[09:02.25] <thelazyblank> whomp whomp

Now, the fluff bit:

I am looking into a missing person, as one of the types to do such a thing. Don't know much about the woman, but she's the girlfriend of someone important to the local French political claims, and they heard through the grapevine that I could help find people. They thought it would be best if I kept things quiet and all. Her name is Francine D'Augustine, and I've been offered a good sum of money to bring her in alive and safe. I don't know how I'll do that if she's actually captured, but one problem at a time.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

[21:17] Ferrosol ShootaBoy highlight a faction for me
[21:17] Ferrosol so we can get this show on the road
[21:31] ShootaBoy uh let's go with power

[23:38] Ferrosol !r 2d6+1
[23:38] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 6+1 = 7
someone owes you a debt someone there I owe a debt to.

Shung Yu the self proclaimed Master Earth Sage had a little problem. One of the earth elementals he bound to his protection somehow broke it's bindings and managed to escape him. His reputation would've been ruined if that had gotten out. Fortunately he had the sense to pay me to deal with it. Problem with earth elementals though is that they're tough bullets and swords bounce off them so I had to rely on brute force and a pair of borrowed enchanted Chui from a friend to put it down. Wasn't an easy fight by any means but luckily it was one of the weaker elementals and I managed it with nothing more than a few bumps and scrapes.

Shung was pathetically grateful and paid well for my help and more for my silence. Still if it got out that the so called master couldn't handle a simple elemental then his reputaiton would be ruined.

Although if you believe the rumours he's not the only one magical enchantments have been failing all over the city, Bindings dissolving wards fading, runes not working quite as they should. Something's going wrong and everyone has their own pet theory. Some blame the foreign devils. Others say it's some sort of organised plot to bring down the magi. Still others say that it's all a myth and enchantments fail all the time it's just bad luck that a couple have gone at once.

Qiáng Niú is one of the most popular alchemists in the city. He brews up potions for every occasion and remarkably most of them work. He has a long line running out of the door of his little shop in the old quarter. I've been known to peruse his stock on occassion and I still owe him big time for help with that Japanese demon thing I fought last month. Still need to find out where that come from. Strange he knew what it's weaknesses were. "I've been around a while" he said cryptically Didn't even demand payment there and then and just said I could owe him. Just hope when he calls in his debt it's not for something I'm unable to handle.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Season Intro Roll (Night): 2d6 7

I can't actually find this in the book what does it mean?

There's been a disruption in the low-class flesh trade that's made big waves among the (Night) set - several of the brothels that cater to foreign sailors that are also known to be a sort of feeding ground for the worst kind of parasite have been burned to the ground with substantial loss of life. I suspect a turf war between them, but so far my investigations have hit dead ends, quite literally in the case of one witness.

Mei's establishment is a little more upmarket and less, ahem, specialized, than the ones that have been burned down, but it does have similar occult underworld connections. I doubt she enjoys having my attention focused on the place any more than I enjoy relying on her to keep quiet about my surveillance, but for the time being we will have to put up with each other.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 29, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

thatbastardken posted:

Season Intro Roll (Night): 2d6 7

I can't actually find this in the book what does it mean?

quote:

At the beginning of every session, choose the player of the character you trust the least to spotlight a Faction for your character (that isn’t already marked) and mark that Faction. Tell the MC about a rumor or conflict that you’ve heard about that Faction, building on previous established information if you’d like, and roll with the Faction:
On a 10+, you’re prepared for the conflict you laid out: you’ve got a Debt on someone in that Faction or a useful piece of information or equipment, your choice. On a 7-9, you’re neck deep in it: you owe someone in that
Faction a Debt, and someone in that Faction owes a Debt to you. On a miss, you’re caught flat-footed, unprepared, or unaware: the MC will tell you who is coming at you.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
IC thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757846

People who haven't finished their Session Move stuff, finish it soon, please~

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
<godfish> <godfish> <Rauri> godfish - mark night
<godfish> <godfish> <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
<godfish> <godfish> <Krysmbot> GodFish, 7+2 = 9

Ghosts are, naturally, one of the best sources of secret information. My birds and rats and other such creatures are a more reliable source, given I don’t need to offer anything in exchange, and ghosts are can be so tricky to fulfill the vices of… given their state. Not unmanageable, just… more work.

On that note, there is a new, or rather very old, ghost in town. Word on the street -that is to say, my word- has it that they were released by some wealthy British ‘archeologists’ digging around an old burial site. Regardless of who or why, the spirit has taken to possessing people en masse, in their attempts to get the foolish humans who violated its tomb. Sadly, I seem to have been drawn into this mess somehow...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, its been a week exactly, just checking in to make sure everyone is okay?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Game is dead, sadly. I should have known better than to start it up during the Christmas season, sorry.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Game is dead, sadly. I should have known better than to start it up during the Christmas season, sorry.

Awhhh, well if you decide to do another game then consider my name down for it!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

gently caress, I forgot to bookmark the game thread and never even posted, I'm the worst.

character creation was a blast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Yeah making the chars was fun. Plus I got some actual experience with the AW system, which will come in handy at some point.

• Locked thread