Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J
Jun 10, 2001

:siren: DESYNC IS FIXED. :siren:

The Atlas of Worlds expansion and the Essence challenge league launch Sept 2nd, 2016.
Watch the atlas of worlds trailer here.

https://www.pathofexile.com/

What is Path of Exile?

Path of Exile is a free to play action RPG created by Grinding Gear Games. It takes place in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast where you kill monsters and grab loot. The game has a ton of depth when it comes to creating character builds, and the free to play implementation is one of the best of any game out there. Try it! There is a standalone client available from the website, or you can get it on steam.

That's mjolner discharge, AKA gently caress your framerate, here's a billion explosions.

Free to play? :barf:

The store features purely cosmetic effects, and account features like stash tabs and character slots. There are no exp potions or boosts, no locked boxes that require real money to open, or any other stupid pay2win bullshit. You'll want more stash tabs eventually but you start with 4, and the game doesn't throw tons of crap that you feel obligated to hold onto. 4 stash tabs should last you until you know if you like the game or not.

Do I have to be online to play?

Yes.

How do I play with goons?

Edit: There is now a path of exile channel on the goon discord here: https://discord.gg/AkcVFAX As of this edit Budgie and Rodent are there and can handle guild invites, although the IRC will be kept going as well.

I'm copy/pasting this information from the previous thread - I don't know poo poo about the goon guild, feel free to let me know if any of this info is out of date or incorrect and I will update it.

:siren:DON'T PM ME ASKING FOR A GUILD INVITE! :siren:

quote:

We have a guild. We used to have two, but now there's just the one. How to get invited, courtesy of skyl3lazer:

Don't PM me for an invite. PM Skyl3blazer with a link to your SA profile, and in your profile include your character name in there. Or just get on the IRC: #pathgoons @ irc.synirc.net
The officers are: katasi,(also available on IRC), bugsy, dbk, pokchu, budgie, Hauki. Skyl3lazer is our leader. If you PM someone on IRC for an invite, include a link to your SA profile and include your character name in there as well.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Hello Friends,

As there is now the ability to see time since last logon to guild, I am doing ad-hoc purges. You're fair game if you've been offline for 1 month according to the game, so if you're actually playing you'll be fine. If it turns out we fill again and there's no 1+ month offline people, I guess the guild is Actually Full for that duration.

Basically it's time to start petitioning GGG to add some more guild slots is what I'm saying.

Here's a beginner's video guide series that will answer a ton of questions.

What are the classes?

Your class choice determines where you start on the passive skill tree, what skill gems you get from quest rewards, and what skill gems are available from vendors. That's it. Any class can use any skill or piece of equipment, presuming they meet the str/dex/int requirements.

When the ascendancy expansion is released in early 2016, each class will have some class-specific skill trees available only to them, but worry about that when it actually comes out.

• The Witch
    Intelligence focused character, starts with the fireball skill gem. She starts at the north side of the skill tree. A good pick for any spellcaster or summoner type character.

• The Templar
    Intelligence + Strength. Old man who doesn't wear pants. Starts with the glacial hammer skill gem, on the northwest end of the passive skill tree. Suitable for all sorts of builds both melee and caster alike.

• The Marauder
    Strength. Barbarian brute. Smash things, lots of life. Starts with Heavy Strike, on the southwest end of the passive skill tree.

• The Duelist
    Strength + Dexterity. Suave motherfucker. Good for dual wield melee builds. Starts with Double Strike, on the south end of the skill tree.

• The Ranger
    Dexterity. Excellent for bows and other projectiles. Starts with Burning Arrow on the southeast end of the skill tree.

• The Shadow
    Dexterity+Intelligence. Starts with viper strike, on the northeast area of the skill tree. His area of the skill tree is being reworked with the 12/11/15 patch to include more chaos damage and damage over time nodes. He also has some physical damage, elemental damage, and crit nodes.

• The Scion
    The "advanced" class, starts right in the middle of the tree. Must be unlocked on your account by playing through normal difficulty and finding her in a cage in the area before the final boss of act3. A very versatile starting point with lots of easy to reach jewel nodes, although the nodes next to the scion start aren't as good as nodes at the very start of the other classes. The versaility of being right in the middle of the tree makes up for that though. Starts with Spectral Throw.

What's up with these skill gems?

Skill gems are how you give your character abilities to use to kill bad guys. A skill gem must be placed into a matching color socket on your gear to be able to use it. For example, the fireball skill gem is colored blue. If you have a blue socket on your gear, you put the fireball gem in there, and in the bottom right you can assign fireball to a hotkey. Hooray, now your dude can cast fireball.

Any skill gem socketed into your gear gains experience as you kill bad guys. Eventually you will be able to level it up, indicated by the gem icon with a + button next to it on the right of the screen. If you don't want to level it, right click that prompt to hide it (it is still visible just below your inventory to level up if you change your mind.) Levelling a gem makes it better but also increases the stat requirement to use it, so be careful of that. If you have +10 intelligence on an item, and level up your fireball, and then later un-equip that item, you might gently caress yourself so watch out. Also, all gems gain the same amount of experience when socketed in your gear, they don't split it. If you have extra sockets feel free to throw gems in there to level them up for later or to sell. Gems socketed in your weapon swap weapons DO gain experiece as well, you should be levelling 6 gems on your weapon swap.

Some gems are classified as support gems, meaning that they improve other gems they are linked with. For example, you can socket a "faster casting" gem in a socket that is linked to your fireball to make your character cast fireball more quickly. This generally increases the mana cost of the ability by some percentage, indicated on the support gem itself. You can, and should, have as many support gems as you can linked to your main killing ability, provided you can afford the mana cost.

The color of the gem also generally indicates what stat it takes to use. Red for strength, green for dex, blue for int. Some gems require a little bit of two different stats.

What's the best class?
    That's not how this game works. All classes share the same tree, they just start in different spots. Of course, some of them are better at certain things than others. I'll get back to this in the passive section.

What the gently caress is this skill tree??
    The skill tree intimidates the gently caress out of people at first. Don't try to look at the entire tree all at once - most of your points are only going to be spent in one region of the tree.
    Basically, the tree is split in 3; intelligence (blue), dexterity (green), and strength (red).

Every class shares the tree, they just start in different spots. Some of the nodes are much bigger; they are major Keystones that more-or-less dramatically change your character.

If you are making your own build for the first time, something will probably be wrong with your character. This is normal and fine. One of the most common rookie mistakes is taking all offense and no defense. This isn't a game where you can comfortably kill stuff safely offscreen all the time and never get hit. Always pick up more %Life from the tree. Try to aim for at least 150% or so. The offline skill calc and poebuilder.com give you totals for most everything which is super useful.

What build should I play?

The classes/builds forums on the official forum are actually a pretty decent place to find build guides. Look at the overall quality and effort put into the guide, and the size of the thread. lovely or unproven builds won't have many replies. Look for builds that are beginner friendly, that don't require specific unique items or other expensive gear to function.

What are these orbs? What do you mean there is no gold?

Orbs are the currency of path of exile. They are consumable items that permanently modify items in some way. They also have trade value with other players. Rule #1: if you're new and don't know how rare an orb you just found is, loving ask somebody or look it up. Any orb can drop anywhere, at any level. As a general rule, you are most often better off trading your orbs to other players for item upgrades, rather than trying to spam orbs on your own items to craft yourself something.

Note: these lists aren't in exact order of rarity, I just grouped them up to make it easier for new players to skim so they don't gently caress themselves over by wasting a rare orb they shouldn't have.

Common orbs

Orb of Augmentation - adds a mod to a magic item that only has 1 mod. Feel free to use these, you generally can't trade them.
Orb of Transmutation - Turns a white item into a magic item that may have 1 or 2 mods. Use these too if you want, or vendor them for 4 scrolls of wisdom a pop. Vendoring unidentified items gives you shards of transmutation orbs.
Armourer's Scrap/Blacksmith's Whetstones - Improves the quality of armor or weapons, which improves the base damage or defense. White items gain 5%, blue gains 2%, rares/uniques gain 1%, with a quality cap of 20%. There are a couple of
different uses for these which I'll mention later.
Chromatic orb - randomly changes the colors of the sockets on an item. These are common but also important and you will want a lot of them at some point when you have a cool item with the wrong color sockets.
Alteration orb - Takes a magic item and gives it a new set of random mods. These are very useful and you will use a lot of them rolling flasks and jewels. You get alteration orb shards by vendoring identified items.
Jeweler's orb - Randomizes the number of sockets on an item. Note that the itemlevel of an item (put the item on your cursor and type /itemlevel), determines the maximum amount of sockets you can get by using these on it. For items that max out at 6 sockets like chest pieces or 2 handed weapons they need to be roughly item level 50 to roll all 6 sockets.
Chance orb - upgrades a white item to a random, higher tier rarity. Could be magic (blue), rare (yellow), or unique, if applicable. Basically gambling.

Uncommon Orbs

Glassblower’s Bauble - Improves quality of a flask, by 5%/2% for white/blue flasks.
Fusing orb - reforges the links on an item to a random state (that it's not currently in). So if you have an R G B item, using a fusing might make it R-G B, R G-B, or R-G-B. The odds are NOT equal though, the odds are weighted against you fully linking your item, heavily so for attempting to 5- and 6-link.
Note: if the item has quality on it, Jewelers and Fusings, when used on that item, will “consume” the items quality and, for that roll only, improve the chances of a favorable result. So if I jeweler a 1 socket, 20% quality item, I’m more likely to get 6 sockets compared to an attempt on a 0% Q item, but I also lose the 20% quality.
Alchemy orb - Takes a white item and turns it into a rare item with random properties appropriate to its itemlevel.
Scouring Orb - Turns an item into a white item with no mods. Sockets and links are preserved, however. There are some really advanced crafting uses of this but that's outside the scope of this post.
Blessed Orb - rerolls the numeric values of the IMPLICIT mods on an item. So say we have a 20% cold resist sapphire ring, say it’s magic and has +life and +fire resist on it. Using a blessed orb on it will reroll the cold resist percentage value only.
Chaos Orb - this is basically the us dollar of the PoE economy – always in demand, high use-value, many many things on trade-chat will be denominated in terms of chaos orbs. It does the same thing an Alteration Orb does (rerolls an item with new random properties), but for rare items. So it’s a version of gambling, but a structured one – one of the methods of end-game crafting involves alch’ing a desirable white item, and then chaos spamming it until the item is amazing. Trade chat values fluctuate a lot, but this is worth roughly 2 fusings. Most of us mortals will use these primarily for trading, it can take a LOT of them to make an end-game white item into a great rare.
Regret Orb - Gives you 1 passive respec point.
Cartographer's Chisel - Improves quality of a map.
Regal Orb - takes a magic item and makes it a rare item, adding ONE random mod. Since this three-mod item will likely be of little additional utility on its own, you can do one of two things with it 1) chaos it – this is dumb since if you didn’t care about the mods that were on your magic item, for the price you should have just scoured and then alc’d it 2) use exalted orbs, coupled with eternal orbs, to meticulously craft your ideal item.
Gemcutter’s Prism - improves the quality of a gem by 1%.
Vaal orb - Corrupts whatever you use it on. Corruption has a huge variety of potential effects depending on what kind of item you use it on. More importantly, a corrupted item cannot be further modified by any other currency orbs! Well, that is not entirely true, but let's just say further modifying a corrupt item is ridiculously expensive and just about never worth doing. So if a vaal orb fucks up the links and colors of your item, it is bricked. But good corruption effects are really, really good and can take an already good item to insanely good status. It's a form of gambling.

Rare Orbs

Exalted Orb - The rich man's currency of PoE. If a rare item has less than 6 properties, an exalted orb adds another one to it. This is just about never worth actually using yourself. You should trade these, they have immense trade value. Generally most of the best items in the game are traded for exalts.
Divine Orb - rerolls the EXPLICIT numeric values on an item. So for our Sapphire ring example earlier, a divine orb would reroll the life and fire resist only. Note that the range isn’t fully random, there are brackets depending on which specific life prefix you rolled – look up item affixes before you start considering using divine orbs on your things.

You won't find these so don't worry about it

Eternal Orb - These don't drop anymore, but they do still exist in some quantity on standard league. They let you create a snapshot of an item, and restore it later. So ultrarich crafters use an exalted orb and if the mod they got sucked, the eternal orb can restore the item back to how it was previously.
Mirror of Kalandra - This creates a copy of the item you use it on. A legal dupe. However, the duped item cannot be further modified by any other orbs, so you better make sure the links, socket colors, quality, etc are exactly what you
want beforehand. Mirrors are beyond super ultra mega rare and if you find one you basically won the lottery. Lucky rear end in a top hat.

I hosed up my build. How do I respec?
    If you do all the quests across all 3 difficulties, you'll get 18 skill refund points. Yes, you have to refund skill nodes 1 by 1. You can use orbs of regret to gain additional refund points if needed. Note that once you get the hang of it, you can level really fast in this game (more on that later), so if you aren't rich it is easier to just make another character if you REALLY hosed up. Follow a guide and you probably won't gently caress up enough to need to reroll.

I found an interesting build but it says that expensive unique is required! gently caress!
    It probably isn't. Some uniques really do help some builds. Some of them are expensive, some of them are a little rare, some of them are common. Some builds are based around specific uniques, like any facebreaker build, or anything low life (you need a shavronne's or solaris lorica, or chaos damage will kill you). But generally there is a variant of the build that doesn't need anything expensive.

What league should I create my character in? What's a challenge league?
    Challenge leagues are generally 3 or more months in duration and introduce a new mechanic or two into the game, along with a fresh economy. The next challenge league is the talisman league, starting on Dec. 11th. There are softcore and hardcore versions of the league for those who like the permadeath experience. Once the league is over, your character gets moved to Standard league. Or hardcore, if you played the hardcore challenge league. Any character that dies in a hardcore league gets moved to Standard.

Generally you can't go wrong playing the challenge league. I think most goons play the challenge leagues. If you really, really like your character you can keep playing it in standard afterwards. There is nothing inherently wrong with playing standard if you want, but you're liable to be lonely, and also the economy is a dumping ground of every item that has ever dropped for the entirety of the game's existence. Plus you miss out on the new additions of the challenge league.

Vaal Power Siphon.

I keep dying??
Cap your resistances! (Maximum is 75% by default) There's a -20% penalty to all resistances on cruel and -60% on merciless, which are generally balanced around the assumption that your resistances are capped. Swapping rings is a pro way of dealing with resists while levelling. Some bosses only deal certain types of damage, like Merveil is all cold damage. Putting on two Sapphire Rings makes the fight a complete joke. Some uniques have a ton of resistances. See Aurumvorax and Goldrim. you also probably need to get more life on your gear or on the passive skill tree.

On top of that, your flasks are really loving important. You always want at LEAST one bleed removal flask. It is a good idea to also have a flask that removes freeze, and a flask that removes curses. A "seething health flask of staunching" provides an instant heal, and removes bleeds at the same time - it is a great "oh poo poo" button.

Beware of the "corrupted blood" mod on elite monsters. It is a stacking bleed effect that stacks up as you hit them. It will kill you really fast, which is why you need a bleed removal flask.

What's the deal with these random guys offering me missions?

Those are masters, added with the forsaken masters expansion. They spawn randomly and will give you reputation for completing missions, and will appear in each act's town. Once you get the reputation level of a given master to level 3, talk to them in town and click the "create hideout" option to create your very own barbie dollhouse! The master you use to create the hideout determines the tileset, but other than that, it doesn't matter so just pick the one you think looks the coolest. Each master will have a crafting bench you can get from them, that modifies certain types of items. As you level up, more recipes will be unlocked for the crafting bench.

Once you've created your hideout, you can talk to the masters in town to invite them into your hideout, where they will act as vendors, and give you a daily mission that gives much more reputation than normal. The stuff they have for sale changes each time they level up, or each time you do that master's daily mission. Initially, you can only have 2 masters in your hideout. Once you get a master to level 5, you can talk to them to expand your hideout to allow for 3 masters and more barbie decorations. At level 7 it will expand again to allow for 4 masters.

PRO TIP: Type /claim_crafting_benches in your hideout to get all the benches at once so you don't have to shuffle all the masters into and out of your hideout to get all the benches!

Levelling is slow.
    Well, there's another couple vendor recipes that really help with this!
  • Weapon with +1 to Fire, cold or Lightning gems: 1x Magic (blue) Sceptre or Wand + 1x Orb of Alteration + 1x fire, cold or lightning ring.
  • Weapon with 20 to 89% Increased Physical Damage: 1x Weapon + 1x Blacksmith's Whetstone + 1x Rustic Sash. The rarity of the Rustic Sash will determine how much physical damage you get. Be aware that the higher affixes carry a level requirement.

Other fast levelling tips:

Only stop to kill large group of enemies. Run past individual enemies.

When you get to the town right off the bat, check the armor vendor for any boots with move speed. They may not have any but if they do, buy it. You always want move speed on your boots while levelling.

Wearing chest armor slows you down. Don't equip anything in the chest slot if you feel survivable enough without it.

Some skills are very very good while levelling that you can use and then switch to your main build later. Any skill that lets you do damage while moving forward is typically very good for levelling. As of this writing, fire trap, flame totem, and firestorm are the preferred way of levelling fast for any build that has the str and int requirements to use them. Craft a +1 to fire skills weapon using the recipe mentioned above, put flame totem and firestorm in it, and you are set for a very long time.

From the first quest where you get the medicine chest from the tidal island, take the loving quicksilver flask.

For a full guide on how to level really fast, here is a good video that explains all sorts of things you can do. Don't freak out over the 2 hour duration, the most important information is in the first 15-30 minutes of the video.

What's with these races I hear about?
    Racing owns. Very short duration leagues with (sometimes) crazy modifiers. You get rewards depending on how well you do. Please note that all races are hardcore, but some of them (Descent, Descent Champions, Endless Ledge) still reward you if you've died. Generally they break racing down into seasons lasting a month or two, and you get points depending on how well you do in each race. At the end of the season, the amount of points you have will get you a cool alternate art item reward.

Does this game have pvp?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Player_versus_player

It has several pvp modes that you can queue up for. There are also occassionally cutthroat league races, where anyone can enter anyone else's instance of a zone and kill them and take their loot. But outside of the arranged pvp options and that cutthroat race, there is no pvp otherwise. You can't declare hostility on anyone in your game like in diablo2, if that's what you're wondering.

What's the difference between increased and more?
    'Increased' stacks additively with other 'increased' sources. 'More' stacks multiplicatively with everything. This means that the gem 'Melee Physical Damage' gives you a 30% multiplier to all melee physical attack damage.

The wiki has a good article on this.

Chaos Innoculation is hard.
    Chaos Innoculation sets your health to 1, but makes you immune to chaos damage. You need stun immunity (Eye of Chayula or Unwavering Stance) and some way to escape freezes (Dream Fragments, Wanderlust or potions with the suffix 'of heat'). This is because freeze, chill, stun and shock duration are all based on damage done compared to maximum life. Keep in mind that having any energy shield gives you a 50% to avoid being stunned, so the new witch nodes for stun avoidance while casting really help. You also need to have a plan while levelling, you don't usually spec into chaos innoculation until act 2 merciless, and should have ~4-5k ES before you do. Make sure that you can spec into all the nodes after CI, too, because the last one is massive.

Basically don't do CI unless you know what the hell you're doing.

Hardcore tips?
    There's some harsh mobs. Rhoas, evangelists, devourers, tentacle miscreations, voidbearers are among the top killers. Rhoas will stun the gently caress outta you. Vaal Oversoul is real serious. Watch out for corpse explosion. Keep your flasks up to date. Instant flasks are a huge deal. Dominus will probably gently caress you over if you don't have a bleed removal flask.

Summon Skeleton + Spell totem is really good at keeping things distracted. Blind is also really, really good.

I'm poor as hell.
    Here are some vendor recipes that you should always be on the lookout for.
  • Any item with three linked sockets, one of each colour = 1 chromatic orb
  • Any item with six sockets = 7 jeweller's orb
  • Once you reach level 60 zones, a full set of rare items (meaning helmet, gloves, boots, body armour, belt, two rings, amulet, 2x one-handed / 1x two-handed / 1x bow) vendors for a Chaos Orb. Two if unidentified, three if unidentified + 20% quality. Personally I prefer identifying all rares but it's up to you. If you need more scrolls of wisdom, you can vendor armourer's scraps or transmutation orbs. Try to haul back as many rares as you can to town each time - IDing them and vendoring them will give you alteration orbs and a slow trickle of alchemy orbs.
  • Don't use your currency if you can help it. Trading is almost always better value.
  • Oh and don't bother identifying blues past, like, level 10, unless it's in a slot you really need an upgrade for.

I want to try out this whole trading thing and I joined trade chat and it is just a bunch of spam, this poo poo sucks.

There are a few third party websites and programs that make the trading process so, so much easier. http://poe.trade/ is your friend - it indexes the official trading forums and allows you to search for items that way, filtering on what stats you want. I highly recommend at the bottom, turning "buyouts only" and "online only" to ON. This will show you items from sellers who are both online, and have a price listed they are willing to sell the item for. If you see something you want, first click the "verify" link on the listing - this will check if the seller actually still has the item, assuming they haven't sold it within the last few minutes. If verify checks out, then click the "whisper" link on the listing and copy that entire message to your clipboard and paste it in game. It'll look something like this:

@NameofGuySellingItem Hi, I would like to buy your ItemName listed for X orbs in LeagueName

Generally, they will invite you to their party. Accept, go to the social tab and click the party tab, right click on the seller's name, and click visit hideout. Wait a few seconds for them to find the item in their stash, they will open a trade window and put it up, you put up the currency, mouseover the item, click accept. Say thank you, and leave the party. Most trades are quick and easy and are more like trading with robots than humans. Yeah, sometimes sellers will be AFK or some poo poo, that's just life. Find another seller and move on.

Now, selling stuff is a bit more complicated. First, you'll want to head on over to the official forums and post a thread in the trading forum for the league you're in. Don't put any effort at all whatsoever into the title or formatting of your thread! No sane human is going to be reading any of these threads, they are all just here to get indexed by poe.trade. Now, how do you get poe.trade to index your items?

Here is how to format the contents of your thread to get poe.trade to index your poo poo. When logged into the official site you can browse your stash, and click on items to create links to them that are visible on the forum. Then use the tags as indicated by the previous link to price them. Give poe.trade a bit of time (15-30 minutes maybe) to index your thread and your items should appear on poe.trade for sale. Once your stuff actually appears on poe.trade, if the items are good enough and the price is right, people will send you a whisper asking to buy it, invite them to your group, go to your hideout, trade them the item. Done.

Now you might be thinking, maintaining a forum thread and updating it every time you sell something or find something new is a pain in the rear end. That's because it is. Fortunately, there are a few third party applications that will update your thread for you. One is Procurement,, the other is Acquisition. I'm more familiar with Acquisition, so I'll use it as an example.

Acquisition lets you price items either individually, or by stash tab. You log into acquisition with the PHPsessionID from your browser, and give it your threadID from your shop thread on the forum. It will detect changes to your stash tabs, and update your shop thread accordingly all while running in the background. You can set up a bunch of stash tabs with varying prices. 5 alterations, 1 fusing, 1 chaos, 2chaos, and so on. Play the game, find a decent item, eyeball the price and throw it into the appropriate stash tab. Acquisition will see this, update your shop thread, then poe.trade will see that, and your item appears on poe.trade. Then people will hopefully buy it! All without any interaction from you past the initial setup of acquisition. If your stuff doesn't sell, move the item to a cheaper stash tab. If it still doesn't sell, vendor it and make room for new stuff.

EDIT: Public stash tabs have been added! If you have a premium stash tab, you can right click on it, make it public, and price the items inside of it so that they will be indexed on poe.trade. You no longer need to gently caress aroudn with acquisition or any other third party apps.

Item Filters

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Item_filter

Item filters let you customize how items on the ground appear. You can change the color of the text, the size of the text, play a sound when a certain type of item drops, or hide item altogether. It is extremely customizable and great for making specific things easier to see while hiding clutter. Creating an item filter involves editing a text file - fortunately other people make some pretty drat good filters that you can just download and use yourself. All you have to do is download the text file, plop it in the path of exile folder, rename it, and load it in the in game options screen. Easy. I highly recommend Neversink's item filter, which is a pretty good all purpose filter. Here's an example of what it looks like:

No item filter installed:

With neversink's item filter installed:

Useful Autohotkey Scripts and poo poo

* http://lutbot.com/#/ - Logout, invite-last-whisper, /hideout, /remaining, ladder-overlay and more
* https://github.com/aRTy42/POE-ItemInfo/releases - Item information, are the rolls on the item good, etc.
* https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro - An expanded version of ItemInfo that price checks poo poo.

What endgame content does this game have?

Endgame areas are generated through the map system. Maps are items that start dropping at level 60+ or so. You place a map in the map device in the arcane laboratory in act 3, (the master Zana, who only spawns in maps, can give you a "crafting bench" that lets you create map portals in your hideout) and it generates 6 portals to a high level zone. Dying, or leaving to sell loot, costs you a portal, and once all 6 portals are used up, you can't get back in the map zone you just created. Maps can be modified by currency orbs - you can use an orb of transmutation to make the map magic, and an augment orb to add another mod to it. You can also use alchemy orbs and chaos orbs to reroll rare maps. Mods on the map give bonuses to item rarity, quantity, and monster pack size in the map. Usually the more dangerous mods result in higher bonuses. If your character is good enough to run maps with tough mods, you get significantly more loot.

Beginner maps start at tier 1 and contain level 68 mobs, with the highest and rarest maps being tier 15, or level 82 zones. Note that maps scale up in rarity and difficulty pretty quickly. Just because your character is level 80 doesn't mean you should expect to be doing level 80 maps!

For a much more in depth guide to maps, check this guide out. Covers just about everything you can think of regarding maps.

In addition to maps, there is a boss called atziri that you can fight. The pieces to create the portals to her zone, called fragments, drop in corrupted side areas that spawn randomly anywhere in the game. Atziri has her own unique drop table, and drops her own "uber" fragments that let you create a zone that contains a much tougher version of the fight as well, that drops some of the best items in the game.

Coming with the talisman league, you will be able to fight a boss called Rigvald by sacrificing five tier 3 talismans.

Other than maps and bosses, you can farm dried lake in act 4, which is the best non-map farming area in the game because of its extremely high enemy density. It is also very good for levelling gems, since gems don't get experience penalties for being too high level for the zone.

If you just can't get enough loot, you can try making a character that stacks item rarity and quantity bonuses on gear to get even more drops. These items usually have negative defensive stats, so you typically need to use skills like totems or poison arrow that let you deal damage from far away while running around yourself. If you have a lot of item rarity and quantity on gear, this will stack with the bonuses from a well-rolled map, and result in lots and lots of loot if you avoid dying too often. Some people will start a league with a character like this and use it to bankroll a "good" build that is more dependent on expensive items, and then use that build to work their way up to high level mapping.

Commonly used acronyms for discussing builds and poo poo in this game

Read posted:

CI - Chaos Innoculation (1 HP & Immune to Chaos dmg)
EB - Eldritch Battery (ES becomes mana)
MoM - Mind over Matter (30% of dmg goes to mana)
RT - Resolute Technique (Never miss, never crit)
BM - Blood Magic (Use hp for skills instead of mana)
IR - Iron Reflexes (Evasion converted to armour)

IC - Immortal Call
CWDT, CoC - Cast When Damage Taken, Cast on Crit
LMP/GMP - Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles
HoI/T/A - Herald of Ice/Thunder/Ash
WED - Weapon Elemental Damage
ST - Spectral Throw
EK - Ethereal Knives

DoT - Damage over time (like poison)
Aoe - Area of effect (anything that affects an area, like ice nova or whatever)
SC/HC - Softcore (standard) / Hardcore
IIR/IIQ - Increased Item Rarity/Quantity
MF - Magic Find (see IIR/IIQ)

Old thread

Some useful links, mostly stolen from the even older thread:

Here's some gifs that are too big:
Mjolner Ball Lightning
Incinerate
Lightning Arrow
Spectral Throw
Just a cool dude

Thanks to everyone who posted information in previous OPs that I kept for this one. If I've left anything out, or something needs to be corrected, let me know. If you PM me asking for a guild invite I might call you a dumbass.

J fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ascendancy Official Site
Ascendancy Classes

Features:

quote:

Trials of Ascendancy
Six types of lethal traps have been crafted by Izaro into elaborate puzzle rooms - an entirely new gameplay type for Path of Exile.

The Lord's Labyrinth
An entirely new system for generating sequences of random areas, the overall layout of the Labyrinth shifts every day, uncovering new puzzles and secrets.

Emperor Izaro
You will face Izaro multiple times during the Labyrinth and the fight will evolve depending on your actions in previous encounters.

Ascendancy Classes
There are 19 new Ascendancy classes, each with its own additional Ascendancy Skill Tree to master.

Enchantments
Izaro's power can also be used to infuse items with powerful magic. These enchantments trigger specific skills and effects to occur on certain conditions. Each time the Labyrinth is completed, you may add one of these enchantments to an item.

New Skills
Ascendancy introduces a set of devastating new skills and support gems to customize your character with.

New Items
Featuring dozens of Unique Items and Divination Cards designed by Path of Exile's community, Ascendancy adds tantalizing power for players to discover.

Ascendancy Skill Gem Previews

Earthquake
Stone Golem
Ancestral Protector
Sunder
Frost Bomb and Orb of Storms
Ice Trap and Cluster Trap

J fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 25, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hello

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Some Insanely Big Booty from the death throes of darkshrine. I'll miss you~

Oh yeah, that deodre's dropped corrupted with cast speed implicit!

Note the FPS graph on that second picture...that's the difference between standing around 40 bodies and around 400 bodies.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 8, 2015

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

This is disgusting and you should be ashamed.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
My Darkshrine haul is a bunch of q20s and buying an exalt at about ~30% off Standard chaos prices

I think the one-month had exponential rewards for time investment

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

ronya posted:

My Darkshrine haul is a bunch of q20s and buying an exalt at about ~30% off Standard chaos prices

I think the one-month had exponential rewards for time investment

Well not really, all you would have to do to make the most money possible is to dump all your money into spamming 'seek the apex'...this would result in very linear returns, not exponential, and returns that are both way more valuable on the back end and require way less currency and time on the front end.

I did that for a little while but it was pretty boring. If I had a build I REALLY liked I might have done more, but I ended up specced into EA which, while pretty great for corrupting tempests, was not a type of playstyle that I personally enjoyed alot. The thrill of getting the stars to align and spawning the perfect corrupting tempest zone was pretty awesome, even if not near as profitable as seek the apex.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 8, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Hot drat I should have played darkshrines to bank up stuff for standard. I know, it's disgusting playing standard but I just don't have the time/patience to keep starting over again.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been too busy these past few months to have played lootsplosion league :(

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
This is always the most fun part of the game for me: new season with a new skill tree. It's so fun to fiddle around a planner to get your build just right, and then work on finding every single point efficiency you can.

But seriously GGG, who thought "we put 1 more 5% maximum life for Shadow...on a max ES & Evasion node that takes 2 points to get to. SHIP IT" was a good idea?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Oh, so THAT's why people were buying jewels in mass?

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
Nice OP, this game is fun and cool and it's a great time for new and old players to start up. I haven't seen any other ARPG updated so frequently, consistently and substantially and each league reset has given me a great excuse to come back and try out a new skill, build and character.

Didn't play Darkshrine much (which by the lootsplosions looks like it was a bad choice) but I'm looking forward to the new Talisman/Ascendancy updates!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing something with chaos damage this league. It's going to either be a pure chaos caster, a physical spell + poison caster, or voltaxic rift lightning arrow. Except the righthand side of the tree is now strange and weird and I can't seem to make it work how I want to.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MannersPlease posted:

Note the FPS graph on that second picture...that's the difference between standing around 40 bodies and around 400 bodies.

Let me use that hegemony staff. :)

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm doing something with chaos damage this league. It's going to either be a pure chaos caster, a physical spell + poison caster, or voltaxic rift lightning arrow. Except the righthand side of the tree is now strange and weird and I can't seem to make it work how I want to.

There's also a chaos/dot wheel up in Witch right next to the curse wheel, which is handy if you want to Dual Curse Blasphemy. Chaos DoTs while running Temp Chains + Vuln as auras.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
That keystone map is horribly outdated.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I really like the idea of Blade Vortex, but have been having a hard time figuring out a way to make it the primary attack. Best I've come up with so far is using at as an adjunct to Righteous Fire: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAACGfYTRW4V-GUoMhb-WXaYpYyIcNodJDW-eiCx0GHHb6cvrc-M4cNH4PM_goD7jwoPC3Yvcaug18LYQxfxPavbBynJ-1o8lOlBg4ZLnwO8B_UfNlhp1WiAAn2Vw2tjVugBLPxrJZs85vPfkPIwGYpLpHOaGV2rE8EPAV8uLvtn9_vfBo-mjtfP-08gpsUIPZI1absOO8OxFjkIjrYUEc9_BpsAZFYY52uNukt0sbYpwgDdSSqnz7r7pErFm-a4IUyWHfjakWdXwRTUg==
That's dependent on Blade Vortex actually doing "Hits" to leech from Warlord's Mark though. Anyone know if that should work?

Otherwise I guess RF still has to wait until Rise of the Phoenix at lvl 65.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Blade Vortex is a spell, so no, it never hits.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Warlord's Mark works fully with spells

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

AegisP posted:

Blade Vortex is a spell, so no, it never hits.

Spells hit. They aren't attacks though, so physical attack damage leeched as life doesn't count. The only things that don't count as hits are DOTs, of which the only one that's self-cast I can think of is Righteous Fire.
That said, Blade Vortex definitely won't be consistently leeching enough to make up for a lack of Rise of the Phoenix.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It is Poacher's Mark that is on-hit and works only with Hits caused by Attacks.

I didn't realize you could now aurify Warlord's Mark for the elemental leech. Hmm. On the other hand, there's ele leech from tree now, so maybe it just doesn't matter so much.

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 8, 2015

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yea, I was thinking of Life Gain on Hit as well for the purposes of what it likes for Hits, oh well.

Edit:

ronya posted:

I didn't realize you could now aurify Warlord's Mark for the elemental leech. Hmm. On the other hand, there's ele leech from tree now, so maybe it just doesn't matter so much.

It probably depends on what you're doing. If you're trying to Double Aura Curse on the tree, it's unhelpfully in the opposite direction from the new Ele Leech nodes, so you might just put in Warlord's Mark in there to make up that Leech plus gain Endurance Charge generation and stuns. Or if it tailors more, go Poacher's/Assassin's for the Life on Kill/Hit & other charge generation as well as a secondary aura curse.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 8, 2015

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Only thing I am not liking about the new shadow tree is how little life there is. I kinda want to do a new poison build but I don't want to die if I get sneezed on.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Am I mistaken, or does Blade Vortex look like it was made for the explicit purpose of Cast on Crit Cyclone?

Any idea if it'd be better than CoC Cyclone Discharge with a Voll's Protector?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It has a relatively short cast time and a relatively long duration that can be increased, so you can self-cast build it. The advantages being you can have your stacks of Blade Vortex up before you wade into the mobs/boss, and then lawnmower through them. But yes, CoC Cylcone's what a lot of people considered considering what it does.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I'm not sure a life/es/eva hybrid is really viable. GGG appears to want it, given how the tree is laid out, but I dunno. Maybe if Acro/Phase Acro didn't impose any ES penalty?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MannersPlease posted:

Can I have some of those six links? :kiddo:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

This is it. This is going to be the league where I actually design my own build.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

vOv posted:

This is it. This is going to be the league where I actually design my own build.

I feel like this is what GGG wants you to be doing anyways, the game is leaning closer and closer to being like this.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I feel like this is what GGG wants you to be doing anyways, the game is leaning closer and closer to being like this.

Yeah, they've done a pretty good job of making a shitton of different builds at least map-viable, even if not optimal.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Welp, looks like another league of Scion & Marauder everywhere! Why they decided to nerf the life on the right side of the tree I will never understand.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

Welp, looks like another league of Scion & Marauder everywhere! Why they decided to nerf the life on the right side of the tree I will never understand.

um how was it nerfed

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Evasion builds have to build around on taking occasional hits, and so have to have more life, not less life; evasion is not a substitute for life. Armour is a substitute for life. There shouldn't be a giant evasion wheel near the Scion, it should be a giant armour wheel, with the life wheel moved to the other side.

But it would be a lot of redesign work to correct that, so maybe they're taking it bit by bit.

Kild posted:

um how was it nerfed

pathing past all the scattered life passive groups is a bit trickier now, they reduced the point efficiency a bit

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Kild posted:

um how was it nerfed

A couple of the %life nodes near the Shadow tree got nerfed , Blood Siphon in particular. That cluster went from 24% life for 3 points to 20%. The extra %life went over to Nullification, which means you need to spend an extra 2 skill points to get 1% more total life than you had before, which is utter poo poo.

If you want to start as a Ranger/Witch/Shadow and be life-based you're basically forced to take the Scion life wheel.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

A couple of the %life nodes near the Shadow tree got nerfed , Blood Siphon in particular. That cluster went from 24% life for 3 points to 20%. The extra %life went over to Nullification, which means you need to spend an extra 2 skill points to get 1% more total life than you had before, which is utter poo poo.

If you want to start as a Ranger/Witch/Shadow and be life-based you're basically forced to take the Scion life wheel.

Thats literally the only one I see nerfed and its only 4%.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

definitely not though

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Kild posted:

Thats literally the only one I see nerfed and its only 4%.

"Only 4%" is really lovely when you consider how much more life Marauder/Scion/Templar/Duelist get access to on the left side of the tree.

There currently isn't a compelling reason to start on the right side of the tree when you can only get like 135% life as opposed to like, 180% (without taking the Scion life wheel, which was my complaint)

Look at the class distribution for Darkshrine, both SC and HC. Top 100 spots are all dominated by Marauder/Scion, with like 80% showing between the two of them

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 8, 2015

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
If you're heading for the Power Charge, it costs two points instead of one to get to Written in Blood, which is amongst the better life groups (4+4+4+8, and 10 str).

Whether or not Blood Drinker (6+8+6) is now in a worse position for you depends on your build, I guess. Same with Revenge of the Hunted (4+4+4+4+4).

My favourite character actually saves a few points with the changes, and the Evasion and Energy Shield north of Nullification is usable as a travel node to the Power Charge (I wasn't getting Written in Blood anyway). I also get more bow crit, even more than the loss to non-specific crit.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 8, 2015

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Going to start a new melee character in the next league. Whats a fun build to aim for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
You can end up with a 190% life starting Ranger if you take literally every right side Shadow & Ranger % life node (excluding Melding which is the ES/life hybrid wheel), and then pathing into Duelist to pickup Golem's Blood and Bravery.

Shadow's at a slight disadvantage compared to Ranger as they don't immediately have 17% max life within the first 5 points.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 8, 2015

• Locked thread